PDA

View Full Version : Redskin rumor mill stuff. Could affect us...

Coogs
04-15-2005, 07:58 AM
From GBN...

’Cane mutiny’ may impact CB draft… With a number of former Miami Hurricanes including Giants’ TE Jeremy Shockey and WR Santana Moss and DB Sean Taylor, both of the Redskins, opting to workout in South Florida this spring rather than attend their respective teams voluntary off-season workouts, there has been some idle speculation about that some teams around the league may factor that possibility into their final grade on current Hurricane prospects like CB Antrel Rolle. Washington, for example, has a major need at CB after trading away Champ Bailey last year and losing Fred Smoot to free agent this past winter and has reportedly been looking hard at Rolle, along with Pacman Jones of West Virginia and Carlos Rogers of Auburn, as potential prospects for the 9th pick overall. While it may not affect their final decision, it apparently hasn’t escaped the notice of the Redskins’ brass that Moss and Taylor are not working out with their teammates in Washington; while there are no appreciable character issues with Rolle, the Redskins would hate to see another key player wintering in Miami. In fact, there is some speculation that the Redskins may actually be leaning toward selecting Rogers. If, indeed, Rogers is their man, the Redskins could also then think seriously about dropping down several spots in the draft if the right deal came along. And while the Redskins have made little effort to hide the fact that they are seriously considering taking one of the top three CBs with their 1st round pick, they are also looking at WRs and have had most of the top prospects at the position in for visits recently. As well, the Redskins also had Maryland DE Shawne Merriman, arguably the top-rated defensive prospect in this year’s draft field, in for a visit.

bricks
04-15-2005, 08:08 AM
I seriously doubt we are going to end up with a top CB in this years draft. the reason i say this is, the way I hear speculation and the way things are going, it seems like will all the top CB's be gone by the time we pick. The 3 teams we gotta watch out for are San Fran, Arizona, and Washington. San Fran has said they will be willing to trade down if that means acquiring Rolle, Arizona is looking to trade for Travis Henry so they don't have to draft a RB in the 1st, and possibly select Rolle. Now Washington, oh boy....I don't think we are going to end up with either Rolle, Rodgers, or Jones. the Surtain trade definately makes a lot more sense now.

shaneo69
04-15-2005, 08:19 AM
I seriously doubt we are going to end up with a top CB in this years draft. the reason i say this is, the way I hear speculation and the way things are going, it seems like will all the top CB's be gone by the time we pick. The 3 teams we gotta watch out for are San Fran, Arizona, and Washington. San Fran has said they will be willing to trade down if that means acquiring Rolle, Arizona is looking to trade for Travis Henry so they don't have to draft a RB in the 1st, and possibly select Rolle. Now Washington, oh boy....I don't think we are going to end up with either Rolle, Rodgers, or Jones. the Surtain trade definately makes a lot more sense now.

Don't forget Tennessee. I think they will take Rolle if he's there. If not, I've heard they have a deal in place with Andre Dyson to bring him back, but only if they're unable to draft the CB they want.

Cochise
04-15-2005, 08:20 AM
I also don't think we are going to get Derrick Johnson or one of the big 3 corners in this draft without moving up.

Coogs
04-15-2005, 12:08 PM
Some more stuff from GBN that could affect us that was just added to their site...

Ravens looking to move up… While most teams around the league appear to be far more interested in moving down in next week’s draft, Baltimore reportedly has their eyes on one of the top WRs and would be willing to move up from the 22nd spot overall to get their man. The Ravens are said to be particularly interested in Southern Cal WR Mike Williams, but would have to move up to close to the top 10 - at least – to get him. If Williams turns out to out of reach, Oklahoma WR Mark Clayton may be the Ravens’ fallback target at receiver; Clayton, though, is likely to go in the top 20 so Baltimore would still be forced to move up at least a few spots. Like just about every team in the league, though, the Ravens are leaving their options open and would also be willing to move down. And failing to get a top WR, they could look to upgrade at DE to smooth the transition to a 4-3 base defense. Indeed, the Ravens have had DE prospects David Pollack of Georgia, Matt Roth of Iowa and Oklahoma’s Dan Cody in for visits in recent days.

Cards looking at CB early; RB later… Arizona has long been thought to have been interested in electing one of this year’s top RBs – again Auburn’s Ronnie Brown or Carnell Williams or Cedric Benson of Texas – with the 8th pick overall. There are some rumblings out of the desert, though, that Cardinals’ head coach Dennis Green is enamored with California RB J.J. Arrington which could open the door to the Cardinals opting to select a CB with the team’s first pick before taking the speedy Arrington in the second round. As we say stay tuned!

ChiefsCountry
04-15-2005, 12:14 PM
Cards looking at CB early; RB later… Arizona has long been thought to have been interested in electing one of this year’s top RBs – again Auburn’s Ronnie Brown or Carnell Williams or Cedric Benson of Texas – with the 8th pick overall. There are some rumblings out of the desert, though, that Cardinals’ head coach Dennis Green is enamored with California RB J.J. Arrington which could open the door to the Cardinals opting to select a CB with the team’s first pick before taking the speedy Arrington in the second round. As we say stay tuned!

If one of the Quarterbacks fell to Arizona, look for them to go that route and get Arrington in the 2nd round. Which for the Cards, would be a good way to go.

Tribal Warfare
04-15-2005, 12:18 PM
I also don't think we are going to get Derrick Johnson or one of the big 3 corners in this draft without moving up.

I think it's very possible

Coogs
04-15-2005, 12:24 PM
If one of the Quarterbacks fell to Arizona, look for them to go that route and get Arrington in the 2nd round. Which for the Cards, would be a good way to go.

Here is some more from GBN with regards to the QB's...

QBs to go 1-2… According to a report in the Miami Herald, Miami has pretty much decided to take Utah QB Alex Smith with the second pick overall at the 2005 draft, if they keep the selection. If is the operative word, however. According to the same report, the Dolphins have had talks with Tampa Bay about swapping the 2nd and 5th picks with the Buccaneers reportedly interested in Smith for themselves. The sticking point to the deal though may be what Tampa Bay has to give up in return. The Dolphins appear to want the Buccaneers second and third round picks, in addition to the 5th selection overall, however, the Buccaneers are concerned about losing their entire first day to get just one player. It had been pretty much the consensus around the league that the Dolphins would take Auburn RB Ronnie Brown with the #2 pick, however, Miami will certainly be in a position to select one of this year’s top backs – either Brown, his Auburn teammate Carnell Williams or Cedric Benson of Texas – with the 5th pick overall. Indeed, there’s a good chance the Dolphins could end up with Brown with the 5th pick overall. Assuming San Francisco takes California Aaron Rodgers with the first pick overall, and Smith goes second, Michigan WR Braylon Edwards is likely to go third overall, either to Cleveland which currently holds the pick, or to a team that trades up to grab him. Then if Chicago opts for a WR like Mike Williams of Southern Cal rather than Brown, the Auburn star would be available at #5. And, of course, if he isn’t Auburn’s Williams or Benson would still be there.

ChiefsCountry
04-15-2005, 12:32 PM
Here is some more from GBN with regards to the QB's...

QBs to go 1-2… According to a report in the Miami Herald, Miami has pretty much decided to take Utah QB Alex Smith with the second pick overall at the 2005 draft, if they keep the selection. If is the operative word, however. According to the same report, the Dolphins have had talks with Tampa Bay about swapping the 2nd and 5th picks with the Buccaneers reportedly interested in Smith for themselves. The sticking point to the deal though may be what Tampa Bay has to give up in return. The Dolphins appear to want the Buccaneers second and third round picks, in addition to the 5th selection overall, however, the Buccaneers are concerned about losing their entire first day to get just one player. It had been pretty much the consensus around the league that the Dolphins would take Auburn RB Ronnie Brown with the #2 pick, however, Miami will certainly be in a position to select one of this year’s top backs – either Brown, his Auburn teammate Carnell Williams or Cedric Benson of Texas – with the 5th pick overall. Indeed, there’s a good chance the Dolphins could end up with Brown with the 5th pick overall. Assuming San Francisco takes California Aaron Rodgers with the first pick overall, and Smith goes second, Michigan WR Braylon Edwards is likely to go third overall, either to Cleveland which currently holds the pick, or to a team that trades up to grab him. Then if Chicago opts for a WR like Mike Williams of Southern Cal rather than Brown, the Auburn star would be available at #5. And, of course, if he isn’t Auburn’s Williams or Benson would still be there.

Thats odd of the Dolphins taking a QB. I know Feeley sucked last season, but so the did the whole Dolphins offense. A stud running back would take pressure off of him. I still think this is just a ploy the Dolphins are using.

Coogs
04-15-2005, 12:35 PM
Thats odd of the Dolphins taking a QB. I know Feeley sucked last season, but so the did the whole Dolphins offense. A stud running back would take pressure off of him. I still think this is just a ploy the Dolphins are using.

Could be. But if you look at that piece a bit closer, you will see that Tampa Bay wants to trade up with Miami to make sure they get Smith. Since TB picks 5th, I would suspect Smith last no longer than 5th come next Saturday.

OmahaChief
04-15-2005, 01:47 PM
The guys that go down to the U to train always come into camp in shape. Most of them in better shape then the other players. Sounds to me like the typical smokescreen stuff that is thrown up every year. Every Cane that Washington has is a big time performer for them so I highly doubt they would pass on another playmakers becuase he does not train at the voluntary crap in Washington.

Spicy McHaggis
04-15-2005, 01:54 PM
The guys that go down to the U to train always come into camp in shape. Most of them in better shape then the other players. Sounds to me like the typical smokescreen stuff that is thrown up every year. Every Cane that Washington has is a big time performer for them so I highly doubt they would pass on another playmakers becuase he does not train at the voluntary crap in Washington.

Homer :p

Ninjaman
04-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Who cares what shape they are in. If their employer tells them something then you do it !

This voluntary clause is stupid then. It's not voluntary. Why the hell do these guys even have an extensive offseason. Most of them don't get seriously injured.

IMost of these playboys don't want to work for a living. They want to just play.

Nice gig to only work for half a year and then complain about about working in the town you were hired by.

In another post ,Surtain wants to stay in Miami. Probably to hang at the beach. These players are spoiled and couldn't survive in this country except as ditch diggers.