PDA

View Full Version : Top 4 players in the draft in the 49ers eyes

BigChiefFan
04-15-2005, 11:03 AM
Looks like the top 4 players, at least in the 49ers eyes are QB Aaron Rodgers, WR Braylon Edwards, QB Alex Smith, and CB Antrel Rolle. According to ESPN they are negotiating contracts with all 4 players, with Aaron Rodgers likely to be their pick. Just thought I'd pass along for the Antrel Rolle lovers. He's way gone before we pick. If he goes in the top 5, I'm concerned Carlos Rogers will be gone way before 15, as well.

Mr. Laz
04-15-2005, 12:14 PM
Looks like the top 4 players, at least in the 49ers eyes are QB Aaron Rodgers, WR Braylon Edwards, QB Alex Smith, and CB Antrel Rolle. According to ESPN they are negotiating contracts with all 4 players, with Aaron Rodgers likely to be their pick. Just thought I'd pass along for the Antrel Rolle lovers. He's way gone before we pick. If he goes in the top 5, I'm concerned Carlos Rogers will be gone way before 15, as well.
repost ...

but lets just hope they don't pick antrel rolle

go bowe
04-15-2005, 12:32 PM
i dunno...

taking rodgers makes too much sense for carl/dammit...

i doubt we get him...

after all, i'm sure that there are several reaches available at dt and te...

what's the first and second round for, anyway?

it's project time...

lately, it seems that we draft our starters in the fourth and fifth rounds (see allen and fujita)...

thank heavens we have lots of picks in the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th rounds...

crossbow
04-15-2005, 12:52 PM
repost ...

but lets just hope they don't pick antrel rolle

They need a QB and so do the Browns. If he is gone do you still go for a corner or look for the the best defensive player available? I would do the latter and not reach for a corner. But then Carl and company love to reach in the first two rounds.

CosmicPal
04-15-2005, 01:03 PM
I heard yesterday, they were no longer interested in Rolle.

Mr. Laz
04-15-2005, 01:07 PM
I heard yesterday, they were no longer interested in Rolle.

:clap: hopefully... the further Rolle falls, the better chance we have of getting Rogers.

ChiefsCountry
04-15-2005, 01:07 PM
i dunno...

taking rodgers makes too much sense for carl/dammit...

The QB from Cal?

I think you mean Rogers, the CB from Auburn.

Brock
04-15-2005, 01:08 PM
this would be a bad year to take a QB at the top of the first round. These guys don't quite measure up to what's been there the past few years.

the Talking Can
04-15-2005, 01:11 PM
This is a bad year to have a top 5 pick....it's all luck, sometimes you get Ron Mexico, sometimes you get some QB from Utah

ChiefsCountry
04-15-2005, 01:11 PM
this would be a bad year to take a QB at the top of the first round. These guys don't quite measure up to what's been there the past few years.

True, but with the salary cap and rookie pay scale, QB is the only logical choice for #1 overall pick bc of money. Left tackle would be the only other position I could see that it would probally be worthy to pay the money for.

Cochise
04-15-2005, 01:17 PM
DJ, Rolle, Rogers and Jones will all be gone when the 15th pick comes up. I just hope we are not still picking 15th.

Cochise
04-15-2005, 01:18 PM
This is a bad year to have a top 5 pick....it's all luck, sometimes you get Ron Mexico, sometimes you get some QB from Utah

I'll take some QB from Utah plz.

Tribal Warfare
04-15-2005, 01:26 PM
DJ, Rolle, Rogers and Jones will all be gone when the 15th pick comes up. I just hope we are not still picking 15th.

I still believe KC will tradeup if he's in range though

Cochise
04-15-2005, 01:47 PM
I still believe KC will tradeup if he's in range though

I don't think so. I don't see that killer instinct this offseason.

They have had shots at all 3 top corners this offseason. Haven't pulled the trigger on a big time deal for any one of them but brought in a safety instead.

They had shots at both the top 2 linebackers, and got the cheaper, higher risk one, when the position is a huge hole on the team.

People like Pryce or Abraham may come available on the defensive line; they traded a low value pick for a project player.

I don't hate our offseason so far. I want to believe they will land Derrick Johnson. But what have we done this offseason that makes you think they are going to pull the trigger on a big deal like that?

If I were a betting man, I would bet a goodly sum that Carl is either going to sit at 15 and hope the player he wants drops there, or trade down and draft multiple tweeners in the second.

beer bacon
04-15-2005, 01:53 PM
I don't think so. I don't see that killer instinct this offseason.

They have had shots at all 3 top corners this offseason. Haven't pulled the trigger on a big time deal for any one of them but brought in a safety instead.

They had shots at both the top 2 linebackers, and got the cheaper, higher risk one, when the position is a huge hole on the team.

People like Pryce or Abraham may come available on the defensive line; they traded a low value pick for a project player.

I don't hate our offseason so far. I want to believe they will land Derrick Johnson. But what have we done this offseason that makes you think they are going to pull the trigger on a big deal like that?

If I were a betting man, I would bet a goodly sum that Carl is either going to sit at 15 and hope the player he wants drops there, or trade down and draft multiple tweeners in the second.

We offered good contracts to both Hartwell and Trotter. I don't really see how we didn't have a "killer instinct" with those two. I could see how Samari Rolle could fall under that heading, but I am still confident that we will trade for Surtain. If Carl felt like he had any real competition he wouldn't be willing to wait until the draft to do the trade. I have seen more aggressiveness out of Carl/the FO this offseason then in a long time.

Cochise
04-15-2005, 02:00 PM
We offered good contracts to both Hartwell and Trotter. I don't really see how we didn't have a "killer instinct" with those two. I could see how Samari Rolle could fall under that heading, but I am still confident that we will trade for Surtain. If Carl felt like he had any real competition he wouldn't be willing to wait until the draft to do the trade. I have seen more aggressiveness out of Carl/the FO this offseason then in a long time.

Moving into the top 5, which IMO is what it's going to take, would be a blockbuster trade.

Signing Rolle, Law, Trotter, or Hartwell would have been blockbuster but it sounds like we lowballed all of them. They got Bell, which I like, but trading into the top 5 doesn't seem like the Chiefs style, especially after they got burned on Sims.

It's the way this FO operates. They don't typically go get upper echelon talent at upper echelon prices. They bargain shop, and to their credit sometimes it works a la Holmes.

I don't see them paying what it will cost to move into the top 5. I'd be the happiest man in the world if I were wrong. But, I can't see it.

Lzen
04-15-2005, 02:07 PM
Moving into the top 5, which IMO is what it's going to take, would be a blockbuster trade.

Signing Rolle, Law, Trotter, or Hartwell would have been blockbuster but it sounds like we lowballed all of them. They got Bell, which I like, but trading into the top 5 doesn't seem like the Chiefs style, especially after they got burned on Sims.

It's the way this FO operates. They don't typically go get upper echelon talent at upper echelon prices. They bargain shop, and to their credit sometimes it works a la Holmes.

I don't see them paying what it will cost to move into the top 5. I'd be the happiest man in the world if I were wrong. But, I can't see it.

From what I understand, we haven't lowballed Law. In fact, we have yet to make him an offer. We're waiting to see how he looks after he gets that boot off. And we offered more to Trotter than the Eagles. He just wanted to stay with Philly.

beer bacon
04-15-2005, 02:13 PM

The highest I could see them trading up to would be about 7 or 8. I don't have a problem with that.

I think you are projecting. Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember us as having offered a contract that was substantially better then the contract Trotter accepted from the Eagles. I also remember the news being that the original contract we offered Hartwell was good as well, better then just about any other contract offer he got. Was this just all BS?

As far as CBs, I think that the Rolle fiasco was just about the low point of our offseason. That was handled horribly. We shouldn't be doing anything with Law until he is healed. It would be pretty silly to sign a crippled aging CB to a huge contract before knowing if he will even be able to play next season. I was also frustrated with not bring Smoot in at all before he signed elsewhere. I will still be very happy if we trade for Surtain.

Will you change your tune at all if we sign Surtain? I don't believe Gretz at all about his claims on the contract agreement. I think he is just being used by Carl as a bargaining tool.

Cochise
04-15-2005, 02:14 PM
From what I understand, we haven't lowballed Law. In fact, we have yet to make him an offer. We're waiting to see how he looks after he gets that boot off. And we offered more to Trotter than the Eagles. He just wanted to stay with Philly.

Law, I understand, but if they wanted to be sure they got Trotter they could have offered him more. He wasn't visiting other places just to be doing it. He was testing the waters but ended up staying for a little less.

The point is, I don't see evidence of a history of the Chiefs going after the #1 player in free agency or the #1 player on the draft board. The plan always seems to be second-teir talent, second teir prices. Derrick Johnson is not a second-teir linebacker in this draft and will cost a lot in the combined picks and contract it will cost a team to move up to him.

Like I said, hope I'm wrong, but I bet it doesn't happen. It makes too much sense.

beer bacon
04-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Law, I understand, but if they wanted to be sure they got Trotter they could have offered him more. He wasn't visiting other places just to be doing it. He was testing the waters but ended up staying for a little less.

The point is, I don't see evidence of a history of the Chiefs going after the #1 player in free agency or the #1 player on the draft board. The plan always seems to be second-teir talent, second teir prices. Derrick Johnson is not a second-teir linebacker in this draft and will cost a lot in the combined picks and contract it will cost a team to move up to him.

Like I said, hope I'm wrong, but I bet it doesn't happen. It makes too much sense.

As far as I understand it, Trotter took substantially less to sign with the Eagles. He got what, 5 years 15 million with a 3.5 million dollar SB? I thought it was reported we had offered him like 4+ million a year and 6.5 million dollar SB or something.

The just I got from the whole Trotter thing is that he was just using us and the Bengals to drive up his price with the Eagles. The Bengals sniffed it out too and sent him back to the Eagles.