PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in Bird land?

redbrian
04-15-2005, 11:28 AM
Slow day thought I'd stir the pot a little.

Posted on Fri, Apr. 15, 2005

Fans sparse at Kansas banquet

By JASON KING

The Kansas City Star

LAWRENCE — After four years of playing in front of sold-out crowds, the Kansas Jayhawks finally experienced the lonesome feeling of a half-empty arena Thursday.

Only about 300 fans showed up at 2,024-seat Lied Center to pay homage to KU's seniors at the team's season-ending banquet. The sparse gathering provided painful proof that fans were still stinging from last month's NCAA Tournament loss to Bucknell.

“If you're talking about the attendance and whether it was disappointing … it probably was for the guys,” KU coach Bill Self said. “They're used to seeing more people than were here tonight. I don't think it was very well advertised.”

Kansas seniors Wayne Simien, Keith Langford, Aaron Miles and Michael Lee did their best to mask any hurt they may have felt while giving their final speeches as Jayhawks. Each made a point to thank the fans that did attend the usually sold-out event.

Langford said afterward that he had expected a bigger turnout.

“The fans that came, I definitely appreciate,” Langford said. “They're the ones that showed their true colors. They showed they're behind us no matter what happens on the floor or how we end up.

“The ones that didn't show up can sit behind their desks and computers and complain until next season.”

KU's senior class helped lead the Jayhawks to three Big 12 titles, two Final Fours and an Elite Eight. But the freshest memory is last month's opening-round loss to Bucknell.

Self tried his best to make sure Simien, Lee, Miles and Langford were remembered for the right reasons.

“Regardless of how things ended, it doesn't take away from who you are,” Self said. “These guys were first class, and they'll be remembered as first class.”

• GALINDO ATTENDS: Although he intends to transfer, freshman wing Alex Galindo joined his former teammates at Thursday's banquet. Galindo said he will take an official visit to Florida International this weekend.

Sergio Rouco, who discovered Galindo in a Puerto Rican youth league, just completed his first year as the school's head coach.

“He's the coach that helped me when I came to the States,” Galindo said. “He's the person I trust the most.”

Galindo said he planned to take all five visits allowed by the NCAA. He cited “personal reasons” for his decision to leave KU. Homesickness was a factor.

KCWolfman
04-15-2005, 12:53 PM
Only 300 to a usually sold-out dinner?

Boy, the bandwagon emptied fast. I wonder if everyone had a prior engagement in North Carolina?

Demonpenz
04-15-2005, 12:56 PM
thats what happens when you schedule it on gay pride day

Soupnazi
04-15-2005, 01:00 PM

ROFL :thumb:

Archie F. Swin
04-15-2005, 01:11 PM

that's rep with a pink ribbon on it! :clap:

Lzen
04-15-2005, 01:12 PM

Bad, very bad. :cuss:

I don't ever attend those kinda things. But I would imagine that some fans were probably disappointed with the seniors' effort(more than anything) in that loss to Bucknell. Aw well, what can we do? We're only fans.

KcMizzou
04-15-2005, 01:50 PM
ROFL

Perfect... 10/10