PDA

View Full Version : Time for a few big Thank-you's to some Chiefs Planeteers!

alnorth
04-15-2005, 11:45 AM
Most of you probably dont remember it since it was about 6 weeks ago, but early March I asked for help and advice for my first serious job interview, and I got a lot of helpful responces. A month after the interview I began to think I didnt get the position, but I finally got the call this afternoon. I'm headed to Des Moines after graduation! (how far is that from Arrowhead stadium?)

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=111321

(begin Oscar acceptance speech)

Anyway, I cant thank everyone who gave advice since there were so many, but I do want to mention the people who spent a lot of time and effort in their posts helping me out.

First and foremost, Rainman, your post was awesome. Truely spectacular. Your top-10 list of what not to do based on idiotic blunders you saw from the hiring manager's point of view was definitely helpful.

OmahaChief was also awesome with the helpful tips. I didnt have a clue what a Double Windsor knot was, but it looked good. I also did my research on the company and was ready for the inevitable "So, what do you know about our business?" question.

xxxshogunxxx you didnt say much and probably figured your post was a simple little reply, but your example of an interview question you heard was read to me almost verbatim. I wouldnt have been prepared for that one if you didnt post.

Hoover's lunch ettiquette tips were great (I went with a salad if you were curious, looked safe to me)

trndobrd helped as well with suggestions about questions I should have ready.

Iowanian and jspchief, thanks for the info on my new home state.

Phobia, thanks for your words also.

dtebbe, your post was brief, but you said a lot in a few words. I probably would have been more passive if I hadnt read it, but you convinced me to change my approach.

There were other people too, but my 90 seconds are up and I am being pushed off the stage. Again, thanks everybody!

(end Oscar acceptance speech)

jspchief
04-15-2005, 11:49 AM
Hey cool. Welcome to IA, Kevin Costner thinks it's better than heaven.

Don't be afraid to hit me up for any questions you have about the area

Phobia
04-15-2005, 01:06 PM
Kick ass. So, when we ask for donations to help with expenses this weekend, you'll be prepared to kick in 10% of your salary? ChiefsPlanet tithes?

Hoover
04-15-2005, 01:10 PM
Sweet, now we all want 0.05% of you yearly Gross Income

Hoover
04-15-2005, 01:10 PM
The fat kid helps out the eating stuff.........

ptlyon
04-15-2005, 01:28 PM
Ah yes. Iowa is starting to pull in all of the planet members. Pretty soon we will have them all here!

:Pinky:

ENDelt260
04-15-2005, 01:31 PM
I'm headed to Des Moines after graduation!

Ouch. Tough break, kid.

j/k. Congratulations.

Demonpenz
04-15-2005, 01:34 PM
my mom says theres alot of black people in des moines

ENDelt260
04-15-2005, 01:38 PM
my mom says theres alot of black people in des moines
I heard Fred moved so they're back down to six.

ptlyon
04-15-2005, 01:51 PM
Wait til Al finds out that our state song is "She thinks my tractor's sexy"

ENDelt260
04-15-2005, 02:08 PM
Wait til Al finds out that our state song is "She thinks my tractor's sexy"
Swell. Now that's gonna be in my head all afternoon.

ptlyon
04-15-2005, 02:22 PM
Swell. Now that's gonna be in my head all afternoon.

It helps to change the lyrics.

Instead of "while I'm chuggin along", try using "while she s..kin my d.ng..."

Rain Man
04-15-2005, 02:23 PM
I heard Fred moved so they're back down to six.

(Chuckle)

I was doing a housing study in a rural area once, and a Realtor said that whenever a black person showed up, they knew that it was a federal fair housing guy testing for discrimination. There were no black people in the county.

On the same study, I had a standard list of questions that I had to ask. One of those was "Is there a problem with homelessness in this community?" I was interviewing a group of people, and they all shook their heads no, and then one guy said, "Oh, wait a minute. Maybe we do. There's Jim."

Oh, and while I'm here, I'll offer a hearty congratulations to you, alnorth. You may have gotten a few pointers, but you won the job on your own.

Ari Chi3fs
04-15-2005, 02:42 PM
Kick ass. So, when we ask for donations to help with expenses this weekend, you'll be prepared to kick in 10% of your salary? ChiefsPlanet tithes?

what is "this weekend" cuz I could donate a couple beers.