PDA

View Full Version : Great Debate - Johnson or Rogers?

ChiefsCountry
04-15-2005, 12:17 PM
Which one you rather have as a Chief?

tyton75
04-15-2005, 12:18 PM
I don't think you pass on the opprotunity to draft a guy like Johnson.. even if we have a bigger need at CB

beer bacon
04-15-2005, 12:19 PM
I would definately rather have Johnson. Is it worth trading up to the fifth pick for DJ if we could get Rogers at 15? No. Is it worth trading up to the ninth or tenth pick for DJ? Possibly.

CosmicPal
04-15-2005, 12:20 PM
As much as I think Johnson is over-rated, I'd still have to say Johnson. A good linebacker can change the course of the game and make average DBs look stellar.

Hoover
04-15-2005, 12:22 PM
As much as I think we shoudl draft a CB, to add depth and the the future of the Chiefs. I think DJ is too good to pass up, in a position where we have a real need.

buddha
04-15-2005, 12:25 PM
Well, so far it's 6-0 for DJ and I think that would be the correct move for KC if it falls that way. With Bell in the middle and DJ on the edge, KC gets well on defense quickly. There are quality corners to be had later...

Tribal Warfare
04-15-2005, 12:37 PM
DJ, get surtain for this years 4th rounder and and next years 2nd rounder.

Thig Lyfe
04-15-2005, 12:39 PM
I say DJ if we can! Especially if we get Surtain.

tyton75
04-15-2005, 12:52 PM
A better argument thread might be.. If you could have anyone at all in the draft.. who would you want us to take

I'd bet the majority would still pick DJ

suds79
04-15-2005, 12:53 PM
A better argument thread might be.. If you could have anyone at all in the draft.. who would you want us to take

I'd bet the majority would still pick DJ

Man that's tough. I guess I'd still say DJ just bairly over Rolle.

Edubs
04-15-2005, 01:53 PM
When do the Colts pic in the draft??

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Indianapolis Colts may address the cornerback position during the NFL Draft.

Soupnazi
04-15-2005, 02:02 PM
Which ever one isn't Bartee.

And Pasquarelli's reporting is just sure genious. Soupnazi reports that the Colts may start a junior recruiting league from Mars prior to NFL draft, round 1.

Chiefnj
04-15-2005, 02:06 PM
I think drafting a top LB is less of a risk than drafting a top corner.

I'd go with DJ over Rogers. I'd still take Pollack over DJ though.

Rain Man
04-15-2005, 02:07 PM
I'd take Rolle over Johnson, but I'd take Johnson over Jones or Rogers.

Coogs
04-15-2005, 02:08 PM
Neither.

I'd take Thomas Davis to play WLB at 15, and Corey Webster for CB at 46.

Rain Man
04-15-2005, 02:09 PM
I don't think you pass on the opprotunity to draft a guy like Johnson.. even if we have a bigger need at CB

Oh! Oh! Flashback to 2003!

KChiefs1
04-15-2005, 02:11 PM
Can't pass up Derrick Johnson eventhough Rogers might end up the better player.

eazyb81
04-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Why are people so convinced that DJ is a "can't miss" prospect? NOBODY is a can't miss prospect.

I picked Rogers in this poll, and I know I am in the large minority. But with a suspension for Warfield looming (not to mention his Paris Hilton impersonation), I am really not comfortable with Bartee, McCleon, Battle, etc. being a starting CB in any game this year that we hope to win.

milkman
04-15-2005, 05:45 PM
I'm sold now.
DJ is the man.

philfree
04-15-2005, 06:06 PM
Neither.

I really like Davis and I think Webster is gonna be a steal in the 2nd round. If haven't picked up Surtain by then though there is no choice we have to take a CB in the 1st round. If we have Surtain then we ould pick Johnson if he's still available or we can pick Davis or a DE. Of course if we pick Rogers along with Surtain our 2ndary will be really good. Until we get Surtain it's Rogers.

PhilFree:arrow:

KChiefs1
04-15-2005, 06:13 PM
Maybe the better poll would be Ware or Rogers since DJ will most likely be off the board by then.

Tribal Warfare
04-15-2005, 06:23 PM
I would trade up for DJ and give miami this years 4th rounder and next years 2nd or 3rd

whoman69
04-15-2005, 07:46 PM
Neither.

No more safety conversions, please.

whoman69
04-15-2005, 07:47 PM
While I think that DJ is the better player, we have to give up something to have him. Draft him and we don't have a CB in the draft who can step in right now.

htismaqe
04-15-2005, 08:43 PM
No more safety conversions, please.

Thomas Davis STARTED at OLB and was moved to safety, not the the other way around.

http://georgiadogs.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/davis_thomas00.html

EDIT: Just checked his combine numbers...he weighed 231. He's BIGGER than Donnie Edwards.

patteeu
04-15-2005, 08:49 PM
DJ. If not DJ, then Davis to play OLB.

Logical
04-15-2005, 08:53 PM
Because we have done nothing yet to shore up the CB spot I had to say Rogers. If we ever give up our 2nd for Surtain my pick would change. However, if we settle on Ty Law I would still want Rogers. I find that Johnson is too much like Donnie Edwards for my taste. That is still a huge improvement over anything we had last season but nothing to get overly excited about.

PhogPhanTim
04-15-2005, 08:55 PM
Johnson. Rogers isn't even the best Corner in the draft. He isn't even the second best corner in the draft.

Tribal Warfare
04-15-2005, 09:28 PM
I find that Johnson is too much like Donnie Edwards for my taste. That is still a huge improvement over anything we had last season but nothing to get overly excited about.

he's like Donnie Edwards if was 242 pounds who hits harder, and can rush the LB. A better comparison is Jack Ham or Jack Lambert

milkman
04-16-2005, 05:10 PM
he's like Donnie Edwards if was 242 pounds who hits harder, and can rush the LB. A better comparison is Jack Ham or Jack Lambert

After watching that video, and just now watching some highlights on NFL network, I would call him a cross of Donnie Edwards and Marvcus Patton.

tk13
04-16-2005, 05:19 PM
Well, given the wording of the poll, not having to worry about trading up, etc.... just a straight up choice between the two, it's gotta be Johnson. I've been high on him since almost before last season, can't change now. He fits right into Barber's spot. He's the best defensive player in this draft, and I think worst-case scenario is he plays as well as Jonathan Vilma did for the Jets this year...

Logical
04-16-2005, 05:57 PM
ROFL Don't forget to add in Bobby Bell when you make outlandish comparisons.

CanadaKC
04-16-2005, 06:53 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion Carl and Vermeil are targeting Merriman, Ware, or T.Davis in the 1st round. And a CB in the 2nd...possibly McFaddon or Green from VT.

milkman
04-16-2005, 06:56 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion Carl and Vermeil are targeting Merriman, Ware, or T.Davis in the 1st round. And a CB in the 2nd...possibly McFaddon or Green from VT.

Please no Merriman or Ware! :cuss:

I really hate it when the Chiefs draft projects or Combine warriors in the first round.

craneref
04-16-2005, 08:32 PM
I am not sure why that we even be considered a debate, you GOT to take Johnson in that matchup. I know there have been mixed opinions about Merriman, but I heard one of the greatest descriptions ever for a linebacker about him, not sure who said it but they said he is a "Shark in shoulder pads!" I miss having a linebacker that the offense has to find every play before the snap, like DT. I still remembe the game in Arrowhead against the donx, and the CHIEFS "D" had horsehead Elway backed up to his goal line, Elway comes up, points at DT and starts yelling at his lineman and anyone else who will listen that DT is on his way, then DT looks Elway in the eye, and makes the safety symbol putting his two arms above his head, Arrowhead goes nuts, and when you think it can't get any louder, the ball is snapped, and DT races around from the Right End position and sacks Elway for a safety. The called shot I will never forget, that is how I remember DT. Maybe I am just dreaming, but if we could come close with another linebacker like that, it wouldn't matter who was covering the receivers, because out DT clone would be laying the lumber on the opposing QB before he could ever throw it. Talent like that changes games, makes an offense change, and makes ANY CB better. Man did I start a rant or what, but DT usually does that to a CHIEFS fan. GO CHIEFS.

beer bacon
04-16-2005, 08:40 PM
Please no Merriman or Ware! :cuss:

I really hate it when the Chiefs draft projects or Combine warriors in the first round.

Merriman could start as the standard 4-3 DE and not be a project. Just because commentators are saying he would make a good hybrid in a 3-4 doesn't mean we would treat him that way if we drafted him. He weighs in the 270s. That is plenty big enough to be a normal DE in the 4-3.

Tribal Warfare
04-16-2005, 08:52 PM
Don't forget to add in Bobby Bell when you make outlandish comparisons.

Watch and learn Logical, I'm very good at player evaluation next season you'll see why.

Tribal Warfare
04-16-2005, 08:55 PM
Merriman is being targeted by Dallas , and I believe that's where he'll go

Logical
04-16-2005, 10:06 PM
I am not sure why that we even be considered a debate, you GOT to take Johnson in that matchup. I know there have been mixed opinions about Merriman, but I heard one of the greatest descriptions ever for a linebacker about him, not sure who said it but they said he is a "Shark in shoulder pads!" I miss having a linebacker that the offense has to find every play before the snap, like DT. I still remembe the game in Arrowhead against the donx, and the CHIEFS "D" had horsehead Elway backed up to his goal line, Elway comes up, points at DT and starts yelling at his lineman and anyone else who will listen that DT is on his way, then DT looks Elway in the eye, and makes the safety symbol putting his two arms above his head, Arrowhead goes nuts, and when you think it can't get any louder, the ball is snapped, and DT races around from the Right End position and sacks Elway for a safety. The called shot I will never forget, that is how I remember DT. Maybe I am just dreaming, but if we could come close with another linebacker like that, it wouldn't matter who was covering the receivers, because out DT clone would be laying the lumber on the opposing QB before he could ever throw it. Talent like that changes games, makes an offense change, and makes ANY CB better. Man did I start a rant or what, but DT usually does that to a CHIEFS fan. GO CHIEFS.

Great memory, thanks. However, all that talent around DT made him more effective. We don't have anything close to that talent yet.

philfree
04-16-2005, 10:39 PM
Great memory, thanks. However, all that talent around DT made him more effective. We don't have anything close to that talent yet.

Johnson has a long way to go to prove that he has even close to the talent of DT. DT can't be duplicated. As fans we became spoiled having a pass rusher like DT for nine years. IMO Chiefs fans including me have a skewed vision of what a pass rusher should be. When I think of a pass rusher on the right side of the D I see #58 turning the corner and making the K.C. Strip. IMO his ability to rush the passer made the talent around him better instead of them making him better. He was special and we shouldn't try to duplicate him. It won't happen.

htismaqe
04-17-2005, 04:21 AM
Watch and learn Logical, I'm very good at player evaluation next season you'll see why.

Oh my God. That it is simultaneously hilarious and disturbing.

Wasn't the last guy you hyped like this ASHLEY LELIE?

htismaqe
04-17-2005, 04:22 AM
Johnson has a long way to go to prove that he has even close to the talent of DT. DT can't be duplicated. As fans we became spoiled having a pass rusher like DT for nine years. IMO Chiefs fans including me have a skewed vision of what a pass rusher should be. When I think of a pass rusher on the right side of the D I see #58 turning the corner and making the K.C. Strip. IMO his ability to rush the passer made the talent around him better instead of them making him better. He was special and we shouldn't try to duplicate him. It won't happen.

Johnson is already better than Derrick Thomas. He's a combination of Jack Hamm and Jack Lambert.