PDA

View Full Version : I, Crapbot

KCWolfman
04-15-2005, 10:48 PM
Okay,

I honestly thought this one would be cool. I thought that Asimov could be translated to the silver screen. I saw The Fantastic Voyage, I know it can be done. I also once believed in the Easter Bunny.

What a load of sh*t!!! The acting - atrocious. The plot line - stupid. The concept of the professor leaving clues prior to ordering the robot to kill him - ASSININE!!!!

The concept was more 2001:A Space Odyssey than it was Asimov's singular greatest work of fiction. In fact, I can see the concept being created on the Hollywood floor as we speak:

Jeff Vintar (in blue) the screenwriter is down to his last 20.00 bucks as he has been evicted from his home and had to hoof it to the studio as his car has already been repo-ed to speak with John Davis, the producer, (in green) about a new script:

Okay, Mr. Davis, here it is. A perfect script outlining several of the short stories from Isaac Asimov true to his works. I have tied them brilliantly together, keeping the story pure and as Mr. Asimov himself would have wanted. If he were alive today, he would say it this was his celluloid masterpiece.

Who is Isaac Ackerhof?

A famous writer, Mr. Davis. Only the most brilliant science fiction writer in the world and I have taken his very best work and given it the homage it deserves.

Isaac Adolph? Dead, huh? Well, at least he can't sue us then. Did he do that Toy Story thing? Now that was good stuff. Or was he the Creepshow guy? Anyway, what is the story about?

Well, sir, it is about a robot blamed for murder when he has been programmed not to commit murder

Robot? I don't like robots. Robots don't sell. Can't we make it a reincarted cat?

I don't think so, sir. You see, the story is integral to humans interacting with a new species they create.

Oh, okay, let's make them kinda human looking and vicious, like Westworld

Well sir, that wouldn't work either as...

Oh, and Blade Runner, let's make them superfast, superagile, and supersmart like Blade Runner.

Sir, you see that wasn't the original concept at all. It was more an insight on human behavior

Look, Jeff, I don't need insight. If I want Terms of Endearment, I will ask for it

Yes sir

Give me the main character.

He is a cerebral man that takes his time coming to terms...

Nope, fast gun, quick wit. Able to take on dozens of these robots all alone. Will Smith.

But sir, you said the robots were superfast, superagile...

So I did. Okay, make him half robot then. Boy Paul Verhoeven is going to be jealous that I topped his big masterpiece.

Sir, Starship Troopers was hardly a masterpiece.

No, I meant Showgirls. That does give me an idea though. Is Doogie Howser dead, or do you think he can play the sidekick? If not, get Sandra Bullock to play the futuristic girl that helps Will Smith assimilate in the future while learning to accept his past habits

Sure-Oz
04-15-2005, 10:56 PM
I actually thought it was entertaining. :shrugs:

|Zach|
04-15-2005, 10:57 PM
I think the writer had a cooler.

keg in kc
04-15-2005, 10:58 PM
I'm stunned. Stunned I tell you.

KCWolfman
04-15-2005, 10:59 PM
I actually thought it was entertaining. :shrugs:
I have no problem with "entertaining" or as you guys like to refer to "turn your mind off" to enjoy a film. I have a problem with the total bastardization of a book to simply sell for the original author's namesake.

It was like calling Finding Nemo a story based upon Homer's Odyssey.

I am also willing to bet you have never read the book.

|Zach|
04-15-2005, 11:00 PM

ROFL

Count Zarth
04-15-2005, 11:00 PM
It wasn't that bad. Yes it made Asimov spin in his grave, but if you judge the movie on its own merits and not how faithful it was to the book, there are certainly worse action movies out there.

Count Zarth
04-15-2005, 11:01 PM
I have a problem with the total bastardization of a book to simply sell for the original author's namesake.

That's hollywood, unfortunately. :shrug:

KCWolfman
I think the writer had a cooler.
Macy could have probably written a better script, that's for sure.

Fried Meat Ball!
I read before the movie came out it wasn't BASED on the book, it was LOOSELY based on a premise from the book. The only things from the book are the rules.

|Zach|
04-15-2005, 11:04 PM
Macy could have probably written a better script, that's for sure.
http://www.nowtoronto.com/issues/2004-01-15/cover_story-1.jpg

Frazod
04-15-2005, 11:04 PM
I liked it - but not as much as Starship Troopers. :p

KCWolfman
04-15-2005, 11:05 PM
It wasn't that bad. Yes it made Asimov spin in his grave, but if you judge the movie on its own merits and not how faithful it was to the book, there are certainly worse action movies out there.
"There certainly were worse" is hardly the same as "wasn't that bad".

It was that bad - that is a fact. The whole concept was built upon a house of cards. Evidently, if we get an arm replaced with a robotic arm our entire bodies move as fast as the robots themselves. Hell, the people we hang around all of a sudden can shoot with pinpoint accuracy and miss us by millimeters while striking their targets dead on, even though they have never shot a gun in their lives.

Evidently we can go to the library to get books to leave clues, but we can't give word of a mass takeover while we are out getting the book.

Evidently robots can knock us 30 feet in the air and we still have the wherewithal to come instantly back into a crouch to keep fighting.

Crap is being nice for this film. While it is not as bad as Starsh*t Troopers, it is awfully damned close.

KCWolfman
04-15-2005, 11:06 PM
I liked it - but not as much as Starship Troopers. :p
Figures. I hope Donnie Darko is on everyone of your channels tomorrow night.

Frazod
04-15-2005, 11:07 PM
Figures. I hope Donnie Darko is on everyone of your channels tomorrow night.

ROFL

Won't matter - I'll be out of town. :D

Count Zarth
04-15-2005, 11:09 PM
http://www.nowtoronto.com/issues/2004-01-15/cover_story-1.jpg

Ugh. I can't stand that guy.

|Zach|
I am working on making a personal top 15 movie scenes list...we shall see how it pans out.

|Zach|
Amzing actor. One of the best IMO.

Count Zarth
I am working on making a personal top 15 movie scenes list...we shall see how it pans out.

I'll alert the press.

Fried Meat Ball!
04-15-2005, 11:10 PM
I may have to kick your ass if the final baptism sequence in The Godfather isn't in the Top 5... maybe if it's not #1. :harumph:

Count Zarth
04-15-2005, 11:10 PM
Amzing actor. One of the best IMO.

Yeah he's good. I just can't stand him. Kind of like Matt Broderick in anything but Ferris.

Count Zarth
04-15-2005, 11:11 PM
I may have to kick your ass if the final baptism sequence in The Godfather isn't in the Top 5... maybe if it's not #1. :harumph:

What about the baptism scene in My Big Fat Greek Wedding?

Fried Meat Ball!
I'll alert the press.
I'm on it.

royr17
To be honest with you guys, I actually like that movie.

Brando
sick avatar FireMeBoy...so horny UGH

tk13
1. Haha... he doesn't know how to use the three sea shells!
2. Everything else

That wasn't hard.

|Zach|
04-15-2005, 11:12 PM
Hmmm, that will have a spot. I dont know about top 5 but its a possibility...im searching through my memory to guage weather there is another scene from the GF trilogy that could be mentioned.

Count Zarth
04-15-2005, 11:12 PM
To be honest with you guys, I actually like that movie.

I think you just proved KCW's point.

|Zach|
04-15-2005, 11:13 PM
2. Everything else

That wasn't hard.
ROFL

I love saying that at parties.

KCWolfman
William Macy is just brilliant, in almost everything he does.

Seabiscuit
Stealing Sinatra (hilarious)
Mystery Men
Pleasantville (his best work, IMO)
Searching for Bobby Fisher
Benny and Joon
Andersonville
Wag the Dog
A Civil Action
and most recently seen by me, The Cooler

I can't wait for the release of Conquistadora. Hell, he was even good in the cheesy movie Air Force One.

|Zach|

Seabiscuit
Mystery Men
Benny and Joon
Andersonville
Wag the Dog
A Civil Action

I can't wait for the release of Conquistadora. Hell, he was even good in the cheesy movie Air Force One.
Never saw Magnolia?

royr17
04-15-2005, 11:15 PM
Of course what do i know i like all Will Smith movies, I wanna see his new movie HITCH.

Brando
Never saw Magnolia?
YAWN...unfortunately I did

KCWolfman
2. Everything else

That wasn't hard.
AGGGHHHH!!! That was it.

If the chick from I, Robot doesn't remind you of Sandra Bullock in Demolition Man, I am a monkey's uncle.

Now I have to work that in my original review. Thanks TK

Sure-Oz
I have no problem with "entertaining" or as you guys like to refer to "turn your mind off" to enjoy a film. I have a problem with the total bastardization of a book to simply sell for the original author's namesake.

No I have not, maybe I would be pissed like you if I did.

Fried Meat Ball!
Never saw Magnolia?
My gawd, I love that movie.

Count Zarth
04-15-2005, 11:16 PM
2. Everything else

That wasn't hard.

Dude...I just saw Demolition Man for the first time ever the other day....sweet flick. Sandra Bullock's ass looks great in those pants, too.

Sure-Oz
04-15-2005, 11:16 PM
Demolition Man was pretty funny

royr17
04-15-2005, 11:17 PM
Bad Boys and Bad Boys II are pretty good movies too, so is Independence Day, Both Men In Black are funny, he's got some pretty good movies, oh yea the best show he's ever had Fresh Prince of Bell Air, gosh still watch that show all the time, talkin about goin back to da dayz.

|Zach|
My gawd, I love that movie.
Reminds me a lot of Vanilla Sky which I love as well....but Magnolia is awesome...better of the two.

KCWolfman
Dude...I just saw Demolition Man for the first time ever the other day....sweet flick. Sandra Bullock's ass looks great in those pants, too.
Demolition Man, good?

Do you really watch the acting or are you just impressed with things that blow up?

|Zach|
04-15-2005, 11:18 PM
Would you like to have dinner with su at Taco Bell?

KCWolfman
Reminds me a lot of Vanilla Sky which I love as well....but Magnolia is awesome...better of the two.
Yup, I saw Magnolia. And I didn't like Vanilla Sky. I still can watch Pleasantville again and again.

royr17
One thing I hate to watch is WESTERNS and the only Western i like is one called WILD WILD WEST with Will Smith in it.

Frazod
Demolition Man, good?

Do you really watch the acting or are you just impressed with things that blow up?

I enjoyed it.

But not as much as Starship Troopers. :harumph:

:fire:

Count Zarth
04-15-2005, 11:19 PM
Demolition Man, good?

I enjoyed the movie. It was funny and had some good action. That is all I am saying.

Count Zarth
04-15-2005, 11:19 PM
Would you like to have dinner with su at Taco Bell?

You will have to excuse me. I cannot yet quote the movie like a fox.

Fried Meat Ball!
04-15-2005, 11:20 PM
Abre Los Ojos is better than Vanilla Sky... it's the original, still starring Penelope Crus and directed by the same guy. Vanilla Sky I really enjoyed, but Abre (translates to Open Your Eyes) is better.

I really love Magnolia... made my wife watch that a few weeks ago... I may need to watch it again.

KCWolfman
Bad Boys and Bad Boys II are pretty good movies too, so is Independence Day, Both Men In Black are funny, he's got some pretty good movies, oh yea the best show he's ever had Fresh Prince of Bell Air, gosh still watch that show all the time, talkin about goin back to da dayz.
He also made crap like The Wild Wild West and Torrance Rises.

For awhile he was the Fourth of July wonder, but recently I have seen nothing great from him. I haven't seen Hitch yet, and will definitely give it a chance when it comes out on video.

Count Zarth
One thing I hate to watch is WESTERNS and the only Western i like is one called WILD WILD WEST with Will Smith in it.

You're missing out. Rent "The Searchers" or one of Clint Eastwood's "Man with no name" flicks. There are tons of good westerns, most of them not made in the last 20-30 years.

|Zach|
You will have to excuse me. I cannot yet quote the movie like a fox.
:)

Logical
I am a huge, huge, huge Will Smith believer, but he was barely able to save this film as turn your mind off entertainment. I can completely understand how someone as an Asimov fan would find this movie a nightmare. Suprised you did not hear ahead of time though.

KCWolfman
04-15-2005, 11:21 PM
Horrible film

How can you create giant robots in the 19th century, but you can't even find a dentist to keep your teeth straight?

And one of Kevin Kline's worst films, IMO

|Zach|
04-15-2005, 11:22 PM
I really love Magnolia... made my wife watch that a few weeks ago... I may need to watch it again.
I like the relationship between the cop and the schitzo type girl.

Count Zarth
He also made crap like The Wild Wild West

Heh. I don't know if you've ever seen "An evening with Kevin Smith," but he talks about alot of interesting shit.

Apparently when the new Superman movie was being kicked around by studios in the mid 90s, they wanted him to direct it. He met with some producer to discuss a script and the producer had all these wacky ideas. One of them was a GIANT SPIDER battling Superman in the film's third act. Kevin Smith refused to direct it and the film still hasn't come out but....the SAME producer was in on The Wild Wild West, which, of course...HAD A GIANT MECHANICAL SPIDER. ROFL

Fried Meat Ball!
You're missing out. Rent "The Searchers" or one of Clint Eastwood's "Man with no name" flicks. There are tons of good westerns, most of them not made in the last 20-30 years.
The Wild Bunch, best western by far, IMO. I wasn't very fond of the Man with no name films, but The Wild Bunch is amazing, as is another personal favorite, Once Upon a Time in the West.

|Zach|
04-15-2005, 11:23 PM
In watched Emporers Club the other day. Enjoyed it.

Frazod
04-15-2005, 11:23 PM
Horrible film

How can you create giant robots in the 19th century, but you can't even find a dentist to keep your teeth straight?

We're in agreement on that. Wretched film. One of the worst old TV show retreds. :shake:

Logical
04-15-2005, 11:24 PM
He also made crap like The Wild Wild West and Torrance Rises.

For awhile he was the Fourth of July wonder, but recently I have seen nothing great from him. I haven't seen Hitch yet, and will definitely give it a chance when it comes out on video.

I have a feeling you will be dissappointed in Hitch, though it has its funny moment, it turned out to be a chick flick of major proportions. I am a little suprised you did not find Wild Wild West amusing, not a great plot but pretty funny IMO.

Count Zarth

Giant robot engineers can't do dental work. DUH!

In and Out owns you all!

Fried Meat Ball!
I like the relationship between the cop and the schitzo type girl.
The ones that really grip me are the father/son relationships between the quiz kid and his dad and Cruise and Robards.

|Zach|
04-15-2005, 11:26 PM
The ones that really grip me are the father/son relationships between the quiz kid and his dad and Cruise and Robards.
Phillip Seymour Hoffman was of course golden...as he is in every movie.

royr17

NO NO NO, That is suicide awaitin to happen, lol.

Fried Meat Ball!
I have a feeling you will be dissappointed in Hitch, though it has its funny moment, it turned out to be a chick flick of major proportions. I am a little suprised you did not find Wild Wild West amusing, not a great plot but pretty funny IMO.
The biggest problem with Hitch is that Smith and Mendes have ZERO chemistry on screen... I found the relationship between Kevin James and Amber Valetta MUCH more interesting.

KCWolfman
04-15-2005, 11:27 PM
Not true

The Unforgiven
Silverado
The Deadwood Series
Maverick
Long Riders
Lonesome Dove
Buffalo Soldiers
Hell, even Ravenous was funny.

royr17
04-15-2005, 11:28 PM
Horrible film

I just like it cause its funny.

Fried Meat Ball!
I'm a HUGE fan of PSH... he's just incredible. Someone mentioned in another thread I think having watched Owning Mahowny recently... seen it? It's fantastic, putting PSH as a lead. He should get more lead roles, but just doesn't have the looks of a typical lead. Too bad, really.

Count Zarth

Ugh! I can't stand him either.

Miles
04-15-2005, 11:29 PM
Just watched Hotel Rwanda. Exceptional film and some great acting by Don Cheadle.

Hey Fire Me Boy!, just noticed this earlier today.
http://www.turnerclassicmovies.com/ThisMonth/Article/0,,92469,00.html

Frazod
Not true

The Unforgiven
Silverado
The Deadwood Series
Maverick
Long Riders
Lonesome Dove
Buffalo Soldiers
Hell, even Ravenous was funny.

Add to that list:

Dances With Wolves
Tombstone
Wyatt Earp
Open Range

royr17
I've heard they are coming out with Independence Day 2, does anybody know if they are or not ?

Count Zarth
04-15-2005, 11:30 PM
I've heard they are coming out with Independence Day 2, does anybody know if they are or not ?

Who knows. I DO know that Roland Emmerich won't direct another one. He said as much in several interviews.

KCWolfman
Jim, as I get older I find that "cute" and "nice effects" and "turn your mind off to enjoy" become less and less enjoyable for me. Unfortunately, the trend is just the opposite for the average movie-goer. Acting is much less a commodity today than ever before.

Spencer Tracy would never be a lead in a film today if he were alive. He just isn't pretty boy enough.
Gary Cooper wouldn't make it either. Too quiet.
And while Jimmy Stewart would find roles fit for Jim Carey, Clark Gable would be the only consistent actor of the group and only if he showed his butt in a scene every now and then.

Movies today are simply trash for 85% of what is out there.

royr17
While we are namin good movies, how about Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man ....

|Zach|
04-15-2005, 11:31 PM
Ugh! I can't stand him either.
Heh, every actor that I love you hate...

PSH
William H Macy
Vince Vaughn

royr17
Mel Gibsons Braveheart and A Man Without A Face ..... I like those movies

Miles
I'm a HUGE fan of PSH... he's just incredible. Someone mentioned in another thread I think having watched Owning Mahowny recently... seen it? It's fantastic, putting PSH as a lead. He should get more lead roles, but just doesn't have the looks of a typical lead. Too bad, really.

Yeah definitly agree and think he is one of the best actors out there.

Count Zarth
Heh, every actor that I love you hate...

PSH
William H Macy
Vince Vaughn

We have to find a common ground. Do you like Harrison Ford?

Fried Meat Ball!
Just watched Hotel Rwanda. Exceptional film and some great acting by Don Cheadle.

Very cool. I'm still trying to pick up Grand Illusion... but I don't get TCM, so I'll just have to suffer I guess.

I've been really tempted to buy Hotel Rwanda, I've heard nothing but good things.

And I just wanted to point out I got to throw out a Sergio Leone film in this thread before you did! :p

KCWolfman
04-15-2005, 11:32 PM

Fantastic film. I absolutely loved it.

Count Zarth
04-15-2005, 11:32 PM
A Man Without A Face

Ooooh...I love Mel Gibson in this movie. And I hate Nick Stahl's family.

|Zach|
04-15-2005, 11:33 PM
We have to find a common ground. Do you like Harrison Ford?
I like him but I am not crazy about him.

Sparhawk
04-15-2005, 11:34 PM
I tend to agree. While the movie was entertaining, it didn't capture the feel of the book. Unfortunately Hollywood is very good at deviating from entertains us book fans! Another factor is that I'm not a big fan of Will Smith. I find his acting leaves something to be desired.

Count Zarth

Well dammit! You try.

KCWolfman
Again, fun films where you "turn your mind off" to enjoy.

However, I did like him in Frantic as a serious role.

Fried Meat Ball!
04-15-2005, 11:35 PM
go chiefs, I've about decided that you have seriously questionable taste... :harumph:

Harrison Ford is good, but P.S. Hoffman & Macy are terrific actors... two of the best working now.

royr17
Vince Vaughn

Lol, he is very funny, he's pretty good in Dodgeball, Ben Stiller very funny also.

KCWolfman
I tend to agree. While the movie was entertaining, it didn't capture the feel of the book. Unfortunately Hollywood is very good at deviating from entertains us book fans! Another factor is that I'm not a big fan of Will Smith. I find his acting leaves something to be desired.
Yup, it seems like every line he delivers he spreads his arms and waits for the canned applause from his television series to start up.

|Zach|
Again, fun films where you "turn your mind off" to enjoy.

However, I did like him in Frantic as a serious role.
I always thought he did a good job in the Clancy movies. Thats how I think of him. As Jack Ryan.

keg in kc
04-15-2005, 11:36 PM
You know it's a slow night when I, Suckbot get's six pages.

royr17
Anybody here ever seen Rain Man ? With Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman. Also Top Gun is pretty good too with Cruise and Val Kilmer.

|Zach|
Lol, he is very funny, he's pretty good in Dodgeball, Ben Stiller very funny also.
I don't think you would like it to much but he is in Swingers which is one of my favortite movies of all time. Prob #1

KCWolfman
04-15-2005, 11:37 PM
I always thought he did a good job in the Clancy movies. Thats how I think of him. As Jack Ryan.
Yeah, speaking of ruined films, Clancy was a double dumbass (double-dumbass on you!) for hiring Ben Affliction and for changing the entire story of his last disaster to film.

Count Zarth
go chiefs, I've about decided that you have seriously questionable taste... :harumph:

Harrison Ford is good, but P.S. Hoffman & Macy are terrific actors... two of the best working now.

I recognize that they are terrific actors. I just don't like them very much, and I can't stand most of the characters that Hoffman plays. They make me cringe. Probably a testament to his acting.

As for my taste, it is broad.

Fried Meat Ball!
I almost hate to say it since I like Ford much better overall, but I prefer Alec Baldwin better as Jack Ryan... it could be because Hunt for Red October is the best film in the trilogy. But I like Baldwin better as Ryan.

|Zach|
Anybody here ever seen Rain Man ? With Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman. Also Top Gun is pretty good too with Cruise and Val Kilmer.
Top Gun? Never heard of it. :)

KCWolfman
04-15-2005, 11:38 PM
You know it's a slow night when I, Suckbot get's six pages.
Suckbot, not bad. I may steal that later too.

Luckily I can edit your post and never suffer the pains of copyright infringement.

Frazod
Yeah, speaking of ruined films, Clancy was a double dumbass (double-dumbass on you!) for hiring Ben Affliction and for changing the entire story of his last disaster to film.

I understand in the book they blew up Denver. It really sucked that they changed that. :grr:

Count Zarth
double-dumbass on you!

Star Trek reference!

Count Zarth
Top Gun? Never heard of it. :)

It's about gay sex.

Fried Meat Ball!
Yeah, Rain Man is good, but not Cruise's best. And Top Gun is fun, but it certainly don't belong in anybody's great film discussions.

Count Zarth
04-15-2005, 11:39 PM
I almost hate to say it since I like Ford much better overall, but I prefer Alec Baldwin better as Jack Ryan... it could be because Hunt for Red October is the best film in the trilogy. But I like Baldwin better as Ryan.

Have you seen any films with Stephen Baldwin? THEY SHOULD ALL BE BURNED.

Fried Meat Ball!
04-15-2005, 11:40 PM
Have you seen any films with Stephen Baldwin? THEY SHOULD ALL BE BURNED.
HOORAY! WE AGREE!

Actually, pretty much anything with any of the other Baldwins. Except Backdraft and The Usual Suspects, I can't think of a one.

Frazod
04-15-2005, 11:41 PM

I really liked Clear and Present Danger. Patriot Games sucked, though.

KCWolfman
04-15-2005, 11:41 PM
I don't know, Ford pulled it off for me in both films.

I do wish Clancy would take Without Remorse to film and finally give his single best character, John Clark, a lead. Unfortunately, after I, Dorkbot and The Dumb of All Fears I am afraid it simply would suck from the translation.

Count Zarth
04-15-2005, 11:42 PM
HOORAY! WE AGREE!

Actually, pretty much anything with any of the other Baldwins. Except Backdraft and The Usual Suspects, I can't think of a one.

Actually I tend to dislike most films that Alec Baldwin is in.

However, I have two guilty pleasures for which KCWolfman will surely disembowl me:

The Shadow
The Edge

KCWolfman
04-15-2005, 11:43 PM
I really liked Clear and Present Danger. Patriot Games sucked, though.
Oddly enough, Clear and Present Danger was almost nothing like the book at all, but I loved the film.

There is virtually no action in the book at all, just a basic setup to show Jack Ryan as the traitor who is eventually trusted enough to lead the nation.

Fried Meat Ball!

I do wish Clancy would take Without Remorse to film and finally give his single best character, John Clark, a lead. Unfortunately, after I, Dorkbot and The Dumb of All Fears I am afraid it simply would suck from the translation.
Don't get me wrong, I like Ford. I even like him as Jack Ryan... just prefer Baldwin in that role.

Miles
And I just wanted to point out I got to throw out a Sergio Leone film in this thread before you did! :p

But KCWolfman brought up 2001 in the first post ;)

Miles
04-15-2005, 11:45 PM
HOORAY! WE AGREE!

I think you accidentialy omitted biodome from that list.

KCWolfman
04-15-2005, 11:45 PM

However, I have two guilty pleasures for which KCWolfman will surely disembowl me:

The Shadow
The Edge
The Edge - Is that the bear story in the wilderness? I liked that film.

And The Shadow caught the old radio serial hype pretty well. It was good, but didn't do as well as Sky Captain with going over the top for the "tune in next week" moments like Sky Captain did.

Fried Meat Ball!
04-15-2005, 11:46 PM

The Shadow
The Edge
I should edit my post to say this...

"Actually, pretty much anything with any of the other Baldwins, and half of the stuff with Alec. Except Backdraft and The Usual Suspects, I can't think of a one.

KCWolfman
04-15-2005, 11:47 PM
I should edit my post to say this...

"Actually, pretty much anything with any of the other Baldwins, and half of the stuff with Alec. Except Backdraft and The Usual Suspects, I can't think of a one.
Have you seen The Cooler? Baldwin as an aging casino owner who can't accept change is actually pretty good.

Fried Meat Ball!
04-15-2005, 11:49 PM
Have you seen The Cooler? Baldwin as an aging casino owner who can't accept change is actually pretty good.
I've been wanting to check that one out...

Count Zarth
The Edge - Is that the bear story in the wilderness? I liked that film.

And The Shadow caught the old radio serial hype pretty well. It was good, but didn't do as well as Sky Captain with going over the top for the "tune in next week" moments like Sky Captain did.

Yeah, The Edge has Anthony Hopkins as well, another one of my faves. Plus, how many movies have a bear ripping a guy's leg wide open? ROFL

The Shadow is garbage but I like the soundtrack and the cheesiness. :D

royr17
Well i like Top Gun is a very entertaining move to me, i can watch that movie over and over and i'd still wouldnt get tired of it.

Frazod
04-15-2005, 11:50 PM
Oddly enough, Clear and Present Danger was almost nothing like the book at all, but I loved the film.

There is virtually no action in the book at all, just a basic setup to show Jack Ryan as the traitor who is eventually trusted enough to lead the nation.

Willem DaFoe's portrayal of Clark was great.

Speaking of Clancy books, I wish they'd make a movie out of Without Remorse. That was a great story.

Count Zarth
04-15-2005, 11:51 PM
Well i like Top Gun is a very entertaining move to me, i can watch that movie over and over and i'd still wouldnt get tired of it.

It's about gay sex.

KCWolfman
04-15-2005, 11:51 PM

Speaking of Clancy books, I wish they'd make a movie out of Without Remorse. That was a great story.
Read #105, I beat you to it.

That was my favorite Clancy book, by far.

|Zach|
04-15-2005, 11:52 PM
I think there needs to be a Chiefs Planet movie.

keg in kc
04-15-2005, 11:53 PM
This thread has quickly digressed into a discussion of books and movies that might help with my insomnia problems.

KCWolfman
The Shadow is garbage but I like the soundtrack and the cheesiness. :D

I don't think it was garbage at all. It was supposed to be cheesy. That is the difference between it and I, Robot

Fried Meat Ball!
:(

Miles
04-15-2005, 11:54 PM

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/topgay_tot1a.gif

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/topgay_tot2a.gif

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/topgay_tot3a.gif

KCWolfman
Zach and Frazod go to Denver?

Count Zarth
I don't think it was garbage at all. It was supposed to be cheesy. That is the difference between it and I, Robot

The critics hammered it man.

keg in kc
04-15-2005, 11:55 PM
Zach and Frazod go to Denver?I don't know. Gay porn? Is that really what the Planet means to you?

Count Zarth

Hmmm...who to cast.

Fried Meat Ball!
I just made a spinoff.

Count Zarth
04-15-2005, 11:56 PM

Shower scenes! Half-naked, sweaty, volleyball scenes! Craploads of phallic imagery! Michael ****ing Ironside!

royr17
04-15-2005, 11:57 PM

:shake:

Count Zarth
I just made a spinoff.

"made" as in "wrote a screenplay/script?"

Spill!

|Zach|
:(
Pill Pullman as Phobia
Ron Howards brother as GoChiefs
Tommy Lee Joes as Logical

We could keep going...

|Zach|
04-15-2005, 11:59 PM
Zach and Frazod go to Denver?
I was thinking more so...

When Keg met Chiefs4me...

http://www.sunnycorner.com/movies/featured/harrysally/album/hswalk.jpg

Fried Meat Ball!
04-15-2005, 11:59 PM
"made" as in "wrote a screenplay/script?"

Spill!
As in a spinoff thread for titles/cast for the CP movie.

KCWolfman
04-16-2005, 12:01 AM

You know he just wants to do her. After all, men can never be just friends.

keg in kc
04-16-2005, 12:02 AM
When Keg met Chiefs4me...That'd be a foreign film. Christ knows I'd need subtitles to have any clue what she's saying.

Frazod
04-16-2005, 12:02 AM

Thanks for taking care of the light work. :D

Count Zarth
04-16-2005, 12:03 AM
Pill Pullman as Phobia
Ron Howards brother as GoChiefs
Tommy Lee Joes as Logical

We could keep going...

Ron Howard's brother?

|Zach|
04-16-2005, 12:03 AM
That'd be a foreign film. Christ knows I'd need subtitles to have any clue what she's saying.
ROFL

subtitles in all caps.

|Zach|
04-16-2005, 12:04 AM
Ron Howard's brother?
Yup :)

Miles
04-16-2005, 12:09 AM
Ron Howard's brother?

http://entimg.msn.com/i/150/ce/oct/clinthoward_150x207.jpg

He's described as 5'5" bald and reputedly a very generous tipper.

keg in kc
04-16-2005, 12:16 AM
Here we go

Frazod
04-16-2005, 12:19 AM
Here we go

ROFL

I'm the tall one.

KCWolfman
04-16-2005, 12:22 AM
ROFL

I'm the tall one.
Dammit, you beat me to it.

Fried Meat Ball!
04-16-2005, 12:24 AM
As I said in the other thread that no one cares about, there will be literary license taken with my character... I'll be played by the chick in my avatar, name will be changed to Fire Me Gal!, and I always post in the nude.

Fried Meat Ball!
04-16-2005, 12:25 AM
So you guys can argue over who'll be the tall one... no doubt I'll be the hot one.

royr17
04-16-2005, 12:25 AM
Oh yea another good up and rising actor is Hugh Jackman, and i love his X-Men movies and Van Helsing is pretty good too .

Fried Meat Ball!
04-16-2005, 12:26 AM
Oh yea another good up and rising actor is Hugh Jackman, and i love his X-Men movies and Van Helsing is pretty good too .
Hugh Jackman is good, but Van Helsing was crap. Van Crapping.

Miles
04-16-2005, 12:28 AM

Yeah even Kate Beckinsale in tight clothes couldnt save that piece of shit. Hugh Jackman is otherwise pretty good.

Fried Meat Ball!
04-16-2005, 12:29 AM
Yeah even Kate Beckinsale in tight clothes couldnt save that piece of shit.
Kate Beckinsale in the nude couldn't have saved it... just made 5 minutes of it bearable.

Fried Meat Ball!
04-16-2005, 12:30 AM
It's kinda sad, but every time I hear "Hugh Jackman" I have a moment where I think, "What's a huge ackman?" Then I realize it's Hugh Jackman and I'm okay.

keg in kc
04-16-2005, 12:30 AM
You're right, that is kinda sad.

Fried Meat Ball!
04-16-2005, 12:32 AM
You're right, that is kinda sad.
Yeah, the things we admit with the anonymity of the Internet is scary.

Chiefs Planet Anonymous: Hi, I'm Tim. I think "Hugh Jackman" is an adjective and a noun...

Frazod
04-16-2005, 12:34 AM
Well, I'm out. Off to bed, then up to Milwaukee tomorrow for a couple of Cards/Brewers games. Have a nice weekend everybody!

Fried Meat Ball!
04-16-2005, 12:35 AM
NIght.

Miles
04-16-2005, 12:37 AM
Well, I'm out. Off to bed, then up to Milwaukee tomorrow for a couple of Cards/Brewers games. Have a nice weekend everybody!

Damn sounds like your in for a good weekend and nice timing with the top of the rotation coming up.

Count Zarth
04-16-2005, 12:42 AM

I liked the first 2 minutes of Van Helsing. ROFL

KCWolfman
04-16-2005, 12:44 AM
I liked the first 2 minutes of Van Helsing. ROFL
You were 1:58 ahead of me.

keg in kc
04-16-2005, 12:59 AM
I think this has 'blockbuster' written all over it.

Logical
04-16-2005, 01:37 AM

I really liked Without Remorse and agree on Clark as a character. It would be pretty dark for a movie though. Course I am not much on dark plots in movies though I enjoy it in a good novel.

Taco John
04-16-2005, 04:45 AM

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...

|Zach|
04-16-2005, 04:46 AM
I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...
True love can do that.

tk13
04-16-2005, 04:52 AM
True love can do that.
Sure makes the open-mouth kisses more interesting.

Baby Lee
04-16-2005, 07:21 AM

Seabiscuit
Mystery Men
Benny and Joon
Andersonville
Wag the Dog
A Civil Action

If anyone questions Bill Macy's brilliance, all he has to do is point at his wife and say "an ugly mope like me taps that ass nightly."

Baby Lee
04-16-2005, 07:32 AM
Yeah, Rain Man is good, but not Cruise's best. And Top Gun is fun, but it certainly don't belong in anybody's great film discussions.
I agree that it shouldn't be labeled an 'all time great film,' but Top Gun get right what so many 'leave your brain at home' movies get wrong these days. Everything is an archetype, and considered dispassionately is fairly ridiculous, but it's sewn together with such charisma and great cinematography that you are sucked in completely. I mean, could you imagine the scene in the bar where Tom Cruise hits on the girl by singing 'Lost that Loving Feeling' filmed today with Ashton Kutcher as Maverick and Stiffler as 'Goose?'
Like I said, a lot of ridiculous scenes, tied together with charisma and cinematography. The perfect summer movie. Wish they could still do mindless fun like that today.

Baby Lee
04-16-2005, 07:36 AM

Great to hear, that's one of the few that slipped through the cracks for me, and it's next in my reading queue. I think that and 'The Bear and the Dragon' are the only two of 'true' Ryan world I haven't read.

whoman69
04-16-2005, 10:03 AM
Russ there was no way this was going to be a translation of Asimov's works because it never had anything to do with his books until they bought the rights to the name after the script was done. Its a whorish use of the Asimov name given by his family. You would never get together a robot rebellion in Asimov's books because any violent robot was a programming glitch, an anomaly. Asimov's family is making big money now just as Dr. Seuss' family has done. :shake:

Frankie
04-16-2005, 10:28 AM
I, robot was an average+ movie. It would have been a superb one had they made it with a darker, edgier, more ominous tone. For that they needed to cast another lead (other than the prince of Bel Aire). He is good in some roles, but his presence in a movie like this immediately reduces the seriousness of it.

Deberg_1990
04-16-2005, 11:42 AM

Your exactly right. The movie, while no masterpiece or anything is actually pretty good and I thought Will Smith gave a decent performance. The problem is why did they even bother to name it I Robot in the first place?? The movie bears no resemblence to the book at all except for the Robotic laws. It would have been jsut as good if they named it something else, then they would not have insulted fans of the original source material.

Baby Lee
04-16-2005, 12:34 PM

I am also willing to bet you have never read the book.Your exactly right. The movie, while no masterpiece or anything is actually pretty good and I thought Will Smith gave a decent performance. The problem is why did they even bother to name it I Robot in the first place?? The movie bears no resemblence to the book at all except for the Robotic laws. It would have been jsut as good if they named it something else, then they would not have insulted fans of the original source material.
So if they'd called it O' Robot Where Art Thou?

KCWolfman
04-16-2005, 03:10 PM
Your exactly right. The movie, while no masterpiece or anything is actually pretty good and I thought Will Smith gave a decent performance. The problem is why did they even bother to name it I Robot in the first place?? The movie bears no resemblence to the book at all except for the Robotic laws. It would have been jsut as good if they named it something else, then they would not have insulted fans of the original source material.

The robotic laws weren't even used - Hell, that is like saying My Big Fat Greek Wedding was a derivative of the Ten Commandments because no one killed anyone else or stole from them just as the Commandments demanded.