PDA

View Full Version : Mac Geek Question?

NewChief
04-16-2005, 05:36 AM
My wife just got her new G5 at home. I've got a problem, though. The Internet Connect keeps timing out every 15 minutes if I don't stay actively browsing. It timed up during the middle of running an overnight software update, so I didn't get everything updated.

I've tried to look in the Network System Preferences as well as in the menu options for the Internet Connect app all to no avail. Anyone know where to turn off the thing where it asks "This is your reminder that your connection is still active. Do you wish to remain connected ?"

By the way, it popped up while I was typing this post, because I wasn't actively browsing, but instead typing a post.

NewChief
04-16-2005, 06:09 AM
Found it I think:

It was in Network settings, under internal modem. One of the few inelegant things I've found so far on this Mac. For OS/Software designers: if you get notified or something by an application, the ability to work with that notification should be found within the application that notifies you, not elsewhere.

penguinz
04-16-2005, 08:54 PM
Dial-up :doh!:

NewChief
04-16-2005, 09:10 PM
Dial-up :doh!:

No, I'm on DSL. That's why I thought the "fix" was so screwy. Why that setting would be under internal modem made no sense. Turns out, the setting isn't under internal modem. I still have the problem, if anyone wants to help out.

Count Zarth
04-16-2005, 10:19 PM
Oh! But Macs are completely infallible! :rolleyes:

htismaqe
04-17-2005, 04:33 AM
Try using Firefox, that should help.

:evil:

NewChief
04-17-2005, 06:15 AM
Try using Firefox, that should help.

:evil:

I may dl firefox, but I don't think that will help (you're probably just being funny anyway). This should be an overall internet setting and have nothing to do with the browser, but I could be wrong.

KC Jones
04-17-2005, 11:28 AM
I may dl firefox, but I don't think that will help (you're probably just being funny anyway). This should be an overall internet setting and have nothing to do with the browser, but I could be wrong.

Either your machine is terminating the connection, or (and possibly more likely) your ISP sucks. If I was in your boat I'd call your ISP and tell them they keep turning the connection on and off and they need to fix it or you'll be going with a different provider.

NewChief
04-17-2005, 07:54 PM
Either your machine is terminating the connection, or (and possibly more likely) your ISP sucks. If I was in your boat I'd call your ISP and tell them they keep turning the connection on and off and they need to fix it or you'll be going with a different provider.

I'm pretty sure that it's my computer. My ibook never timed out like this, but this new G5 is timing out. I've got yahoo dsl, btw.

DenverChief
04-17-2005, 08:56 PM
I'm pretty sure that it's my computer. My ibook never timed out like this, but this new G5 is timing out. I've got yahoo dsl, btw.

go with safari not firefox...much better browser imo

NewChief
04-18-2005, 09:59 AM
Calling Mr. Rausch. Paging Rausch.

Giving it a bump in hopes that someone can help out. I'm still thinking that the setting is found in System Preferences->Network somewhere.

Another weird thing that I can't get the new G5 to do: attempt to connect to the internet upon start up. My old iBook would be connected as soon as I logged in. This one, I have to open up Internet Connect and connect manually. I'm a little dissapointed in these "improvements" in the latest version of OS X.

penguinz
04-18-2005, 10:01 AM
Does yahoo dsl use PPPoE? If so make sure all your settign are correct on the PPPoE tab for your ethernet card.

go with safari not firefox...much better browser imoI have found Safari to be very slow and buggy lately. I have been using a firelfox build that was compiled specifically for the G4 PowerBook and it performs much better. I am hoping that the new build of Safari in Tiger is greatly improved.

NewChief
04-18-2005, 10:05 AM
Does yahoo dsl use PPPoE? If so make sure all your settign are correct on the PPPoE tab for your ethernet card.

I have found Safari to be very slow and buggy lately. I have been using a firelfox build that was compiled specifically for the G4 PowerBook and it performs much better. I am hoping that the new build of Safari in Tiger is greatly improved.

Yeah, it's PPPoE. I'll look at that and make sure it's configured properly. Thanks for the tip. :thumb:

Heh, my wife's boss bought her this iMac G5 like two days ago. I was like, "Can't you guys wait about 2 weeks until Tiger comes out?"

penguinz
04-18-2005, 10:12 AM
She will qualify for a free upgrade to Tiger. She might have to pay the shipping costs for the CD and that is about it. HERE (http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/) is the info on how to get the upgrade.

NewChief
04-18-2005, 10:16 AM
She will qualify for a free upgrade to Tiger. She might have to pay the shipping costs for the CD and that is about it. HERE (http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/) is the info on how to get the upgrade.

Freaking awesome. Thanks a ton for that info! :clap:

DenverChief
04-26-2005, 01:55 AM

I have found Safari to be very slow and buggy lately. I have been using a firelfox build that was compiled specifically for the G4 PowerBook and it performs much better. I am hoping that the new build of Safari in Tiger is greatly improved.

I haven't had any problems with it...IE on the mac sucks horribly ....course I'. still running V10.3.6

NewChief
04-26-2005, 05:49 AM
I haven't had any problems with it...IE on the mac sucks horribly ....course I'. still running V10.3.6

Safari runs smooth for me as well. They just released another patch for it that fixes the problems it was having running some javascript apps.

As for the original problem: it was located in Network Settings of System Preferences, as I thought. It just took me a while (actually an email to my brother, who is a Mac fanatic) to find it.

headsnap
04-26-2005, 10:24 AM
Safari runs smooth for me as well. They just released another patch for it that fixes the problems it was having running some javascript apps.

As for the original problem: it was located in Network Settings of System Preferences, as I thought. It just took me a while (actually an email to my brother, who is a Mac fanatic) to find it.
you found it...

they bury that pref, it took me a while to find it too.

penguinz
04-26-2005, 02:45 PM
Yeah, it's PPPoE. I'll look at that and make sure it's configured properly. Thanks for the tip. :thumb:

Heh, my wife's boss bought her this iMac G5 like two days ago. I was like, "Can't you guys wait about 2 weeks until Tiger comes out?"
Have been running Tiger for a day now. It has some really nice features added to it. The new graphics rendering are beautiful.