PDA

View Full Version : What is the world coming too?

Fat Homer
12-20-2000, 02:15 PM
State senator protests football on Christmas Eve.

December 20, 2000

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) -- A state senator who is also a Lutheran pastor -- and a football fan -- wants to stop NFL games being played on Christmas Eve.

``I would like you to keep the holiest of holidays in mind for next year's schedule,'' Sen. Dean Johnson wrote in a letter to commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

The Willmar minister is perturbed because the Minnesota Vikings and the Indianapolis Colts will be playing at 3:15 p.m. CST, when he says many churches begin Christmas Eve services.

He says given their recent stumbles, the Vikings might be better off praying than playing on the night before Christmas.

``On a personal note,'' he wrote Tagliabue, ``I don't know how I am supposed to explain to my congregation the wires coming out of my ears and under my robe.''

Reminds me of the Visa commercial where the minister is listening to the game while preaching...

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

Dr. Red
12-20-2000, 02:21 PM
Get the NFL to loosen the 'celebration' rules and you might get some 'church' in the endzone.

morphius
12-20-2000, 03:34 PM
Maybe next, they can ban football on Christmas Eve Eve.

Reminds me of the law in KS. that prevents liquor stores from being open on Sundays & holidays, although you can walk into a bar & grill and sh_t-faced.

Fat Homer
12-20-2000, 03:45 PM
Remember the old Blue Laws?...of course I was just a baby, but you couldn't buy anything on Sunday...but they still played football on Sunday...

I laughed earlier in the year when Fiedler was debating on playing on a Saturday because it would interfer with the Sabbath...

There is a place for religion and a place for sports...I pray alot when I watch the Chiefs... :)

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

[This message has been edited by 58Forever (edited 12-20-2000).]

[This message has been edited by 58Forever (edited 12-20-2000).]

Dave Lane
12-20-2000, 06:42 PM
There's plenty of religious activities in football. I see lots of Hail Mary's and big congregations of people praying, especially on 4th & goal and before long field goal attempts to win the game every Sunday.

------------------
It looks I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!