PDA

View Full Version : The Draft is on now!!

Mr. Laz
04-16-2005, 11:50 AM
hurry... your missing it!! :p

WNBA.COM COVERAGE

WNBA.com's
2005 draft coverage
ESPN2

1-3 p.m. ET (NBA TV) Golden Gopher goes first in draftESPN.com news services

SECAUCUS, N.J. -- Charlotte made Minnesota center Janel McCarville the No. 1 overall pick Saturday as the WNBA draft got under way (ESPN2 ).

McCarville, a 6-foot-2 senior often touted as the top passing post in the nation, capped her Golden Gopher career with 1,835 points, which rank fifth in school history, and 1,217 rebounds, second in both Minnesota and Big Ten history.

The Stevens Point, Wis., native is a two-time Kodak All-American who helped lead Minnesota to its first Final Four appearance in 2004. The Golden Gophers reached the Sweet 16 last month.

McCarville, who averaged nearly a double-double this past season, is the first player from Minnesota to be selected as the top player in the WNBA draft. Former teammate Lindsay Whalen was the fourth overall pick last year (Connecticut).

Mississippi State's Tan White, a 5-foot-7 guard, was the No. 2 overall pick, by Indiana.

White, a Kodak All-American this season, led the nation in scoring in 2004-05 with 23.5 points per game, tallying at least 25 points in 12 contests. The SEC's all-time career steals leader, White set this season's NCAA Division I single-game record with 47 points (Feb. 3 overtime loss to Vanderbilt), is a four-time All-SEC honoree and will graduate with 2,421 career points and five school records. She was also the 2005 Frances Pomeroy Naismith winner for the country's best player 5-8 or shorter.

Phoenix, which added Diana Taurasi with the No. 1 overall pick last season, selected TCU's Sandora Irvin third overall. Irvin, who holds the NCAA Division I career shot-blocking record (480), finished the 2004-05 season averaging 19.9 points, 11.8 rebounds, 4.5 blocks, 2.1 assists and 2.5 steals. She ranked 13th in the nation in scoring, second in rebounding and third in blocked shots. Her 150 blocks fell two shy of tying the NCAA's single-season record.

Bowser
04-16-2005, 11:54 AM
rochambeau

cheeeefs
04-16-2005, 01:04 PM
speaking of the WNBA draft. Does anyone here pay attention to Kstate womens BBall? I don't really care too much about it, but I graduated highschool with Megan Mohoney if anyone knows of her. She was from Sturgis SD (actually Stagebarn). Too bad she got injured she was going to get drafted for sure, probably not the first round or anything... but somewhere.

Mr. Laz
04-16-2005, 02:10 PM
rochambeau

o:-)