PDA

View Full Version : In all seriousness, who will be gone next year.

Bob Dole
12-19-2000, 11:02 PM
I hate to say it, but I don't think szott, grunhard or shields will be back.

I wish williams and chet would leave.

nmt1
12-19-2000, 11:49 PM
Your wish for Chet to leave makes me believe that you do not watch the games. In the last 4 or so game, he along with Maz, Wesley, and Hasty have been the most consistantly good players on our defense. His cap number is high and I wish he would restructure, but wishing him gone is lunacy. The guy just makes plays!

------------------
GO PITT!

bigdaddychieffan
12-20-2000, 03:07 AM
My best guesses:

Warren Moon (Ret)
Donnell Bennett (Cut)
Kimble Anders (Cut/Ret)
Dante Hall (Ret)
Kevin Lockett (Lost to FA)
Larry Parker (Cut)
Dave Szott (Ret)
Will Shields (Lost to FA)
Troy Drayton (Cut)
Lew Bush (Cut)
James Hasty (Ret)
Pat Dennis (Cut)
Carlton Gray (Cut)
Eric Warfield (Cut)

McGlockton and Williams will be here next year. The team has too much money tied up in both. Tim Grunhard may retire. Hasty may stay another year. If he chooses retirement, I'd like to see the Chiefs make him the DB coach.

[This message has been edited by FloridaChief (edited 12-20-2000).]

Griese Fan
12-20-2000, 04:17 AM
Pitt,
Chet's play has been pretty good the last 3 to 4 weeks, but he could be, and should be the best player on that D-Line. He hasn't given the effort for the entire season. I want players that "leave it all out on the field" and Chet just doesn't do that. He can't be cut, but if not for the cap hit, he should be.
the milkman
cuttng the fat

BigAl
12-20-2000, 07:03 AM
Everyone talks about how we can't cut Chet and D.Williams because of the Cap hit next year. I can't find these numbers anywhere. If anyone knows where I can find them, I'd appreciate a link. I thought this was the year the Chiefs would suffer the most if they were cut. As much as it hurts, I agree with Pam. I want Chet(I'm jumping offsides at the most crucial times) and D.Williams (When I do practice, it's only on Fridays) gone next year.

I'm still hoping the Chiefs take Defensive tackles with their first two draft picks.

[This message has been edited by DeepSouth (edited 12-20-2000).]

DoktorSmith
12-20-2000, 07:48 AM
DeepSouth-

I seem to recall a Posnanski article where $7 million for McGlockton and $4 for Williams were mentioned.

Can anyone with a more reliable memory confirm this?

xoxo~
gaz
suffering memory-impairment of chemical origin.<BR>

Shootr
12-20-2000, 08:22 AM
Warren Moon (Ret) - ok
Donnell Bennett (Cut)ok

Kimble Anders (Cut/Ret)ok
Dante Hall (Ret) If he could get out of the dog house and be given a chance to show what he can do.

Kevin Lockett (Lost to FA) ok
Larry Parker (Cut)ok
Dave Szott (Ret) ok

Will Shields (Lost to FA) I hope not, but if he does go, maybe we can find another one like Blackshear. Blackshear has done a really good job this year.

Troy Drayton (Cut)
Lew Bush (Cut)
James Hasty (Ret) ok

Pat Dennis (Cut) Why?? I think if the bump-and-run coverage happens he will be better, besides, how many rookie db's are really good their first year?.

Carlton Gray (Cut) ok
Eric Warfield (Cut) maybe. Hasn't he been injurde all year?

------------------
Brian K.

Too bad the only people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and cutting hair.
[i]George Burns </I>

morphius
12-20-2000, 08:27 AM
Glock is the 5th best defensive lineman on his own team. IMO Hicks, Clemons, Williams, and Browning are all superior. If you think I'm wrong, look up some stats.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
12-20-2000, 08:40 AM
Gaz:

McGlockton is a major issue for the Chiefs because he accounts for a large chunk of their salary allotment. The Chiefs restructured his original contract twice, but, according to NFL players association figures, McGlockton's salary and bonuses count for more than $4.3 million against the Chiefs' cap.

That's a larger cap number than any other Chiefs player. It will double next season unless McGlockton and the Chiefs agree on some cap relief.

Taken from http://www.kcstar.com/item/pages/chiefs.pat,sports/3774e888.b10,.html

BigChiefsFan
12-20-2000, 08:45 AM
Can't argue with many choices, although I agree that Warfield and Dennis need some more time to mature.

And I will almost guarantee that Shields will either be back next year or sit out/retire. Why? Carl will slap the "franchise" tag on him. He's good, but I don't see many teams giving up 1st and 3rd round picks for him.

And don't forget the entire, worthless, how-in-the-hell-did-they-get-the-jobs-in-the-first-place coaching staff.

MM
~~Agrees with a house cleaning.

Lurker Brett
12-20-2000, 09:00 AM
Gaz, Teischer is the one who said Chet would count 7 mil against the cap, and Williams 4.2. That is, if we cut them prior to June 1. After that, who knows, my guess would be about 4.5 this season, and 2.5 next on Chet. Bush signed for 17 mil, 6 yrs, but no signing bonus, so he will probably be gone, no cap hit their. Steve Martin got a 10 mil signing bonus, so he is still going to be here. Grey, Warfield, are all but gone. As is Anders, and Bennett. The big relief will be Elvis and his new 7 yr, 30 mil contract. With minimum salary, that will only count a little less than 5 mil per season. These figure I got from NFLTalk, but are only partial listings, still working on more.

BigAl
12-20-2000, 09:07 AM
Here's a link to the NFL Players Association web page. I could find no information about Salaries/Bonuses/Cap Hits/etc...
http://www.nflpa.org/

You'd think this info would be posted somewhere.

CHIEF1
12-20-2000, 09:15 AM
I hate to say it, but I don't think ANY of the coaching staff will be gone. A 3 game winning streak to end the season on a good note took care of that. (providing a win at Atlanta, of course)
Grunny sure sounds like he's ready to retire, and Szott is already done.
I think Hasty will be back; the guy can still play with the best of them.
Bush SHOULD be gone, but he'll get another year to prove himself.
Chester and Williams will be here next year.
Does anyone know what the situation is with Marvcus Patton? I know he's getting up there in age, but he has never said anything about retiring. He is still a long way from being done in the league.

[This message has been edited by redhed (edited 12-20-2000).]

Fat Homer
12-20-2000, 09:34 AM
Instead of who will be gone...who will stay...

QB: Grbac, Collins
WR: Morris, Alexander, Ricks, Lockett
RB: Richardson, Moreau, Anders, Hall, Cloud
TE: Gonzalez, Dunn, Gammon (deep snapper)
OL: Tait, Blackshear, Willis, Riley
DE: Clemmons, Hicks
DT: McGlockton, Williams, Browning, Martin
LB: Maz, Patton, Edwards, George
CB: Dennis, Warfield, Bartee
S: Woods, Wesley, Atkins, Walker
K: Peterson, Sauerbrun

These are the players I think will be in camp for sure...doesn't mean they will be on the team come September...

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
12-20-2000, 09:41 AM
Word is that Hall will not return, Joe.

Fat Homer
12-20-2000, 10:04 AM
Whose word?...the word is probably right, but I don't believe he was given a fair opportunity as a RB...I'd like to see him get a second chance at RB...he could be our lightning to TRich and Moreau's thunder.

At least bring him into camp...and really, that's all I'm saying about alot of people on our list, they will be in camp...no guarantees about being on the team...

[This message has been edited by 58Forever (edited 12-20-2000).]

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
12-20-2000, 10:11 AM
Old what's-her-name (something2034) who knows him (Bob Dole has no reason to doubt her word) said that Dante hasn't the desire to play.

Fat Homer
12-20-2000, 10:17 AM
Okay, if that's the way he wants to be...

milkman
12-20-2000, 10:58 AM
Joe - I doubt Anders will be back as well, if I were him I would retire then go through another year of getting the shaft. Cloud might get to stay just for lack of anyone else left at the position.

Lightning Rod
12-20-2000, 11:13 AM
Why do you guys think we will keep Dunn over Drayton? Is it because of age? Drayton has made some good plays for us this year. I don't get why they would let him go over Dunn. Just curious.

Dole is correct about Hall's friend. I think she quit coming to the board after some people asked why Dante still draws a check if he doesn't have the desire. Sounded like Hall has some personal things to take care of.

milkman
12-20-2000, 11:35 AM
DJ - I think they may try to keep both of them, otherwise they will take the one that is cheaper. They are both FA after this season, but I agree the Chiefs would like to keep 3 quality TE's on the roster. They do seem to like the 3 TE set.

Lightning Rod
12-20-2000, 12:00 PM
Morphius - Thanks. You're probably right about the money. That's probably the biggest factor for those guys. On post #13 (58Forever) lists Gammon at TE and as deep snapper. My guess is that they would keep him unless they get another snapper. So that leaves Gonzalez, Gammon, and Drayton OR Dunn. I think that if the price is right, they will keep Drayton. He has league experience and has played some good minutes this season. In this case, age may not be a factor because of Tony G.

Fat Homer
12-20-2000, 12:07 PM
My reason for picking Dunn over Drayton is price...I think Drayton would get more $$$$...Disco, that's why I put Gammon in...as the deep snapper he's too valuable to get rid of...unless of course we can pick up another OL that also snaps...then I'd say I hope they can keep Drayton too...

Morph, I pick Anders to be around because he is a better choice at FB then Benett...if TRich is going to be the feature back...at HB...then we'll need a FB...and Anders has some ability left...he might not be so unhappy if he's starting at FB...use him like they did a few years ago...

[This message has been edited by 58Forever (edited 12-20-2000).]

bigdaddychieffan
12-20-2000, 12:17 PM
I believe I read one of Gun's press conferance's saying they were really pleased w/ Dunn's progress since his return from injury. I'm not sure, but think Dunn is ultimately more cap-friendly than Drayton. That leaves Gonzo, Dunn and Gammon (who functions mainly as the long snapper); so to perserve the 3 TE set, I think the Chiefs will go after a cheap FA TE during the off-season.

CHIEF1
12-20-2000, 12:25 PM
I think that both Anders and Bennett will be gone at season's end. They'll probably be some of the first cuts. Their contract are too big.<BR>

DoktorSmith
12-20-2000, 12:40 PM
I have just a couple of revisions to 58Forever's list:

QB: Grbac, Collins, draft QBOTF
WR: Morris, Alexander, Ricks, FA WR
RB: Richardson, Moreau, FA FB, draft pick K/PR
TE: Gonzalez, Dunn, Gammon (deep snapper)
OL: Tait, Blackshear, Willis, Riley, Alford, FA depth, draft C
DE: Clemmons, Hicks, draft pick
DT: McGlockton, Williams, Browning, Martin
LB: Maz, Patton, Edwards, George, draft OLB #1
CB: Dennis, Warfield, Bartee, Hasty or veteran FA CB
S: Woods, Wesley, Atkins, Walker
K: Peterson, Sauerbrun

xoxo~
gaz
tweaking the list just a little bit.<BR>

Fat Homer
12-20-2000, 12:44 PM
I'm hoping we can convince Hasty to play one more year...

DoktorSmith
12-20-2000, 12:48 PM
Give me a new DC and a return to good old QB-crushing Chiefs D [die, soft zone, DIE!], and I will take Hasty, Dennis, Bartee and Warfield.

If Hasty is not part of that equation, then we will need a veteran FA CB far more than Dillon.

Carl should pay Hasty whatever it takes to get him to return for one more season.

xoxo~
gaz
doesn't want all all-rookie CB corps.<BR>

Lurker Brett
12-20-2000, 12:58 PM
I really believe Grunny will be back, if he can work any kind of a deal. He will retire, rather than go FA. Hasty is another who, I hope stays. Someone said Anders and Bennett would cost 6.5 against the cap, so I think they are gone, which will leave us, TRich, Moreau, and Cloud. You know they want at least 5 backs, so they either must plan on drafting one or two, or expect something in FA. Providing the Hall thing is true.

Fat Homer
12-20-2000, 01:12 PM
Some of the bubble players like Hasty and Grunhard are only going to stay if the Chiefs front office decicates themselves to winning...ie: getting rid of some coaches, trying to get FAs by hook or crook, etc...or at leasts gives the appearance...if players like these don't see some sign that things are going to change, why come back?....<P>

CHIEF1
12-20-2000, 02:25 PM
DTForever, you've got it nailed.<P>

The_Grand_Illusion
12-20-2000, 03:19 PM
t

Idahojim
12-20-2000, 03:35 PM
I'm totaly in the dark about Hall,what is wrong with him ?

ColoradoChief
12-20-2000, 05:42 PM
On McGlockton, I don't care what stats you're looking at, the last few games he's been our #2 DLman easily; and that's just because Hicks, at #1, should have easily been a PBer. If you've watched the last few games and can tell me with a straight face that Glock is our 5th best DLman then you know dick all about football. He's been dominating the last few games. Sure, he's been inconsistant. But the whole defense has been inconsistant.

As for Dunn, he's just plain better than Drayton. He's got major upside and will probably be a starter somewhere in the next year or two unless we re-sign him. He's surpassed Drayton as #2 on the depth chart as of a few weeks ago. I'd love to keep them both.

ColoradoChief
12-20-2000, 05:46 PM
As for FA additions, don't expect any huge aquisitions. The Chiefs won't be able to afford any. Sure, we'll pick up a few castaways that may or may not work out (Dishmans, Bushs, etc.) but we won't get a Dillon or Garner. Our only chance at a HB comes through the draft.

And back to the McGlockton/Williams cutting issue, if those #s are for before June 1st, then it would cost more to cut them after, not less.

Lurker Brett
12-21-2000, 05:36 AM
Sorry G Man, but if you cut a player prior to June 1, then all the signing bonus is charged. After June 1, it is the prorated portion only, and the rest is assigned to next years cap numbers. So it is spread over two years, instead of all at once.

Lurker Brett
12-21-2000, 05:40 AM
Also G Man, I agree with you on Glocks performance. His offside calls are for agressiveness and anticipating the snap count, not stupidity. Any of us who have watched the Chiefs, can remember Derrick standing all alone in the opponents backfield for the very same reason. DTForever, I think you are right about Hasty and Grunny. Might give us a glimpse at 01, depending on what they do.