PDA

View Full Version : ESPN, Bobby Fisher: Chest king still lost ....

ROYC75
04-18-2005, 11:11 AM
Anybody else seen the story by Jeremy Schapp on Bobby Fischer last night ?

It told about Fischer was taken in and conciled by Dick Schapp while jeremy was a kid, only to turn on his father after Dick wrote some stories about Bobby, who claims Dick befriended him.

Fischer had strong words about the USA during his matches over seas in US sanctioned countries. Fischer then turn and was not heard from for years.

After 9/11 attacks, Fischer was praising the attacks and cussing up a storm about the USA, policies and such.

That story took any respect I had for Fischer away . :shake:

Joe Seahawk
04-18-2005, 11:14 AM
Speaking of Chest Kings..

http://www.emerchandise.com/images/p/ELV/pdPMELV0004.jpg

Simplex3
04-18-2005, 11:14 AM
Yeah, I also lost a lot of respect for him when I found out he played chess.

Count Alex's Losses
04-18-2005, 11:15 AM
Bobby Fisher the Chest King? Never heard of him. I've heard of Bobby Fischer the Chess King.... :)

Demonpenz
04-18-2005, 11:18 AM
sounds like his ego is too big to be put in "check"

ROYC75
04-18-2005, 11:21 AM
OK, missed the c, c what I mean.

KCChiefsFan88
04-18-2005, 11:26 AM
Yeah I saw that on ESPN, Fischer needs a shrink who enjoys a challenge.

Pretty amazing how the Cold War made events that no one would otherwise care about (i.e. chess matches and the Olympics) into big deals.

eazyb81
04-18-2005, 11:26 AM
Do you know why he the US is trying to get him extradited back to the country? What did he do? I saw the end of the piece when he went on his little rant about Schaap, he sounded crazy to me. Seems like one of those cases where someone is too brilliant for their own good.

redhed
04-18-2005, 11:27 AM
I love his crazy old man beard. Very Husseinian...

KChiefs1
04-18-2005, 11:31 AM
"Searching for Bobby Fisher" is a great movie though! :thumb:

Count Alex's Losses
04-18-2005, 11:35 AM

Mmm, yes, I love that movie.

"There it is!"

BIG_DADDY
04-18-2005, 11:35 AM
Fisher is just pissed because of the way the US treated him after playing the forbidden game. I don't like the guy personally but I understand why he's pissed. Who the f8ck are we to tell somebody whether they can play a game of chess with another individual? The whole thing is stupid.

ROYC75
04-18-2005, 11:38 AM
Do you know why he the US is trying to get him extradited back to the country? What did he do? I saw the end of the piece when he went on his little rant about Schaap, he sounded crazy to me. Seems like one of those cases where someone is too brilliant for their own good.

OK, somebody correct me if I am wrong here. I was lead to believe it had something to do with US sanctions on foreign countries.

Swanman
04-18-2005, 12:16 PM

"It's there Josh, it's twelve moves away but it's there. Don't move until you see it".

Hydrae
04-18-2005, 12:19 PM
Fisher is just pissed because of the way the US treated him after playing the forbidden game. I don't like the guy personally but I understand why he's pissed. Who the f8ck are we to tell somebody whether they can play a game of chess with another individual? The whole thing is stupid.

One of those times I completely agree with you, BD. I don't know the details but he went from hero to traitor in a short period of time simply because he exercised his freedom to go play a game of chess. Given the way he has been treated in the last couple of decades, I am not sure I blame him for his attitude towards this country.

CosmicPal
04-18-2005, 12:23 PM
Uhhhh, what's a chest king?

That would be kinda creepy for a guy to be a chest king, ya know? A female chest "queen" would be somebody like Dolly Parton who has boobs big enough to provide shade for small children. But, a chest king? Uggggh, that's too creepy for me, man.

KCTitus
04-18-2005, 01:00 PM
...I was lead to believe it had something to do with US sanctions on foreign countries.

That's the way I understand it. He played in Yugoslavia back during the cold war or something like that.

Dude is a total moonbat.

Count Alex's Losses
04-18-2005, 01:07 PM
"It's there Josh, it's twelve moves away but it's there. Don't move until you see it".

"I'm offering you a draw." :)

BIG_DADDY
04-18-2005, 01:26 PM

I don't know but it sounds like it has potential.

Edubs
04-18-2005, 01:31 PM
That's the way I understand it. He played in Yugoslavia back during the cold war or something like that.

Dude is a total moonbat.

Yes you are correct. Did you hear the stuff he was saying after 9/11? I hope the freak rotts in hell.

BIG_DADDY
04-18-2005, 01:34 PM
One of those times I completely agree with you, BD. I don't know the details but he went from hero to traitor in a short period of time simply because he exercised his freedom to go play a game of chess. Given the way he has been treated in the last couple of decades, I am not sure I blame him for his attitude towards this country.

What won't we legislate anymore? The micromanagement of our government over individuals is getting truly scary.

Brock
04-18-2005, 01:41 PM
On 9/11:

"This is all wonderful news," Fischer said. "I applaud the act. The U.S. and Israel have been slaughtering the Palestinians, just slaughtering them for years. Robbing them and slaughtering them. Nobody gave a shit. Now it's coming back to the U.S. F*ck the U.S. I want to see the U.S. wiped out."

F*ck him.

ROYC75
04-18-2005, 01:42 PM
The fact that the USA was wrong in the handling of the games and Fischer , does not give him the right to make a mockery of the 9/11 attacks, he is insane.

Screw him.......

vailpass
04-18-2005, 01:42 PM
I'm no good at chest but I love chokers.

Baby Lee
04-18-2005, 01:47 PM
I'm no good at chest but I love chokers.
Hence your presence on Chiefsplanet. :thumb:

Baby Lee
04-18-2005, 01:53 PM
What won't we legislate anymore? The micromanagement of our government over individuals is getting truly scary.
Economic sanctions against nations we oppose is the complete opposite of micromanagement. Fischer is sought because he participated in a match in Yugoslavia, a nation against whom we had economic sanctions. The purpose of economic sanctions is to starve a regime we deem contrary to American interests. Yugoslavia was, at that time, fostering genocide in Bosnia. The proceeds of Fischer's match contributed to the continued fiscal health of Yugoslavia, which meant increased costs to us to defend against the threat this nation posed to our interests.

BIG_DADDY
04-18-2005, 02:18 PM
Economic sanctions against nations we oppose is the complete opposite of micromanagement. Fischer is sought because he participated in a match in Yugoslavia, a nation against whom we had economic sanctions. The purpose of economic sanctions is to starve a regime we deem contrary to American interests. Yugoslavia was, at that time, fostering genocide in Bosnia. The proceeds of Fischer's match contributed to the continued fiscal health of Yugoslavia, which meant increased costs to us to defend against the threat this nation posed to our interests.

You know more about this than me. I thought Fischer won that match and the money that went with it. I have never been much of one for some of these sanctions. I still like Cuban cigars and have some friends that go to Cuba every couple years to party down. Tell you truth I wouldn't mind going with them next time they go. They live like kings when they are over there.

KCJake
04-18-2005, 02:39 PM
I watched it on SportsCenter last night. It was a great story. Kind of sad to see Bobby Fisher bad mouth Jeremy's dad like that.

vailpass
04-18-2005, 02:48 PM
Hence your presence on Chiefsplanet. :thumb:

:clap: Nice. I was making a play on the word 'checkers', didn't look far enough ahead to see that one coming.
No offense intended.

elvomito
04-18-2005, 03:09 PM

That would be kinda creepy for a guy to be a chest king, ya know? A female chest "queen" would be somebody like Dolly Parton who has boobs big enough to provide shade for small children. But, a chest king? Uggggh, that's too creepy for me, man.
his name was robert paulson