PDA

View Full Version : Smoking a Brisket?

tyton75
04-18-2005, 10:32 AM
Well, I'm ready to fire up my smoker again, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me. I like smoking brisket, but I have a tendency of drying them out.. don't know if I'm cooking it too long.. or too hot..

I usually cook them fat down, (is it supposed to be fat up?), and I dont' wrap it.. I use apple wood first.. then some hickory a little later.. smoke about 90min a pound

I have found that if I take it off early.. it tastes better, but is much tougher to chew..

I'm firing it up for the Draft this weekend and could use any help that someone wants to give... Who knows more about BBQ than Chiefs fans.. right??

penguinz
04-18-2005, 10:34 AM
fat up. Also spritz it with apple juice on occasion.

Athis
04-18-2005, 10:35 AM
Get a tin foil pan and put water or beef broth in the pan. Put your coals around the pan, indirect cooking. That should help....

penguinz
04-18-2005, 10:36 AM
HERE (http://www.heb.com/mealtime/CT-brisketSecrets.jsp) is a nice recipe.

redhed
Sound like the smoker may be too hot too long if the meat is dry. You might try spraying it w/ apple or grape juice a coupla times during. That will help w/ dryness and gives a nice flavor on the outer edges.

Sure-Oz
i want briscuit now, bastard!

penguinz
04-18-2005, 10:37 AM
i want briscuit now, bastard!
What the hell is a briscuit?

Phobia
04-18-2005, 10:37 AM
Fat up.

After 3-4 hours on the smoker @ 225, take it off slather it in some sauce and wrap it as air tight as possible in foil.

Put it on for another 2-3 hours at a higher heat - 3-400. When internal temp is at 185, it's done for slicing 195-200 for chopped.

Have fun.

htismaqe
04-18-2005, 10:41 AM
OK, here's some tips on cooking brisket, because you do HAVE to cook it a long time (it's a tough cut of meat)...

1) Cook it fat side UP, that will help keep the meat moist.

2) If you're using a cheaper model smoker like from Wal Mart or Menard's that has alot of extra airflow, that will dry the meat. Offset that by putting a pan of water in the bottom of the smoker. If you want, use beer instead of water, or you can flavor the water too.

3) I don't usually cook by weight or anything precise like that. I just cook until it's "done". But I wouldn't cook brisket at any temperature above 225 degrees. Don't be surprised if a 10-lb brisket takes 16 hours...

Mark M
04-18-2005, 10:41 AM
I suggest a bong ...

just don't make it out of a human skull.

MM
~~:D

htismaqe
04-18-2005, 10:44 AM
Fat up.

After 3-4 hours on the smoker @ 225, take it off slather it in some sauce and wrap it as air tight as possible in foil.

Put it on for another 2-3 hours at a higher heat - 3-400. When internal temp is at 185, it's done for slicing 195-200 for chopped.

Have fun.

cheater...

:D

Phobia
04-18-2005, 10:44 AM
3) I don't usually cook by weight or anything precise like that. I just cook until it's "done". But I wouldn't cook brisket at any temperature above 225 degrees. Don't be surprised if a 10-lb brisket takes 16 hours...

Yeah - my times are for a pretty small brisket. Time is pretty irrelevant. You're concerned with smoker temp and internal temp.

Phobia
04-18-2005, 10:45 AM
cheater...

:D

I'm new.

KCTitus
04-18-2005, 10:46 AM
If there's not enough fat on the back side, you can lay strips of bacon over the top and that fat will keep the meat moist. I allways use water.

yunghungwell
04-18-2005, 10:48 AM
Does a brisket require a butt ton of Zig-Zags?

Mark M
04-18-2005, 10:52 AM
Yeah - my times are for a pretty small brisket. Time is pretty irrelevant. You're concerned with smoker temp and internal temp.

The Mrs. and I learned that last time we tried cooking a medium sized brisket.

We've also found that a pan with water and juice (usually apple) do an outstanding job of keeping it moist, as does wrapping in bacon.

The only issue with adding the water/juice mixture is you've got to make it light on the juice -- the sugar in it will burn and leave the meat with a burnt flavor.

All of this is making me hungry ... time for lunch.

MM
~~:drool:

Mark M
04-18-2005, 10:53 AM
If there's not enough fat on the back side, you can lay strips of bacon over the top and that fat will keep the meat moist. I allways use water.

Okay ... so I was a few minutes late on the bacon suggestion.

MM
~~:)

skky man
04-18-2005, 11:04 AM
tried lot's of ways to cook one this is the one that I have settled on and hasn't let me down.

1) cook fat side up for a few hours then turn over and for the rest of the time. Never trim the fat. 8 to 10 hrs at 150 to 200 degrees. After ten hours the meat has absourbed as much flavor as it will. Alway have a water pan in the smoker!

skky man
04-18-2005, 11:07 AM
2) finish cooking in the oven 8 to 10 hours and wrapped in foil in a roasting pan at 200 degrees
3)refrigerate 24 to 48 hrs and then trim the fat off slice
4)I usually coat mine with a o-ju sauce and then with my favorite bar-b-que sauce and heat at 200 until warmed through!

cdcox
04-18-2005, 11:08 AM
You say the taste gets bad when you leave it on long enough to make it tender. This could be a indication of "over-smoking" the meat. Hickory is extremely flavorful and if overdone can make the brisket taste like an ashtray. Try cutting back on the amount of hickory smoke. Brisket is one of the most difficult cuts to do well, but if done correctly gives some of the most satisfying results.

KCTitus
04-18-2005, 11:09 AM
Im not sure if anyone mentioned this, either, but after removing it from the smoker, let the meat rest before cutting into it.

Skip Towne
04-18-2005, 11:09 AM
Go down to 1727 Brooklyn and buy it already smoked. Put it in your smoker just before guests arrive. Make a big production of taking it off the smoker in front of the guests. Next I'll teach you how to age scotch.

Skip Towne
04-18-2005, 11:12 AM
Im not sure if anyone mentioned this, either, but after removing it from the smoker, let the meat rest before cutting into it.
Yeah, you must let it rest. Phobia told me that smoking meat is very tiring.

htismaqe
04-18-2005, 11:32 AM

MMMMM...pork fat...

htismaqe
04-18-2005, 11:33 AM
tried lot's of ways to cook one this is the one that I have settled on and hasn't let me down.

1) cook fat side up for a few hours then turn over and for the rest of the time. Never trim the fat. 8 to 10 hrs at 150 to 200 degrees. After ten hours the meat has absourbed as much flavor as it will. Alway have a water pan in the smoker!

I never have to use a water pan in my smoker. It really depends on the smoker and how much airflow it has, but I've cooked chicken parts on mine with no water and they were plenty moist...

Fried Meat Ball!
04-18-2005, 12:25 PM
Don't know if it's already been suggested, but along with fat being up, DO NOT buy one already packaged. Go to the grocery store when a butcher is on duty, tell them you're wanting to smoke it, and ask him to trim one with about 1/8-1/4 inch of fat... if you don't have enough fat it won't matter which side is up.

redbrian
04-18-2005, 12:33 PM
I use a two stage smoker, fire on the bottom, water pan in the middle and meat on top.

Iíll use a bbq rub, soak my chips in beer than add any remaining rub and a couple cans of beer along with water to fill up the water pan.

Never have a problem with drying out, oh and leave the damn lid on, only take it off towards the end to check the temp, and add any sauce (no more than 15 min. prior to taking the meat out of the smoker), let rest 15 min, than pull apart.

dave0320
04-18-2005, 12:51 PM
If you want to do it right by a Pyrex Internal Temp probe at Bed Bath & Beyond. Insert it in the Brisket, and look for an internal tep of 190 de.You may also weant to try a Boston Pork Butt. Look fo an internal temp of 200 de, for pulled pork.It's do die for. :thumb:

Phobia
04-18-2005, 01:32 PM
You say the taste gets bad when you leave it on long enough to make it tender. This could be a indication of "over-smoking" the meat. Hickory is extremely flavorful and if overdone can make the brisket taste like an ashtray. Try cutting back on the amount of hickory smoke. Brisket is one of the most difficult cuts to do well, but if done correctly gives some of the most satisfying results.

I experienced this on my final batch Saturday. Used too much hickory.... it's still edible, but it's plenty strong.

tyton75
04-18-2005, 01:40 PM
yeah.. I like Pork Butts too.. I was thinking of throwing one of those on too..

thanks for the advice: what i've learned that I didn't know.. that I will try-

water in pan
fat UP
and I need a thermometer! lol

thanks all.. i really appreciate it!

htismaqe
04-18-2005, 01:45 PM
yeah.. I like Pork Butts too.. I was thinking of throwing one of those on too..

thanks for the advice: what i've learned that I didn't know.. that I will try-

water in pan
fat UP
and I need a thermometer! lol

thanks all.. i really appreciate it!

Pork butts rule.

tyton75
04-18-2005, 01:46 PM
when you slice it up.. do you carve by hand, or do you have slicers... and if you use slicers.. which ones are the good one's cause I'm too freaking lazy to carve by hand! :)