PDA

View Full Version : What is the best medicine/treatment you have found to get rid of poison ivy?

Bowser
04-18-2005, 01:12 PM
I was working in the yard last Friday trying to reclaim my fence from the wild, and apparently stumbled into some poison ivy/oak/sumac. By Sunday, I had the stuff up and down both arms (which were swelling), on my stomach, down my left leg, and my eyes were working on swelling shut. I went to the urgent care where they gave me a shot, and prescribed a cream to put on the affected areas - Desoximetasone.

Today, my eyes and arms aren't nearly as swollen, but the ivy rash, those bumps, seem to be spreading. Is there anything else I should put on this crap to dry it up, or should I just let the medicine and cream do its work?

And yes, I know I should try to avoid it to begin with! Just cutting a few of you off at the pass.......

SBK
04-18-2005, 01:16 PM
I've used Super Ivy Dry, you can pick it up at Wal-Mart. Burns like a son of a gun, but that crap goes away in 2-3 days.

Baby Lee
04-18-2005, 01:16 PM
Oatmeal bath is pretty effective.

http://www.dermadoctor.com/product.asp?productID=156

Bowser
04-18-2005, 01:19 PM

So I just throw some Quaker Oats in the tub?

CosmicPal
04-18-2005, 01:20 PM
I usually have sex with a female stranger and pass the poison ivy onto her.

Bowser
04-18-2005, 01:21 PM

http://www.dermadoctor.com/product.asp?productID=156

I'm pretty sure it would work better if Audrey came over and sponged me down herself.......

SBK
04-18-2005, 01:23 PM
I usually have sex with a female stranger and pass the poison ivy onto her.

I wouldn't do that unless the poison ivy was all over your sac.

Baby Lee
04-18-2005, 01:24 PM
So I just throw some Quaker Oats in the tub?
I suppose you'd get some of the benefits from plain ol' rolled oats, but you'd have to stick it into the Cuisinart and grind it to a fine powder.
The commercial versions are already ground and have some additional moisturizers and emmolients.
I was not on the bandwagon, but the GF recommended it, and it worked great. I guess it's about the bath being warm and all over that it kind of 'cooks' the itch out of you.

redbrian
04-18-2005, 01:24 PM
If it's not bad the ivy dry is good, if I get a bad case I get a Cortizone shot from the Doc (any good cream you use will be cortizone based), the shot will usally clear up even the worst case in a day or two.

The best thing when you can is to take a shower as soon as possible after exposure and wash your clothes (make sure to wash your hands after handling the contaminated clothing). Lye soap is the best thing I have found to cut the oils, there is also a specific soap on the market for poisen ivy which I have found effective (can't remember the name off hand though).

Phobia
04-18-2005, 01:30 PM
If you fire up a big log in the fireplace, just touch it to each PI blister. That should take care of everything.

penguinz
04-18-2005, 01:38 PM
If you fire up a big log in the fireplace, just touch it to each PI blister. That should take care of everything.
When doing this make sure you burn some of the poison ivy with it.

Simplex3
04-18-2005, 01:39 PM
Steroids from your doctor. Nothing else compares. When I was a kid my dad and I had poison oak from head to toe, that was a miserable f**king time.

Rausch
04-18-2005, 01:40 PM

I always found a sunburn worked. Seriously.

Bowser
04-18-2005, 01:43 PM

I think I'll just get a ball peen hammer and hit myself in the nuts every time I start to itch. At least I won't be thinking about how bad it itches.

REDHOTGTO
04-18-2005, 01:49 PM
This works for me every time, sounds goofy but it really works.
scratch all poison ivy spots quite hard and break them open and either pour chlorine beach on them or put a gallon in your bath tub and soak in it,{less painful} this sounds crazy but works wonders I PROMISE :thumb:

Bowser
04-18-2005, 01:51 PM
scratch all poison ivy spots quite hard and break them open and either pour chlorine beach on them or put a gallon in your bath tub and soak in it,{less painful} this sounds crazy but works wonders I PROMISE :thumb:

I've had someone tell me to try that, but only with Hydrgogen Peroxide. Bleach would hurt like a mofo!

catfish307
04-18-2005, 01:53 PM
Cortisone shot and the dosepacks of steroids are the only way to go. Should start to dry up in a day. Wait til you get poison ivy on your ball sack if you really want to be miserable..........

jarjar
04-18-2005, 01:54 PM
set yourself on fire

Iowanian
04-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Get someone to Pee on it.............

jcroft
04-18-2005, 02:06 PM
This sounds like a good excuse to take some hydrocodone.

Then again, I can turn just about anything into an excuse to pop a couple of hydrocodone pills.

PastorMikH
04-18-2005, 02:10 PM
If it's not bad the ivy dry is good, if I get a bad case I get a Cortizone shot from the Doc (any good cream you use will be cortizone based), the shot will usally clear up even the worst case in a day or two.

The best thing when you can is to take a shower as soon as possible after exposure and wash your clothes (make sure to wash your hands after handling the contaminated clothing). Lye soap is the best thing I have found to cut the oils, there is also a specific soap on the market for poisen ivy which I have found effective (can't remember the name off hand though).

Yep. The shot is the best way to go. Make sure to ask the Doc for some cream as well. The Rx creams work a lot better than over the counter stuff. That way the next time you get into the stuf, you have some of the slave to keep it from getting so bad.

Also, Joy dishsoap does a really good job too. If you've ever worked on a car and gotten that black grease from head to toe, and remember how much you scrubbed to get it off, keep that in mind when you are washing after being in poison Ivy or Oak. It is a clear oil that gets onto your skin that you have to get washed off if you don't want to get the crud.

I've done that too and it does work. Though I would be hesitant to do so on your face. It does sting just a little, however I have found that I don't itch near as bad after pouring bleach. I'd gladly deal with the stinging to get rid of the itching for a while.

ROYC75
04-18-2005, 02:13 PM
Steroids from your doctor. Nothing else compares. When I was a kid my dad and I had poison oak from head to toe, that was a miserable f**king time.

Have the doc get you a 7 day steroid pack and cortizone, some kind of anti itch cream. If you can take benedryl without getting sleepy, it works best for the itch.

I use to work in the timber ,logging and had to do this twice a year .

PastorMikH
04-18-2005, 02:15 PM
BTW, the last case of poison ivy I got, I got from a deer. I shot the deer during bow season and I guess he had been into some prior to me killing him and had the residue on his fur.

The wife worked at a clinic and I slipped in the back door and caught on of the Drs. He was from the middle east, and you don't see much poison ivy in SW Kansas. He's sitting there looking at it telling me he's never seen anything like that before. I tell him it's poison ivy and if he will give me a cortisone pack and cortisone cream, that will take care of it. OK, he says, and writes the prescripts.

MOhillbilly
04-18-2005, 02:16 PM
just rub some dirt on it.:rolleyes:

badgirl
04-18-2005, 02:22 PM
While we are on a what medication subject, what is the quickest way to heal cold sores? I went to the tanning bed a few days ago and burnt my face and lips, I got 3 big cold sores, and they hurt like hell, everytime I get sunburned, tanning bed burned or a high fever I end up with these agravating things, and if I get really stressed out.

How do I get them to heal up fast?

PastorMikH
04-18-2005, 02:24 PM
While we are on a what medication subject, what is the quickest way to heal cold sores? I went to the tanning bed a few days ago and burnt my face and lips, I got 3 big cold sores, and they hurt like everytime I get sunburned, tanning bed burned or a high fever I end up with these agravating things, and if I get really stressed out.

Go to the pharmacy and ask the pharmacist. There are several over-the-counter meds for them. We had some here that you squirt on a Q-tip then dab it on the cold sore. Dries them right up.

Baby Lee
04-18-2005, 02:25 PM
While we are on a what medication subject, what is the quickest way to heal cold sores? I went to the tanning bed a few days ago and burnt my face and lips, I got 3 big cold sores, and they hurt like hell, everytime I get sunburned, tanning bed burned or a high fever I end up with these agravating things, and if I get really stressed out.

Stay away from Ron Mexico!!!

badgirl
04-18-2005, 02:27 PM
Go to the pharmacy and ask the pharmacist. There are several over-the-counter meds for them. We had some here that you squirt on a Q-tip then dab it on the cold sore. Dries them right up.
I been using carmex, and Herpecin L, I have had them for about 5 days, so this stuff isn't working all that great. :deevee:

jcroft
04-18-2005, 02:29 PM
I been using carmex, and Herpecin L, I have had them for about 5 days, so this stuff isn't working all that great. :deevee:

I would think the Carmex could actually make them worse (although it probably makes them FEEL better). You gotta look out for that stuff, too -- the camphor can be addictive.

Edubs
04-18-2005, 02:32 PM
I think you are supposed to pee on yourself.

badgirl
04-18-2005, 02:35 PM
I would think the Carmex could actually make them worse (although it probably makes them FEEL better). You gotta look out for that stuff, too -- the camphor can be addictive.
How can it be addictive? I am not eating it or sniffing it I am just rubbing it on my lips.

badgirl
04-18-2005, 02:36 PM
I think you are supposed to pee on yourself.
How would that help? :rolleyes:

Loki
04-18-2005, 07:45 PM
hydrocortisone ointment and caladryl/calamine lotion 3-4 times a day for
4 days.

Inspector
04-18-2005, 07:58 PM
Years ago I had it and put a product called DMSO on it. Cleared it right up. DMSO is a clear liquid that when applied to the skin will create a garlic flavor in your mouth. Weird stuff....

I don't think DMSO was ever approved by the food and drug folks. Got it from my mom but have no idea where she got it. I don't even know if it's available anywhere nowadays. This happened in the mid 70's.

Loki
04-18-2005, 08:02 PM
Years ago I had it and put a product called DMSO on it. Cleared it right up. DMSO is a clear liquid that when applied to the skin will create a garlic flavor in your mouth. Weird stuff....

I don't think DMSO was ever approved by the food and drug folks. Got it from my mom but have no idea where she got it. I don't even know if it's available anywhere nowadays. This happened in the mid 70's.

mid 70's eh?
were you able to hear light and see sound when you used it?
:p

Inspector
04-18-2005, 08:08 PM
mid 70's eh?
were you able to hear light and see sound when you used it?
:p

Naw, all the colors swirling around my head obstructed my view.

And then the walls started breathing and well, heck I just freaked out after that. :thumb:

thumper118
04-18-2005, 08:12 PM
Go to your local doc and he can give you a shot that will dry it out in 24 hours.

Loki
04-18-2005, 08:21 PM
Naw, all the colors swirling around my head obstructed my view.

And then the walls started breathing and well, heck I just freaked out after that. :thumb:

mom had the good sh*t eh?

Bowser
04-18-2005, 08:43 PM
Ghostof just neg repped me for having poison ivy!

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Mosbonian
04-18-2005, 08:55 PM
Bowser:

When I used to get it real bad a few years back I used something called Rhuli-gel, which I thin has been changed to be carried under the Band-Aid name now.

It worked the best....the itching went away over night and it dried up the patches that were already there.

You can go get some pills from the doc...but I ended up having to take two sets of them the first time I caught Poison Ivy.....the Rhuli-gel worked like a charm the next year when i caught it.

mmaddog

Bowser
04-18-2005, 08:57 PM
Bowser:

When I used to get it real bad a few years back I used something called Rhuli-gel, which I thin has been changed to be carried under the Band-Aid name now.

It worked the best....the itching went away over night and it dried up the patches that were already there.

You can go get some pills from the doc...but I ended up having to take two sets of them the first time I caught Poison Ivy.....the Rhuli-gel worked like a charm the next year when i caught it.

mmaddog

Thanks, I'll see if I can find it anywhere.

NJ Chief Fan
04-18-2005, 08:59 PM
i heard takin a bath in baking soda workds

philfree
04-18-2005, 09:49 PM
That's one of the first thing you learn as a boy growing up in the Ozarks. If you ain't smart enough to stay outta the weeds after March you deserve a rash. :p Hell I learned that at a young age and IMO I'm just a simpleton(sp?) What are you a slow learner or somepin?Yeah i been drinking but it don't mean I not 100% correct.

PhilFree:arrow:
~just sharing the love~

tommykat
04-18-2005, 09:58 PM
My X used to get it bad........put Bleach on it and rub as it itches then use a hairdryer...The Bleach dryes it out and the hairdryer? Makes it like you are itching it...worked for him, unless it his eyes........then nada~

Edubs
04-19-2005, 07:54 AM
How would that help? :rolleyes:

ummmmm.....oh wait that's for a jelly fish sting.

Was kidding. :p