PDA

View Full Version : Interesting quote from SI article on FA....

Fat Homer
12-21-2000, 03:12 PM
I was looking around for the article Pack Idiot quoted about fans and found this...

From an article called: Smart Money

"After eight years of unfettered free agency, NFL teams should have learned two things: 1) The most successful clubs sign a handful of middle- and low-tier free agents to fill various roles; and 2) despite what it may think, a team is never one star free agent, or even two, from a title."

For the most part, this is the formula King Carl has followed...maybe he does know what he's doing...granted, we havn't exactly been knocking on SBs door, but we do have solid players at virtually every position...are we the exception to the rule?...are we just one or two players away from the SB?

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

karob
12-21-2000, 03:37 PM
We are just one or two good coaches away from the SB.

I think the salary cap makes coaching even more important.

BigChiefsFan
12-21-2000, 04:49 PM
When someone (Coogs, I think) posted the "Salary Cap 101" thread, I tried to do a little math (not my strong suit).

We've all ripped on Carl for his decisions. And some of it may be valid. But his job is a helluva lot harder than we think.

Of course, unless you're Packfan. Then you can know/do anything. ;)

MM
~~Still won't call Carl a genius until I see another Lombardi trophy at Arrowhead.

ColoradoChief
12-21-2000, 06:28 PM
One of the best moves he made last year was getting Clemons at a bargain price. When all these other guys like Phillip Daniels and Orpheous Roye were getting overpaid, Carl picked up Clemons for a lot less, with much greater results. Now we need to lock him up long term. I agree with the idea that big name FAs don't make a team, too. Just look at Washington.