PDA

View Full Version : MNF moving to ESPN in 06

ZootedGranny
04-18-2005, 03:10 PM
NEW YORK - The NFL's "Monday Night Football," a staple on ABC for the past 35 seasons, will move to ESPN starting with the 2006 season.

And NBC is returning to the NFL after six years away by taking the Sunday night broadcast previously on ESPN.

The Monday night move from network TV to basic cable, hinted at continually by commissioner Paul Tagliabue, was confirmed Monday by two sources familiar with the deals who spoke to The Associated Press under condition of anonymity. The sources said the league is expected to get $1.1 billion over eight years from the network.

NBC will get the Sunday night package for $600 million over six years, according to the sources. The network will also get the Super Bowl in 2009 and 2012 as part of the deal, one of the sources said.

The moves leave ABC _ which originated "Monday Night Football" in 1970 _ as the only major network without NFL football.

ABC and ESPN are both subsidiaries of the Walt Disney Co. The deal with ESPN, which currently carries games every Sunday night and sometimes on Thursday, was first reported by The Wall Street Journal.

Last month, Tagliabue said during the NFL meetings in Hawaii that the Monday night move was a strong possibility. ABC, which has been losing money on the package despite high ratings, had been balking at the NFL's asking price.

CBS and Fox already have agreed to pay a total of $8 billion over six years for the Sunday AFC and NFC rights.

That has become more pressing since parity caused by the salary cap has resulted in teams moving up and down the standings annually, leaving bad teams that were strong the previous season in prime time and good teams that were bad the past season off of it.

The NFL is still considering separate packages for Thursday and late-season Saturday nights.

tomahawk kid
04-18-2005, 03:13 PM
MNF on cable is gonna piss alot of folks off......

Bwana
04-18-2005, 03:13 PM
Cool, my ABC comes in like hell around here.

Saulbadguy
04-18-2005, 03:15 PM
KTKA TV49 (Topekas ABC affialiate) totally sucks. They aren't even close to getting to digital, or hi-def. They don't have plans for it in the near future, either. I wish this would happen THIS year!

Douche Baggins
I wonder what happens to the Sunday night announcers?

|Zach|
You think? :hmmm:

tomahawk kid
04-18-2005, 03:16 PM

NBC?

Bwana
04-18-2005, 03:16 PM
KTKA TV49 (Topekas ABC affialiate) totally sucks. They aren't even close to getting to digital, or hi-def. They don't have plans for it in the near future, either. I wish this would happen THIS year!

I hear ya. The ABC station around here looks like a snow storm, which really sucks on a 65 inch TV.

seclark
04-18-2005, 03:17 PM
same here...i have no problems w/this.
sec

|Zach|
04-18-2005, 03:18 PM
http://4learning.co.uk/essentials/history/imagebank/tudor/Guillotine-a.gif

Douche Baggins
04-18-2005, 03:20 PM
http://4learning.co.uk/essentials/history/imagebank/tudor/Guillotine-a.gif

I'm not so sure. Madden and Michaels may go to NBC.

ChiefsCountry
04-18-2005, 03:22 PM
Not bad for the NFL. NBC needed to do something, when they lost the NFL they started to suck with sports.

|Zach|
04-18-2005, 03:22 PM
I'm not so sure. Madden and Michaels may go to NBC.
Al will move on....

But for Madden...

http://www.accsoft.com.au/~ross777/Tolstoy/gifs_pics/guillotine.gif

jcroft
04-18-2005, 03:23 PM
Well, I will always have ESPN, so i don't personally care, but it is kind of sad to see a network institution like MNF leave for cable...

DaneMcCloud
Madden & Michaels are both under contract with Disney, ESPN & MNF's parent company. In addition to MNF, Al Michaels broadcast NBA basketball and several other events year round for ABC. I don't think they'll be going anywhere.

Dane

Saulbadguy
Not bad for the NFL. NBC needed to do something, when they lost the NFL they started to suck with sports.
What does NBC have? I honestly could not tell you a single show that is on NBC. Probably because they don't have any sports. CBS and ESPN dominate the sports world. ABC had MNF..and now they will have nothing.

DaneMcCloud
Madden & Michaels are both under contract with Disney, ESPN & ABC's parent company. In addition to MNF, Al Michaels broadcast NBA basketball and several other events year round for ABC. I don't think they'll be going anywhere.

Dane

MOhillbilly
04-18-2005, 03:25 PM
NO more MNF for me.
not about to shell out cash to lower my IQ even more w/ cable.

Cochise
04-18-2005, 03:48 PM
How many people are really out there in 2005 who don't even have basic cable? I don't blame the NFL at all.

chiefqueen
04-18-2005, 03:53 PM
What does NBC have? I honestly could not tell you a single show that is on NBC. Probably because they don't have any sports. CBS and ESPN dominate the sports world. ABC had MNF..and now they will have nothing.

They have the NHL............oh, wait we don't play hockey anymore.:shake::shake:

They also have arena and Notre Dame football.

KChiefs1
04-18-2005, 04:14 PM
NBC still has Bob Costas right? :hmmm: I can't see ESPN losing Mike Patrick either. :shake:

I'm pretty damn happy about the whole thing! The ABC station in this area totally sucks! They went high def for awhile & then something happened to their tower & now there's nothing! At least with ESPN I can get the games in HD! :thumb:

I wish they'd find a way to have football every night of the week though....that's disappointing. :deevee:

Nzoner
04-18-2005, 04:25 PM
Great news,I've been paying extra to keep my C-band active just for ABC since I can't get local channels on my DirecTv and live in an area where cable is not yet availble.

stevieray
04-18-2005, 04:28 PM

And the stranglehold of media power continues.

"There goes the last DJ...."

whoman69
04-18-2005, 05:38 PM
Between cable and satellite ESPN reaches about 85% of homes.

Saulbadguy
04-18-2005, 05:41 PM
How many people are really out there in 2005 who don't even have basic cable? I don't blame the NFL at all.
ESPN isn't included on "basic" cable. Its on "extended", or what not..but I know what you mean. I actually don't know anyone who does not have some sort of premium package, such as extended cable, or satellite.

The only reason I like this move is because our local ABC provider sucks.

Cochise
04-18-2005, 05:51 PM
ESPN isn't included on "basic" cable. Its on "extended", or what not..but I know what you mean. I actually don't know anyone who does not have some sort of premium package, such as extended cable, or satellite.

The only reason I like this move is because our local ABC provider sucks.

Alright captain pedantic, how many people don't have ESPN :D

You can hardly be a sports fan without a cable tier including ESPN. If I just had antenna TV, I'd get to see the Chiefs and that's it. No (or very little) Royals, probably no MU football or basketball, not much of anything.

Simplex3
04-18-2005, 05:52 PM
NBC still has Bob Costas right? :hmmm: I can't see ESPN losing Mike Patrick either. :shake:

I'm pretty damn happy about the whole thing! The ABC station in this area totally sucks! They went high def for awhile & then something happened to their tower & now there's nothing! At least with ESPN I can get the games in HD! :thumb:

I wish they'd find a way to have football every night of the week though....that's disappointing. :deevee:
Hell no. That's one of the problems with the rest of the sports, you never know when to turn on the TV. Football should be played on Sundays, one offset to Monday night is Ok.

Thig Lyfe
04-18-2005, 06:30 PM
Isn't it obvious? They're doing this to match up with the new ESPN presentation they're going to use in Madden 07.

keg in kc
04-18-2005, 06:32 PM
People told me I was nuts about a month ago when I said MNF was going to ESPN.

Didn't see the NBC thing coming though.

el borracho
04-18-2005, 08:48 PM
Alright captain pedantic, how many people don't have ESPN :D
I don't have ESPN and I don't plan on paying for cable services just to get Monday Night Football. I guess I will have to go a bar or make a friend. Most likely I just won't bother watching unless the Chiefs are playing.

redbrian
04-18-2005, 09:09 PM
MNF time has come and gone, I would love to see an end to this.
The games are over hyped, and go on way to late into the night.

The NFL should play on Sunday's

Universities play on Saturday

High Schools play on Friday

And while I'm at it let's get rid of this stupid day light savings.

Dick Bull
04-19-2005, 12:00 AM
Isn't it obvious? They're doing this to match up with the new ESPN presentation they're going to use in Madden 07.

ROFL

alanm
04-19-2005, 12:07 AM
Notre Dame football.

PastorMikH
04-19-2005, 12:11 AM
This oughta help ESPN in their push to be a premium subscription channel like HBO and the others.

BCD
04-19-2005, 03:09 AM
KTKA TV49 (Topekas ABC affialiate) totally sucks. They aren't even close to getting to digital, or hi-def. They don't have plans for it in the near future, either. Really? I thought I heard somewhere that the FCC mandated everyone to broadcast in Hi-Def Jan. 06?
:shrug:

BCD
04-19-2005, 03:12 AM
What does NBC have? I honestly could not tell you a single show that is on NBC. .ER, My favorite show. Thats all I guess...

BCD
04-19-2005, 03:15 AM
I have Directv, so I really don't give a shit...

Saulbadguy
04-19-2005, 05:47 AM
Notre Dame football.
Who watches that shit?

Ari Chi3fs
04-19-2005, 05:53 AM
http://writingcompany.blogs.com/this_isnt_writing_its_typ/images/guillotine.jpg

off with Zachs head with all the guillotine jokes.