PDA

View Full Version : Monday Night Football to ESPN in 2006!

Saulbadguy
04-18-2005, 03:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2040130

Monday Night Football is coming to ESPN in 2006.

Sunday Night Football is moving to NBC that same year.

And ABC, after 36 seasons, will no longer carry NFL games.

ESPN, NBC and the NFL announced the changes Monday afternoon. ESPN and the league reached an eight-year deal for moving MNF, while NBC and the NFL reached a six-year deal.

Starting with the 2006 season, ABC will not televise NFL games as part of these new agreements.

Monday Night Football first aired on Sept. 21, 1970, with the New York Jets visiting Cleveland. It has been a network institution ever since. The highest-rated game was a 29.6, with a 46 share, for a 1985 game between then-unbeaten Chicago and Miami. The Dolphins won, ending Chicago's hopes of a perfect season.

It is the second-longest running prime time network series, trailing 60 Minutes on CBS by two years.

Al Michaels has been the play-by-play voice of Monday Night Football since 1986. Frank Gifford held the job from 1971 through 1985. Keith Jackson called the first season's games.

Among the analysts were Don Meredith, Alex Karras, Fred (The Hammer) Williamson, Frank Tarkenton, O.J. Simpson, Dan Dierdorf, Boomer Esiason, Dan Fouts, Dennis Miller and Howard Cosell.

Current analyst John Madden joined Michaels for the 2002 season.

DaKCMan AP
04-18-2005, 03:13 PM
Please don't let the Theisman crew take over MNF.

Mile High Mania
04-18-2005, 03:14 PM
This will be very odd...

Mile High Mania
04-18-2005, 03:16 PM

Oh my gawd... surely this will not happen. And, how will the fact that this is now going to be on cable "help" the ratings?

Beatlemanu
04-18-2005, 03:17 PM
Thats sad...

penguinz
04-18-2005, 03:18 PM
This totally sucks. I do not have cable or satellite tv. :cry:

Uncle_Ted
04-18-2005, 04:33 PM
That's great ... now NBC can crap-e-tize the hell out of the NFL. :shake:

NBC sports sentimentalizes the hell out of everything.

oaklandhater
04-18-2005, 04:37 PM

if they get rid of Al Michaels it will be the stupides move in sports broadcasting!!!!!!!

cdcox
04-18-2005, 04:38 PM
The NFL was stupid for letting this happen. MNF was the crown jewel of the NFL. Having a prime time game on (free) network TV was one of the keys to its popularity. It was the one regular-season game that most fans would see during the week and provided a shared history of games for fans to coverse about. You don't see polls for the best CBS-televised game ever, because the viewership was lower on Sunday and some fraction of the country was usually watching something else. No other sport had anything like it. It will never have anywhere near the same clout on ESPN. Unbelievably stupid. Monumentally stupid.

stevieray
04-18-2005, 04:46 PM
The NFL was stupid for letting this happen. MNF was the crown jewel of the NFL. Having a prime time game on (free) network TV was one of the keys to its popularity. It was the one regular-season game that most fans would see during the week and provided a shared history of games for fans to coverse about. You don't see polls for the best CBS-televised game ever, because the viewership was lower on Sunday and some fraction of the country was usually watching something else. No other sport had anything like it. It will never have anywhere near the same clout on ESPN. Unbelievably stupid. Monumentally stupid.

I totally agree. I think Tags has sold out what Rozelle created. Has been for years.

ESPN's quality has deteriorated, IMO.

Spicy McHaggis
04-18-2005, 04:49 PM
I thought this was more of ABC not wanting to pay up than ESPN stealing MNF.

Miles
04-18-2005, 04:55 PM
ESPN had better not produce the MNF games like the do the Sunday games. One game a week where the game itself is almost ignored while the announcers wont shut up about whatever particular players they are hyping. Though a lot of that is due to them having the shittiest announcing crew I have ever heard on the Sunday games.

stevieray
04-18-2005, 04:57 PM
I thought this was more of ABC not wanting to pay up than ESPN stealing MNF.

consumers pay up, why does the NFL pay day have to keep getting higher every year?

Redcoats58
04-18-2005, 04:58 PM
if they get rid of Al Michaels it will be the stupides move in sports broadcasting!!!!!!!
I agree. He's the best in the buisness IMO.

Logical
04-18-2005, 05:02 PM
consumers pay up, why does the NFL pay day have to keep getting higher every year?

You only pay if you buy what is advertised otherwise the broadcasts are free to the consumer. I guess I am missing it Stevie.

cdcox
04-18-2005, 05:23 PM
Tagliabu: "What is a brand?"

ABC CEO Brian Condon: "I have no idea".

This is New Coke stupid.

Calcountry
04-18-2005, 05:35 PM
Surely, MNF has opening monologues of Howard Cosell in their vaults. I propose, they CGI him and "bring him back" to open MNF.

Saulbadguy
04-18-2005, 05:43 PM
Can we get a mod to merge the 2 threads about this?