PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever switched positions on a major social or political issue?

Rain Man
04-18-2005, 06:38 PM
Have you gone from pro-death penalty to anti-, or vice versa?

Pro-choice to pro-life, or vice versa?

Repubiican to democrat, or vice versa?

Pro-drug legalization to anti-legalization, or vice versa?

Pro gay marriage to anti-gay marriage, or vice versa?

You can pick any of a number of other major issues to think about as well. I'm just wondering how often someone switches teams on major issues.

Mr. Laz
04-18-2005, 06:42 PM
i was a republican until i grew up and realized was complete lying assplugs they were.

Rain Man
04-18-2005, 06:44 PM
In the past couple of years, I've actually gone from pro-death penalty to anti-death penalty. This move surprises me.

Mr. Laz
04-18-2005, 06:48 PM
In the past couple of years, I've actually gone from pro-death penalty to anti-death penalty. This move surprises me.

i would think has you get older and your priorities and perspective changes you would migrate on several key issues.

Phobia
04-18-2005, 06:49 PM
i would think has you get older and your priorities and perspective changes you would migrate on several key issues.

I don't think the last couple of days made a big difference.... he was already old.

Phobia
04-18-2005, 06:50 PM
i was a republican until i grew up and realized was complete lying assplugs they were.

In a couple years, you'll grow up even more and realize they're ALL complete lying assplugs.

cdcox
04-18-2005, 06:52 PM
I went from pro-choice to pro-life.

I went from tax and spend to feeling somewhat guilty for working for the state (as a University Prof).

I used to think it was the government's responsibility for people to have jobs.

I used to be in favor of government provided universal health care.

I voted for Cater, Mondale, Dukakis, Clinton twice, and now Bush twice. I now consider myself a conservative independent.

I've always been right-to-work, anti-gun control, no prayers in public school, anti-drug legalization, and anti-gay marriage.

Mr. Laz
04-18-2005, 06:55 PM
In a couple years, you'll grow up even more and realize they're ALL complete lying assplugs.
pretty much there already... :)

i guess i should of been more complete in my response and said "i was a republican until i grew up and realized was complete lying assplugs politicians are."

Amnorix
04-18-2005, 06:57 PM

And I have done the opposite. :) That's really the only major change I can think of.

Back when I was a kid (early teens) I was a Reagan/Republican fan. By the time I was eligible to vote I was a pretty solid Democrat, however. That doesn't really "count" as a change to me for these purposes, however.

Michael Michigan
04-18-2005, 07:00 PM
Wasn't it Winston Churchill that said...

"If you're not liberal when you're young, you have no heart.

And if you're not conservative when you're old, you have no brain."

JohnnyV13
04-18-2005, 07:01 PM
I used to insist on being on top, until a nice young lady showed me you could have just as much fun on the bottom.

Pitt Gorilla
04-18-2005, 07:14 PM
Conservative to moderate,
Pro-death to much-less-pro-death,
anti-abortion to anti with special considerations
anti-gay marriage to not caring.

wow, I'm really uninteresting.

Skip Towne
04-18-2005, 07:27 PM
Wasn't it Winston Churchill that said...

"If you're not liberal when you're young, you have no heart.

And if you're not conservative when you're old, you have no brain."
Churchill said lots of good shit. My favorite is when a lady said "Winston, you are drunk". He said "Yes, but you are ugly and tomorrow I will be sober".

chiefs4me
04-18-2005, 08:45 PM
Yes, No,Yes Maybe....wait..what was the question?ROFL

Uncle_Ted
04-18-2005, 09:55 PM
Churchill said lots of good shit. My favorite is when a lady said "Winston, you are drunk". He said "Yes, but you are ugly and tomorrow I will be sober".

My favorite:

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink." --Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it." --Churchill's reply

philfree
04-18-2005, 10:00 PM
Who's issues? I decide my own thank you so I have no need to change my stance's because I convinced that I'm in a whole different galaxy in inregards to such matters. Just exactly what are the Social/Political issues you speak of?

PhilFree:arrow:

Frazod
04-18-2005, 10:33 PM
I haven't so much changed my mind on the things as I have realized that the party I always supported in the past has abandoned far too many of my personal beliefs to rate my continued support.

ROYC75
04-19-2005, 07:46 AM
I heard that John Kerry does !

siberian khatru
04-19-2005, 07:51 AM
20 years ago I was libertarian pro-choice on abortion. I am now pro-life.

Up until the last few years, I was staunchly pro-death penalty. I have now almost made the complete journey to anti-death penalty. I could still be persuaded to use it in rare circumstances where there's a confession to a particularly heinous crime. Otherwise, I have become uncomfortable having juries decide disputed life-and-death issues.

In the 80s I was for mandatory sentencing. I am now strongly against it. I used to support the war on drugs, 20 years ago, but have for some time realized it has been a huge failure.

Bob Dole
04-19-2005, 07:55 AM
I haven't so much changed my mind on the things as I have realized that the party I always supported in the past has abandoned far too many of my personal beliefs to rate my continued support.

The Falangists <i>have</i> gotten a little "out there."

Kyle401
04-19-2005, 07:58 AM
Eh, I'm close-minded and stubborn. I won't change positions even when I'm wrong, just to spite the other side. :)

Braincase
04-19-2005, 08:29 AM
20 years ago I was libertarian pro-choice on abortion. I am now pro-life.

Up until the last few years, I was staunchly pro-death penalty. I have now almost made the complete journey to anti-death penalty. I could still be persuaded to use it in rare circumstances where there's a confession to a particularly heinous crime. Otherwise, I have become uncomfortable having juries decide disputed life-and-death issues.

In the 80s I was for mandatory sentencing. I am now strongly against it. I used to support the war on drugs, 20 years ago, but have for some time realized it has been a huge failure.

Damn. I'm in complete agreement about where I was and where I am.

I knew I liked you.