PDA

View Full Version : Advice From the Planet #1,458

CosmicPal
04-18-2005, 09:40 PM
Here's the situation:

I come home from work and my roommate tells me the living room chair, which belongs to his girlfriend, was chewed up. I apologized, but there is no telling who's dog did it. He has a 5 mo old Australian Shepherd, and I have a 13 mo old Australian Cattle dog. He thinks it was my dog that did it and wants me to pay for it. I'm telling him to go to hell.

That's the story. I don't think I have to pay for his chair since he can't prove which dog bit into it.

But, let's take this a step further- this is why I'm being the azzhole about this and just simply apologizing, but refusing to pay.

1. My dog went through obedience training- his dog hasn't
2. My dog was housebroken in a couple of days and his dog isn't.
3. I walk both dogs every morning before I go to the office, and I walk them when I return. He never walks either dog.
4. All of the dog toys in the house are because I've gone to the store on a million trips and bought them. His dog has absolutely no toys, and instead shares my dog's toys.
5. I buy most of the dog food in the house that his dog ends up eating and he's only bought one bag.
6. Each week, I personally bake homemade dog bisquits for both dogs.
7. Every night I spend an hour playing with the dogs in the backyard: throwing the frisbee and the, oh you'll just love this: the jolly ball.

You see where this is going? You see why I shrug off the fact his living room chair was chewed upon while we were gone?

He says he can sue me for the chair, and I told him to go ahead and try 'cause based on everything I just mentioned above, I'm sure the judge will favor me.

Just another reason why I'm buying a fuggen house in the next month or two. Roommates suck. Thanks for giving me this opportunity to express my disgust. I now return you to your regularly scheduled topic.

Iowanian
04-18-2005, 09:42 PM
A pup is FAR more likely to chew something up than a year old dog thats been trained.

I'd tell him to fist himself OR be the good guy and offer(1 time only) to split the cost of repair.

Is the Chair Ruined? Was in New?

In college........we had 2 pairs of Boxing gloves in our living room for situations with LESS than this. Strap em on, loser pays.

milkman
04-18-2005, 09:43 PM
Where's Planet #1458, and will that be where you buy the house? :)

Simplex3
04-18-2005, 09:43 PM
Tell him to f**k off. He doesn't own the chair, what is *he* going to sue you for?

As for his girlfriend suing you, she left her shit at your house knowing there were two dogs. Sounds like she assumed the risk to me. Tell him to go piss up a rope.

Joe Seahawk
04-18-2005, 09:44 PM
Wappner here we come!

:)

Hire a forensic dude to pull some dna off the couch..

keg in kc
04-18-2005, 09:44 PM
Yeah, assuming yours doesn't have a pattern of doing this, the pup is definitely more likely. I had a german shepherd that ate furniture, she started it in the 5 to 6 month range. She was like a woodchipper, it was amazing. Separation anxiety it was, in her case. We ended up having to start caging her whenever we left the house.

Iowanian
04-18-2005, 09:45 PM
The more I think about it..........If he threatened to sue you............Kick his ass. Take a dump in his pillow case. Hump the debt off his broad.

CosmicPal
04-18-2005, 09:46 PM
Is the Chair Ruined? Was in New?

No. It's not ruined. I did leave out the fact that his girlfriend left her glasses on the living room table a couple of months ago and one of the dogs got to it, and chewed it up.

He blamed my dog on that one too. I simply told him he knew damn well we have dogs in the house and that it's his responsibility as a dog owner to make certain anything valuable is not within reach of the dogs.

I constantly, and I'm not shitting you here- I am every single morning having to take things off the tables and elevate them. He simply leaves shit lying around all the time, and I'm pissed about this BS.

Joe Seahawk
The guy sounds extremely unreasonable, threatening to sue you.. .i'd just laugh at that..

Don't let it wreck your friendship though..

Phobia
There's a Chiefs fan from Arizona who would just bury the chair in his back yard and pretend it ran away.

tommykat
04-18-2005, 09:47 PM
Yeah, assuming yours doesn't have a pattern of doing this, the pup is definitely more likely. I had a german shepherd that ate furniture, she started it in the 5 to 6 month range. She was like a woodchipper, it was amazing. Separation anxiety it was, in her case. We ended up having to start caging her whenever we left the house.

At that age they are teething.........chew chew chew.......pups love ice cubes at that age as well as toys...

Iowanian
04-18-2005, 09:47 PM
Joe's right........Don't wreck your friendship....

Wreck his Beak and an eyelid or two.

milkman
04-18-2005, 09:48 PM
Have you ever thought about a doggy cam?

keg in kc
04-18-2005, 09:48 PM
At that age they are teething.........chew chew chew.......pups love ice cubes at that age as well as toys...She may have been teething when it started, but she never stopped. Kept eating furniture clear through to the divorce, another couple of years.

Simplex3
04-18-2005, 09:49 PM
The guy sounds extremely unreasonable, threatening to sue you.. .i'd just laugh at that..

How many morons does one guy need as friends? I'd like to stay as close to zero as humanly possible myself.

This guy sounds like an irresponsible tool. If it wasn't this it would probably be something else.

Phobia
04-18-2005, 09:49 PM

Too late. I'd wreck it really well now. You should chew up his most expensive shoes - like with human bit marks and everything. Tell him you saw his girlfriend doing it.

Iowanian
04-18-2005, 09:50 PM
Shoot both of the dogs and call a truce.

CosmicPal
Have you ever thought about a doggy cam?

ROFL

Actually, I have.

The thing is, I'll be getting into my own home here hopefully in the next couple of months, so I'm not interested in spending money on stuff like that...just booze, women, and dog toys.

Phobia
I can't believe you took the focus off a perfectly good tommykat topic.

tommykat
She may have been teething when it started, but she never stopped. Kept eating furniture clear through to the divorce, another couple of years.

OOPS, it happens and most think that putting them in a crate is harsh, but it does work. I just don't like it for me.......doggie door and 2 puppies work the best...;)

Simplex3
04-18-2005, 09:51 PM
Or just leave antifreeze in the water dish. Say it was an accident, you were flushing your radiator and forgot to empty it when you put it back in the kitchen.

tommykat
04-18-2005, 09:51 PM
I can't believe you took the focus off a perfectly good tommykat topic.

OK.....so delete my answers.........sheesh sorry......Or not~

Phobia
04-18-2005, 09:53 PM
OK.....so delete my answers.........sheesh sorry......Or not~

Why the **** would I delete your answers when I was giving shit to CosmicPal? I don't expect you to comprehend what this post says either, but English as a first language isn't working well for you.

milkman
04-18-2005, 09:59 PM
ROFL

Actually, I have.

The thing is, I'll be getting into my own home here hopefully in the next couple of months, so I'm not interested in spending money on stuff like that...just booze, women, and dog toys.

I hope the dog toys are for the dog, and not the women you're interested in. :eek: :D

UTChief
04-18-2005, 10:00 PM
I agree with you their is no reason to suspect your dog and not his own unless wile you are home at times you have had to scold your dog for chewing on the chair. have you caut eather dog chewing things other than the normal shoe or small items that all puppys chew and if it was so inportaint that things didn't get destroyed both dogs should of gotten locked in the bathroom or in a small kennel (pet porter) in the room wile you were out. From my trials and errors it usualy takes about a year for a pup to be trustworthy to be left alone, this leeds me to susspect the other dog that is verry young at 5 mounts he vill be into every thing and that is normal for it's age.

Frazod
04-18-2005, 10:01 PM
Roommates suck.
Bingo. What an asshole. Sounds like he's pussy-whipped and paints you (and your dog) as the heavy to keep his GF off his ass. Now he's actually hitting you with it. Tell him to eat a dick and die.

And start looking to move.

And screw being friends with this jagoff. He sounds like a useless piece of shit.

Probably a f#cking Broncos fan too. :grr:

Joe Seahawk
04-18-2005, 10:01 PM
I hope the dog toys are for the dog, and not the women you're interested in. :eek: :D

Why, there's nothing better than a couple hot chicks and some good dog toys.. :thumb:

CosmicPal
04-18-2005, 10:07 PM
Probably a f#cking Broncos fan too. :grr:

Actually, he's a Skins fan from the east coast.

CosmicPal
04-18-2005, 10:10 PM
I agree with you their is no reason to suspect your dog and not his own

Well, there is...my dog is hyper. His dog isn't hyper. But, we have no idea how his dog behaves when nobody is around. I've obedienced my dog, but my dog's hyperactivity pegs him as the criminal.

But, I agree with Frazod- he's pinning it on me 'cause he doesn't want to take full responsibility of his girlfriend's stuff.

keg in kc
04-18-2005, 10:11 PM
Actually, he's a Skins fan from the east coast.F*ck him then. I hate skins fans. I hate skins fans so much that I rooted for the cowboys until I moved here. Not because I actually liked the cowboys, mind you, just because I hated skins fans. They're a bunch of f*cking douchebags.

angel
04-18-2005, 10:12 PM
I want a dog...

Frazod
04-18-2005, 10:13 PM
I want a dog...

Do you have any tasty living room furniture?

CosmicPal
04-18-2005, 10:13 PM
F*ck him then. I hate skins fans. I hate skins fans so much that I rooted for the cowboys until I moved here. Not because I actually liked the cowboys, mind you, just because I hated skins fans. They're a bunch of f*cking douchebags.

Damn...I'm glad you had a chance to speak your mind.

:D

angel
04-18-2005, 10:15 PM
Do you have any tasty living room furniture?
only my roommate's nice leather numbers

Frazod
04-18-2005, 10:17 PM

Cool. Pour some milkbones on top for maximum effect. :D

CosmicPal
04-18-2005, 10:17 PM

Oh nice. If you don't get one that chews, be sure to get one that slobbers a lot. Nothing better than coming home to a wet leather couch.

chiefs4me
04-18-2005, 10:18 PM

:harumph:

Frazod
04-18-2005, 10:18 PM
Well, there is...my dog is hyper. His dog isn't hyper. But, we have no idea how his dog behaves when nobody is around. I've obedienced my dog, but my dog's hyperactivity pegs him as the criminal.

But, I agree with Frazod- he's pinning it on me 'cause he doesn't want to take full responsibility of his girlfriend's stuff.

BTW, just out of curiousity - is his GF dumb enough to buy into this shit?

And why is her shit there in the first place? If I had furniture I valued, the last place it leave it would be in an apartment with two puppies. Duh.

Skip Towne
04-18-2005, 10:20 PM
There's a Chiefs fan from Arizona who would just bury the chair in his back yard and pretend it ran away.
I know one that would take the chair out in the street and run over it with his pickup.

keg in kc
04-18-2005, 10:21 PM
Nothing better than coming home to a wet leather couch.Insert obligatory couch sex comment here.

badgirl
04-18-2005, 10:24 PM
He does sound like a dick, I'd go ahead as stated in another post and offer to pay half, since you not completely certain which dog did it, they probably won't fix the chair anyway.

I hate roommates I only had one for about 2 mos, it almost ruined our friendship, I swore I'd never do it again.

trndobrd
04-18-2005, 10:43 PM
Find a place for your dog to stay for a few days. Or get a cage for him, if you don't have a buddy that can dogsit for a few days. Next time something gets all chewed up, you'll know it was his dog.

You can tip the scales by pouring steak juice all over your roommates favorite pair of shoes. MMMmm!

CosmicPal
04-18-2005, 10:51 PM
He does sound like a dick, I'd go ahead as stated in another post and offer to pay half, since you not completely certain which dog did it, they probably won't fix the chair anyway.

That would be the right thing to do, but as I stated in the original post- I feel like I'm the only one being responsible with the dogs. He's understandably pissed 'cause the chair belongs to his girlfriend, but I don't feel like I'm justified in having to pay since I spend so much time and money keeping the dogs, both dogs, happy. Besides, WTF is she going to get for this chair if she were to sell it anyways, $20.00???

This is just pure stupidity.

All I really want to know is- as a dog owner, am I responsible for my dog chewing other people's stuff when I'm gone? Can someone literally take me to court should my dog for instance chews up their electronics or something? He's saying the dog owners are responsible- and I'm saying BS. Is he right?

badgirl
04-18-2005, 10:53 PM
That would be the right thing to do, but as I stated in the original post- I feel like I'm the only one being responsible with the dogs. He's understandably pissed 'cause the chair belongs to his girlfriend, but I don't feel like I'm justified in having to pay since I spend so much time and money keeping the dogs, both dogs, happy. Besides, WTF is she going to get for this chair if she were to sell it anyways, $20.00???

This is just pure stupidity.

All I really want to know is- as a dog owner, am I responsible for my dog chewing other people's stuff when I'm gone? Can someone literally take me to court should my dog for instance chews up their electronics or something? He's saying the dog owners are responsible- and I'm saying BS. Is he right?
I would say it would be hard for them to win in court since they also have a dog and there is no proof which one did it, I can understand your hesistation on paying for it I don't blame you, I'd only agree to keep down the static around the house since you have to live with them, just try to hang on till you get the hell out of there, I see your point on not wanting to pay, very much so.

Iowanian
04-18-2005, 10:54 PM
If your dog did it.......you should be responsible. It doesn't sound like he can prove anything.

A well trained dog won't touch anything. I'm going to prove it tonight. I'm placing a dog biscuit in the middle of my living room before I go to bed and telling my dog to leave it.

If its not there in the morning....I'm kicking him to the moon, placing another, and guarantee it will be there at noon.

keg in kc
04-18-2005, 10:59 PM
If he can't prove it's your dog, it's not your responsibility. Period. Not to mention the fact that your dog is the one that's been trained. Let him take you to court, if that's what he wants. Just pull out a receipt of the class and then ask him to produce one for his wild, untrained beast. See what happens.

Miles
04-18-2005, 11:07 PM

I would figure that dog owners are responsible for the damage they casuse. I guess he could take you to small claims court but its just a chair (which isnt even his) and it sounds like there is no way in hell he could prove it was your dog over his.

Two big things that make him sound like he is being a dick is that he didnt even first suggest that you split the cost. And the second is that you buy allmost all the dog food. That shit gets expensive over time.

Logical
04-18-2005, 11:18 PM
Shoot both of the dogs and call a truce.You can have more fun burying them up to their necks and utilizing your lawnmower to maximum effect.

Vlad
Cats - Dogs :shrug:

wilas101
04-19-2005, 07:09 AM
Since it sounds like you spend more time with his dog than he does maybe you should teach it some amazing "tricks" before you buy a house and move out.

Why, I remember not so long ago when I taught my cats to shit in my neighbors horseshoe and volleyball pits...........

Skip Towne
04-19-2005, 07:53 AM
Did you check to see which dog had furniture on it's breath?

chiefs4me
04-19-2005, 08:04 AM
If your dog did it.......you should be responsible. It doesn't sound like he can prove anything.

A well trained dog won't touch anything. I'm going to prove it tonight. I'm placing a dog biscuit in the middle of my living room before I go to bed and telling my dog to leave it.

If its not there in the morning....I'm kicking him to the moon, placing another, and guarantee it will be there at noon.

But what if he gets hungry in the middle of the night, he can't have the bone? What if it's gone and he didn't eat it? Then what, big ole killer is gonna kick his dog across the room over a dog bone. What would you do to your child if he stole a cookie out of the cookie jar....flog him.:rolleyes:

chiefs4me
04-19-2005, 08:05 AM
Since it sounds like you spend more time with his dog than he does maybe you should teach it some amazing "tricks" before you buy a house and move out.

Why, I remember not so long ago when I taught my cats to shit in my neighbors horseshoe and volleyball pits...........

ROFL

Phobia
04-19-2005, 08:17 AM

Your dog and my dog must be the only ones able to do this trick because every dog owner I've shown that to is amazed.

Frankly, it was the easiest trick to teach him.

Amnorix
04-19-2005, 08:17 AM
Reminds me of when I was at a buddy's house with a dog there and somone left half of a steak and cheese sub on a low coffee table. Came back and saw it was dogfood and went nuts.

:shake:

When you left MEAT at dog level and walk away, WTF do you think is going to happen?

Edit: Noting some posts I hadn't read, the dog in question was definitely not trained to not touch anything he wasn't allowed took, like a steak and cheese... ROFL

Cntrygal
04-19-2005, 08:22 AM
Cosmic, I wouldn't give your roommate any money. For MANY of the reasons already posted... so I'm not going to repeat them. BUT, I do have to say, that not all puppies go crazy chewing everything in sight. I have a black lab/chow and was told horror stories about them chewing everything. I'm happy to report, she's NEVER chewed anything up that didn't belong to her and she's 8 now. When she started teething, I bought her several solid wooden rolling pins. She's always been very well behaved (except when she thought she was going to go race some deer). But like you, many hours (and money) have been invested into her.

Cntrygal
04-19-2005, 08:26 AM
Your dog and my dog must be the only ones able to do this trick because every dog owner I've shown that to is amazed.

Frankly, it was the easiest trick to teach him.

Mine won't eat the treat in the house. You can hand it to her and she goes straight to the back door.... LOL, with a treat she can swallow in two bites.

Predarat
04-19-2005, 08:29 AM
At first I was for paying for half of it but after reading more I wouldnt pay shit. You would think after the glasses his GF would have learned her lesson. If shes do-able I like the idea of screwing her and letting him know you did. After that any problems about the dog/chair wont matter.

Cntrygal
04-19-2005, 08:45 AM
At first I was for paying for half of it but after reading more I wouldnt pay shit. You would think after the glasses his GF would have learned her lesson. If shes do-able I like the idea of screwing her and letting him know you did. After that any problems about the dog/chair wont matter.

He could screw her in the chair and tell the boyfriend - or offer pics.

Dartgod
04-19-2005, 09:07 AM

I nominate this post for a Peterson Award in the Best Played Cross Thread Humor by a Planet Newbie category.

Biohazard
04-19-2005, 09:07 AM
I say:
1. screw her in the chair(take pics)
2. take the dogs outside
3. burn down the house w/ p.o.s chair inside
4. call him and tell him about the fire, and that his dog is in the yard(with pics on his collar of course)
"These steps will help in alot of ways"
1.the chair is gone no more prob. there
2.the house is gone, so you dont have to wait months to find a new one.
3. the pics, (oh the pics) now you dont have to worry about him wanting to move in with you ever, ever again. SEE ALL PROBLEMS SOLVED, HA.........

Oh I almost forgot somthing besure some of the pics have his dog with a lighter in his mouth.............that will get him ;)

Iowanian
04-19-2005, 09:12 AM
But what if he gets hungry in the middle of the night, he can't have the bone? What if it's gone and he didn't eat it? Then what, big ole killer is gonna kick his dog across the room over a dog bone. What would you do to your child if he stole a cookie out of the cookie jar....flog him.:rolleyes:

Apparently my Dog has more brain function, and ability to follow simple directions than you do. the milkbone was still where I placed it.

you see....he's the dog, and I'm the Owner. I've established myself as the Alfa male in our Pack. He knows if he does what I tell him, it pleases me and I praise him, play with him, take him to run in the woods, and allow him a treat. He knows if he displeases me, it means unpleasant things. He's a problem solver, and intelligent enough.

He was fed at the usual time, so Hunger is no excuse. He does what he is told if he wants to have a good day. that simple. If the bone was gone, he ate it and knew better. But he didn't. Good Dog [/pat head]

I have a friend who had a Rott, he could tell to sit, leave a piece of steak between his eyes(the dog) and the dog wouldn't budge until he said "OK"....

My dog is less than 2 years old, and will not TOUCH anything not in his basket. If I throw a tennis ball, and it goes behind a plant or shelf, he sits until I go get it.

Maybe I should get your hubby a list of my training techniques. Children also benefit from a solid risk-reward system, including spanking.

Brock
04-19-2005, 09:15 AM
I don't understand your roommate's logic.

Iowanian
04-20-2005, 08:10 AM
So did you break the Chair over your roomate's head, hippy?