PDA

View Full Version : Font Question for Graphic Designers?

NewChief
04-19-2005, 04:48 AM
Computer is a mac:

I loaded up a ton of fonts onto my wife's computer off of a CD (like 1,000). Do you customarily load the fonts onto the actual computer, or do you leave them on the CD, then pull them off when you need them?

Photoshop, when it loads, isn't picking up all the fonts that are now located in the font book. It seems to just scan down then stop with the Cs.

I'm thinking I probably should have left the fonts on a CD instead of installing them. The only problem with that is that they weren't easily browsable and previewable on the CD, so I'm not even sure we'd use them that much.

Otter
04-19-2005, 07:09 AM
Photoshop under windows does not pull its fonts from the same folder as say Word and Outlook. In Windows they are located in:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts

and need to be installed there before Photoshop will recognize them. Finding the fonts folder inside the Photoshop Folder, install or copy/paste them there and I'll be it will solve the problem.

NewChief
04-19-2005, 07:18 AM
Photoshop under windows does not pull its fonts from the same folder as say Word and Outlook. In Windows they are located in:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts

and need to be installed there before Photoshop will recognize them. Finding the fonts folder inside the Photoshop Folder, install or copy/paste them there and I'll be it will solve the problem.

Maybe that's the problem. I'll take a look at it when I get home.

I guess as a more general question: Has anyone noticed any decrease in performance on their machine, either PC or Mac, with large amounts of fonts installed? Is it a bad idea to install thousands of fonts onto a machine, or is it pretty standard practice?

penguinz
04-19-2005, 07:54 AM
Yes. Fonts will slow your computer down dramtically. Get yourself copy of either Font Reserver or Suitcase to manage your fonts. You can get the HERE (http://www.extensis.com/en/products/font_management.jsp;jsessionid=W23C3OTPCBEJRLAQAAUARSQ).

NewChief
04-19-2005, 08:03 AM
Yes. Fonts will slow your computer down dramtically. Get yourself copy of either Font Reserver or Suitcase to manage your fonts. You can get the HERE (http://www.extensis.com/en/products/font_management.jsp;jsessionid=W23C3OTPCBEJRLAQAAUARSQ).

Cool thanks. Now I need to go delete all those fonts I added, heh.

KCWolfman
04-23-2005, 08:14 PM
If you don't install the fonts, you won't see them when you run the project without the CD.

More importantly, if the product is going out to other people, they likely won't see an unusual font themselves as they won't have access to the CD.

AZORChiefFan
04-24-2005, 03:51 PM
Best thing on a mac is to make a separate folder labeled fonts and put all your fonts in that folder. Use Fontbook to organize and activate the fonts you need. Make a couple libraries for commonly used fonts and only activate fonts for specific jobs as needed. Font book is good but suitcase is a better font management tool.

The more fonts you have activated the slower the computer will run.

AZORChiefFan
04-24-2005, 04:00 PM
May also check the Mac Help it has instructions on installing fonts into Font Book

NewChief
04-24-2005, 04:23 PM
AZChief: Thanks, that's probably what I'll do until I invest in Font Suitcase.

Russ:
I'm aware of that font issue. The type of work I'm talking about the fonts won't have to port over. They'll be saved as a vector graphic (I think) in the image, though there are some parts of the image that need to be editable by the client, so the font will need to port over in those cases.

I'm going to have to get my wife signed up onto the Planet. I've tried to tell her that this will be an awesome resource for getting advice as she starts running her home office.

NewChief
10-06-2005, 11:51 AM
Any OSX users looking for a good, free font management program:

http://www.linotype.com/fontexplorerX

Interface is like iTunes. Pretty sweet.