Can't wait hope it's an american.

ENDelt260
04-19-2005, 10:37 AM
http://hp.msn.com/1D/YP%60-C5%5D8R~4X4D~U4I5%60DP.jpg

Plume of white smoke bells signal decision

BREAKING NEWS
MSNBC News Services
Updated: 12:20 p.m. ET April 19, 2005

VATICAN CITY - Bells ringing from the Vatican confirmed Tuesday that cardinals had reached a decision for a successor to Pope John Paul II. A name had yet to be announced but was expected shortly.

Crowds in St. Peter's Square chanted: “Viva il Papa!” or “Long live the pope!”

The new pope was to appear later on the main balcony of the basilica to deliver his first public address.

The conclave lasted for two days, and no conclave in the past century had lasted more than five days. The election that made John Paul II pope in October 1978 took eight ballots over three days.

“It’s very powerful to be in the place where St. Peter was martyred and to pray to the Lord for a worthy successor,” said Brother Mateo Lethimonier, 30, a monk from Argentina in a light blue robe and sandals who was among those on the square before the decision was announced.

He said he was praying for the cardinals to find “the one who loves Jesus most, the one who represents the church best.”

Monday smoke
On Monday evening, black smoke that initially looked light enough to throw even Vatican Radio analysts off-guard poured from the chimney, disappointing a crowd of 40,000 pilgrims anxious for a sign that the cardinals had settled on a successor. That first puff followed the conclave’s initial vote.

“We thought it was white. Then it went black. I had a feeling of exhilaration followed by disappointment,” said Harold Reeves, a 35-year-old theology student from Washington, D.C.

There was similar confusion following the second smoke signal on Tuesday.

Challenges ahead
A quick decision in the first round of voting on Monday would have been a surprise. The cardinals have a staggering range of issues to juggle as they choose the first new pope of the 21st century — fallout from priest sex-abuse scandals, chronic shortages of priests and nuns, as well as calls for sharper activism against poverty and easing the ban on condoms to help combat AIDS.

The next pontiff also must maintain the global ministry of John Paul, who took 104 international trips in his more than 26-year papacy.

“Keep praying for the new pope,” said 82-year-old Cardinal Luis Aponte Martinez of Puerto Rico, who was too old to join the conclave, open only to cardinals under 80 years old.

It was the first time in more than a generation that crowds had stared at the chimney for the famous smoke and word of a new pope. In that time, the church has been pulled in two directions: a spiritual renaissance under John Paul, but battered by scandals and a flock pressing for less rigid teachings.
The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7523254/?GT1=6428

Bob Dole
04-19-2005, 10:44 AM
Bob Dole has $200 on the Brazilian at 8-1.

Come on Pope Sixtus VI! Baby needs a new pair of shoes.

Iowanian
04-19-2005, 10:44 AM
Can't wait hope it's an american.

I don't see that there will EVER be an American Pope.

ENDelt260
04-19-2005, 10:45 AM
Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger is named the new pope.

per msn.com

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Art/COVER/z_futures/NewPope/stg_hz_popeRatinger_cvr_8a.tsm368x178.jpg

AustinChief
04-19-2005, 10:45 AM
Cardinal Ratzinger of Germany!

alnorth
04-19-2005, 10:46 AM
Cardinal Ratzinger of Germany, who has taken the name Pope Benedict XVI

big nasty kcnut
04-19-2005, 10:46 AM
benedict 16

Frazod
04-19-2005, 10:48 AM
I don't see that there will EVER be an American Pope.

It would be funny to see the crowd boo, though. :D

siberian khatru
04-19-2005, 10:48 AM
The new pope:

http://www.nndb.com/people/788/000024716/ratz1-sized.jpg

JimNasium
04-19-2005, 10:50 AM
The new pope:

http://www.nndb.com/people/788/000024716/ratz1-sized.jpg
It's a little known fact that Popes have traditionally....

Brock
04-19-2005, 10:50 AM
How old?

big nasty kcnut
04-19-2005, 10:51 AM
It's a little known fact that being pope mean you get all the cable channels free.

JimNasium
04-19-2005, 10:51 AM
How old?
Born in 1929 (I think). You do the math.

Jenny Gump
04-19-2005, 10:52 AM
I hope someone thinks to ask him:

"Who died and made you Pope?"

JimNasium
04-19-2005, 10:52 AM
Whoops, 1927 so add two.

Brock
04-19-2005, 10:53 AM
So he's a transitional guy. Sort of a Gunther Cunningham Pope.

ptlyon
04-19-2005, 10:53 AM
Bob Dole has $200 on the Brazilian at 8-1.

Come on Pope Sixtus VI! Baby needs a new pair of shoes.

I'll PM you on where you can send me my money Bob

siberian khatru
04-19-2005, 10:55 AM

He likes his priests to grow beards and rip the sleeves off their T-shirts.

alnorth
04-19-2005, 10:56 AM
He's pretty old. He is the oldest man to become pope in over a century. Cardinal Ratzinger was John Paul II's right-hand man, known for being the guy who strictly enforced the previous pope's policies, and keeping any bishops who strayed in line.

The choice of Ratzinger means there is almost no chance whatsoever of any significant change in Vatican policy on any major issue. Ratzinger was considered to be one of the most conservative cardinals in the conclave.

However, due to his age, he might have been selected as a safe "bridge" from the old pope to the next, he likely wont be around even half as long as John Paul II, and if the need for significant changes in the church becomes more apparent the next time, then we may see someone who is more moderate elected.

Rausch
04-19-2005, 10:56 AM

Correct. And he's a really old guy, so if the Cards don't see things going their way he's looking at a 10 and out anyway...

Rausch
04-19-2005, 10:57 AM
Wait, where are the conspiracy theorists? What'd that saint predict about who this guy would be?...

Rain Man
04-19-2005, 10:58 AM
Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger is named the new pope.

per msn.com

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Art/COVER/z_futures/NewPope/stg_hz_popeRatinger_cvr_8a.tsm368x178.jpg

I can't believe that he didn't go with Sixtus VI, or maybe even Ratzo I.

AustinChief
04-19-2005, 11:02 AM
He turned 78 a few days ago.

chiefs4me
04-19-2005, 11:02 AM
I just watched it on tv.....Bless our new pope.

Jenny Gump
04-19-2005, 11:04 AM
When did the last Pope die? WTF?

Bob Dole
04-19-2005, 11:06 AM
Pope Benedict XVI

http://www.tvtome.com/images/people/0/8/92-16406-sm.jpg

Clint in Wichita
04-19-2005, 11:07 AM
He turned 78 a few days ago.

So, this Pope thing is going to happen every couple of years?

It's like replacing Elvis Grbac with Jeff George.

chiefs4me
04-19-2005, 11:07 AM
I'll PM you on where you can send me my money Bob

And then you can send it to me...:thumb:

jarjar
04-19-2005, 11:08 AM
Interestingly, he's a former Hitler Youth.

Jenny Gump

Yeah, the Catholic Church is timing it with the schedule of Tetanus Boosters.

[Enter Big Daddy]

Rausch
Pope Benedict XVI

Sweet! I've changed my mind, I WANNA' BE CONFIRMED! :toast:

ptlyon
04-19-2005, 11:10 AM
And then you can send it to me...:thumb:

I'll share - once I get it.

Bob Dole
04-19-2005, 11:10 AM
Pope Benedict XVI

Damn the drive home for lunch!

Bob Dole didn't realize some other warped soul had already posted.

AZORChiefFan
04-19-2005, 11:11 AM
My money was on Rich Scanlon :banghead:

Brock
04-19-2005, 11:13 AM

It's like replacing Elvis Grbac with Jeff George.

More like John Elway with Bubby Brister. Oops!

Bob Dole
04-19-2005, 11:14 AM
huh huhuhuh.

He said "Bubby."

BCD
04-19-2005, 11:18 AM
Wow. Am I the only one around here who doesn't really give a shit?

Nzoner
04-19-2005, 11:21 AM
http://www.vistadvd.co.uk/stckimg/17049DVD.jpg

Oh hell,wrong thread

Saulbadguy
04-19-2005, 11:24 AM
Born in Marktl am Inn, in Bavaria, Germany, Ratzinger entered a preparatory seminary in 1939. In 1943, at the age of 16 he was, along with the rest of his class, drafted into the Flak or anti-aircraft corps. He went into basic training for the Wehrmacht infantry in November of 1944. In 1945 he was interned in a POW camp as a German soldier. By June he was released, and he and his brother (Georg) reentered seminary.

Rausch
04-19-2005, 11:27 AM
Born in Marktl am Inn, in Bavaria, Germany, Ratzinger entered a preparatory seminary in 1939. In 1943, at the age of 16 he was, along with the rest of his class, drafted into the Flak or anti-aircraft corps. He went into basic training for the Wehrmacht infantry in November of 1944. In 1945 he was interned in a POW camp as a German soldier. By June he was released, and he and his brother (Georg) reentered seminary.

Good. Perhaps he'll excommunicate France...

Saulbadguy
04-19-2005, 11:29 AM
He did join the Nazi's kind of late. Perhaps he was forced. That happened alot in 1944/45

Manila-Chief
04-19-2005, 11:34 AM

No you are not.... except I prefer to change your last word to something nicer!!! But, your thoughts are in the right place!!!!!!

BCD
04-19-2005, 11:49 AM
except I prefer to change your last word to something nicer!!! Maybe. I care about a new Pope election about as much as I'd like to see Denver win back to back titles again...

Coach
04-19-2005, 11:49 AM
Well at least that didn't take forever as most people feared it could had.

ChiTown
04-19-2005, 11:52 AM

It's news worthy. He's the leader of the world's largest religious body. Even as a reformed Cathoholic, I still find it interesting.

tyton75
04-19-2005, 12:14 PM
The new Pope gets to pick his name.. right??

Why Benedict? just out of curiousity...

Too bad it wasn't an American.. can you imagine.. Pope Billy Bob I

vailpass
04-19-2005, 12:37 PM
Maybe. I care about a new Pope election about as much as I'd like to see Denver win back to back titles again...

You'll care when the Papal Guard is dispatched to drag your heretic ass out of bed in the dead of night and straps your ass to the rack. Then, oh then, will you renounce your blasphemous ways and acknowledge the Holy Father as the spiritual leader that he is...damn I miss the good old days when you could inflict some real punishment on uncouth clowns like Big Chief Dave.

|Zach|
04-19-2005, 12:38 PM
damn I miss the good old days when you could inflict some real punishment on uncouth clowns like Big Chief Dave.
:spock:

vailpass
04-19-2005, 12:45 PM
:spock:

No sense of medieval humor today Zach?

el borracho
04-19-2005, 12:46 PM
I wonder which will last longer: the new pope or the new James Bond?

|Zach|
04-19-2005, 12:49 PM
No sense of medieval humor today Zach?
Guess not, in an unrelated story.

One time me and my old man were in Orlando for one reason or another and we had an afternoon to kill so we ended up going to "Medieval Times" (http://www.medievaltimes.com/) because the idea sounded funny at the time. When someone asked for silverware they explained that "there was no silverware in medieval times so that you will have to use your hands. Oh, and here is your Pepsi."

There was a museum attatched to the place that showed all kinds of different tortue devices that were really used. It was crazy crazy stuff.

vailpass
04-19-2005, 12:54 PM
Guess not, in an unrelated story.

One time me and my old man were in Orlando for one reason or another and we had an afternoon to kill so we ended up going to "Medieval Times" (http://www.medievaltimes.com/) because the idea sounded funny at the time. When someone asked for silverware they explained that "there was no silverware in medieval times so that you will have to use your hands. Oh, and here is your Pepsi."

There was a museum attatched to the place that showed all kinds of different tortue devices that were really used. It was crazy crazy stuff.

Did you enjoy the jousting match?
And tell me: were you more offended by my comment about Chief Dave or by his comment about not giving a shit about the Pope?

|Zach|
04-19-2005, 12:56 PM
Did you enjoy the jousting match?
And tell me: were you more offended by my comment about Chief Dave or by his comment about not giving a shit about the Pope?
It was hmmm, an interesting experience overall. Me and my dad have this weird thing when we go places and have time we like to do weird stuff. The last time we went Cali we caught an XFL playoff game.

And...

I just took your post to seriously.

vailpass
04-19-2005, 01:04 PM
It was hmmm, an interesting experience overall. Me and my dad have this weird thing when we go places and have time we like to do weird stuff. The last time we went Cali we caught an XFL playoff game.

And...

I just took your post to seriously.

Very cool that you and your dad have that kind of thing going.
By the way, never take anything I post too seriously. About 75% of the pablum I spew on this board are positions I take in order to evoke a response but don't personally own. It's a way to kill time between real-world events, nothing more.

|Zach|
04-19-2005, 01:06 PM
Very cool that you and your dad have that kind of thing going.
The guy is amazing, but that is another story for another day.

Medieval Times...I came away amazed at the show they run. They flat know how to make money. I should get my own mote and shield or something.

http://www.chicago.il.org/images/medieval_times.jpg

whoman69
04-19-2005, 01:09 PM
The new Pope gets to pick his name.. right??

Why Benedict? just out of curiousity...

Too bad it wasn't an American.. can you imagine.. Pope Billy Bob I
Benedict XV was the last to hold that name. He was pope from 1914 to 1922 and seen as a moderate. In taking the name, its assumed that this pope is going to move to the center. Based on his record, it seems a smoke screen.

tomahawk kid
04-19-2005, 01:32 PM
Wait, where are the conspiracy theorists? What'd that saint predict about who this guy would be?...

A benedictine. Which is what this guy appears to be.

That's a bit worrisome.

ENDelt260
04-19-2005, 05:59 PM
Following John Paul II, only two popes remain in the prophecy. The next motto is Gloria Olivae, the glory of the olive. This motto has led to speculation that the next pontiff will be from the Order of Saint Benedict. The prophecy was fulfilled (in a way...) when Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger picked Benedict XVI as his papal name.

There had already been, before the election of pope, a concomitance in two unrelated events occurring on the opening date of the 2005 Conclaves. First, a Turkish presidential candidate won overnight the northern Cyprus elections favouring re-unification peace talks of the two sectors; the Cyprus flag has two inter-locking olive branches in it. Secondly, the Italian Prime Minister has seriously been considering resigning and holding early general elections succumbing to pressure from the leftist opposition called l'Ulivo. The LIV element in the title also gives rise to interpretation about any possible significance of the number 54.

Some believe that Gloria Olivae will be a Benedictine order pope. There are also various other interpretations of the term - such as that the new pope will choose Benedict as his name. This appears to have come true with the election of Pope Benedict XVI.

Conspiracy theorists believe that Ratzinger is actually trying very hard to make the world believe in the prophecy. Indeed, as dean of Cardinals, he had a say in the choice of John Paul II's funeral date (fulfilling the second part of the de labore solis prophecy), and later, he was obviously free to pick a fitting papal name for himself (fulfilling the gloria olivae prophecy).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_popes

Thig Lyfe
04-19-2005, 06:09 PM
Pizzope B-dizzle tha 16