PDA

View Full Version : Sturgis

wildcat09
04-20-2005, 02:19 AM
Anyone else going to Sturgis this year? I just recently bought a bike and I am making my maiden voyage to Sturgis this year. I am just looking for suggestions or advice or maybe even a group to travel with. I am new to the area and am sort of a lone wolf.

Fairplay
04-20-2005, 02:23 AM
Make sure you have visable tattoos and act like Harleys are it! Act tough and sh*t. Act like you've been there and done that. Say you were in prison and all. You will fit right in.

Shave your head if you want bonus points.

wildcat09
04-20-2005, 02:27 AM
I ride a metric bike so the harley thing is out. I have a couple of tats so i have that covered. I will leave the tough guy act to someone else. i am pretty laid back.

Fairplay
04-20-2005, 02:29 AM
Im just messin with you. From what i understand its a really cool thing, and you will be accepted by all im sure.

Do it if nothing else to have an experience to tell for the rest of your life.

wildcat09
04-20-2005, 02:32 AM
I plan to document things very well so when i am old i have tangible proof to show my grand kids

el borracho
04-20-2005, 02:33 AM
Anyone else going to Sturgis this year? I just recently bought a bike and I am making my maiden voyage to Sturgis this year. I am just looking for suggestions or advice or maybe even a group to travel with. I am new to the area and am sort of a lone wolf.
I suggest you drink a lot of beer and yell "show your tits" a lot.

I also suggest you post pics on Chiefsplanet.

Fairplay
04-20-2005, 02:33 AM
I plan to document things very well so when i am old i have tangible proof to show my grand kids

Yeah, take pics and all. You will see plenty of nice bikes thats for sure.
Maybe see a celebrity or two.

wildcat09
04-20-2005, 02:36 AM
I am pretty good at both those. I went horse yelling show your tits at a mardi gras party once. i woke up in another county. ahhhh good times.

wildcat09
04-20-2005, 02:37 AM
I went to the easyrider show a couple of weeks ago and met some big time builders like billy lane, aaron greene, perawitz, rick fairless, and kendal johnson. it kicked ass.

trndobrd
04-20-2005, 05:49 AM
I went up in 2000 to do some mountain biking and stay with a buddy who lives in Custer, SD. Lo and Behold, the week of my trip was also rally week. Obviously, we had the wrong kind of bikes, but we had a great time anyway. I went back for rally week in 2003.

I would start planning now for a place to stay, if you don't have a place already. I would suggest finding someplace outside of Sturgis, then ride in and out.

Plan on a day to see Crazy Horse and Mount Rushmore. Plan on another day to ride out to Devils Tower. Jewel cave and Wind Cave National Parks are both within easy riding distance. A day spent in Deadwood is also a lot of fun.

As for the evenings...downtown Sturgis has a lot to offer. :) Watch out for The Dungeon. I got molested by a toothless old hag.

If I'm back on R&R leave I might try to make it up.

Cochise
04-20-2005, 05:51 AM
Mine's not slow enough to be welcome at sturgis :Poke: :fire:

wildcat09
04-20-2005, 06:06 AM

You must have one of those damn crotch rockets :cuss:

Cochise
04-20-2005, 06:17 AM
You must have one of those damn crotch rockets :cuss:

ROFL Well, sort of. Just kidding around.

So can you go there on a metric bike? I'd heard that they used to hang them up in trees or set them on fire, but it wasn't that way anymore. Is that really the case?

wildcat09
04-20-2005, 06:20 AM
yeah they even have a custom metric bike show during sturgis. i really want to check that out.

SDChief
04-20-2005, 06:47 AM
I live in Rapid City, my first suggestion is make all your reservation NOW for lodging and everything else. There won't be a room to be had pretty soon. If you plan on camping at one of the camps, well then you may have better luck. But if you are staying at a motel, be ready for incredibly hight prices. As a local, we usually take that week off and go somewhere else, so I'm sorry I can't offer you any company while your here, but have fun, it usually is. :thumb:

ptlyon
04-20-2005, 08:52 AM
wildcat -

here's some general rules for Sturgis:
if you don't camp - you ain't chit.

get to keystone, deadwood for at least a beer or 3.

2 rides you MUST have - needles highway and spearfish canyon.

go out a week early or late. late would be better - everything is cheaper.

Don't go back. Sturgis is like New Year's Eve or St. Patty's day - Amatuer night.

morphius
04-20-2005, 08:57 AM
LOL! I love all the quarter mile races that are Harley only, guess they are afraid of some actual competition.

Edubs
04-20-2005, 09:14 AM
Harley......Dinette Set.....Harley.....Dinette Set........Harley......well I actually convinced the wife to get the new DLP TV....that will work for now. I have some friends that go out to Sturgis every year and they love it. Hope you have a good time. Bring back some pics of women wearing chaps and nothing else.

Cntrygal
04-20-2005, 09:21 AM
I live in Rapid City, my first suggestion is make all your reservation NOW for lodging and everything else. There won't be a room to be had pretty soon. If you plan on camping at one of the camps, well then you may have better luck. But if you are staying at a motel, be ready for incredibly hight prices. As a local, we usually take that week off and go somewhere else, so I'm sorry I can't offer you any company while your here, but have fun, it usually is. :thumb:

Hey neighbor! (I'm out at the base)

jspchief
04-20-2005, 09:21 AM
Funny Story about Sturgis...

When I was about 13, my family took a camping vacation to South Dakota, Montana, etc. Me father planned pretty far in advance, with camping reservations in various areas along the way. I can remeber my sister and I marveling at the number of people on motorcycles on the way there.

I'm sure you can guess where this is going. One of our scheduled stopping points was Sturgis. We had no idea what was going on. Imagine the Griswolds pulling their family truckster into a campground where literally every camper was a biker. needless to say, we got the campground owner to start calling other areas a little further away to find us a different place to stay the night.

In the meantime, Me and my dad walked around down on what appeared to be a main street. I bought a t-shirt, and saw some thing I hadn't seen before. But overall, everyone was incredibly nice. It's a memory that I'll always hold on to, because it was so unique. Turns out we were at the 49th annual Sturgis bike rally.

Cntrygal
04-20-2005, 09:25 AM

Hotel prices are going to be sky high, and most people make reservations really early (some after the last rally). I usually camp a couple nights out near Spearfish. (I don't have a bike - but some of my friends do and they come in from out of state to go to the rally)

cheeeefs
04-20-2005, 10:42 AM
I lived in Sturgis for 18 years. The rally is a blast, there is no need to be afraid of the bikers, 99% of them are the nicest people you'll ever meet. Just be mindful of combustable situations, If you see large numbers of two differet gangs at any restraunt or similar establishment, your probably not in any danger, but I consider it smart to just go somewhere else. Especially if those gangs are the banditos/hells angels/suns of silence/iron horsemen and a few others.

I remember one time I was working as a dishwasher at the country kitchen and all the sudden half the tables were hells anges, and the other half were suns of silence, the waitresses were so scared by the situation they refused to go out on the floor and I had to go be a waiter for a few hours, it was surreal.

my family owns about 70 acres about 5 miles outside of Sturgis, and the Suns of Silence own a 20 acre plot right next to mine. They are nice to their neighbors, and boy do they know how to party... about 500 on average show up at any one time, and the party never stops. They organize some crazy events most notably was the "hag drag" where they put their significant other all up in leathers tied her to the back of their hog, and had a good old fashioned drag race through a pasture. They would do the same thing with shovels etc...

ahhh the good old days :D

Brock
04-20-2005, 10:48 AM
ROFL Well, sort of. Just kidding around.

So can you go there on a metric bike? I'd heard that they used to hang them up in trees or set them on fire, but it wasn't that way anymore. Is that really the case?

It's mostly poser rich guys at Sturgis now. Destroying jap bikes used to be a fun thing they did up there, but you see more and more of them up there now. It's getting to where I can't tell one v-twin from another.

Bwana
04-20-2005, 10:50 AM
You may want to shoot 2BikeMike an email. He was down there 2 years ago.

wildcat09
04-20-2005, 11:19 PM
any good stopping points on the way up there? 750 miles is a long way all at once on a bike.

COchief
04-20-2005, 11:26 PM
You are pretty much heading to a serious party. The Black Hillls is a beautiful area, if you really want to enjoy it, travel there again on a different week.

Definitely do needles highway, it's an amazing cruise.

wildcat09
04-21-2005, 12:18 AM
i have seen many pics of that area and i am looking forward to seeing it for myself. I really want to see devil's tower too

Cntrygal
04-21-2005, 09:33 AM
any good stopping points on the way up there? 750 miles is a long way all at once on a bike.

What route are you taking?

Brock
04-21-2005, 09:35 AM

Be sure and stop at the Nebraska State Forest. Don't look too closely and notice the trees are in rows.

trndobrd
04-21-2005, 09:43 AM
i have seen many pics of that area and i am looking forward to seeing it for myself. I really want to see devil's tower too

You MUST stop at Carhenge in Chadron, Neb.

trndobrd
04-21-2005, 09:44 AM
You are pretty much heading to a serious party. The Black Hillls is a beautiful area, if you really want to enjoy it, travel there again on a different week.

Definitely do needles highway, it's an amazing cruise.

The Black Hills are a completely different place in the off season. The Mickelson Trail is great.

Oh, and the place up on top of the hill in Rapid City that has the concrete dinosaurs. That's cool to.

Brock
04-21-2005, 09:50 AM
One thing we always did on our way back was stop in Nederland Colorado and see the Frozen Dead Guy.

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/CP-FrozenDeadGuy.html