PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! Server issues!

AustinChief
04-20-2005, 12:09 PM
OK.. I'm working on the server right now... and I need YOUR help. I am pruning old threads (anything over 200 days old) This process has taken most of the last week. (the old threads will soon be made available on a seperate "archive" forum)

I think I have pruned enough to turn the SEARCH feature back on. I will do this in the next few hours. I need everyone here to pay close attention to performance and keep me informed on any ups/downs.

Also... I will need to do a reboot before this happens.. I will post a warning here when that is about to occur.

--Kyle

AustinChief
04-20-2005, 12:47 PM
ok.. almost there

morphius
04-20-2005, 12:49 PM
thanks for the heads up!

Mr. Laz
04-20-2005, 12:54 PM
almost un-postable at the moment

jcroft
04-20-2005, 12:55 PM
yeah, right now it's very, very slow.

Count Alex's Losses
04-20-2005, 12:56 PM
Incredibly slow right now.

the Talking Can
04-20-2005, 12:56 PM
screw the search feature...speed is the only thing that matters

Count Alex's Losses
04-20-2005, 01:00 PM
Getting faster.

jspchief
04-20-2005, 01:02 PM
Great to hear that it's being worked on. Your efforts are appeciated.

Count Alex's Losses
04-20-2005, 01:03 PM
Faster!

chiefs4me
04-20-2005, 01:04 PM
Not bitching here.....but it's hardly working at all..taking me 5 or more min just to pull a page up. But am glad to know it's not my pc.

Coach
04-20-2005, 01:06 PM
Still terribly slow for it to load.

Mr. Laz
04-20-2005, 01:09 PM
it's a little better now... postable.

but still very slow ... i imagine it's dang near impossible still for dialup people.

(fyi i'm on a 5 m/s cable pipe)

AustinChief
04-20-2005, 01:10 PM
I know that it is slow right now... I am pruning the last few threads and optimizing the POST table at the same time...

The POST table is now 1/3 the size it was before this started.

--Kyle

Mr. Laz
04-20-2005, 01:12 PM
I know that it is slow right now... I am pruning the last few threads and optimizing the POST table at the same time...

The POST table is now 1/3 the size it was before this started.

--Kyle
k ...

just thought you wanted updates

laz
~meekly crawls back into the shadows~

jcroft
it's a little better now... postable.

but still very slow ... i imagine it's dang near impossible still for dialup people.

Actually, it's probably not any slower for them. The bottleneck here is on the server side, not the network.

Count Alex's Losses
It's plenty fast for me right now.

Skip Towne
04-20-2005, 01:15 PM
Doing fine here. But I'm on dial-up so I'm used to slow.

Ultra Peanut
04-20-2005, 01:17 PM
I think I have pruned enough to turn the SEARCH feature back on. I will do this in the next few hours. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SNAP!

AustinChief
04-20-2005, 01:23 PM
k ...

just thought you wanted updates

laz
~meekly crawls back into the shadows~

No No.. Keep the comments coming! I was just giving you a heads up as to why it was still slow and spotty. Last OPTIMIZE for today (probably) is going on now.

--Kyle

jcroft
04-20-2005, 01:26 PM
Seems quicker right now...

Skip Towne
04-20-2005, 01:27 PM
We really need to keep the Planet slow so Ioweenien can keep up.

Bob Dole
04-20-2005, 01:28 PM
If we all post speed status messages every 30 seconds ir should help speed things up.

jcroft
04-20-2005, 01:29 PM
Yep, it' definitely moving along better now. nice work, Kyle.

big nasty kcnut
04-20-2005, 01:29 PM
Thank kyle for everything did you see the mention i gave you on my 5000 posts.

Count Alex's Losses
04-20-2005, 01:30 PM
Maybe if we all post without pluralization or punctuation like kcnut it help

Bob Dole
04-20-2005, 01:31 PM
status = average

Saulbadguy
I can't wait for the Search feature. I CAN'T WAIT!!

Count Alex's Losses
I can't wait for the Search feature. I CAN'T WAIT!!

I can't wait to rip some new assholes!

big nasty kcnut
04-20-2005, 01:32 PM
Right now kyle everythings doing ok on my end.

jcroft
04-20-2005, 01:32 PM
I can't wait to rip some new assholes!

I can't wait until your avatar gives someone a seizure.

Count Alex's Losses
04-20-2005, 01:34 PM
I'm burning through the skies Yeah!
Two hundred degrees
That's why they call me Mister Fahrenheit
I'm trav'ling at the speed of light
I wanna make a supersonic man of you

Bob Dole
04-20-2005, 01:35 PM
status = okay

AustinChief
04-20-2005, 01:37 PM
ok be prepared for a slooooowwwww down.. I'm reindexing for search now.

--Kyle

Saulbadguy
04-20-2005, 01:38 PM
The spotted cookoo bird is flying backwards.

jcroft
04-20-2005, 01:43 PM
Seems to be going slowly again...

big nasty kcnut
04-20-2005, 01:45 PM
Thank for the heads up kyle.

Iowanian
04-20-2005, 01:50 PM
We really need to keep the Planet slow so Ioweenien can keep up.

thats Funny Cheech. Between your Glaucoma and huka time, I'm considering posting with 3 spaces between letters....maybe in Techno color just to confuse you.

Mr. Laz
04-20-2005, 01:51 PM
spotty ...

it'll be draggin' and then all the sudden ... boom, full speed

then back to slow

chiefz
04-20-2005, 01:56 PM
Pretty damned slow at the moment AustinChief and I am running on multihomed DS3's.

jcroft
04-20-2005, 02:34 PM
Yep, it's really slow again.

Guys, it doesn't matter what YOUR connection is -- there are sever issues. It doesn't matter how fast you can hit the server, the server is still going to take forever to process the request as long as there are issues.

In other words:

Step 1: Your request goes in network packets from your comptuer to server.
Step 2: Server processes your request and produces output.
Step 3: Output goes in network packets from server to your computer.

Your connection only comes into play on steps one and three, but step two is where the slowness is.

Count Alex's Losses
04-20-2005, 02:36 PM
It's not slow for me.

jcroft
04-20-2005, 02:39 PM
It's not slow for me.

Seems to have sped up again. It's very spotty, very off an on. one minute, it's fine, the next it's dragging.

AustinChief
04-20-2005, 02:41 PM
expect it to be like this for the next 4-5 hours.. after that it should pick up again... at which time the SEARCH function should work fine again also

jcroft
04-20-2005, 02:42 PM
expect it to be like this for the next 4-5 hours.. after that it should pick up again... at which time the SEARCH function should work fine again also

Cool, nice work. Thanks!

Count Alex's Losses
04-20-2005, 02:43 PM

I checked it out....I see nothing wrong with it.

AustinChief
04-20-2005, 02:59 PM
I checked it out....I see nothing wrong with it.
It will "work" now.. but only 10% of the threads have been indexed so far.

--Kyle

Mark M
04-20-2005, 03:03 PM
at which time the SEARCH function should work fine again also

If you listen closely, you can hear Taco John screaming ...

well, it could be the search feature being re-enabled, or Jenny Gump just found a way to get rid of her kid's hamster.

MM
~~:D

jcroft
04-20-2005, 03:06 PM
Or maybe it's Jenny Gump's hamster running on a wheel that is powering the search indexing.

ENDelt260
04-20-2005, 03:07 PM
The board's not doing too bad... but, I've got gas.

chiefz
04-20-2005, 03:09 PM
Yep, it's really slow again.

Guys, it doesn't matter what YOUR connection is -- there are sever issues. It doesn't matter how fast you can hit the server, the server is still going to take forever to process the request as long as there are issues.

In other words:

Step 1: Your request goes in network packets from your comptuer to server.
Step 2: Server processes your request and produces output.
Step 3: Output goes in network packets from server to your computer.

Your connection only comes into play on steps one and three, but step two is where the slowness is.

The point was to express to AustinChief that it was in fact slow at the moment I responded and it couldn't possibly be due to my connection.

You really didn't need to explain the basics of networking versus server technology to me. The fact that I know what multihomed DS3s are should have been enough to tell you that I am no novice.

Thanks for the lesson though. :thumb:

jcroft
04-20-2005, 03:14 PM
The point was to express to AustinChief that it was in fact slow at the moment I responded and it couldn't possibly be due to my connection.

First, I wasn't targeting my message at you alone.

Second, it was obvious that Kyle already knew it was a server problem (he said as much, that's how I knew) -- so he couldn't have possibly assumed it was your connection. By telling him it couldn't possibly be your connection, you were simply telling him what he already knew.

Mark M
04-20-2005, 03:16 PM
NERD FIGHT!

MM
~~:Poke:

Iowanian
04-20-2005, 03:17 PM
mark.....back off, you know kipCroft is training to be a cage fighter.....gosh!

jcroft
04-20-2005, 03:20 PM
mark.....back off, you know kipCroft is training to be a cage fighter.....gosh!

You're just jealous because I've been chatting with babes online all day.

Iowanian
04-20-2005, 03:22 PM
You can't be a cage fighter croft.....your online reflexes SUCK! [whap]

jcroft
04-20-2005, 03:26 PM
You can't be a cage fighter croft.....your online reflexes SUCK! [whap]

Napowanian, why don't you come down here at hit me then? I said come here and hit me, see what happens.

Skip Towne
04-20-2005, 03:30 PM
thats Funny Cheech. Between your Glaucoma and huka time, I'm considering posting with 3 spaces between letters....maybe in Techno color just to confuse you.
Wouldn't that require that you use TWO fingers to type? I'd hate to see you over tax your brain after what the squirrel did to it.

Iowanian
04-20-2005, 03:35 PM
cheech........I'll put my T1 70wpm vs your rhumatoid fingered webTV any day.

I'd have to get you a handicapped space for your chair though........I couldn't expect you to keep up with the typing, with that thumb and index finger gripping your crushed popcan-pipe and all.

Calcountry
04-20-2005, 03:38 PM
Oh, that explains it. Thanks for your efforts Austin. :D

chiefz
04-20-2005, 03:43 PM
First, I wasn't targeting my message at you alone.

Second, it was obvious that Kyle already knew it was a server problem (he said as much, that's how I knew) -- so he couldn't have possibly assumed it was your connection. By telling him it couldn't possibly be your connection, you were simply telling him what he already knew.

First, my mistake, I figured since you responded directly after my post stating what my connection was and nothing had been mentioned about a connection for two pages the geek lesson of the day was directed towards me.

Second, I see the fact that AustinChief knows he is having server problems irrelevant when you consider that if the server was running fine at the time yet I posted the speed was slow when in fact it just appeared to be slow because I was running over an absolutely horrible connection.

Thirdly with your previous comment on dialup:

Actually, it's probably not any slower for them. The bottleneck here is on the server side, not the network.

That isn't entirely true either, if you consider that excessive TCP retries and resets to and from the server itself, they are much more likely to saturate a very small dialup connection causing actual data to be pushed back based on the fifo principle as opposed to a broadband connection that would have plenty of available bandwidth to burn. Its the sawtooth or global synchronization effect.

jcroft
04-20-2005, 04:07 PM
That isn't entirely true either, if you consider that excessive TCP retries and resets to and from the server itself, they are much more likely to saturate a very small dialup connection causing actual data to be pushed back based on the fifo principle as opposed to a broadband connection that would have plenty of available bandwidth to burn. Its the sawtooth or global synchronization effect.

I might be inclined to discuss this with you if it wasn't for the fact that I'd like to retain my eligibility to talk to members of the opposite sex.

Sorry, I'm no super-geek. You win, and I'm okay with that.

go bowe
04-20-2005, 04:30 PM
cheech........I'll put my T1 70wpm vs your rhumatoid fingered webTV any day.

I'd have to get you a handicapped space for your chair though........I couldn't expect you to keep up with the typing, with that thumb and index finger gripping your crushed popcan-pipe and all.you can use a crushed popcan to make a pipe?

say, you wouldn't happen to have an empty lying around somewhere, would you? :bong:

chiefs4me
04-20-2005, 05:16 PM
you can use a crushed popcan to make a pipe?

say, you wouldn't happen to have an empty lying around somewhere, would you? :bong:

You are you kidding......you know very well you can make a pipe from an empty popcan..ROFL

chiefz
04-20-2005, 08:55 PM
I might be inclined to discuss this with you if it wasn't for the fact that I'd like to retain my eligibility to talk to members of the opposite sex.

Sorry, I'm no super-geek. You win, and I'm okay with that.

Nice save...

At any rate don't feel bad, I design, implement and secure global internetworks for a living.

On another note, if you are looking to hook up with members of the opposite sex on a Chiefs Internet message board you might need to rethink your strategy.

Mr. Laz
04-20-2005, 08:57 PM
Thirdly with your previous comment on dialup:

thanks... i didn't have the energy to go into it :thumb:

jcroft
04-20-2005, 09:04 PM
On another note, if you are looking to hook up with members of the opposite sex on a Chiefs Internet message board you might need to rethink your strategy.

Haha, nice save yourself. That's not at all what I meant. I'm definitely not looking to hook up here. :)

For the record, I'm a web and graphic designer, and a part-time linux system administrator. I am somewhat of a computer nerd because I spend a lot of my time using them, but I really consider myself to be a designer first, computer nerd second. I like making pretty things a lot more than I like talking about the inner working of TCP/IP networks. :)

htismaqe
04-20-2005, 09:09 PM
I like making pretty things a lot more than I like talking about the inner working of TCP/IP networks. :)

I'm the exact opposite.

jcroft
04-20-2005, 09:26 PM
I'm the exact opposite.

Nerd. :)

Ultra Peanut
04-21-2005, 05:28 AM
NERD FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ExtremeChief
04-21-2005, 06:12 AM
I would think that the recombobulation of the kenutin modulator along with reseating the server muffler bearings should help with the califriction of the search function.

chiefz
04-21-2005, 08:32 AM
NERDS RULE!

chiefz
04-21-2005, 08:33 AM
Haha, nice save yourself. That's not at all what I meant. I'm definitely not looking to hook up here. :)

For the record, I'm a web and graphic designer, and a part-time linux system administrator. I am somewhat of a computer nerd because I spend a lot of my time using them, but I really consider myself to be a designer first, computer nerd second. I like making pretty things a lot more than I like talking about the inner working of TCP/IP networks. :)

Cool, I do some design work myself. Not much, more of a hobbie really.

On the topic at hand, the site seems to be running really well today AustinChief.

whoman69
04-22-2005, 09:33 AM
It was running very badly earlier this morning. I kept getting an error message that said that the forum was not accepting messages right now. It also took alot of time for threads to load up. Seems to be running better now.

ChiTown
04-22-2005, 09:36 AM
I think we ought to just whack any post over 60 days old.

The search function is for losers that have to go back into the vault in order to say "I told you so...."

No offense to the Planet scribe....Titus ;)

chiefz
04-22-2005, 10:11 AM
Pretty slow right now but I am sure it is getting hammer considering the traffic I am pulling right now.