PDA

View Full Version : The future of radio?

el borracho
04-20-2005, 05:02 PM
New radio station here in ABQ is operating without DJs or any live commentary. Aside from advertisements and a few (probably less than 10) prerecorded announcements there is absolutely no talking, only music. According to one of the prerecorded announcements, the station's mission statement is to be "random" which seems to correspond to the music selection. It literally sounds like someone loaded a CD player and set it on random.

Probably saves the station a ton of money on DJ salaries and, really, who tunes in to hear the DJ, anyway? I guess there are some exceptions, such as Stern or Lykus but it looks like technology has eliminated the need for DJs. I can imagine a lot of stations doing this in the near future, if it isn't already happening.

A couple of questions:
Is this happening anywhere else or is this some crazy ABQ invention?
What does everybody think of radio minus radio personalities? Personally, I think it is an improvement not to listen to people blah-blah between songs. Agree? Disagree?

Jenson71
04-20-2005, 05:04 PM
Personally, I think it is an improvement not to listen to people blah-blah between songs. Agree? Disagree?

Agree. Absolutely. I hope this idea grows.

Makes sense. Do companies really spend much money advertising on the radio when they could do it on TV instead? Radio just seems to be a dying industry anyway.

Skip Towne
04-20-2005, 05:06 PM
:shrug:

Bob Dole
04-20-2005, 05:12 PM
New radio station here in ABQ is operating without DJs or any live commentary. Aside from advertisements and a few (probably less than 10) prerecorded announcements there is absolutely no talking, only music. According to one of the prerecorded announcements, the station's mission statement is to be "random" which seems to correspond to the music selection. It literally sounds like someone loaded a CD player and set it on random.

Probably saves the station a ton of money on DJ salaries and, really, who tunes in to hear the DJ, anyway? I guess there are some exceptions, such as Stern or Lykus but it looks like technology has eliminated the need for DJs. I can imagine a lot of stations doing this in the near future, if it isn't already happening.

A couple of questions:
Is this happening anywhere else or is this some crazy ABQ invention?
What does everybody think of radio minus radio personalities? Personally, I think it is an improvement not to listen to people blah-blah between songs. Agree? Disagree?

So is the station named "Bob" or "Jack?"

Boozer
04-20-2005, 05:19 PM

Actually, it's "Steve." I guess that makes them the Wendy's of the trans-format radio station market.

Nzoner
04-20-2005, 05:22 PM
Do companies really spend much money advertising on the radio when they could do it on TV instead? Radio just seems to be a dying industry anyway.

Being in print advertising my opinion is probably biased,however,radio is quite expensive especially when one breaks it down to the 30-60 second ads that are ran together between progamming.A radio ad rep I know in our small market did a little over $500,000 in total sales last year and as I said,this is a small market.

In visiting with him his concern lies down the road in what satellite radio may eventually do to radio stations as we know them now.

Personally,I rarely listen to radio anymore unless it's sportstalk.For music I tune in to DirecTv's satellite radio with no jocks and no ads and love it.

NaptownChief
04-20-2005, 05:25 PM
Emmis is doing that in several markets I believe....They just did that with one of the more prominent stations here in Indy....

Nobody wants to here a DJ babble anyway...people just want to hear music....I can certainly see the death of radio as we know it and pay satelite radio being the norm soon. All music and no commericals or DJ's....Local stations will lose market share and to offset the lower commercial revenue they will scrape the DJ expense which isn't really needed.

Bob Dole
Actually, it's "Steve." I guess that makes them the Wendy's of the trans-format radio station market.

That's cool. Hadn't heard them called anything but Bob or Jack before now.

They put one on the air about 3-4 months ago here, and the thing is extremely popular. Bob Dole hasn't bothered to check if any ratings have come out since then, though.

alpha_omega
In visiting with him his concern lies down the road in what satellite radio may eventually do to radio stations as we know them now.

Personally,I rarely listen to radio anymore unless it's sportstalk.For music I tune in to DirecTv's satellite radio with no jocks and no ads and love it.

Yep...Since getting my XM in January...i very rarely listen to local radio at all any more. Usually only to listen to any Chiefs talk that may be on, or catch the Royals. Other than that, it's XM for me.

Bob Dole
04-20-2005, 05:27 PM
Here's a CNN article from Monday.

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/18/music.radio.reut/

ENDelt260
04-20-2005, 05:32 PM
When I was in college there was a St. Louis radio station that had no DJs and limited commercials. It was rock format, though... not random.

I forget the name... but, it wasn't a man's name. Just a normal ole radio station name like X 92.3 or something.

Bob Dole
04-20-2005, 05:37 PM
Bob and Jack (don't know about Dave and Steve) use the tagline, "We play anything." It's kind of fun to call the station manager and ask them to play local, unsigned artists and listen to them backpeddle.

Boozer
04-20-2005, 05:37 PM
That's cool. Hadn't heard them called anything but Bob or Jack before now.

They put one on the air about 3-4 months ago here, and the thing is extremely popular. Bob Dole hasn't bothered to check if any ratings have come out since then, though.

Actually, that was just a lame attempt at a funny. On a trip through Texas in January, I enjoyed listening to "Bob," and now have "Jack" as a preset in my car. I don't know shit about Albuquerque or any of its radio stations.

el borracho
04-20-2005, 05:58 PM
Currently, "Ed" shortened from "Fred." Apparently there were some legal considerations in the change. http://www.abqtrib.com/albq/nw_local/article/0,2564,ALBQ_19858_3667627,00.html

But how did Bob Dole know that the station name would be a single syllable male name?

"Bob" Dobbs
04-20-2005, 06:16 PM
It's the "format du-jour". They're real cheap stations to operate, but when it gets right down to it, their biggest potential audience consists of people who have given up on radio already. They'll never dominate ratings-wise in the long term.

Hoover
04-20-2005, 06:18 PM
This happend where I grew up a few years ago.

New radio station. No commercials, just music and a 10 sec spot with the Station ID. It will last for a while.

el borracho
04-20-2005, 06:32 PM
It's the "format du-jour". They're real cheap stations to operate, but when it gets right down to it, their biggest potential audience consists of people who have given up on radio already. They'll never dominate ratings-wise in the long term.
Why couldn't they dominate? This particular station in ABQ. is based on random hits from the last 3 decades but someone could just as easily start a DJ-less station that played whatever genre of music. Or do you think that people prefer to have DJs?

"Bob" Dobbs
04-20-2005, 06:37 PM
Bob and Jack (don't know about Dave and Steve) use the tagline, "We play anything." It's kind of fun to call the station manager and ask them to play local, unsigned artists and listen to them backpeddle.

...actually, I've listened to a few different versions of Jack and they pretty much unanimously sneer "We play what we want". I guaran-damn-tee ya that musically, they are nowhere close to random, their playlist isn't THAT much bigger than most; they are real damn good at marketing.
EVERYTHING they play was a hit at one time or another. Unfamiliarity=BAD. To an awful lot of program directors, it isn't radio's job to CREATE the hits, it's their job to PLAY 'em. As far as the unsigned band thing, It's all in the marketing; new unsigned bands need to be better at marketing themselves in order to cut through the clutter on a PD's desk.
To do a "new/local music" SHOW is possible, but todays PD's just simply do not have the time or the resources to do so in an entertaining/audience-enhancing way.

"Bob" Dobbs
04-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Why couldn't they dominate? This particular station in ABQ. is based on random hits from the last 3 decades but someone could just as easily start a DJ-less station that played whatever genre of music. Or do you think that people prefer to have DJs?
#1- see my post above. they arent RANDOM. Far from it. They're good at marketing, but have no real entertainment power beyond being a jukebox. And you can get THAT on satellite or burn your own CD's. Radio MUST talk about local things just to survive... and that means someone to TELL you all the local stuff...
I've been involved with broadcast radio for almost 30 years, and it's tough to admit but I really think local radio is dead. It's just not sick yet.

Why wont they dominate? The audience they NEED is already gone.

el borracho
04-20-2005, 06:57 PM
Not being argumentative, just don't understand your position...

a) All I want from the radio is a jukebox. Why would radio need to talk about local stuff to survive?
b) Why would I pay for satellite radio when I can tune in to regular radio for free?

ENDelt260
04-20-2005, 07:00 PM
To do a "new/local music" SHOW is possible, but todays PD's just simply do not have the time or the resources to do so in an entertaining/audience-enhancing way.

KUPD in Phoenix seems to do okay with it.

Bob Dole
04-20-2005, 07:08 PM
As far as the unsigned band thing, It's all in the marketing; new unsigned bands need to be better at marketing themselves in order to cut through the clutter on a PD's desk.

Bob Dole is familiar with the local artist situation in this radio market and in fact, this station is the <i>only</i> one that refuses to play local, unsigned artists. Bob Dole also finds it entertaining to get the station manager to admit that either they don't truly "play what we want to" or that they don't want to play/support local, unsigned artists.

Matter of fact, Bob Dole bumped in to the guy at an event last Thursday night and had the same conversation for probably the 7th or 8th time. It's just fun to watch him squirm.

shaneo69
04-20-2005, 08:07 PM
St. Louis' 106.5 switched from Smooth Jazz to "The Arch" two weeks ago. Their motto is "70's, 80's, and whatever we want". Claim they have no corporate playlist and each day will be no repeats, although I heard "Sister Christian" three days in a row. Last week they had no commercials, but they do have them this week. No DJ's yet either, but they are in the process of hiring some.

Endelt, that X93.3 is still around with no DJ's. They never advertise though, and I don't know anyone who listens to it much. Might have to do with the fact I'm 35 and they target a much younger audience.

Cntrygal
04-21-2005, 09:27 AM
I would rather have just music.

jAZ
04-21-2005, 09:30 AM
This sounds like an episode of WKRP.

Johnny, is that you?

Brock
04-21-2005, 09:34 AM
It's a good idea. I'm sick of these doofuses around here who think a "deep track" is "When the Levee breaks".