PDA

View Full Version : Transcript of Carl's Press Conference from today...

shaneo69
04-20-2005, 08:16 PM
CHIEFS PRE-DRAFT PRESS BRIEFING
Carl Peterson/Lynn Stiles

Q: What is the latest on the Patrick Surtain situation? If you don’t get a deal done by Friday what’s going to happen or is any chance of a deal dead?

CARL PETERSON: “It’s not dead and it really doesn’t have to happen before the draft. Certainly the preference would be, but if it doesn’t there’s opportunities succeeding the draft specific to Patrick Surtain or other free agents that are out there right now and there will be more after the first of June.

“We have been working on it; it just hasn’t come together. It’s a complex situation because you first have to reach an agreement with an agent specific to a contract with numbers that fit our cap and that we can live with and that he would be amenable to. Once that’s done, then we’d try to work out draft compensation with Miami. If it doesn’t happen for this draft, then he remains the property of Miami and they have options and he has options also specific to playing out his contract. Depending where they are cap-wise – and Surtain has a large cap number, I think it’s $8.3 million – they’re going to have make decisions.

“It’s something that has been in progress, but frankly we also have been working with another option specific to another free agent cornerback that’s out there.”

Q: Is the issue you don’t want to give up your second draft pick?

PETERSON: “I do not want to give up our second draft choice, no. We feel that we can draft a very good football player in the second round at the 46th pick. That’s where I’ve been from the beginning with this thing.”

Q: Reports out of Florida are that you had reached an agreement with Surtain….

PETERSON: “Totally false.”

Q: Are you close, in the ballpark?

PETERSON: “When those reports came out, absolutely not.”

Q: How about now?

PETERSON: “Perhaps a little closer. We’re still talking. We’re running out of time to try and get it done for this particular draft. This would necessitate coming to an agreement, getting him here to pass a physical, getting a contract signed, having it approved by the league. It’s not something that can be done on draft day. That’s too many things to happen.

“Like I said: if it doesn’t happen we’re certainly going to go ahead and draft and the options for the next draft are available. That’s where we are.”

Q: What would be the deadline to get something done for this draft?

PETERSON: “Again, what are the flight schedules? How long would it take to get him here? It would be contingent upon him reporting, passing a physical and signing the contract and having it approved by the league. You can figure that out.”

Q: How would you characterize the deal: may or may not get done, get a contract with him or get the pick with Miami figured out?

PETERSON: “The first part has to be the contract. I can’t say that with any assurance about Miami. I’ve certainly had conversation with them as I’ve had conversation with Gary Uberstein, his agent. It may or may not happen. If it doesn’t, more importantly, we’re very prepared to draft three picks in the first day and seven in the second and are excited about it.”

Q: So, is a second round pick out of the question?

PETERSON: “I said that I would prefer not to trade our second round draft choice because we think we can pick a very good player at the 46th pick.”

Q: Having the 15th pick in the draft, is that a place where you can acquire a starter for your team?

PETERSON: “I would certainly hope so. Yes. It’s a good pick; it’s right in the middle of the round. Certainly there’ll be some very good players that will fall before that pick but I would like to think so. Tony Gonzalez was a 12th pick, John Tait was a 14th pick. You would hope that he would come in and do that.

“Once the draft is done as with signing free agents, our job is to hand them to the coaches and then it’s their job to get the guys on the field and get them ready to play. I would certainly think and hope that the 15th pick in the draft would be worthy of a starting position very quickly – or competing for it.”

Q: What would your preference be: inside or outside linebacker, safety or what after corner?

PETERSON: “I can’t tell you that. You know that. Every year you ask that. I will tell you that it’s defense. We have to see what’s there. I think we’ve had a lot of discussion in free agency, and I would prefer to talk about the draft since that’s what this press conference is about.

“But in free agency we said we wanted to address three areas: linebacker, safety and corner. We’ve been able to address two and we also picked up what we think is an excellent third pass rushing defensive end in Carlos Hall for a draft choice.

“If we don’t do anymore at this time I’m satisfied with what we were able to do. You can’t do everything that you want. You only have so much cap and cash dollars and it has to be something that’s amenable to the people you’re dealing with. But we have continuing options beyond this draft specific to veteran players.”

Q: If you were to acquire Surtain how would that affect how you approach that first pick?

PETERSON: “I think the obvious is that it would put a little less emphasis on drafting a cornerback. But I will tell you if we were to acquire Patrick Surtain before that – and I’ve had this discussion with (VP of player personnel) Lynn (Stiles) and Dick (Vermeil) I would still look very strongly at a secondary position: cornerback or a guy that’s got some versatility. It’s a need position but we don’t want to reach for it. We have to see what’s there on the 15th pick.”

Q: What guys excite you?

PETERSON: “Corners, safeties and linebackers and defensive linemen all have great merit for the first round. I just don’t like to talk about specifics until after we do it. I’ve been in this business long enough and I know what happens. Teams jump ahead of other teams because they know that this team has an interest in this guy and so forth. Heck, I’ve given you more information this year than ever. I said we’re emphasizing defense.”

Q: Is it more important this year than normal to get someone early who can help immediately?

PETERSON: “I don’t know if it’s more important than before. On paper, we haven’t lost a starting offensive or defensive player. They’re all under contract for this year. That was by design over a year ago.

“But can an impact player come in and replace one of our starters? Certainly. That’s why we draft each year. That would be true not only of a first round pick but a second or a third round pick. Last year we got a guy late in the fourth with our second fourth round pick, Jared Allen. The guy ends up being a starter for us.”

Q: Would you take an offensive player with the 15th pick?

PETERSON: “Yeah, if we felt real strong about it.”

Q: Any particular position?

PETERSON: “Why don’t you guess. We need an impact player. We want to try and acquire one if we can if he plays a position that will help us win.”

Q: This draft has been described often as a very deep draft but not an impact one?

PETERSON: “Every draft is distinctly different. This one is very unique in that there is an awful lot of difference of opinion of who the impact players are, who are the top ten players, who are the top 15 players?”

LYNN STILES: “As you go down the roster and look for an impact player that’s what we’re looking for. But the key is can you get him on the field of play regardless if he’s an impact player? Some of them come at different positions. We think Samie Parker would have made a profound difference as far as our receiving corps had he been able to play earlier. But circumstances didn’t allow it. Kris Wilson didn’t get on the field. Why? He was injured. Things do happen.”

Q: As you look at your specific needs and you see those ‘tweeners who can play defensive line or linebacker, do you see them as pass rushers/defensive ends or linebackers?

STILES: “More teams are going to a three-four (defensive alignment) concept, so those ‘tweeners become more valuable than a defensive end may be to us (as a four-three team). The three-four concept gives you an opportunity to draft a guy that’s a ‘tweener to drop into coverage and still come off the edge – a two-in-one type of player. In our particular case, the question is can a ‘tweener hold up as a true defensive end against the run. That’s a big question mark. Those guys become more situation players, designated pass rushers.”

Q: When it comes to the first or second round how do you measure productivity versus potential when you’re judging a player?

PETERSON: “Good question. Personally, I look at production. You still have to go back and see how they played in the game, with their pads on, albeit it’s not the NFL, but it’s football. I’m always a little concerned that you can get too high on the measurables – the guys who are great athletes out of their pads, who burn up the times and jumps and shuttles. I think you still have to go back and evaluate the production: were they productive, were they productive not just their senior year but previous to that. I think that has a lot of impact in my analysis.”

STILES: “I think all of us are really trying to focus on those players who can come in a play right away. Given the opportunity, that’s the guy you want. Sometimes you have to project.”

Q: How do you project a player (like PacMan) who is 5'9"?

PETERSON: “Size is important but I don’t think it the absolute reason for rejecting somebody. We had a guy with this franchise who was about the same size and played a long time and played very well. He’s coaching now in the National Football League. Kevin Ross.

“We’re not going to reject a guy just because he’s maybe not as tall as everyone would like, particularly if he is a very, very productive football player.”

Q: Do you think that maybe because you may have drafted a guy on potential instead of productivity is why a Ryan Sims or a Junior Siavii or Eddie Freeman didn’t work out?

PETERSON: “Sims and Siavii are still on our football team. Specific to that, it’s where you are picking in the round. I think everybody is more likely to take a chance on a player who has a little more potential later in the round than they would early in the round. Sometimes that happens.

“I would respectfully disagree that Siavi and Ryan Sims are busts. One is starting and the other is just starting his second year. I’d like to see how they do in the next couple of years. But potential can get you into trouble. I think you have to weigh the plusses and minuses and what the investment is and what you might not be able to get.

“Dale Carter was the 25th pick and probably the most talented cornerback I’ve ever seen in my life. Played here seven years, played in Pro Bowls, but has not finished his career well. He was a late round draft choice in the first round so you can take a chance. Randy Moss was the same way. There are reasons sometimes why they fall where they do.”

Q: How much priority are you placing on linebacker with the injuries to your current linebacker corps?

PETERSON: “The first unrestricted free agent we signed was Kendrell Bell, a linebacker. I think that answers your question. We addressed it. Are we going to continue to? Yes. I’m a lot more optimistic about the recovery from injuries because I hear it from our doctors and trainers every day specific to those guys who have had surgery. I think they’re all good football players.

“Is it a position that we would still like to improve the quality? Absolutely. We addressed it last year and the year before with Kawika Mitchell and Keyaron Fox. We haven’t seen Fox play yet from the line of scrimmage in a regular season game. Hopefully, he’ll get that chance this year. Kawika Mitchell, while I’m sure there may be some differences of opinion here, we felt that the last four or five games the light started to come on for him. He started to be the player we hoped he would be.

shaneo69
04-20-2005, 08:19 PM
Cool......so if they get Surtain, they will still look to draft a CB/S.

Tribal Warfare
04-20-2005, 08:25 PM
So Carl will draft the BAA DJ , Merriman if they slip and or the safe pick Carlos Rogers

TEX
04-20-2005, 11:39 PM
“If we don’t do anymore at this time I’m satisfied with what we were able to do. You can’t do everything that you want. You only have so much cap and cash dollars and it has to be something that’s amenable to the people you’re dealing with. But we have continuing options beyond this draft specific to veteran players.”

When you stand pat by re-signing all your crappy _efensive players who made up the worst defense in the NFL over a 3 -year span, you need too much to fix in one year - :shake:

Woodrow Call
04-20-2005, 11:43 PM
Quick question for the guys that listened to it live. I was at work. Did Carl really say this:

"What fans are you talking about? You know something? We have 72,000 season ticket holders. We've renewed 95% of those people again this year. I haven't had a letter or a fax or a phone call from any of those people. And I haven't, honest to goodness, I haven't had any letters from outside of that, if you want to say, sphere of people who I consider real Kansas City Chiefs fans, cause they step up each year and put their money down and say I'm here to see the Chiefs. So, candidly? The criticism comes from some of the media."

If so I guess am not a real Chiefs fan :cuss:

Taco John
04-21-2005, 12:24 AM
The Chiefs publically point fingers at the media more than any organization I've ever witnessed in pro sports...

crossbow
04-21-2005, 12:28 AM
Quick question for the guys that listened to it live. I was at work. Did Carl really say this:

"What fans are you talking about? You know something? We have 72,000 season ticket holders. We've renewed 95% of those people again this year. I haven't had a letter or a fax or a phone call from any of those people. And I haven't, honest to goodness, I haven't had any letters from outside of that, if you want to say, sphere of people who I consider real Kansas City Chiefs fans, cause they step up each year and put their money down and say I'm here to see the Chiefs. So, candidly? The criticism comes from some of the media."

If so I guess am not a real Chiefs fan :cuss:

Yep, he said it. I heard it on the radio while I was at Burger King. I looked over at Arrowhead and thought I saw a mushroom cloud but It was over Lawrence, KS - left over from the NCAA basketball tournement.

philfree
04-21-2005, 12:45 AM
Heck just go here and watch it! (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/04/20/access_arrowheads_2005_nfl_draft_preview/)

It's only 53 minutes long :shrug:

PhilFree:arrow:

Woodrow Call
04-21-2005, 12:49 AM
Heck just go here and watch it! (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/04/20/access_arrowheads_2005_nfl_draft_preview/)

It's only 53 minutes long :shrug:

PhilFree:arrow:

I didn't know they had the video; I just assumed it was the transcript only. Thanks for the heads up.

If it was a snake it would have bit me.

Gravedigger
04-21-2005, 01:57 AM
I think that if we get surtain we need to trade up and get johnson then get our third and write it off as a good day.

beer bacon
04-21-2005, 01:58 AM
I think that if we get surtain we need to trade up and get johnson then get our third and write it off as a good day.

What exactly would we use to trade up for DJ? Are you assuming that if we get Surtain we won't have to trade the 2nd?

Otter
04-21-2005, 02:15 AM
Allow me to paraphrase without even reading the article:

• The Chiefs are doing everything possible in both the interest of the fans and the team to field the best players to get a gosh darn winning season together.
• It’s the Dolphins fault we didn’t sign Surtain but darnit, we’ll make up for him in the draft if we don’t sign him. (-just look at the past years to back that one up-)
• We have a plan an we’ll field a competitive team next season. We’ll do our best.

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH BLAH…

Kiss my balloon knot Peterson, you’re a L-O-S-E-R when it comes to winning the big games.

bringbackmarty
04-21-2005, 02:36 AM
hardcore..............

CoMoChief
04-21-2005, 03:03 AM
I hate to be the party pooper here but for some reason, some of the things im reading, Im getting the feeling that the front office is gonna **** up this draft early. I feel that were not gonna get Surtain, were gonna draft a corner with our 15th pick, and then were gonna count on a rookie and Warfield/Bartee depending on Warfields suspension if he gets one. Our pass defense will be the same as last year. Prepare for the worst, because based on recent history, Carl will **** this up.

CoMoChief
04-21-2005, 03:07 AM
No way we get DJ. We have nothing to give unless we give up a first rounder next yr.

ROYC75
04-21-2005, 08:57 AM
What's with all of this gloom and doom ? One would think it's been over 35 years since we won a Super Bowl . :rolleyes:

the Talking Can
04-21-2005, 09:01 AM

PETERSON: “I do not want to give up our second draft choice, no. We feel that we can draft a very good football player in the second round at the 46th pick. That’s where I’ve been from the beginning with this thing.”
----------------------------

can you draft a 3 time probowl CB? you ****ing asshole...

Duck Dog
04-21-2005, 09:02 AM
PETERSON: “I think the obvious is that it would put a little less emphasis on drafting a cornerback. But I will tell you if we were to acquire Patrick Surtain before that – and I’ve had this discussion with (VP of player personnel) Lynn (Stiles) and Dick (Vermeil) I would still look very strongly at a secondary position: cornerback or a guy that’s got some versatility. It’s a need position but we don’t want to reach for it. We have to see what’s there on the 15th pick.”

Q: What guys excite you?

PETERSON: “Corners, safeties and linebackers and defensive linemen all have great merit for the first round. I just don’t like to talk about specifics until after we do it. I’ve been in this business long enough and I know what happens. Teams jump ahead of other teams because they know that this team has an interest in this guy and so forth. Heck, I’ve given you more information this year than ever. I said we’re emphasizing defense.”

Translation: I'm looking for a linebacker I can convert into a safety and a safety I can convert into a CB.
:rolleyes:

Michael Michigan
04-21-2005, 09:11 AM

----------------------------

can you draft a 3 time probowl CB? you ****ing asshole...

No sh!t. And who's "we?"

The same "we" that drafted Eddie Freeman?

Or William Bartee?

Weren't they second round picks?