PDA

View Full Version : Who is your LEAST favorite Royal of all time

siberian khatru
04-20-2005, 08:10 PM
Answering "The 2005 team" doesn't count. :D

I hated to watch Rich Gale pitch. Big guy who nibbled.

Kevin McReynolds was a complete ass.

Mark Davis. Jay Bell.

I never forgave Big John Mayberry for what he pulled in the 77 playoffs.

Who else?

Bob Dole
04-20-2005, 08:14 PM
It seemed like John Mayberry was always striking out at the worst possible time...

milkman
04-20-2005, 08:15 PM
Clint Hurdle

Deberg_1990
04-20-2005, 08:15 PM
Willie Aikens. Apparantly he played "stoned" most of the time.

tk13
04-20-2005, 08:16 PM
Neifi f***ing Perez.

siberian khatru
04-20-2005, 08:17 PM
Aikens and Perez. I knew I was missing some obvious ones.

Reaper16
04-20-2005, 08:18 PM
At this point in time, I just might say Jose Lima.

Bowser
04-20-2005, 08:20 PM
JOHNNY DAMON!!!!

He threw like a girl then, he throws like a girl now.......

Reaper16
04-20-2005, 08:27 PM
And judging by his new book, has no respect for girls.

OmahaChief
04-20-2005, 08:29 PM
It would have to be that piece of crap Neifi Perez or Mark Davis.

Boozer
04-20-2005, 08:34 PM
Chico Lind.

jcroft
04-20-2005, 08:39 PM
Well, some of mine have already been named, so I toss out another Royal I hated, even though he probably would top my list: Michael Tucker.

siberian khatru
04-20-2005, 08:40 PM
Chico Lind.

Another good one. :thumb:

Sure-Oz
04-20-2005, 08:44 PM
Chico Lind had multiple talents though, he could drive with just a shirt on and nothing else and play defense!!

Sure-Oz
04-20-2005, 08:45 PM
Juan Gone is another, ****ing pussy

Deberg_1990
04-20-2005, 08:49 PM
wheres the hate for Ed Hearn? Worst trade ever.

KevB
04-20-2005, 08:50 PM
Wow, this could be a very long list. My two would be Neifi F'ing Perez and Juan "was always" Gone.

Another name that will probably draw some dry heaves from some of you is Kevin McReynolds.

HemiEd
04-20-2005, 08:57 PM
Wow, this could be a very long list. My two would be Neifi F'ing Perez and Juan "was always" Gone.

Another name that will probably draw some dry heaves from some of you is Kevin McReynolds.

Those are my two, didn't the Royals pay Juan Gonzalez about $400,000 per at bat? Perez was a puss. :cuss: Also, back in the 70s they traded for a catcher with the last name of Brown that pissed me off. If he had have worked out we would have had White, Brown, Blue, Gray and Black all on the team!

Cochise
04-20-2005, 09:27 PM
Dave McCarty

ChiTown
04-20-2005, 09:28 PM
It's a tie, so I'll go with Nefi Lind......

Woodrow Call
04-20-2005, 09:58 PM
David Howard/Terry Shumpert

SCTrojan
04-20-2005, 10:07 PM
Gotta be Juan Gone. Darrell May is a close second.

nychief
04-20-2005, 10:09 PM
juan gone

WilliamTheIrish
04-21-2005, 03:54 AM
My least favorite Royal?

Darrell Porter. Game 1 1980 World Series in Philly. Royals come out of the gate fast with a two run bomb by AO and Aikens mashing a solo shot.

Porter was at second base twice in that game and rounded third base to come home on singles.

Both resulted in plays at the plate where Porter came around third base like he was sneaking into bed with the gardeners wife and let Bob Boone tag him out. Just stopped dead 3 feet from the plate. Both times.

Any big leaguer with any pride in his game at all would have buried Boone at the plate. Just crushed him.

We lost game 1, 7-6.

*edit* It was not twice in game one. It was once in game 1 and once in the most critical game in Royals history (to that point) Game 5. Porter got thrown out at home trying to score from 1st on a 2b by Wilson. Mcbride to Trillo to Boone.

RedDread
04-21-2005, 05:55 AM
Mark Teahan

siberian khatru
04-21-2005, 06:07 AM
My least favorite Royal?

Darrell Porter. Game 1 1980 World Series in Philly. Royals come out of the gate fast with a two run bomb by AO and Aikens mashing a solo shot.

Porter was at second base twice in that game and rounded third base to come home on singles.

Both resulted in plays at the plate where Porter came around third base like he was sneaking into bed with the gardeners wife and let Bob Boone tag him out. Just stopped dead 3 feet from the plate. Both times.

Any big leaguer with any pride in his game at all would have buried Boone at the plate. Just crushed him.

We lost game 1, 7-6.

*edit* It was not twice in game one. It was once in game 1 and once in the most critical game in Royals history (to that point) Game 5. Porter got thrown out at home trying to score from 1st on a 2b by Wilson. Mcbride to Trillo to Boone.

Sobriety made him timid.

Dartgod
04-21-2005, 06:39 AM
I never forgave Big John Mayberry for what he pulled in the 77 playoffs.
Refresh my memory please.

WilliamTheIrish
04-21-2005, 08:21 AM
Refresh my memory please.

Dropped pop-up in game 4. Critical play. The Royals had trouble that whole damn series getting Mickey Rivers out. IN this situation, Gura fooled him and got him to pop out behind first. Mayberry bungled it. Rivers I believe grounded out, but moved a runner who eventually scored.
The big fat **** also struck out twice - once with the bases loaded - and Whitey yanked him from the game in the 4th.

Claimed he had a toothache. Whitey said he was drunk.

The Royals traded him to Toronto for a couple hot dogs and piece of fence that protects the pitcher during batting practice that off season.

alpha_omega
04-21-2005, 08:39 AM
Mark Davis

Mark M
04-21-2005, 08:41 AM
Mike Sweeney, followed closely by Darrell Porter and the Davis twins.

MM
~~:cuss:

siberian khatru
04-21-2005, 08:49 AM
Claimed he had a toothache. Whitey said he was drunk.

The Royals traded him to Toronto for a couple hot dogs and piece of fence that protects the pitcher during batting practice that off season.

Big John's homies were in town the night before and he was out partying with them. IIRC, Whitey never said he was drunk, he just said something like "God knows what he was on," implying he may have been doing harder stuff.

And it was worse than trading him to Toronto -- we sold him, for cash, right before Opening Day, because Whitey told Burke that either Mayberry went or he went. Knowing the Kauffmans' antipathy to Whitey, I'm surprised Burke didn't fire the Rat.

Edubs
04-21-2005, 08:55 AM
I got a good one.......Albie Lopez!!!! Man that dude sucked a big one. I remember when they anounced after the game I believe it was against the A's that he got canned. Everyone that was left at the K started clapping and yelling Weeeheeew!!

WilliamTheIrish
04-21-2005, 08:56 AM
Big John's homies were in town the night before and he was out partying with them. IIRC, Whitey never said he was drunk, he just said something like "God knows what he was on," implying he may have been doing harder stuff.

And it was worse than trading him to Toronto -- we sold him, for cash, right before Opening Day, because Whitey told Burke that either Mayberry went or he went. Knowing the Kauffmans' antipathy to Whitey, I'm surprised Burke didn't fire the Rat.

I may have to go the library archives to find it, but I'm pretty certain Whitey let fly with the "He was drunk... or worse" quote in the local rag.

I knew after the series Mayberry was done with this franchise.

siberian khatru
04-21-2005, 09:01 AM
I may have to go the library archives to find it, but I'm pretty certain Whitey let fly with the "He was drunk... or worse" quote in the local rag.

I knew after the series Mayberry was done with this franchise.

I'm going by memory on what he said in his book, "The White Rat." I think I've still got it at home, but alas, I'm at the office right now.

WilliamTheIrish
04-21-2005, 09:04 AM
I'm going by memory on what he said in his book, "The White Rat." I think I've still got it at home, but alas, I'm at the office right now.

I'll never forgt the day I read the quote from AO when asked about the nicknames of players on the team.

When he called Herzog The White Rat, I damn near died. As I recall, there was no love lost betwen AO and Whitey.

Coogs
04-21-2005, 09:07 AM
Juan Gone.

The bat throwing incident last spring was the clincher for me. Easily JG!

And the hefty salary to sit by the pool in Arizona or where ever the heck he was.

cmh6476
04-21-2005, 09:30 AM
chuck knoblauch

WilliamTheIrish
04-21-2005, 11:27 AM
Another guy who sits atop the most hated Royals is Doug Bird.

In the 78 playoffs game 3 at the MF'n Yankee Stadium.
Brett who had homered in his first 3 AB's off of Catfish (and drove Blair to the CF wall with his 4th drive off Gossage in the 7th) had given the Royals the lead each time.
But the bastard Yankees kept coming back, eventually taking the lead in the 6th on two singles and a SF, 4-3
Then they brought in Gossage to close it.

But the Royals refused to go quietly. In the 8th AO doubled to RF and Porter singled to LF. Tie game. Then a FC grounder moves Porter to 3rd. He scores on Hurdle's single to CF.

I'm going nuts now, cause if we hold this lead the series would be 2-1 Royals and we'd get to smack Ed Figeuroa around in Game 5. (Unless we beat Guidry in Game 4.)
The Yankees and their comeback from the dead to overtake the Red Sox, the Bucky Dent HR to beat them, it would all be for naught. I was just going nuts.

Then Whitey Herzog tipped the hand of fate.

After Split got one out in the 8th, Roy White singles. Whitey goes to the pen and gets (OH no!! Not Doug Bird. F***!! No!! NOT HIM!! 5.29 ERA!!!) That hack couldn't get anybody out all year and he brings him in to face Thurman Munson?

Munson had not hit a HR in 3 months due to a messed up shoulder. But sure enough, Bird serves up a beach ball and Munson hit 430 feet... into the mf'n Yankee monuments.

I hate Doug Bird.

ENDelt260
04-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Juan Gone is another, ****ing pussy
F*ck Juan Gone. F*ck him in his stupid ass. I pray that next year some team that plays in the Cactus League signs him so I can go to ST games, get hammered, and heckle the shit out of him.

Ari Chi3fs
04-21-2005, 12:01 PM
my least favorite person in teh Royals Org is the one who gave the go-ahead to fire John Schuerholz. Fugg that guy whoever said to fire John. Damnit.

ENDelt260
04-21-2005, 12:08 PM
Oh, and f*ck Nick Swartz.

kc rush
04-21-2005, 12:17 PM
I'm sure that he was a nice guy, but I couldn't stand Jim Pittsley. I was so sick of watching him give up home runs.

siberian khatru
04-21-2005, 12:23 PM
Another guy who sits atop the most hated Royals is Doug Bird.

In the 78 playoffs game 3 at the MF'n Yankee Stadium.
Brett who had homered in his first 3 AB's off of Catfish (and drove Blair to the CF wall with his 4th drive off Gossage in the 7th) had given the Royals the lead each time.
But the bastard Yankees kept coming back, eventually taking the lead in the 6th on two singles and a SF, 4-3
Then they brought in Gossage to close it.

But the Royals refused to go quietly. In the 8th AO doubled to RF and Porter singled to LF. Tie game. Then a FC grounder moves Porter to 3rd. He scores on Hurdle's single to CF.

I'm going nuts now, cause if we hold this lead the series would be 2-1 Royals and we'd get to smack Ed Figeuroa around in Game 5. (Unless we beat Guidry in Game 4.)
The Yankees and their comeback from the dead to overtake the Red Sox, the Bucky Dent HR to beat them, it would all be for naught. I was just going nuts.

Then Whitey Herzog tipped the hand of fate.

After Split got one out in the 8th, Roy White singles. Whitey goes to the pen and gets (OH no!! Not Doug Bird. F***!! No!! NOT HIM!! 5.29 ERA!!!) That hack couldn't get anybody out all year and he brings him in to face Thurman Munson?

Munson had not hit a HR in 3 months due to a messed up shoulder. But sure enough, Bird serves up a beach ball and Munson hit 430 feet... into the mf'n Yankee monuments.

I hate Doug Bird.

I blamed Whitey for that the moment it happened, and I still do. Bird had no business being in a playoff game that year.

Another thing in that game: Remember Piniella getting thrown out at the plate and erupting in a typical Lou tirade? Replays showed that when he slid, his leg bounced up and never touched the plate before Porter tagged him. It was the correct call. But Lou went apeshit.

In Game 4, the same ump blew a call at 3B when Wilson, pinch-running, stole third. Replays showed he was safe.

Also in Game 4, in the first inning Brett faced Guidry and damn near hit another HR. I think he tripled off the wall, can't remember. I also remember Cosell saying "You know, Leonard has pitched a very good game so far" -- next pitch to Roy White: BOOM. Home run.

Old Dog
04-21-2005, 12:24 PM
Bo Jackson is quite possibly the biggest jerk I ever met.

WilliamTheIrish
04-21-2005, 08:04 PM
I blamed Whitey for that the moment it happened, and I still do. Bird had no business being in a playoff game that year.

Another thing in that game: Remember Piniella getting thrown out at the plate and erupting in a typical Lou tirade? Replays showed that when he slid, his leg bounced up and never touched the plate before Porter tagged him. It was the correct call. But Lou went apeshit.

In Game 4, the same ump blew a call at 3B when Wilson, pinch-running, stole third. Replays showed he was safe.

Also in Game 4, in the first inning Brett faced Guidry and damn near hit another HR. I think he tripled off the wall, can't remember. I also remember Cosell saying "You know, Leonard has pitched a very good game so far" -- next pitch to Roy White: BOOM. Home run.

Yup, in game 4 Brett led off with a triple that hit wall in CF. Very nearly another HR. Mac sent a single through Guidry's legs to score the first run.
As far as blown calls go I remember well the Wilson incident. To this day it p*sses me off. Another missed call -again in Yankee stadium- was in the 9th inning of game 5 of the 76 ALCS. The Royals rallied in the 9th off Dirt Tidrow.
Rojas and Patek grounded out. Somebody singled (Maybe Buck Martinez.) and Cowens walked. Wohlford then hit a grounder that forced Cowens. But on replay Cowens beat the throw by 3 feet. It was a horrible call. And Brett would have batted in the 9th had the correct call been made.
I think that ump was Joe Brinkman. To this day he's still a shiot ump.

PunkinDrublic
04-21-2005, 08:34 PM
Mark and Storm Davis in 1989. These two signings were supposed to put us into the post season. A lot of people point to the Ed Hearn for David Cone trade as the worst move ever by the franchise and rightfully so. But there was so much buzz around these signings at the time and these guys were total disasters. Neifi Perez was also a disaster. Juan Gonzalez was a complete waste of time.

Deberg_1990
04-21-2005, 09:18 PM
Mark and Storm Davis in 1989. These two signings were supposed to put us into the post season. A lot of people point to the Ed Hearn for David Cone trade as the worst move ever by the franchise and rightfully so. But there was so much buzz around these signings at the time and these guys were total disasters. Neifi Perez was also a disaster. Juan Gonzalez was a complete waste of time.

I remember Mark Davis, he was the reliever that won the Cy Young the previous season with the Giants right? Then we signed him to a huge contract. But who was Storm Davis? what position did he play? I remember the name, but thats about it.

PunkinDrublic
04-21-2005, 09:30 PM
I remember Mark Davis, he was the reliever that won the Cy Young the previous season with the Giants right? Then we signed him to a huge contract. But who was Storm Davis? what position did he play? I remember the name, but thats about it.

I can't remember where Storm Davis came from but I remember him failing to meet expectations big time.

SCTrojan
04-21-2005, 09:35 PM

Storm Davis was a pitcher. Came out of the Baltimore organization originally.

siberian khatru
04-21-2005, 09:41 PM
Storm Davis was a FA from Oakland who won 17 games the previous year pitching like crap for 5-6 innings and getting bailed out by a good A's offense and a GREAT bullpen. It was a dumb signing that everybody with half a brain knew wasn't going to pan out. Schuerholz was blinded by Storm's W-L record and ignored all the other signs that showed he was a mediocre pitcher at best.

I interviewed him right after he signed with KC; he was in town to give a speech to -- get this -- the local chapter of the John Birch Society. He was a big John Bircher.

Deberg_1990
04-21-2005, 09:44 PM
Storm Davis was a FA from Oakland who won 17 games the previous year pitching like crap for 5-6 innings and getting bailed out by a good A's offense and a GREAT bullpen. It was a dumb signing that everybody with half a brain knew wasn't going to pan out. Schuerholz was blinded by Storm's W-L record and ignored all the other signs that showed he was a mediocre pitcher at best.

What was Schuerholz thinking by signing Mark and Storm Davis?????

Cochise
04-21-2005, 09:46 PM
Really, if you look back, it was the end of the Schuerholtz era that began the drive into the ground. granted, I'm not old enough to remember much before the late 80s-early 90s, but you always read about the talent they had brewing in the minors all those years in the 70s and 80s. You weren't basically the Yankees' competition for a decade with free-agent signings. Brett, White, Saberhagen, those were all farm system guys.

Now since it's impossible for smaller markets to compete, you have to be very successful in the draft and with player development to keep up. The Royals simply haven't. Not all that rests on the current administration, but on the priors too. There are a whole lot of Mike Stodolkas and Jeff Austins and Jim Pittsleys and Colt Griffins and Dee Browns and Joe Vitiellos... well, you get the point. A lot of those crapsacks and not enough Zack Greinkes.

Deberg_1990
04-21-2005, 09:49 PM
Now since it's impossible for smaller markets to compete, you have to be very successful in the draft and with player development to keep up. The Royals simply haven't. Not all that rests on the current administration, but on the priors too. There are a whole lot of Mike Stodolkas and Jeff Austins and Jim Pittsleys and Colt Griffins and Dee Browns and Joe Vitiellos... well, you get the point. A lot of those crapsacks and not enough Zack Greinkes.

Very good point. We did develop Damon, Beltran and Sweeney. Unfortunately, we didnt develop any pitchers when we had a nice hitting squad back in the late 1990's. Pitching has been this organizations "Achilles Heel" for more than a decade.

Cochise
04-21-2005, 09:50 PM
What was Schuerholz thinking by signing Mark and Storm Davis?????

The cupboard was bare by then, and Kauffman was trying to load the payroll to win as his health was failing.

Simply throwing money at free agents left and right doesn't work. It might work today on a gigantic scale but not in moderation. They were among the highest payrolls in the early 90s a few years but only were winning in 94.

The Storm Davis signing and the Cone trade mar Schuerholz's legacy, but fact is he had the team competing for so many years, won a WS, then left for Atlanta who's now won 567 division titles in a row, and we've been twirling down the crapper ever since.

Cochise
04-21-2005, 09:53 PM
Very good point. We did develop Damon, Beltran and Sweeney. Unfortunately, we didnt develop any pitchers when we had a nice hitting squad back in the late 1990's. Pitching has been this organizations "Achilles Heel" for more than a decade.

When they were losing Offerman and Jay Bell and everyone there for a while, they were getting compensatory picks, and they picked all pitchers with all these high picks for a while it seemed. They ended up with Chris George and Kyle Snyder and Jimmy Gobble and Mike MacDougal, guys like that, probably people who will bounce between the majors and minors for their careers. Not necessarily bad picks but just a bad run of having pitchers turn out. But most of them don't.

Makes you think about the barren wasteland that is the Royals' lineup today. There is pitching talent in the system, but those years of neglecting the bats took their toll.

siberian khatru
04-21-2005, 09:53 PM
The cupboard was bare by then, and Kauffman was trying to load the payroll to win as his health was failing.

Simply throwing money at free agents left and right doesn't work. It might work today on a gigantic scale but not in moderation. They were among the highest payrolls in the early 90s a few years but only were winning in 94.

The Storm Davis signing and the Cone trade mar Schuerholz's legacy, but fact is he had the team competing for so many years, won a WS, then left for Atlanta who's now won 567 division titles in a row, and we've been twirling down the crapper ever since.

What's funny is the first thing he did when he got to Atlanta is he started signing medicore vets like Sid Bream, just like he did in KC. I laughed and said, "Enjoy this crap, Braves fans." Well damn if it didn't work out a heckuva lot better there.

'Course, it helped to have Glavine, Smoltz and Avery already onboard ready to take the next step up. But still, those kinds of signings panned out better for Atlanta than they did for KC. Schuerholz has made his rep with Atlanta, even though he spent the first 20 years of his career helping to build a very good KC franchise.

Cochise
04-21-2005, 09:57 PM
What's funny is the first thing he did when he got to Atlanta is he started signing medicore vets like Sid Bream, just like he did in KC. I laughed and said, "Enjoy this crap, Braves fans." Well damn if it didn't work out a heckuva lot better there.

'Course, it helped to have Glavine, Smoltz and Avery already onboard ready to take the next step up. But still, those kinds of signings panned out better for Atlanta than they did for KC. Schuerholz has made his rep with Atlanta, even though he spent the first 20 years of his career helping to build a very good KC franchise.

Hell, I'm not a Baird hater, but I'd donate several toes for him to come back here and straighten the team out.

siberian khatru
04-21-2005, 10:03 PM
Hell, I'm not a Baird hater, but I'd donate several toes for him to come back here and straighten the team out.

John did real well until his last few years in KC. Like you said, he kind of lost his way when he tried to buy Mr. K a title in his twilight years.\

Let's not forget that the core of the great Royals teams of the 70s and early 80s was built by Mr. Cedric Tallis, the GM until, I think, 1976. He had good drafts and made some brilliantly shrewd trades. Joe Burke took over and kept things going nicely and handed off to Schuerholz, but those Brett-White-McRae-Otis-Patek-Wilson teams were created with Tallis at the helm, plus IIRC Lou Gorman running the minor league operation.

big nasty kcnut
04-21-2005, 10:03 PM
I hated any royals that didn't play his hart out.

Cochise
04-21-2005, 10:08 PM
Mark Teahan

I missed this the first time through the thread... but seriously... ??? :shake: :rolleyes: