PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins, Chiefs running out of time to get trade done

raypec85
04-20-2005, 09:45 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/11446127.htm

Dolphins, Chiefs running out of time to get trade done

By JASON COLE and ARMANDO SALGUERO

Miami Herald

MIAMI - If the Dolphins can't get the quarterback they want with the No. 2 overall pick in the NFL draft, they might take the wide receiver everybody else seems to want. At least that's the message the Dolphins were sending to teams interested in Michigan wide receiver Braylon Edwards, said a source who spoke with coach Nick Saban.

In addition, the Dolphins reiterated their message to Kansas City that there will be no bargain trade for cornerback Patrick Surtain after seeing Houston deal second- and third-round picks to Oakland for cornerback Philip Buchanon.

The Dolphins contacted the Chiefs again Wednesday to say they want at least a second-round pick for Surtain, a Pro Bowl player entering the final year of his contract. Even though Surtain's $8.4 million contract is a hardship for the cap-strapped Dolphins, Saban has said he will keep Surtain rather than give him up for the fourth-round pick Kansas City initially offered.

Chiefs president Carl Peterson countered by saying time was running out to get the deal completed. The Chiefs and Dolphins likely need to have an agreement in place by Thursday.

``We're running out of time to get it done for this particular draft,'' Peterson said during a news conference with the Kansas City media. ``It would necessitate coming to an agreement, getting him here to pass a physical, getting a contract signed and having it approved by the league and all that. It's not something that can be done on draft day.

``There are too many things that need to happen. If it doesn't happen, we're certainly going to go ahead and draft. Then the options for the next draft are available.''

Peterson went on to say he would ``prefer not to trade our second-round draft choice'' but didn't rule it out.

Saban was making similarly strong statements in NFL circles about Edwards if Utah quarterback Alex Smith, whom the Dolphins covet most, goes with the No. 1 overall pick to San Francisco.

FORCING A HAND?

Whether that is a sincere desire or a clever ruse designed to force Cleveland, Tampa Bay, Minnesota, Washington or any other team interested to trade up for Edwards, Saban is countering the popular idea going around the league that he will settle on a running back.

Most prognosticators have been saying for weeks that Saban will take running back Ronnie Brown of Auburn or Cedric Benson of Texas if forced to select at No. 2. Among the prognosticators appears to be Cleveland, which has the No. 3 overall pick and also wants Edwards or to trade down.

``Saban really wants to tell Cleveland off,'' a source said.

HIGHEST-RATED

Saban has said numerous times he will take the player rated highest on the team's draft board, regardless of position or need. Saban's belief is that a running back is not a good investment for a contract that could feature anywhere from $20 million to $25 million in guaranteed money at No. 2 overall.

All of this is part of what is becoming a mysterious draft among the top picks. As of Wednesday, most of the league felt confident that the 49ers would settle on Smith.

However, contract talks between agent Tom Condon, who represents Smith, and the 49ers were at a standstill. The major stumbling block was the amount of money Smith would receive in the final two years of a six-year deal. Condon, a hard-line negotiator, is pushing for a contract in line with the deal he got for 2004 No. 1 overall pick Eli Manning with the New York Giants.

49ERS' OPTIONS

The 49ers could go back to quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who has agreed to the basic parameters of a deal. Rodgers is likely to accept a deal at this point because there is a strong feeling around the NFL that Rodgers could slip a long way in the draft if he doesn't go in the top two.

The 49ers also could opt to take Edwards, although that seems unlikely at this point. The key in all of this for the Dolphins is to maximize their chance of trading out of the No. 2 overall slot.

Because the Dolphins don't have a second-round pick and have only two picks in the first three rounds, they would like to trade down. If they trade down and deal Surtain, the Dolphins could end up with at least four picks on the first day of the draft.

the Talking Can
04-20-2005, 09:50 PM
how in the world can you not give up a 2nd for a probowl CB when you have the worst pass D in the league?

explain please...

Chiefs Pantalones
04-20-2005, 09:51 PM
I heard Peterson earlier on the sports, and it sounds like he'll trade it.

He said, "If we trade for Surtain, he'd be here maximum 4 years, likely, he's 28 or 29. If we get a guy in the draft, he would play about 10 years, hopefully. Now what are the odds of us getting a guy like Surtain in the 2nd round? I don't know. I don't know if we would find a guy like that in the 2nd round."

The way he said it, it sounded like he's leaning toward giving it to them. He sounded like he was talking himself into it right there or something.

Deberg_1990
04-20-2005, 09:52 PM

He said, "If we trade for Surtain, he'd be here maximum 4 years, likely, he's 28 or 29. If we get a guy in the draft, he would play about 10 years, hopefully. Now what are the odds of us getting a guy like Surtain in the 2nd round? I don't know. I don't know if we would find a guy like that in the 2nd round."

The way he said it, it sounded like he's leaning toward giving it to them. He sounded like he was talking himself into it right there or something.

Wow, sounds like CP has been hanging around ChiefsPlant...has he finally "seen the light" ??

beer bacon
04-20-2005, 09:53 PM

Also, after reading the transcript, when Carl was asked about giving up a 2nd for Surtain he side stepped the question. All he said is that he would prefer not to give up a 2nd. He was just being obvious.

Sure-Oz
04-20-2005, 09:54 PM
They better give up that 2nd rounder to get him if it comes to it, we def. need him in the secondary.

KevB
04-20-2005, 09:56 PM

I really don't think it's just the 2nd round pick that's the problem. My guess is that Surtain is asking for the world in contract negotiations. He knows he only needs to play one more year to become a FA, and he saw the deals that were signed this off-season.

keg in kc
04-20-2005, 09:57 PM
CP was saying he didn't want to trade the second because he'd only get 3-4 years out of Surtain, instead of 10 years out of a draft pick.

It's interesting watching the dullfins and chiefs circle jerk all this posturing.

Frazod
04-20-2005, 09:59 PM
I still can't believe he hasn't pulled the trigger on this yet. It's inexcusable.

We need a stud in the secondary NOW. I figure our offense has one good year left before the wheels start to fall off. It's now or never.

SIGN HIM CARL YOU DOUCHE! 4321

Wile_E_Coyote
Peterson can make the trade & blame it on Houston

CosmicPal
how in the world can you not give up a 2nd for a probowl CB when you have the worst pass D in the league?

explain please...

Miami had one of the league's best defensive line? A defensive line that persistently puts pressure on the QB would make even Bartee an All-Pro.

HipHopper4Life
04-20-2005, 10:00 PM
In addition, the Dolphins reiterated their message to Kansas City that there will be no bargain trade for cornerback Patrick Surtain after seeing Houston deal second- and third-round picks to Oakland for cornerback Philip Buchanon.

But I thought this wasn't supposed to affect the Surtain deal? :rolleyes:

The Dolphins contacted the Chiefs again Wednesday to say they want at least a second-round pick for Surtain, a Pro Bowl player entering the final year of his contract.

Now it's AT LEAST a 2nd??

I sure the hell hope there is a plan B in case the Don't worry, Be Happy people are wrong.

htismaqe
04-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Do people still expect this to come to fruition prior to Friday night?

Have we forgotten Trent Green already?

CosmicPal
04-20-2005, 10:01 PM
CP was saying he didn't want to trade the second because he'd only get 3-4 years out of Surtain, instead of 10 years out of a draft pick.

That's BS- the average lifespan of an NFL player is something like 5 years.

TEX
04-20-2005, 10:04 PM

explain please...

Exactly! We WON"T but I bet someone else sure will :shake: This is just sooooo FKN STUPID especially when you consider what we have drafted in the 2nd under D.V. - Like we're all of a sudden going to get it right???? We're still F*CKING around with this while most of our divisional rivals are doing something. It NEVER should have come to this anyway as there were plenty of options early on in free agency. TYPICAL BS because of TOTAL JOB SECURITY! :shake:

Deberg_1990
04-20-2005, 10:04 PM
If Carl doesnt get this done and fails to aquire a "shutdown" CB in the offseason, he deserves to be run out of town. It would be unforgiveable and I dont see how the fanbase could stand for it???

Chiefs Pantalones
04-20-2005, 10:05 PM
That's BS- the average lifespan of an NFL player is something like 5 years.

Carl did say that he wasn't sure he'd get the same type of player in the 2nd round, so IMO, I think we are a couple days away from getting Surtain.

eazyb81
04-20-2005, 10:06 PM
Miami had one of the league's best defensive line? A defensive line that persistently puts pressure on the QB would make even Bartee an All-Pro.
I don't know why people just automatically assume that Miami's defensive line is so dominant and that ours sucks ass. Last year, Miami had a total of 36 sacks, while the Chiefs had a total of 40. If Miami puts pressure on the QB so much more, why wouldn't they have a lot more sacks?

The Bad Guy
04-20-2005, 10:06 PM
Carl Peterson said today that the Chiefs didn't want to trade the #2 because they COULD get a very good player there.

Seriously, just take common logic and reverse it and then you can understand the Chiefs.

The Chiefs act like they are an upper-echelon team, but they are shit. They act like teams and players have to adhere to their standards and garbage proposals because there is so much prestige in playing for the Chiefs.

When Carl Peterson said on Monday night that the Dolphins have to realize the appropriate value in a trade, it signaled to me that it wasn't getting done.

The Chiefs have to start being realistic. If a Pro Bowl corner who is relatively young isn't worth a 2nd rounder in their eyes, then who is?

I know it's apples and oranges, but I don't know how you can give up a 3rd and a 5th for John Welbourn and ask him to switch positions, but you can't give up a 2nd for one of the best CBs in the NFL when that's been a HUGE need for several years now.

If this doesn't happen by Friday then I hope there is enough people with balls on Saturday to boo him and not kiss ass at the Draft party on Saturday.

The Bad Guy
04-20-2005, 10:08 PM

This statement is more of a reach than Carl Peterson's draft picks.

CosmicPal
04-20-2005, 10:12 PM
They act like teams and players have to adhere to their standards and garbage proposals because there is so much prestige in playing for the Chiefs.

It has EVERYTHING to do with Saban being a rookie coach and Peterson being a vetern NFL negotiator. Peterson does NOT want to lose to a rookie coach. That's why you have this BS between him and Miami. Had Saban been in the league for as many years as Peterson, they would have secured the trade a LONG time ago.

But, the fact is Peterson doesn't want to be a laughingstock to the rest of the league should he budge on his original demands. It's nothing more than an ego-trip.

The Bad Guy
04-20-2005, 10:16 PM
It has EVERYTHING to do with Saban being a rookie coach and Peterson being a vetern NFL negotiator. Peterson does NOT want to lose to a rookie coach. That's why you have this BS between him and Miami. Had Saban been in the league for as many years as Peterson, they would have secured the trade a LONG time ago.

But, the fact is Peterson doesn't want to be a laughingstock to the rest of the league should he budge on his original demands.

Yeah, a laughingstock for trading a #2 for a Pro Bowl corner when you have the worst pass defense in the NFL.

Peterson didn't make a single demand, all he did was offer a garbage 4th rounder for a great player.

Now something like that makes him a laughingstock. Trading a 3rd and a 5th for a below-average OT, above-average G is a laughingstock.

Trading your 2nd rounder when you can't draft for shit anyway is smart.

This has nothing to with Saban being a rookie GM and everything to do with Carl Peterson's self-image of being a tough negotiator.

So far, his tough negotations have caused him to miss out on Samari Rolle, I'd put my money on another swing and miss with Surtain.

TEX
04-20-2005, 10:17 PM
Carl Peterson said today that the Chiefs didn't want to trade the #2 because they COULD get a very good player there.

Seriously, just take common logic and reverse it and then you can understand the Chiefs.

The Chiefs act like they are an upper-echelon team, but they are shit. They act like teams and players have to adhere to their standards and garbage proposals because there is so much prestige in playing for the Chiefs.

When Carl Peterson said on Monday night that the Dolphins have to realize the appropriate value in a trade, it signaled to me that it wasn't getting done.

The Chiefs have to start being realistic. If a Pro Bowl corner who is relatively young isn't worth a 2nd rounder in their eyes, then who is?

Eddie Freeman, Kawika Mitchell, Junior Saivi, Chris Wilson - etc... ROFL

nychief
04-20-2005, 10:19 PM
They will get this done with a stupid late rnd draft pick - to save face. CP did the same thing with Trent Green - we where NEVER going to give up a 1st rd draft pick, Never. They the Rams threw in a like a freakin' 6th rd. pick and we finished the deal. We will give up the 2nd and get the rights to Surtain and a 7th rd. pick in 2006 - or something stupid!

Chiefs Pantalones
04-20-2005, 10:19 PM
I hate that CP is playin a game inside the game, and he does this all the time. He's putting his pride, and his ego, infront of the Chiefs-what really matters.

The Bad Guy
04-20-2005, 10:20 PM
Eddie Freeman, Kawika Mitchell, Junior Saivi, Chris Wilson - etc... ROFL

Mike Cloud, Rashaan Sheehee..

The sad thing is, Peterson actually had the balls to bring up Grundhard as a great 2nd round pick today when the press started flaming him.

That god damn pick was 12 years ago. This ****ing organization hangs on to the 90s more than VH1.

keg in kc
04-20-2005, 10:21 PM

I know it's apples and oranges, but I don't know how you can give up a 3rd and a 5th for John Welbourn and ask him to switch positions, but you can't give up a 2nd for one of the best CBs in the NFL when that's been a HUGE need for several years now.I've been wondering if he's trying to work it for a conditional package involving next year. When he started talking about not getting done *this* draft, I thought it might be a sign that's the case. I still think the issue with trading this year's second is that we think we need it right now in addition to Surtain, rather than instead of.

We'll see. I won't be happy if it's not done Friday night as I've expected all along, but I won't be completely ballistic until it's a total certainty that Surtain won't be in a KC jersey in '05.

CosmicPal
04-20-2005, 10:23 PM
Yeah, a laughingstock for trading a #2 for a Pro Bowl corner when you have the worst pass defense in the NFL.

Peterson didn't make a single demand, all he did was offer a garbage 4th rounder for a great player.

Now something like that makes him a laughingstock. Trading a 3rd and a 5th for a below-average OT, above-average G is a laughingstock.

Trading your 2nd rounder when you can't draft for shit anyway is smart.

This has nothing to with Saban being a rookie GM and everything to do with Carl Peterson's self-image of being a tough negotiator.

So far, his tough negotations have caused him to miss out on Samari Rolle, I'd put my money on another swing and miss with Surtain.

Bad Guy- I agree with you. I'm not saying he'd be a "laughingstock" if he traded away the 2nd round for I think he SHOULD trade the 2nd if that's what it's going to take.

I'm just saying he's already put up his offer and since Saban won't budge, then Peterson won't budge- for if he does- he'll be considered the GM that lost out to a rookie head coach.

KevB
04-20-2005, 10:24 PM

The sad thing is, Peterson actually had the balls to bring up Grundhard as a great 2nd round pick today when the press started flaming him.

That god damn pick was 12 years ago. This ****ing organization hangs on to the 90s more than VH1.

Actually, 15 years ago. :banghead:

ARROW2
04-20-2005, 10:26 PM
Oh yeah? How would you feel if Al Davis swoops in and gives up a high pick for Surtain? Do you think Al would care about losing out to a rookie coach? DO THE ****IN DEAL!!!!!!!

The Bad Guy
04-20-2005, 10:26 PM
Bad Guy- I agree with you. I'm not saying he'd be a "laughingstock" if he traded away the 2nd round for I think he SHOULD trade the 2nd if that's what it's going to take.

I'm just saying he's already put up his offer and since Saban won't budge, then Peterson won't budge- for if he does- he'll be considered the GM that lost out to a rookie head coach.

I'm not arguing with you, I actually believe your premise, I'm arguing with Carl Peterson's garbage logic.

Carl Peterson has let his pride stand in the way of getting shit done in KC for far too long.

keg in kc
04-20-2005, 10:28 PM
I still can't fathom the fact that he got a 4-year extension following a 7-9 season, and in the midst of a 7-year run where we were .500 or worse 70% of the time. Says something about ownership, and not something good.

TEX
04-20-2005, 10:29 PM

Oh - I hear ya. I was just naming the "outstanding" 2nd round talent drafted under D.V. as I didn't want to take the argument farther as it would only PISS me off more. :cuss:

Bowser
04-20-2005, 10:30 PM
I'm not arguing with you, I actually believe your premise, I'm arguing with Carl Peterson's garbage logic.

Carl Peterson has let his pride stand in the way of getting shit done in KC for far too long.

Yeah, he's been known to drop the "Do you know who I am?!?" line around town...........

I will revisit this next February the examine how Samari Rolle held up over the year with his "narrowing of the spinal cord". :rolleyes:

Bowser
04-20-2005, 10:32 PM
I still can't fathom the fact that he got a 4-year extension following a 7-9 season, and in the midst of a 7-year run where we were .500 or worse 70% of the time. Says something about ownership, and not something good.

Noone should be shocked. How long did Steadman have the job? And he continues to be employed!

It really is going to be embarassing the day they put him in the Ring of Fame, listening to all the boos.

CosmicPal
04-20-2005, 10:32 PM

Exactly. What should happen is someone should whisper into his ear and say, "A lot of Chiefs fans will love you to death if you make this trade, Carl. Forget about your ego and do the deal and people in Kansas City will shower you with affection."

:D

keg in kc
04-20-2005, 10:34 PM
Noone should be shocked. How long did Steadman have the job? And he continues to be employed!

It really is going to be embarassing the day they put him in the Ring of Fame, listening to all the boos.Never said I was shocked, there's certainly precedent as you pointed out...

I just don't understand it.

Bowser
04-20-2005, 10:35 PM
Never said I was shocked, there's certainly precedent as you pointed out...

I just don't understand it.

You and me both, dude.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-20-2005, 10:43 PM

Any other job, dude would be gone yesterday. Way before that, actually.

Taco John
04-20-2005, 11:14 PM
Chiefs president Carl Peterson countered by saying time was running out to get the deal completed.

That has to be easily the worst counter in NFL history. With his back against the wall, he tells the team pushing him into a corner that he's going to be in the corner soon... Brilliant!

The best part is that if he hadn't low balled, and offered a third in the first place, the deal would have probably gone through before the Houston/Raider nonsense got kicked off...

the Talking Can
04-20-2005, 11:28 PM

it says that Lamar doesn't give a shit anymore.....hurts to say it, but there is no other to look at...CP has failed for over a decade, and he was resigned....

TRR
04-20-2005, 11:33 PM
That has to be easily the worst counter in NFL history. With his back against the wall, he tells the team pushing him into a corner that he's going to be in the corner soon... Brilliant!

The best part is that if he hadn't low balled, and offered a third in the first place, the deal would have probably gone through before the Houston/Raider nonsense got kicked off...

Uh d*mbass, how could he have offered a 3rd in the first place if KC doesn't have a third to trade?

Dolphins always have wanted a 2nd rounder anyways....

the Talking Can
04-20-2005, 11:35 PM

are you saying CP offered the non-existant/non-tradeable 3rd or that he should have offered the non-existant/non-tradeable third?

cause either one makes you look stupid....

Chiefnj
04-20-2005, 11:40 PM

Better to be a GM who lost out to a rookie head coach than a GM who's team hasn't won a playoff game in 12 years.

easymobee
04-20-2005, 11:57 PM
Uh d*mbass, how could he have offered a 3rd in the first place if KC doesn't have a third to trade?

Dolphins always have wanted a 2nd rounder anyways....

Details .... Details ....

I think what he meant is that Carl blew it.

And while the window isn't completely closed ..... Its gonna be in about 24 hours.

Denver didn't have a tradable 3rd rounder either ... and now they do.

Oakland/LA (whatever they are) created the 2nd rounder they just got done trading to the Jets.

Taco John
04-21-2005, 12:10 AM
Ah that's right... I forgot that they took your third away for cheating...

Taco John
04-21-2005, 12:16 AM
It's funny, because we have three third round picks this year...

Woodrow Call
04-21-2005, 12:32 AM
Has anyone heard from Gunther? He has got to be pissed. By the time the season rolls around I picture him in a straight jacket mutterring "Why did I come back" over and over again; spitting his skoal juice in DV's face.

VanDolPhan
04-21-2005, 12:33 AM

Err 'use' to have. We traded Ogunleye to Chicago and both our starting DT's went down in the preseason and a couple games into the regular season.

Surtain is the man and I'd rather see him stay then trade him for draft picks that most likely won't work out. However the reason were trading him isn't cause were up against the cap this year (the phins can float it). It's because Saban would like to extend TE Randy McMicheal's contract as this kids a baller and he'll shine large in Linehan's offense. It's looking though like it'll take about $8 million + in signing to get McMicheal down and we can't float that with J.T's contract (2nd largest for a DE in the league) and we just gave $10.5 million in signing bonus to Thomas a couple years ago. With our aging defense it's just time to start overhauling.

We got a pretty good 2nd year guy in Will Poole who can compete with Reggie Howard for the spot opposite Sam Madison who himself will be gone in a year or 2. Our defense is just too old and to pay Surtain that contract when were going into a rebuild of our defense just isn't warranted.

bigbucks24
04-21-2005, 12:34 AM
Oh yeah? How would you feel if Al Davis swoops in and gives up a high pick for Surtain? Do you think Al would care about losing out to a rookie coach? DO THE ****IN DEAL!!!!!!!

I also think he would love to "one-up" the Chiefs and take a corner off the market. Not sure they have the cap space for Pat--unless they move Woodson.

Nightfyre
04-21-2005, 04:38 AM
Ummm... No we traded it for john welbourn. I thought your third got taken away for salary cap violations in your SB year...

easymobee
04-21-2005, 04:46 AM
Ummm... No we traded it for john welbourn. I thought your third got taken away for salary cap violations in your SB year...

Actually KC didn't do a good enough job of "Cheating".

It didn't stash Welbourn on the injury report quite enough time to keep him from hitting the "snaps played" count that turned a potential 4th rounder loss into a 3rd round loss.

Its my understanding that the difference came down to just a few snaps.

Nightfyre
04-21-2005, 04:53 AM
Actually KC didn't do a good enough job of "Cheating".

It didn't stash Welbourn on the injury report quite enough time to keep him from hitting the "snaps played" count that turned a potential 4th rounder loss into a 3rd round loss.

Its my understanding that the difference came down to just a few snaps.
I believe that not allowing a player to play a certain amount of snaps is called "strategy" not "cheating"

Salary Cap violations are a different story though.

tomahawk kid
04-21-2005, 08:06 AM
After listening to yesterday's press conference and the subsequent comments, I've got a bad feeling that Kingless is going to screw the pooch on this Surtain deal.

Somebody talk me down. I'm starting to have disturbing visions of a hobbled Ty Law and Suck Burntee lining up for KC come opening weekend against the Jets.....

F-Word

:banghead:

the Talking Can
04-21-2005, 08:13 AM

ummm..we traded it....you know less about the Chiefs than pacfan....

Chiefnj
04-21-2005, 08:34 AM
Here is what I don't completely understand about the Surtain situation. If the Chiefs do not have an agreement in principal with Surtain and are not yet in agreement on money, why did they go out and sign Holcomb and Hall when that money could have gone to Surtain; a position of much greater need?

Did Carl just say "I'm going to allocate X amount to this position and that is it, now we just have to get creative on how to structure the X?"

If an agreement is in place monetarily as was reported some time ago, but no recent stories have confirmed it, why hasn't Surtain been brought in for a physical?

keg in kc
04-21-2005, 08:41 AM
If an agreement is in place monetarily as was reported some time ago, but no recent stories have confirmed it, why hasn't Surtain been brought in for a physical?Because Miami has to consent to that physical, and that won't happen until compensation is agreed upon.

TEX
04-21-2005, 09:29 AM

Twice! But...but...but... they didn't get an advantage for doing it. They just did it... ROFL

Some stupid Donx fans (a few here) actually try to convince themselves, and everyone else withinn shouting distance, that it's the truth. ROFL