PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: Peterson drowning in river of denial

tk13
04-21-2005, 02:07 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/11445941.htm

Peterson drowning in river of denial

JASON WHITLOCK

You don't have to be Mel Kiper Jr. to figure out why the Kansas City Chiefs struggle in the draft.

Carl Peterson is no different from you or me. Denial and a lack of discipline make him prone to repeat the same mistake.

Peterson is no different from the overweight man or woman who hops on the Internet, researches the top fad diets, learns everything he/she needs to know about shedding 20 or 30 pounds and then quickly fails to execute once the menu is passed around at The Peach Tree.

Seriously, when you think of Peterson camped inside the “war room” this Saturday contemplating the 15th pick in the draft, think of your kind, gold-hearted friend who hits the basement of Mi Cocina on a Saturday night only hours after crying about getting used by groupies and playas.

“I just like to dance,” your friend says while passing out a phone number to everyone except the busboy.

Yes, Carl Peterson likes to dance on draft day. It's the Super Bowl for NFL general managers and team presidents. The problem for Chiefs fans is Peterson dances like no one's looking. He's in total denial that the Chiefs have a problem on draft day.

Wednesday afternoon, Peterson and his longtime, primary dance partner Lynn Stiles met with the media and discussed Miami cornerback Patrick Surtain, Saturday's draft and, most interestingly, for a brief moment whether Peterson was aware that Chiefs fans were dissatisfied with the way he and his scouting department perform on Super Bowl Saturday.

“You know something, we have 72,000 season-ticket holders,” Peterson said. “We've renewed 95 percent of those people again this year. I haven't had a letter or a fax or a phone call from any of those people. And I haven't, honest to goodness, I haven't had any letters from outside of that, if you want to say, sphere of what I consider real Kansas City Chiefs fans, because they step up each year and put their money down and say, ‘I'm here to see the Chiefs.'

“So, candidly, the criticism comes from some of the media,” Peterson went on. “I've even got it at this point (after) 16 years, and I don't consider it criticism. I consider it speculation. And that's what they get paid to do, speculate. And I respect that.”

Here's some more media speculation: Peterson is lost in denial. There are boatloads of Kansas City Chiefs fans irate about his inability to perform on draft day, and he's convinced himself that because they still buy tickets they're unaware of his draft failure.

Hey, people read my newspaper column. Therefore, I'm not 5 to 6 pounds overweight. Problem solved. You follow?

It's like your cousin who swears he doesn't have a drug or alcohol problem because he hasn't missed a day of work in five years. Never mind the fact that he has two out-of-wedlock, one-night-stand kids whom he yells at for no reason when he's hung over.

What makes matters so frustrating when it comes to Peterson is he's been through years and years of counseling. He knows what to do on draft day. He spends months traveling the country preparing for his annual Super Bowl. He's been burned so many times — Trezelle Jenkins, Ryan Sims, Junior Siavii, Eddie Freeman, Greg Hill, Sylvester Morris, Harvey Williams, Kawika Mitchell — that he really has no excuse for screwing up.

The Chiefs generally get burned in the first two rounds of the draft when Peterson chooses to go with potential over production. Stiles fell in love with Jenkins' wingspan and 6-foot-8 frame. The Chiefs should forbid Stiles from ever using a measuring tape.

“Personally, I look at production,” Peterson said when asked how he balances a prospect's potential versus his college production. “… Potential can get you into trouble.”

You see? Peterson knows what to do. He gets in the war room and panics. There's a lot of pressure in the war room. It's no different from stepping to the free-throw line with only a few seconds on the clock and the game hanging in the balance.

The college production of Sims, Siavii and Freeman never matched their talent. Should we be surprised that they have experienced or are experiencing the same problems here?

But, again, the Chiefs are in denial. On Wednesday Peterson defended the play of Sims and Siavii, suggesting it's much too early to call either a “bust.” It's not too early to suggest that neither player helped the Chiefs last season. At one point Stiles basically said the only problem with last year's draft was that Kris Wilson got hurt and the coaching staff didn't put Samie Parker on the field early enough.

Stiles could be right. But it doesn't explain why a team with such horrifying defensive talent wasted picks on two offensive players a year ago. See, when you're trapped in denial, even when you do something right, it turns out to be wrong.

Let me show Carl Peterson the way. Hi, my name is Jason Whitlock, and I'm a recovering Gates-aholic. It's been two days since my last presidential platter.

keg in kc
04-21-2005, 02:32 AM
I don't think I've ever come across such a self-absorbed, self-promoting individual in any media. And that's really saying something, because ego drives that business.

Wallcrawler
04-21-2005, 02:48 AM
Whitlock can be irritating, but sometimes, he's not only right, but funny as hell also.

He's definately right about one thing, Carl Peterson IS in denial if he thinks that the Chiefs fanbase is happy with the way that this organization has drafted on his watch.

Just because ticketholders show up to see the Chiefs play on Sunday doesnt mean that they are happy about the way the offseasons have gone.

Carl is mistaking loyalty to the Chiefs for approval of what he has done in the offseason.

keg in kc
04-21-2005, 03:10 AM
He's definately right about one thing, Carl Peterson IS in denial if he thinks that the Chiefs fanbase is happy with the way that this organization has drafted on his watch.I listened to the press conference live, and I thought that everything Peterson said that was referred to in this column (and on the radio here in KC) about the fanbase was tongue-in-cheek. I thought he was being self-effacing. In all, he said what you'd expect and want a GM to say in the same situation. I don't like that he's still here, and I hope we draft well finally, but I'm not sure what people expect from him. He's not going to stand up and say "yes, folks, we can't draft for shit, we just give up for this year" and he's not going to throw any of his players under the bus (Sims and Siavii).

Truth is, I don't think it matters what he says. A lot of people just hate the guy and they'll tear him apart nomatter what he says, right or wrong.

Wallcrawler
04-21-2005, 03:41 AM
I don't like that he's still here, and I hope we draft well finally, but I'm not sure what people expect from him. He's not going to stand up and say "yes, folks, we can't draft for shit, we just give up for this year" and he's not going to throw any of his players under the bus (Sims and Siavii).

He needs to explain himself, for sure. Its been well documented here at Chiefsplanet, so Im sure the general media and number crunchers know this also, that the Chiefs have absolutely SUCKED in the second round under Carl Peterson, and with the opportunity to actually land a pro bowl player with that 2nd rounder, he certainly needs to explain with a bit more clarity why he thinks that somehow this year is going to be the year worth passing over a stud corner for a simple roll of the dice. Im really curious as to the manner of thinking behind this. Pro bowl corners dont grow on trees, and the Chiefs havent had one since Hasty left. Especially with Gunther here, who knows the value of a great corner, I cant see what the justification is rolling the dice on a rookie instead of taking the proven player.

It just screams "Classic Carl fuggup."

Im sure he knows how bad theyve been in the second round. The least he could do is acknowledge it instead of making it out like they have been successful every year. I could see the reasoning behind keeping the pick if the team were drafting like the Patriots have been, but they havent been close to doing that.

I dont expect him to throw Sims under the bus, but this talking about giving him a couple more seasons to prove his worth is ridiculous, and anyone who has watched the Chiefs play since he got here has got to be wondering what the F is going through Carl's mind when he said that. The guy went what, number 6 overall? Or was it number 8? Either way, the guy was a top 10 pick who hasnt done a damn thing since he's been here. How many years exactly does it take for a top 10 pick to find his way in the NFL? I wasnt aware it took 5 or 6 years.

Hearing Carl talk in this fashion simply makes him look more ridiculous than I already thought he was. It really makes him look like he doesnt have the slightest clue as to what the F is going on with his football team, and with no explanation behind these actions, there really isnt any other way to view him other than "typical Carl with his head jammed straight up his ass."

Taco John
04-21-2005, 04:03 AM
That sound you hear coming from the Mid-West is steam releasing from Rufus Dawes ears as he fires up the ole 'puter for some righteous PR justice.

Taco John
04-21-2005, 04:11 AM
I listened to the press conference live, and I thought that everything Peterson said that was referred to in this column (and on the radio here in KC) about the fanbase was tongue-in-cheek. I thought he was being self-effacing. In all, he said what you'd expect and want a GM to say in the same situation. I don't like that he's still here, and I hope we draft well finally, but I'm not sure what people expect from him. He's not going to stand up and say "yes, folks, we can't draft for shit, we just give up for this year" and he's not going to throw any of his players under the bus (Sims and Siavii).

Truth is, I don't think it matters what he says. A lot of people just hate the guy and they'll tear him apart nomatter what he says, right or wrong.

I'm suprised that "the buck stops here" isn't a bigger part of the bash Carl lexicon around this place... I mean you see it now and again in someone's signature... But not nearly with the frequency that you'd imagine.

I mean, I guess I can see why not though... He's obviously isn't being held accountable for those words, and he certainly isn't holding himself accountable. But, Carl is one of those guys like Marty Schottenheimer who are perpetually turning the corner. They may never make it quite all the way around, but for some reason, the future always looks just bright enough to believe that there is light somewhere at the end of the tunnel.

I suppose that's about where we are with Shanahan right now too except that Shanahan has delivered twice already.

And Shanahan has never busted out the "Real Fan" card...

Wow.

keg in kc
04-21-2005, 04:15 AM
He needs to explain himself, for sure. Its been well documented here at Chiefsplanet, so Im sure the general media and number crunchers know this also, that the Chiefs have absolutely SUCKED in the second round under Carl PetersonHe’s sucked in every round, not just the second. However, and I’ve said this over and over and over, I don’t care how he’s done in the second round in the past; that’s irrelevant with regards to the trade. If you want to pull the trigger because that’s what you think Surtain’s value is, that’s fine. But you don’t make the trade just because you don’t think you can draft somebody good with that pick because you're incompetent. That's a defeatist attitude and I don't want that from anybody in my franchise. They've got to believe their next pick is a pro bowler.and with the opportunity to actually land a pro bowl player with that 2nd rounder, he certainly needs to explain with a bit more clarity why he thinks that somehow this year is going to be the year worth passing over a stud corner for a simple roll of the dice. ….I cant see what the justification is rolling the dice on a rookie instead of taking the proven player.

It just screams "Classic Carl fuggup." I haven’t seen any indication that we’re just “passing over” Surtain. If that was the case, we wouldn’t be negotiating at all.

Maybe it’s easier for me because this is exactly the way I expected it to go. I never thought the trade would be made before draft weekend (I’ve said as much for weeks and weeks) so I’ve never felt much panic. The fact is, there was absolutely no reason for either team to do the deal before now, and there’s absolutely no reason to be worried about the fact that it hasn’t happened yet. Now, two days from now…that’s another story. If this isn’t done late Friday, then I’ll start to worry. A little. But, really, until I see Surtain suiting up for work in another uniform, I’m not going off. I’m not going to declare this a failure until there actually is one. For instance: the Rolle signing? Disgraceful. The Hartwell signing? A little disappointing but not really much of a surprise.

That’s really the main problem I have with all the Surtain (fan/radio) talk: we haven’t lost out on the trade yet. Regardless of what past history says or what people’s gut feelings are, the simple fact is we’re still negotiating and it can still happen. It may end up being a “classic carl fuggup”. But it may not. Nothing is written in stone and for whatever reason nobody can be patient. We’re all jumping the gun, assuming the worst. I dont expect him to throw Sims under the bus, etc.This is it for Sims, for me. He should have performed by now, picked as high as he was, but I have always given guys 3-4 years to prove themselves. It’s a shame he hasn’t, and he’s as close to being a ‘bust’ as you can be.

Hopefully he’ll step up. Maybe improving the talent will help him along with everyone else.Hearing Carl talk in this fashion simply makes him look more ridiculous than I already thought he was. It really makes him look like he doesnt have the slightest clue as to what the F is going on with his football team, and with no explanation behind these actions, there really isnt any other way to view him other than "typical Carl with his head jammed straight up his ass."I guess this is just where I see it differently. I do not like Carl as the GM, he’s failed repeatedly in the draft for his entire tenure here. But I would do exactly what he’s doing with this trade. To me – for a number of reasons, there’s absolutely no reason to do it any differently. Maybe in the end we have to pay the asking price. And maybe we don’t. Maybe it’s a little risky, but I have no problem with that. As long as, in the end, we get Surtain.

And if we don't, it's yet another f*ck up....

elvomito
04-21-2005, 04:21 AM
jason whitlock takes jabs at himself from time to time to make you think he's showing humility and not an arrogant guy. in theory it works.

However, i think it is really important for carl to know that people buy season tickets because we love the chiefs, not because of anything about him.
Carl thats why when you do things to our chiefs, we want to prank you for long hours in the basement.

keg in kc
04-21-2005, 04:25 AM
But, Carl is one of those guys like Marty Schottenheimer who are perpetually turning the corner. They may never make it quite all the way around, but for some reason, the future always looks just bright enough to believe that there is light somewhere at the end of the tunnel.I think you're giving him more credit than he deserves. Although maybe I'm jaded because in seven years here I've seen *one* solid winning season, the 13-3 in '03. But turning a corner? We've been treading water. But maybe you're right. Maybe people have had false hope around here. I think that's done now, though, judging by what I hear on the radio. Nobody is happy, nobody at all. And if we miss on Surtain...wow.

Although I will say that adding Surtain to the moves we've made this offseason, with the addition of a solid draft, probably gives us a chance to compete for the division title. Hope again, I guess. Although that's as much a statement about how weak I think the division is as anything else.

From where I'm sitting, though, it won't take a whole lot to earn the Chiefs a reprieve in Kansas City. I think we win one playoff game and there'll be a collective sigh of relief. Which is kind of sad, actually. We'd probably die of an orgasmic overdose if we actually won a Superbowl.

keg in kc
04-21-2005, 06:20 AM
Okay, I just heard the clip from the press conference again, and I was thinking about a totally different part before. I didn't even hear the bit about 'real fans'. Jesus christ, I know season ticket holders who've sent letters, and former season ticket holders. Which means either Carl has people screening his letters so he only sees positive ones or he's outright lying. What a stupid, stupid thing to say. Good move, to insult and alienate a major segment of your fanbase, man. 'course, it isn't the first time. Piss on the media, right?

:shake:

Bob Dole
04-21-2005, 06:48 AM
Not being a season ticket holder and thus, not a real Chiefs fan, Bob Dole is in no position to comment.

Big Chief Homer
04-21-2005, 06:54 AM
Anyone got an address where i can send a letter or email to Peterson.Im alittle insulted by the "real fan" comment.While I live to far away to go to every home game and probably coudnt afford season tickets(trying to raise a family).

I spend my fair share on the kansas city chiefs.I find that comment extremely insulting.Between the nfl sunday ticket,team memorbilia,jerseys,hats,cards and countless hours of my life i know feel wasted following this team.I consider my self a REAL FAN.I would love to be at Arrowhead on every opportunity,but its just not feesable.I on the other hand DO attend games that are within a good driving distance,but i guess fair whether fans like myself should just stay home.

siberian khatru
04-21-2005, 07:15 AM
Carl, I've followed the team thru thick and thin for 30 years, I subscribe to Sunday Ticket so I can watch the Chiefs every Sunday, I buy Chiefs collectibles and wear Chiefs clothing out in public, promoting the team. I don't think you should marginalize me just because I happen to live 1,000 miles away from Arrowhead and don't lead a lifestyle that allows me to fly into KC 8 Sundays a year to watch them in person.

jspchief
04-21-2005, 07:19 AM
The "real fan" comment just reinforces what I've said all along. Carl Peterson doesn't understand the scope of fans their team reaches. It's like he lives in a little bubble that just surrounds KC. Those comments go hand in hand with a weekly article on their "international" website, dedicated to counter-attacks in the local pissing match with the media. Memo to Carl: there is more to a professional football team than the 78,000 seats you are trying to fill.

Whitlock is spot on in 90% of this article. I think he's a sh*tbag, and the newspaper version of a shock jock, but this article is valid. The only place he loses me is when he calls Siavii a bust. You just can't say that after only one year.

the Talking Can
04-21-2005, 07:56 AM
Pretty outrageous for him to say only season ticket holders are real fans....what about all the fans that don't live in KC?

I'd like to see Lamar make him apologize for that comment. I'm really starting to wonder why I waste my time with this shit eating franchise. Apparently the hours I spend online every day obsessing about the Chiefs don't make me a "real fan."

**** CP. **** Lamar.

And **** the Chiefs.

They've done nothing to deserve the fans they have. I hope people deluge the Star with letters blasting CP for that stupid, and insulting comment.

Scaga
04-21-2005, 07:58 AM
I'll bet he gets more than ONE letter after that statement. :banghead:

KCTitus
04-21-2005, 07:59 AM
Good stuff...Jason's impressive use of The Lexicon was marvelous. I definately give this article a solid B+.

I find it funny, now matter how it was said by Carl, from his own mouth he gave everyone who hates him the formula for change: 'Dont like it, dont come to the games'.

Simply classic.

jspchief
04-21-2005, 08:09 AM
Good stuff...Jason's impressive use of The Lexicon was marvelous. I definately give this article a solid B+.

I find it funny, now matter how it was said by Carl, from his own mouth he gave everyone who hates him the formula for change: 'Dont like it, dont come to the games'.

Simply classic. Funny? I realize you're more of a red and gold glasses guy, but I don't get how you can downplay the stupidity of those comments. I guess you think it would be funny for Arrowhead to sell as many tickets as Arizona then.

I don't know too many businesses where the standard response is "if you don't like it, go elsewhere". You can wave your "stop buying tickets" flag all you want, but the truth is, if that ever really did happen, it would be the worst thing that ever happened to this franchise.

A lot of people keep coming to games because there will be a day when Carl Peterson isn't part of the Chiefs. People attend games to root for the 56 guys on the feild in red and gold, not the front office. Me buying a ticket doesn't exclude me from being critical of the way this team is run. If anything, it entitles me.

KCTitus
04-21-2005, 08:13 AM
Funny? I realize you're more of a red and gold glasses guy, but I don't get how you can downplay the stupidity of those comments. I guess you think it would be funny for Arrowhead to sell as many tickets as Arizona then.

I don't know too many businesses where the standard response is "if you don't like it, go elsewhere". You can wave your "stop buying tickets" flag all you want, but the truth is, if that ever really did happen, it would be the worst thing that ever happened to this franchise.

A lot of people keep coming to games because there will be a day when Carl Peterson isn't part of the Chiefs. People attend games to root for the 56 guys on the feild in red and gold, not the front office. Me buying a ticket doesn't exclude me from being critical of the way this team is run. If anything, it entitles me.

Back in the 70's and 80's, they did...and I was there. It's not funny, but it was the only way that KC changed from Steadman to Peterson in 89. If anything, it's the only way to get this organization to make changes.

Buying or not buying tickets doesnt matter one whit with regard to being critical of the club. Most fans around here love to hate the team now and I accept that.

Yeah, I find it funny...I have an odd sense of humor.

jettio
04-21-2005, 08:18 AM
That was a good column by BigSexy.

I think he is right about the production v. potential thing. Peterson used to know better, Sam Mills is one example. Chiefs have drafted too many recent workout wonders who didn't really impact their teams' games in college.

jspchief
04-21-2005, 08:23 AM
Back in the 70's and 80's, they did...and I was there. It's not funny, but it was the only way that KC changed from Steadman to Peterson in 89. If anything, it's the only way to get this organization to make changes.

Buying or not buying tickets doesnt matter one whit with regard to being critical of the club. Most fans around here love to hate the team now and I accept that.

The landscape of professional sports has changed since the 70s and 80s IMO. Fans are more demanding, and teams are more likely to pack up and move.

And why do we have to take the franchise to the dumpster to get positive change? If you owned a restaraunt, and were getting complaints about the food, would you ignore those complaints? Would you wait until you had no customers for lunch and dinner before trying to get a better chef? Would you tell the customers that complained to eat somewhere else if they didn't like it? Or maybe you'd tell them about the delicious steak that you cooked for them 11 years ago.

I'm not one of those people that sees black helicopters whenever CP's name is mentioned. I don't think he "doesn't care about winning" or buy into any of that other absurd crap. I just think he's a bad GM. He's not that good at that part of his job.

crossbow
04-21-2005, 08:25 AM
Anyone got an address where i can send a letter or email to Peterson.Im alittle insulted by the "real fan" comment.While I live to far away to go to every home game and probably coudnt afford season tickets(trying to raise a family).

I spend my fair share on the kansas city chiefs.I find that comment extremely insulting.Between the nfl sunday ticket,team memorbilia,jerseys,hats,cards and countless hours of my life i know feel wasted following this team.I consider my self a REAL FAN.I would love to be at Arrowhead on every opportunity,but its just not feesable.I on the other hand DO attend games that are within a good driving distance,but i guess fair whether fans like myself should just stay home.

http://promotions.lookandfeel.com/chiefspromo/promotions/PromoForm.jsp?site=kcchiefs.com&campaign=Kcchiefs.com+Comments

Duck Dog
04-21-2005, 08:32 AM
Well since no Chief fan has ever sent Carl a letter, perhaps we should start. :rolleyes:

the Talking Can
04-21-2005, 08:33 AM
Anyone got an address where i can send a letter or email to Peterson.Im alittle insulted by the "real fan" comment.

kcchiefs email (http://kcchiefs.com/contact/)

KChiefs1
04-21-2005, 08:36 AM
Ok...Carl Peterson is an ass, but haven't we known that for about 16 years now? Nothing has changed in that regard. He runs the show & knows it. The only way "REAL" Chiefs fans can be heard is by not buying/renewing season tickets! Carl has told you how he listens to disgruntled fans...if they are buying season tickets right? Ok...DON'T BUY THE DAMN THINGS! :clap:

Scaga
04-21-2005, 08:39 AM

Make sure you give him a link here:

www.chiefsplanet.com

C-Mac
04-21-2005, 08:42 AM
Guys..... the real fan and media blame comment was tounge and cheek...you know humor.
Give the guy a break, he was just having fun with the media. It is humorous to see many here believing that those are his true thoughts.

wolfpack0735
04-21-2005, 08:46 AM
i spent the first 21 years of my life in kc, the only reason i`m not there now is my job. i live over 5 hours away and have two kids in college and one close. i cant afford season tickets and living 5 hours away its to far. but i think i own every kind of chief stuff there is,but i guess thats why i`m only a half a fan. "real fan" queen carl can suck my d$$k!

jspchief
04-21-2005, 08:47 AM
Guys..... the real fan and media blame comment was tounge and cheek...you know humor.
Give the guy a break, he was just having fun with the media. It is humorous to see many here believing that those are his true thoughts.

Bullsh*t. Did you listen to the press conference? I did. He was not joking around.

keg in kc
04-21-2005, 08:48 AM
Give the guy a break, he was just having fun with the media. It is humorous to see many here believing that those are his true thoughts.You're making the same mistake that I did. He did have a little tongue-in-cheek bit with jason, but he also had a pretty long little statement about how the real fans in Arrowhead don't complain, that's it's only the media. I missed that yesterday, somehow, but I've heard it at least a half dozen times today and it didn't sound to me like he was joking there. It was offensive, frankly.

the Talking Can
04-21-2005, 08:48 AM

umm, no...it you heard it, the intent was clear...he wasn't joking

BigRedChief
04-21-2005, 08:51 AM
kcchiefs email (http://kcchiefs.com/contact/)

I thought that was an inbox that just provided entertainment for the admin of that addy?

the Talking Can
04-21-2005, 08:53 AM
I thought that was an inbox that just provided entertainment for the admin of that addy?

oh...I've never used it..you may be right

Edubs
04-21-2005, 09:09 AM

http://www.kcchiefs.com/contact/ .......Obviously this will not go directly to Carl but I have sent a few messages to the orginiztion letting them know what I think.

I really wish it all stemmed from the owner of this orginization. Lamar has no idea what the hell goes on with this team. All he knows is that the seats are filled every game. That's all they really care about. I do think Carl want's to win but it's obvious he has no idea how to get it done.

Phobia
04-21-2005, 09:09 AM
oh...I've never used it..you may be right

There's a whole thread about it. It's hilarious.

C-Mac
04-21-2005, 09:10 AM
umm, no...it you heard it, the intent was clear...he wasn't joking

Then he obviously has contradicted himself for just a few weeks ago he was on the talk radio listing to the complaints of the callers.
Thus the differentiating of real fans and those extreme whinny Jerry Springer types.

KCTitus
04-21-2005, 09:13 AM
The landscape of professional sports has changed since the 70s and 80s IMO. Fans are more demanding, and teams are more likely to pack up and move.

And why do we have to take the franchise to the dumpster to get positive change? If you owned a restaraunt, and were getting complaints about the food, would you ignore those complaints? Would you wait until you had no customers for lunch and dinner before trying to get a better chef? Would you tell the customers that complained to eat somewhere else if they didn't like it? Or maybe you'd tell them about the delicious steak that you cooked for them 11 years ago.

I'm not one of those people that sees black helicopters whenever CP's name is mentioned. I don't think he "doesn't care about winning" or buy into any of that other absurd crap. I just think he's a bad GM. He's not that good at that part of his job.

True it has changed, but if Carl said that, it's clearly the litmus test in his eyes. I dont get your analog, my eyes pretty much glazed over about half way through.

I would disagree on your assertion that he's bad at his job, quite the contrary. Somehow he gets people to continue to sell the place out while providing some rather disappointing results. It's quite clear, in the contrast from the 90's to today, just how much of a role the coaching staff plays in acquiring the players.

Bob Dole
04-21-2005, 09:22 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/contact/ .......Obviously this will not go directly to Carl but I have sent a few messages to the orginiztion letting them know what I think.

If you're not a season ticket holder, you're wasting your time.

keg in kc
04-21-2005, 09:25 AM
I would disagree on your assertion that he's bad at his job, quite the contrary. Somehow he gets people to continue to sell the place out while providing some rather disappointing results.This is rehashing an old argument, I know, but I'd say he's had success as a president, yes. However, as a GM in charge of football operations, looking at the last seven years, if you pair the consistently poor quality of the drafts with the 57-55 record over the period, which included just two seasons above .500 and only one playoff appearance, I think you'd have to characterize the period as a clear failure. Again on the football side, his duties as GM.

I think a change in the organization in the team, with the separation of the President and General Manager tags is long overdue, but I know that's a pipe dream.It's quite clear, in the contrast from the 90's to today, just how much of a role the coaching staff plays in acquiring the players.

And this is just an opinion, but I wholeheartedly believe time is running out in terms of keeping the stands filled. If we keep losing, people will continue to become disheartened and lose interest. I believe we're already seeing signs of it.I think that's a fair comment. However, he's ultimately the man on the top rung of the ladder. He needs to take action to resolve whatever issues there are. We've seen no indication that he even thinks there's an issue, much less taken any steps to correct anything. Of course, we might not even be aware of such action. Hopefully Saturday's results will mark a watershed.

TEX
04-21-2005, 09:26 AM
Whlitlock nailed it. But I wouldn't put Sylvester Morris in the same class with all the other BUSTS (but I would add Mike Cloud) he listed. Nor would I give up on Saivii yet. Just my take.

Brock
04-21-2005, 09:29 AM
Almost anyone on chiefsplanet could have written that article and done a better job. Whitlock is a hack who repeats himself year after year.

Brock
04-21-2005, 09:30 AM
It's quite clear, in the contrast from the 90's to today, just how much of a role the coaching staff plays in acquiring the players.

I don't think so. They have nearly always drafted poorly in the first three rounds, regardless of who's coaching.

Edubs
04-21-2005, 09:36 AM
If you're not a season ticket holder, you're wasting your time.

I am. It's kind of funny that a guy who sits next to me at work is somewhat related to CP. Carl's wife is my coworkers wife's Aunt.....ummmm boy that sounds funny. He actually sit's up with Carl in the suite one game a year. I always give him a few nuggets to give to Carl but I don't think he ever passes it along. I always say, "Tell Carl he is an idiot and if he raises ticket prices again without a Super Bowl I will kick his a$$!" He says that Carl want's to win more than anything in the world. I still think he is a boob. He is 2 f-ing stubborn and he blames everything on the media.

I say we have a preseason vote. Do the Chiefs make the playoffs? If they do make the playoffs do they win a f-ing game int he playoffs? $hit I hope so. I have never jumped so high in the air when Dante ran that ball back against the Colts. I think I am going to cry. I hate football.

keg in kc
They have nearly always drafted poorly in the first three rounds, regardless of who's coaching.That's true to a degree, but the difference is that in the early- to mid-nineties we at least had an occasional success, whereas under Vermeil we haven't had success with a single first day pick. I suppose you could argue that Sims is a success since he starts, but we're certainly not getting the kind of production that would tempt you to trade up to #6. Johnson may eventually be a success. But so far, nothing. Downing, Minnis and Freeman and gone, while Mitchell, Battle, Siavii, Wilson and Fox haven't delivered anything notable.

Ugh. It hurts to think about it.

Otter
Sixteen years, one season of winning a playoff game.

Brass tax baby.

I was 15 years old sixteen years ago.

Sure-Oz
04-21-2005, 09:40 AM
Carl better do the right thing and get Surtain saturday!

Michael Michigan
04-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Carl, I've followed the team thru thick and thin for 30 years, I subscribe to Sunday Ticket so I can watch the Chiefs every Sunday, I buy Chiefs collectibles and wear Chiefs clothing out in public, promoting the team. I don't think you should marginalize me just because I happen to live 1,000 miles away from Arrowhead and don't lead a lifestyle that allows me to fly into KC 8 Sundays a year to watch them in person.

Get a different lifestyle.

Be a real fan.

Signed C.P.

shaneo69
04-21-2005, 09:47 AM
I don't think so. They have nearly always drafted poorly in the first three rounds, regardless of who's coaching.

It's just that, back then, our bad early round picks were offensive busts, and now they're defensive busts.

Michael Michigan
04-21-2005, 09:48 AM

:spock:

KCTitus
04-21-2005, 09:56 AM

It's just that, back then, our bad early round picks were offensive busts, and now they're defensive busts.

True.

Rexx
04-21-2005, 09:57 AM
Guys, I've only posted a few times, but this statement really is absurd. I've been to one game in Arrowhead but live and die Chiefs football. To say, the real fans attend the games and he has received no validation of fans being unhappy is mind boggling. I actually am starting to wonder if he actually thinks fans are satisfied with the way things are going.

I've emailed the Chiefs asking for an apology. I will be surprised if I get anything in return. I sometimes wonder how I can stay a loyal fan to this organization with goons running the show. Unfortunately, Lamar Hunt is too old and senile to recognize and respond. It's pathetic and really pisses me off, so if anyone has more contact information regarding the Chiefs please post. There going to hear about my frustration! :cuss:

C-Mac
04-21-2005, 10:13 AM
Guys, I've only posted a few times, but this statement really is absurd. I've been to one game in Arrowhead but live and die Chiefs football. To say, the real fans attend the games and he has received no validation of fans being unhappy is mind boggling. I actually am starting to wonder if he actually thinks fans are satisfied with the way things are going.

I've emailed the Chiefs asking for an apology. I will be surprised if I get anything in return. I sometimes wonder how I can stay a loyal fan to this organization with goons running the show. Unfortunately, Lamar Hunt is too old and senile to recognize and respond. It's pathetic and really pisses me off, so if anyone has more contact information regarding the Chiefs please post. There going to hear about my frustration! :cuss:

He has been very much aware of the fans rumbling thru out his whole tenure up until what.......yesterday.
I cant believe that anyone really thinks he is oblivious to the fans all of a sudden.
:rolleyes:

bricks
04-21-2005, 10:24 AM
Carl better do the right thing and get Surtain saturday!

it kinda sounds like your holding your breath.

bricks
04-21-2005, 10:26 AM
People, don't go to the games! Stop rewarding these jackasses! CP is an a**hole!

bricks
04-21-2005, 10:33 AM

2 years ago, I attended a Chiefs game live. Went to watch the Broncos @ Chiefs live at Arrowhead Stadium. Always wanted to attend a Chief game, and, always wanted to see what Arrowhead stadium was like. Mind you, I came all the way from Toronto, Canada to watch them. Now, after hearing that f*cking a**holes statements, I regret going, and will never go again! F*ck you CP!!! Go shove it!! :cuss: :cuss:

Logical
04-21-2005, 10:45 AM
I listened to the press conference live, and I thought that everything Peterson said that was referred to in this column (and on the radio here in KC) about the fanbase was tongue-in-cheek. I thought he was being self-effacing. In all, he said what you'd expect and want a GM to say in the same situation. I don't like that he's still here, and I hope we draft well finally, but I'm not sure what people expect from him. He's not going to stand up and say "yes, folks, we can't draft for shit, we just give up for this year" and he's not going to throw any of his players under the bus (Sims and Siavii).

Truth is, I don't think it matters what he says. A lot of people just hate the guy and they'll tear him apart nomatter what he says, right or wrong.And evidently some people will defend him, just because Whitlock is the one criticizing, no matter how correct JW is on the matter.

Logical
04-21-2005, 10:46 AM
That sound you hear coming from the Mid-West is steam releasing from Rufus Dawes ears as he fires up the ole 'puter for some righteous PR justice.
ROFL:clap:

Brock
04-21-2005, 10:47 AM
People, don't go to the games! Stop rewarding these jackasses! CP is an a**hole!

I've attended nearly every game since 1983. Carl Peterson certainly isn't going to stop me from a day at the stadium, no matter how futile the team is.

Logical
04-21-2005, 10:58 AM
...Most fans around here love to hate the team now and I accept that.

I think you really don't get it, we don't love to hate the team, but we do despise the team management for their ineptness. That is not at all the same as hating the team.

whoman69
04-21-2005, 11:00 AM
I agree with Keg on every step of this. I don't think that anything Whitlock says to CP, no matter how close to home it hits, is going to change the way that CP does things. Carl has got to recognize that he has been taking way too many chances in the draft, and those chances have not paid off. Last year was the closest thing we have had to a solid draft in the last half dozen years, and even that is up in the air. But you still can't just assume that Carl is going to screw it all up again. What's the point of having that defeatist an attitude?
Thusfar noone has offered for Surtain more than the 4th that we have offered. To just throw in the 2nd instead would be to up the ante by 700%. We still need that 2nd in this draft, whether its to try to move up, or to fill out our roster with another LB. Trade the 2nd for Surtain and we have Kawika Mitchell as a starter once again.

Brock
04-21-2005, 11:04 AM
We still need that 2nd in this draft, whether its to try to move up, or to fill out our roster with another LB. Trade the 2nd for Surtain and we have Kawika Mitchell as a starter once again.

I also prefer to keep the second round pick. However, Mitchell will be on the field regardless of what the Chiefs do with the pick.

bricks
04-21-2005, 11:09 AM
I've attended nearly every game since 1983. Carl Peterson certainly isn't going to stop me from a day at the stadium, no matter how futile the team is.

do you like getting ripped off? :rolleyes: I'm assuming so. Are you satisfied with the products this team puts on the field? And, then on top of it that jacka** has to say the "real" Chief fans are season ticket holders, even though we are losing it's ok.
CP has to use the "fans attending the games" excuse as a cover up for his failures. So basically it's like he is saying "yeah we are losing, but, it's ok because people go to the games". that's a slap in the face, imo. Keep going to the games Brock, your an example of what this Chiefs organization wants, they love you. your a contributer, to an owner who doesn't give a sh*t about failure, and only cares about profitability. They could care less if you go home disappointed, and they really like your money. Keep up the good work.

Brock
04-21-2005, 11:12 AM
do you like getting ripped off? :rolleyes: I'm assuming so. Are you satisfied with the products this team puts on the field? And, then on top of it that jacka** has to say the "real" Chief fans are season ticket holders, even though we are losing it's ok.
CP has to use the "fans attending the games" excuse as a cover up for his failures. So basically it's like he is saying "yeah we are losing, but, it's ok because people go to the games". that's a slap in the face, imo. Keep going to the games Brock, your an example of what this Chiefs organization wants, they love you. your a contributer, to an owner who doesn't give a sh*t about failure, and only cares about profitability. They could care less if you go home disappointed, and they really like your money. Keep up the good work.

What a numbnuts. I was here before Carl Peterson, and I'll be here after he's gone. It's real easy for you to sit up there in the middle of nowhere and pronounce your judgement on those of us who choose to be Chiefs fans and show up on Sunday. GFY.

KCTitus
04-21-2005, 11:12 AM
I think you really don't get it, we don't love to hate the team, but we do despise the team management for their ineptness. That is not at all the same as hating the team.

I have a pretty good handle on it. It's about 4 paragraphs of an explanation I dont feel compelled to write, but suffice it to say it has something to do with ones self esteem, self worth and projection.

Hating could be too strong a word, though, how about 'hoping/wishing for failure'.

KC Dan
04-21-2005, 11:15 AM
You know, I read these kinds of posts all of the time here and I gotta say, of course they don't care what you think. It's a business and like it or not, CP's job is to put azzes in the stands and make money. You know what - he's doing a fine job at that.
Now, does that mean I, as a season ticket holder from Vancouver, Wa. am happy about the lack of playoff success. NO, of course not but CP is doing exactly that Lamar wants him to do - make him money. I enjoy the live game experience and if I didn't I wouldn't go - wins or no wins. CP is selling a gametime experience not a guaranteed Super Bowl Champion. If he was doing the other, he'd been fired in 1995. IT'S A BUSINESS, whether we like it or not.

Logical
04-21-2005, 11:20 AM
I have a pretty good handle on it. It's about 4 paragraphs of an explanation I dont feel compelled to write, but suffice it to say it has something to do with ones self esteem, self worth and projection.

Hating could be too strong a word, though, how about 'hoping/wishing for failure'.ROFL so all of us who hate this teams management have self esteem, worth and projection issues. Way to go Titus you are almost as good as Carl at insulting the masses.

I probably do have excessive self esteem, value my own opinion far too much, and project that to the team management and expect more out of them than I should. But I am not lowering my standards just because you want to suffer their failures with Red and Gold glasses.

Having said that, I highly doubt that all the people that despise the Chiefs management fit the same categorization as I do.

Logical
04-21-2005, 11:22 AM
You know, I read these kinds of posts all of the time here and I gotta say, of course they don't care what you think. It's a business and like it or not, CP's job is to put azzes in the stands and make money. You know what - he's doing a fine job at that.
Now, does that mean I, as a season ticket holder from Vancouver, Wa. am happy about the lack of playoff success. NO, of course not but CP is doing exactly that Lamar wants him to do - make him money. I enjoy the live game experience and if I didn't I wouldn't go - wins or no wins. CP is selling a gametime experience not a guaranteed Super Bowl Champion. If he was doing the other, he'd been fired in 1995. IT'S A BUSINESS, whether we like it or not.

That is his job as President where almost everyone agrees he is a success. He still is a miserable failure as a GM. Being a GM is about winning and not just regular season games.

bricks
04-21-2005, 11:23 AM

True. I'll tell you though, I'm starting to despise Hunt for rewarding Peterson with a new contract. I don't hate the Chiefs, like them deep down inside, but, my passion is starting to decline for this franchise a bit. Especially, after Hunt starts praising carl by saying,"He is one of the top echelon executives in this league". Makes you wonder, how you could love our owner for making preposterous statements like that. I certainly hate him for saying that.

CanadaKC
04-21-2005, 11:26 AM
Nothing is better than the media "reminding" Carl of the actual reality out there in terms of the temperment of the fans. Carl can spin it however he wants...but the truth is simply the truth...our drafts have sucked...and he and Stiles are sqaurely to blame. I remember being on this BB the last three drafts and all of us were having meltdowns. Chief fans will no longer put up with his crap. He has to draft a defensive stud player...and he needs immediate results from that player. Dunta Robinson and Jonathan Vilma come to mind.

KCTitus
04-21-2005, 11:28 AM
ROFL so all of us who hate this teams management have self esteem, worth and projection issues. Way to go Titus you are almost as good as Carl at insulting the masses.

I probably do have excessive self esteem, value my own opinion far too much, and project that to the team management and expect more out of them than I should. But I am not lowering my standards just because you want to suffer their failures with Red and Gold glasses.

Having said that, I highly doubt that all the people that despise the Chiefs management fit the same categorization as I do.

Speaking of funny, your first paragraph is a great example. It's almost pavlovian how easy it is to get the desired response. Speaking of Carl's insult, I really dont feel insulted, but Im somewhat amused by the number that are.

I guess if one is looking to get insulted, one can pretty easily whether it be a internet poster or NFL GM.

ExtremeChief
04-21-2005, 11:32 AM

Hating could be too strong a word, though, how about 'hoping/wishing for failure'.

So we should just sit around and hold hands, sing kumbyah and think it will be better this year? We don't have the right to complain, bitch, question, and discuss what we think are problems in the front office??? I'm not a "real fan" if I don't tow the line and become complacent, then make fun of every other poster that complains because they aren't a GM?? That's horseshit.

My self esteem, self worth, etc has absolutely nothing to due with my feelings on the Chiefs. I love this team, and will always love this team. And I absolutely reserve the right to complain, bitch, or (heaven forbid) discuss what the front office has or hasn't done in the past.

I think Carl is obviously a great business man. You can't argue with the results he has gotten financially. But I think the Chief's success should also be measured on wins, preferrably in the playoffs. Would another GM be better??? Who knows. But I find it remarkable that he gets to keep his job 4 more years when this team hasn't has a successful post season FOREVER.

KC Dan
04-21-2005, 11:38 AM
I think Carl is obviously a great business man. You can't argue with the results he has gotten financially. But I think the Chief's success should also be measured on wins, preferrably in the playoffs. Would another GM be better??? Who knows. But I find it remarkable that he gets to keep his job 4 more years when this team hasn't has a successful post season FOREVER.
To respond to your post and Vlad's, I would add that the main failure is not CP's but Lamar's. If he truly wants playoff wins and a Super Bowl, he would note CP's failings and hire a GM to get the personnel necessary to win in the postseason. Lamar is old and wanting that nestegg to grow for his survivors since he is seeing his own mortality waning. That is most likely why he hasn't gotten more involved to demand a Championship team. Carl is doing his job well as President of the team and it trumps his GM position.

Chief Henry
04-21-2005, 11:41 AM
Dammitt Carl...

nmt1
04-21-2005, 11:42 AM
But I find it remarkable that he gets to keep his job 4 more years when this team hasn't has a successful post season FOREVER.

Therein is the rub. It's not us, the fans, who determine whether or not Peterson is successful, it's Lamar Hunt. Hunt has decided that Peterson has been successful, regardless of what has happened in the playoffs and there's not a lot we can do about it.

KCTitus
04-21-2005, 11:43 AM
So we should just sit around and hold hands, sing kumbyah and think it will be better this year? We don't have the right to complain, bitch, question, and discuss what we think are problems in the front office??? I'm not a "real fan" if I don't tow the line and become complacent, then make fun of every other poster that complains because they aren't a GM?? That's horseshit.

No, did I say we should sit around, hold hands and sing? No, I didnt. Again, I do appreciate another textbook example of what Im referring to.

My self esteem, self worth, etc has absolutely nothing to due with my feelings on the Chiefs. I love this team, and will always love this team. And I absolutely reserve the right to complain, bitch, or (heaven forbid) discuss what the front office has or hasn't done in the past.

Good...Im glad for you. It wasnt my point, rather it has more to do with this BB/community dynamic than it does the team. Again, Im not going to get into it because it's a waste of time as evidenced by yours and Jims initial reactions.

Me too.

ExtremeChief
04-21-2005, 11:44 AM
To respond to your post and Vlad's, I would add that the main failure is not CP's but Lamar's. If he truly wants playoff wins and a Super Bowl, he would note CP's failings and hire a GM to get the personnel necessary to win in the postseason. Lamar is old and wanting that nestegg to grow for his survivors since he is seeing his own mortality waning. That is most likely why he hasn't gotten more involved to demand a Championship team. Carl is doing his job well as President of the team and it trumps his GM position.

I wouldn't disagree with that at all. That doesn't mean I have to sit here quietly and like it though. Nor does anyone else. It also doesn't mean I hate the team when I complain. I think many of us complain because we LOVE THE TEAM. Why the hell would we get so worked up over something we didn't give a shit about?

KC Dan
04-21-2005, 11:45 AM
I wouldn't disagree with that at all. That doesn't mean I have to sit here quietly and like it though. Nor does anyone else. It also doesn't mean I hate the team when I complain. I think many of us complain because we LOVE THE TEAM. Why the hell would we get so worked up over something we didn't give a shit about?
Agreed!

keg in kc
04-21-2005, 11:47 AM
No matter how many people predict failure, no matter how disgruntled they get, no matter how much gloom and doom I see, I don't actually believe anyone hopes or wishes for failure. This all stems from a root passion for the team that we all share to some degree. And sometimes people vent frustrations about something over which they can exercise no tangible degree of control. Because that's the real only outlet that any of us can find, constructive as it may not be.

As for the comment that it stems from issues of self esteem, self worth and projection? Perhaps. But, frankly, statements like that generally bring to mind visions of kettles and pots yelling at each other.

chiefs4me
04-21-2005, 11:47 AM
I learned a long time ago......no matter how much I pray to the football god...he doesn't like my chiefs. Win or lose..they are in my blood. I hate you carl...but I love MY CHIEFS.

ExtremeChief
04-21-2005, 11:53 AM
No, did I say we should sit around, hold hands and sing? No, I didnt. Again, I do appreciate another textbook example of what Im referring to.

Oops, I forgot I was dealing with the archivist. No, you didn't say that word for word. I have just got the impression in the past from you that you think it's funny, and a waste of time when anyone complains about the front office around here. The singing, holding hands stuff was SARCASM. If I have painted your opinion of the bb members in a light that was unfair, I apologize.

Good...Im glad for you. It wasnt my point, rather it has more to do with this BB/community dynamic than it does the team. Again, Im not going to get into it because it's a waste of time as evidenced by yours and Jims initial reactions.

I'd really hate to waste your time, but it would be nice if you would relate exactly what your are trying to say.

Me too.

:thumb:

KCTitus
04-21-2005, 11:56 AM
Oops, I forgot I was dealing with the archivist. No, you didn't say that word for word. I have just got the impression in the past from you that you think it's funny, and a waste of time when anyone complains about the front office around here. The singing, holding hands stuff was SARCASM. If I have painted your opinion of the bb members in a light that was unfair, I apologize.

I'd really hate to waste your time, but it would be nice if you would relate exactly what your are trying to say.

I tend to be pretty good at the sarcasm, and I didnt get it. I found it be hyperbole. I think it's funny that people get so worked up, but I dont think their criticism is a waste of time--I actually enjoy reading it--so I encourage it.

It would be nice, for a change, to actually have someone take what I say at face value and not interpret it and turn it into something else.

Mr. Laz
04-21-2005, 11:56 AM
this article has so much worthless crap in it that it's difficult to even read.

he's right about Carl ... but the article still sucks

htismaqe
04-21-2005, 12:10 PM
this article has so much worthless crap in it that it's difficult to even read.

he's right about Carl ... but the article still sucks

Exactly.

buddha
04-21-2005, 12:20 PM
Whitlock is spot on in 90% of this article. I think he's a sh*tbag, and the newspaper version of a shock jock, but this article is valid. The only place he loses me is when he calls Siavii a bust. You just can't say that after only one year.

I agree. I saw signs of life from Siavii last year, and you can't expect him to be Reggie White given where he was picked and how little football he has played. I still think Junior is going to be a player for the Chiefs.

Ryan Simms is another case altogether. He has had plenty of time to establish himself as more than a warm body at DT. This HAS to be his year...or else!

However, this was an odd comment by Whitlock...

Therefore, I'm not 5 to 6 pounds overweight.

Jason, you aren't 5-6 lbs. overweight. You aren't 50-60 lbs. overweight. You are at least 150 lbs. overweight. That's not intended to be slam, but it ironic that even in a piece such as that one, that he isn't willing to look past his own version of denial and myopia.

Count Alex's Losses
04-21-2005, 12:21 PM
Jason, you aren't 5-6 lbs. overweight. You aren't 50-60 lbs. overweight. You are at least 150 lbs. overweight. That's not intended to be slam, but it ironic that even in a piece such as that one, that he isn't willing to look past his own version of denial and myopia.

That was tongue in cheek. Jason knows he's a blimp.

C-Mac
04-21-2005, 01:03 PM
Therein is the rub. It's not us, the fans, who determine whether or not Peterson is successful, it's Lamar Hunt. Hunt has decided that Peterson has been successful, regardless of what has happened in the playoffs and there's not a lot we can do about it.

Lamar Hunt (as myself) remembers the 20 year playoff drought and the empty seats.

BigRedChief
04-21-2005, 01:09 PM
Dammitt Carl... Get it right. It's

Dammit Carl! :cuss:

go bowe
04-21-2005, 01:16 PM

Hating could be too strong a word, though, how about 'hoping/wishing for failure'.i dunno...

what i see is a whole lot of people hoping/wishing for success for the team, but who are dissapointed and therefore critical of team management like vlad says...

i know i want to see the team get into the playoffs and maybe win it all during my lifetime, but i'm running out of time (i'm 57)...

and i also know that i am very dissatisfied with carl's performance in the draft and considering his overall record (especially over the past, what is it, seven years?), i'm dismayed and distressed that carl was given a contract extension...

now, i'm not as pessimistic as vlad makes out to be, but i have zero confidence in carl and the front office being able to make a decent pick in the second round that will significantly help us on defense this year...

go bowe
04-21-2005, 01:19 PM
Now, does that mean I, as a season ticket holder from Vancouver, Wa. am happy about the lack of playoff success. NO, of course not but CP is doing exactly that Lamar wants him to do - make him money. I enjoy the live game experience and if I didn't I wouldn't go - wins or no wins. CP is selling a gametime experience not a guaranteed Super Bowl Champion. If he was doing the other, he'd been fired in 1995. IT'S A BUSINESS, whether we like it or not.oh, stop making so much sense... :cuss:

Logical
04-21-2005, 03:26 PM
i dunno...

what i see is a whole lot of people hoping/wishing for success for the team, but who are dissapointed and therefore critical of team management like vlad says...

i know i want to see the team get into the playoffs and maybe win it all during my lifetime, but i'm running out of time (i'm 57)...

and i also know that i am very dissatisfied with carl's performance in the draft and considering his overall record (especially over the past, what is it, seven years?), i'm dismayed and distressed that carl was given a contract extension...

now, i'm not as pessimistic as vlad makes out to be, but i have zero confidence in carl and the front office being able to make a decent pick in the second round that will significantly help us on defense this year...

Well said. Of course heap big injun undoubtedly also has heap ego, worth and projection issues as well.;)

Logical
04-21-2005, 03:34 PM
True. I'll tell you though, I'm starting to despise Hunt for rewarding Peterson with a new contract. I don't hate the Chiefs, like them deep down inside, but, my passion is starting to decline for this franchise a bit. Especially, after Hunt starts praising carl by saying,"He is one of the top echelon executives in this league". Makes you wonder, how you could love our owner for making preposterous statements like that. I certainly hate him for saying that.

I have to completely agree with this, it is almost as bad as Hunt naming that POS Jack Steadman to the Chiefs HOF. I truly think senility has set in when he allows such shit.

Taco John
04-21-2005, 03:40 PM
Not being a season ticket holder and thus, not a real Chiefs fan, Bob Dole is in no position to comment.

ROFL

BigRedChief
04-21-2005, 03:46 PM
I have to completely agree with this, it is almost as bad as Hunt naming that POS Jack Steadman to the Chiefs HOF. I truly think senility has set in when he allows such shit.

Steadman is in the Chiefs HOF? :banghead: WTF for?

Logical
04-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Steadman is in the Chiefs HOF? :banghead: WTF for?

Well to be completely accurate it was announced on the Chiefs website that he is the person that will be inducted this year during the season. I am pretty sure there is still a link to the article on their website that sites the bullshit reasons.

Otter
04-21-2005, 06:14 PM

You’re kinda contradicting yourself here, not much, but a little.

Hunt, Peterson or the Chiefs cannot be a success without a fan base. It’s the rules of the game plain and simple.

It’s like a bad marriage.

One side is too comfortable or scared or whatever to change and the other side feeds off that insecurity.