PDA

View Full Version : King Carl: Season Ticket Holders are the only "Real" Chief fans

BigRedChief
04-21-2005, 07:13 AM
You know something, we have 72,000 season-ticket holders, Peterson said. We've renewed 95 percent of those people again this year. I haven't had a letter or a fax or a phone call from any of those people. And I haven't, honest to goodness, I haven't had any letters from outside of that, if you want to say, sphere of what I consider real Kansas City Chiefs fans, because they step up each year and put their money down and say, I'm here to see the Chiefs.'

This could only happen here in KC. 12 years without a playoff win and he or columns on the Chiefs website diss the fans on a consistent basis.

Even though I'm a "Real" fan according to King Carl this just pisses me off more about this dude. Anybody else think this was out of line for a GM/CEO/Presidente to say publically?

the Talking Can
04-21-2005, 07:15 AM
Blame Lamar, he signed this asshole.

Unless Lamar says otherwise I assume he feels the same way.

KCTitus
04-21-2005, 07:16 AM
It's a good thing you renewed your tickets...

BigRedChief
04-21-2005, 07:18 AM

But at least now I'm down in the lower bowl.:p

oldandslow
04-21-2005, 07:18 AM
They go 8-8 or worse again this year and we will begin to see how many of those "real fans" decide their money could go to better causes.

KCTitus
04-21-2005, 07:19 AM
But at least now I'm down in the lower bowl.:p

nice work! :thumb:

BigRedChief
04-21-2005, 07:24 AM
nice work! :thumb:

I've heard that Saulbadguy and Stevie Ray are ticked that white trash is moving into their neighborhood but they will get over it. :)

jspchief
04-21-2005, 07:27 AM

Troll.

KChiefs1
04-21-2005, 07:39 AM
Are there any "REAL" Chiefs fan strong enough to resist the temptation to NOT renew their season tickets next year? :deevee:

shaneo69
04-21-2005, 08:19 AM
Cool. Now with the backing of Carl, I can pull rank on the imposter Chief fans that troll this board.

Brock
04-21-2005, 08:39 AM
Cool. Now with the backing of Carl, I can pull rank on the imposter Chief fans that troll this board.

Section/seat? Your opinion will be ranked accordingly. :p

bricks
04-21-2005, 08:56 AM

exactly

BigRedChief
04-21-2005, 08:56 AM

I'm in the lower bowl now so does that mean King Carl will answer my email now?:hmmm:

KCTitus
04-21-2005, 08:59 AM
Troll.

???

I thought it was funny, anyway.

J Diddy
04-21-2005, 09:00 AM
I'm in the lower bowl now so does that mean King Carl will answer my email now?:hmmm:

Only if you show receipts.

Mark M
04-21-2005, 09:02 AM

Section 118, row 29, seats 7&8.

So ... where do I rank in the world of true fans?

MM
~~:hmmm:

jspchief
04-21-2005, 09:09 AM
I think maybe I'm a subcontracted real fan.

Sec. 102 Row 20

mcan
04-21-2005, 10:05 AM
Watch the press conference... This is not what was said, and not what was meant.

Question: Given the critisism that you've recieved...
Peterson: (with a sarcastic smile) What critisism are you talking about?
Question: ...With the early draft picks among the fans...
Peterson: What fans are you talking about?
Question: (with snide voice) You've probably heard about it...
Peterson: You know something? We have 72,000 season ticket holders. We've renewed 95% of those people again this year. I haven't had a letter, or a fax, or a phone call from any of those people. And I haven't, honest to goodness, had any letters from outside, if you wanna say that sphere of people who I consider real Kansas City Chiefs fans. 'Cause they step each year and put their money down and say, I'm here to see the Chiefs. So, candidly, the critisism comes from some of the media. I, I'm even got it, at this point, at sixteen years, I don't consider it critisism, I consider it speculation. And that's what they get paid to do, speculate. And I respect that. And so, but anyway, go ahead with your question... 'considering the critisism we recieve...'
Question: Considering the 'outside' critisims...
Peterson: (sarcasticly) We talking about Philidelphia, or Chicago, or. OK.
Question: ...How important is it for you guys to hit a homerun... (intelligable)...
Peterson: I guess the same importance as when we traded up and drafted Tony Gonzalez and the same importance as when we traded back and drafted Trezelle Jenkins. It doesn't change, OK? Umm, I can't be influenced by, if you wanna say, some media critisism, OK. That's not my job. My job is take all this information, that these people (referring to Lynn Stiles to his right) work so hard to do. 'Cause I have experienced that, I know what it's like, I've been on the road, I've scouted, I've coached; put it all together. And try to, based on where we draft, and what the circumstances are at that particular time, make good decisions for the Kansas City Chiefs. Have they all been good decisions? No. Have their been some good ones? Yeah. Have their been some REALLY good ones? Yes.

Anyway, I have no problem with this. This is Carl saying that he doesn't value the conjecture of the people who get PAYED to watch the games. He values the "real" fans. The regular population that have to pay to watch on TV or in the seats. He's just putting this dipshit question (which is a thinly veiled dig) in it's place.

Count Zarth
04-21-2005, 10:09 AM
King Carl is Jerry Jones minus the success.

KCChiefsFan88
04-21-2005, 10:15 AM
So let me get this straight, using Carl's logic... despite their lack of production ON the field, Trezelle Jenkins, Eddie Freeman, Ryan Sims, Snoop Minnis, Eric Downings, Mike Cloud, Rashan Shehee, Pat Barnes and so on could all be considered successful draft picks because season ticket holders continued to re-new their tickets at a 95%+ rate? :shake:

mcan
04-21-2005, 10:20 AM
So let me get this straight, using Carl's logic... despite their lack of production ON the field, Trezelle Jenkins, Eddie Freeman, Ryan Sims, Snoop Minnis, Eric Downings, Mike Cloud, Rashan Shehee, Pat Barnes and so on could all be considered successful draft picks because season ticket holders continued to re-new their tickets at a 95%+ rate? :shake:

Not what he said at all. He said that he HAS made some bad choices, and elluded specifically to Trezelle as being one of them. What he said is that his job isn't to please the dumb ass media who is going to complain about something anyway. His job is to please the regular people by putting a competitive team on the field. So he feels just as much pressure with EVERY pick for it to be good. He doesn't feel EXTRA pressure this year... It makes for a much more intelligent and informed opinion when you:

A: Have the correct info (watch the press conference/read the transcript)

B: Put away your biases.

jspchief
04-21-2005, 10:22 AM
Anyway, I have no problem with this. This is Carl saying that he doesn't value the conjecture of the people who get PAYED to watch the games. He values the "real" fans. The regular population that have to pay to watch on TV or in the seats. He's just putting this dipshit question (which is a thinly veiled dig) in it's place.

The question is a thinly veiled dig? It's a legitimate question. "Is there added pressure to succeed in the early rounds, considering fan criticism of past drafts?"

First off, he barely even lets him ask the question. He interrupts and denies the first part of the question without ever hearing what the actual question is.

Secondly, the part of the question that CP starts denying, do you think it's untrue? Is it false that fans have been heavily critical CP regarding early draft picks?

It's an accurate statement. And Carl Peterson wants us to believe that it's not true, or it's only true of the media and non "true" fans.

If Carl had kept a level head, instead of letting Sh*tlock get to him, he could have answered the question and put him in his place. It would have been simple to say "We put a lot of emphasis on every draft pick every year. We want to get it right every time, it doesn't always happen, but it's our mindset going in". Instead, he goes on the defensive and tries to beat his chest over his success, as evidenced by full seats, and in the process insults a boatload of loyal fans and jams his foot so far down his throat that he'll never hear the end of it.

NewChief
04-21-2005, 10:22 AM
Section 118, row 29, seats 7&8.

So ... where do I rank in the world of true fans?

MM
~~:hmmm:

Those are nice seats. Not far from the ones I sometimes sit in (I get moved around a lot).

KCChiefsFan88
04-21-2005, 10:25 AM
Not what he said at all. He said that he HAS made some bad choices, and elluded specifically to Trezelle as being one of them. What he said is that his job isn't to please the dumb ass media who is going to complain about something anyway. His job is to please the regular people by putting a competitive team on the field. So he feels just as much pressure with EVERY pick for it to be good. He doesn't feel EXTRA pressure this year... It makes for a much more intelligent and informed opinion when you:

And who would these "regular people" be? The ass kissing homers such as Bob Gretz and company who are willing to blindly support Peterson no matter how many years go by without the Chiefs winning a playoff game?

And if you claim that his job is in fact to "please the regular people by putting a competitive team on the field", then its pretty hard to argue that Peterson has successfully achieved this based on 11 years since the team last won a playoff game, 1 playoff appearance in 7 years, etc.

Maybe you should take your own advice and put away your biases and remove your head from Carl's posterior

And give Gretz a hand while your at it.

patteeu
04-21-2005, 10:37 AM

You are the voice of reason on this issue. I couldn't agree more.

I've never had season tickets and I take no offense over Carl Peterson's comments.

patteeu
04-21-2005, 10:42 AM
And who would these "regular people" be? The ass kissing homers such as Bob Gretz and company who are willing to blindly support Peterson no matter how many years go by without the Chiefs winning a playoff game?

And if you claim that his job is in fact to "please the regular people by putting a competitive team on the field", then its pretty hard to argue that Peterson has successfully achieved this based on 11 years since the team last won a playoff game, 1 playoff appearance in 7 years, etc.

Maybe you should take your own advice and put away your biases and remove your head from Carl's posterior

And give Gretz a hand while your at it.

The measure of whether or not Carl Peterson has "please[d] the regular people" is whether or not he is still selling out the stadium, getting season ticket holders to renew, and creating a market for Chiefs' logo merchandise. Your particular standards of what constitutes a "competitive team" are irrelevant. It is only when enough people start to agree with you and start spending their entertainment dollar elsewhere that it will be reasonable to say that Carl Peterson isn't getting his job done.

KCTitus
04-21-2005, 11:04 AM
If Carl had kept a level head, instead of letting Sh*tlock get to him, he could have answered the question and put him in his place. It would have been simple to say "We put a lot of emphasis on every draft pick every year. We want to get it right every time, it doesn't always happen, but it's our mindset going in". Instead, he goes on the defensive and tries to beat his chest over his success, as evidenced by full seats, and in the process insults a boatload of loyal fans and jams his foot so far down his throat that he'll never hear the end of it.

Good analysis...

chiefs4me
04-21-2005, 11:14 AM
I wish I had season tickets..we have had several chances to buy them but the other half says he is not wasting good money...:deevee: Yea he hates my chiefs. Plus if I did have them being in texas I would end up spending 500 or more dollars to make the games. I could certainly make the games. But the driving and crap that goes along with it sucks...he has promised if we move back home.....he gets his bike and I get my tickets...

BigRedChief
04-21-2005, 11:22 AM
I wish I had season tickets..we have had several chances to buy them but the other half says he is not wasting good money...:deevee: Yea he hates my chiefs. Plus if I did have them being in texas I would end up spending 500 or more dollars to make the games. I could certainly make the games. But the driving and crap that goes along with it sucks...he has promised if we move back home.....he gets his bike and I get my tickets...

Just who wears the pants in your family?:p

Manila-Chief
04-21-2005, 11:31 AM
Hey Guys,

Got a suggestion for those of you who have season tickets and are not homers. If you don't like the way Kingless is drafting or running the Chiefs ... why not write a snail mail letter to him? Maybe send it with a return cert.?

He said in the news conference that he has not received one piece of mail. (Now, I find that difficult to believe???... surely there has been at least one season ticket holder who has let him know how he/she feels?)

I'm not talking about being ugly but let him know how many of us feel.

It's kinda difficult for me to comute to games from over 8 thousands miles away from K.C. ... thus my letter will not have any influence upon him that yours will have.

jarjar
04-21-2005, 11:32 AM
I hate to state the obvious... but apparently it isn't as obvious as I thought?
Carl was talking about the ticket holders as opposed to the media. A lot of the media, especially the radio guys, are dumbasses so it's worth saying. I guess internet forums count too though so maybe some people here should be mad.

Mr. Laz
04-21-2005, 11:32 AM

yep

KCTitus
04-21-2005, 11:38 AM
It's kinda difficult for me to comute to games from over 8 thousands miles away from K.C...

wimp.

HolmeZz
04-21-2005, 11:38 AM
Calling them 'real' fans is Carl's way of thanking them for dishing out good money to watch a sub-par product on the field year-in and year-out.

Ari Chi3fs
04-21-2005, 12:09 PM
**** carl peterson.

BigRedChief
04-21-2005, 12:10 PM
**** carl peterson.

Youre the owner of www.firecarlpeterson.com (http://www.firecarlpeterson.com) . Do something about it.

BigRedChief
04-21-2005, 12:16 PM
Nice article on whos a "real" Chiefs fan at the other Chiefs site. http://www.chiefscoalition.net/2004pro/index.php?id=100

mcan
04-21-2005, 12:42 PM
jspchief,

I agree with your post. I totally think that what makes Carl hated by the media (and likewise a lot of other people) is his mobster like image and mentality. If he were a really nice guy and wanted to ignore all the thinly veiled insults in the questions and just answer with "coach/media speak" then he wouldn't catch all this gruff.

For those of you who think this is a legitamate question and not an insult consider what the question means and implies.

"Considering (our opinion). Do you feel more pressure (to do your job correctly/the way we think it should be done)?

Kind of implies that they think he HASN'T done his job. A lot of people here have this opinion, and that's fine. But don't expect him to NOT defend himself when you call him a loser to his face...

philfree
04-21-2005, 01:02 PM
I can't blame a guy for defending himself and really expect him to. He might have chosen his words differently though. He doesn't have to give this interview and when he does he gets attacked. I don't live in K.C. and never have but I hate the press' coverege of the Chiefs and especialy Whitlock. (Yeah I know he writes an opinion column for the Star and he doesn't cover the Chiefs.)

PhilFree:arrow:

Logical
04-21-2005, 01:25 PM

Like Carl's ignorant bias against the media that play a crucial role in the teams success as far as fan interest? Or that only those fans in the seats every game are real fans to be listened to? Why should we put away our bias against Carl when Carl clearly does not.

Logical
04-21-2005, 01:31 PM
The measure of whether or not Carl Peterson has "please[d] the regular people" is whether or not he is still selling out the stadium, getting season ticket holders to renew, and creating a market for Chiefs' logo merchandise. Your particular standards of what constitutes a "competitive team" are irrelevant. It is only when enough people start to agree with you and start spending their entertainment dollar elsewhere that it will be reasonable to say that Carl Peterson isn't getting his job done.Well after that dumbass comment this year will be the last year I fly out from San Diego to spend money on the Chiefs until Carl is gone. I would cancel this year but I had already made a promise to my daughter that I would take her to Arrowhead for a game this year.

KCChiefsFan88
04-21-2005, 01:58 PM
The measure of whether or not Carl Peterson has "please[d] the regular people" is whether or not he is still selling out the stadium, getting season ticket holders to renew, and creating a market for Chiefs' logo merchandise. Your particular standards of what constitutes a "competitive team" are irrelevant. It is only when enough people start to agree with you and start spending their entertainment dollar elsewhere that it will be reasonable to say that Carl Peterson isn't getting his job done.

The measure of whether or not most GMs in the league are getting their jobs done are usually based on the team's ultimate success ON the field (wins/losses, playoff appearances, etc)

For example most people don't call the Ravens' GM Ozzie Newsome a good GM because he is able to fill their stadium to capacity year after year, its because of the team's success ON the field and in the draft, under his guidance that have earned him these praises.

patteeu
04-21-2005, 01:58 PM
Well after that dumbass comment this year will be the last year I fly out from San Diego to spend money on the Chiefs until Carl is gone. I would cancel this year but I had already made a promise to my daughter that I would take her to Arrowhead for a game this year.

I hope you and your daughter have a great time at the game. Maybe, if things work out well this season you will change your mind, but if not, that's OK too. You should definitely spend your money on something that gives you pleasure.

It will take several thousand more like you to make a significant dent in Carl's success though. To be honest, while I do respect your opinion, you've been one of the most pessimistic Chiefs fans on this board for a long time so I don't really consider you a bellwether of Chiefs fandom. My optimism probably makes me an outlier too, FWIW, but as long as Carl Peterson is running the show, my money is on continued turnstile success.

whoman69
04-21-2005, 02:00 PM
Guess I'm not a real fan. I have to wonder if I can scrape up enough money to even go to one game this year.

whoman69
04-21-2005, 02:03 PM
Thank you Carl for your very Calvinistic view of fandom. Evidently, there's only room for 70,000 Chiefs fans in the world.

Logical
04-21-2005, 02:22 PM
I hope you and your daughter have a great time at the game. Maybe, if things work out well this season you will change your mind, but if not, that's OK too. You should definitely spend your money on something that gives you pleasure.

It will take several thousand more like you to make a significant dent in Carl's success though. To be honest, while I do respect your opinion, you've been one of the most pessimistic Chiefs fans on this board for a long time so I don't really consider you a bellwether of Chiefs fandom. My optimism probably makes me an outlier too, FWIW, but as long as Carl Peterson is running the show, my money is on continued turnstile success.

FTR sadly I agree with your last statement. I saw how long it took Lamar to do something about Steadman and then he put the jackass in the Chiefs HOF anyway. In the end our problems lie with Hunt and Peterson is only a high ranking symptom.

patteeu
04-21-2005, 02:31 PM
The measure of whether or not most GMs in the league are getting their jobs done are usually based on the team's ultimate success ON the field (wins/losses, playoff appearances, etc)

For example most people don't call the Ravens' GM Ozzie Newsome a good GM because he is able to fill their stadium to capacity year after year, its because of the team's success ON the field and in the draft, under his guidance that have earned him these praises.

I suppose success can be measured in many ways (although what we were specifically talking about was success at pleasing regular people). Certainly, if the desired end is to please the fans (or the ownership), one of the best means would be to field a winning football team. But that's not necessary. Just like it's useful to have championship rings on your resume when the Hall of Fame reviews your career, but most people would agree that Barry Sanders belongs in the Hall of Fame despite his failure in that regard.

My measure of success is an objective external measurement based on fan response. Your measure is objective (e.g. hoisting the Lombardi trophy), but it only is only tied to fan pleasure implicitly.

My measure of whether a GM is pleasing ownership is whether he is terminated or given a raise/extension. Jimmy Johnson won a couple of Superbowls for the Cowboys, but this obviously wasnt enough to keep Jerry Jones happy enough to maintain the relationship and they parted ways.

My measure of whether a GM is pleasing pundits is whether they are writing complementary or critical articles. Carl Peterson could find a way to mold 22 undrafted free agents into a championship team and Kevin Keitzman would still find a way to attack him (e.g. he doesn't have enough K-State wildcat alums on the team).

My measure of whether a GM is pleasing the fans is whether they show up with money in hand or not. If the GM fields a cellar dwelling team but has nude dancers at halftime and an open bar through the 3rd quarter, he might still be pleasing the crowd (although the character of the crowd might be slightly different than the current season ticket base).

Big Chief Homer
04-21-2005, 02:32 PM
jspchief,

I agree with your post. I totally think that what makes Carl hated by the media (and likewise a lot of other people) is his mobster like image and mentality. If he were a really nice guy and wanted to ignore all the thinly veiled insults in the questions and just answer with "coach/media speak" then he wouldn't catch all this gruff.

For those of you who think this is a legitamate question and not an insult consider what the question means and implies.

"Considering (our opinion). Do you feel more pressure (to do your job correctly/the way we think it should be done)?

Kind of implies that they think he HASN'T done his job. A lot of people here have this opinion, and that's fine. But don't expect him to NOT defend himself when you call him a loser to his face...

Carl Peterson has not done his job and anyone who thinks he has,hasnt been watching closely enough.

He has failed to put together ,on a regular Basis a winning team,with winning players.He has failed year after year with draft picks(with the exception of 4 or 5 in 16 years).He has FAILED TO WIN A SUPER BOWL in 16 years.He has also failed to give his owner a conference championship trophy which beares his name.

He is the longest tenured GM in the league and he hasnt won squat.

HIS TIME WITH THIS ORGANIZATION HAS BEEN AND WILL CONTINUE TO BE A FAILURE.The fans know it,the media knows it,the players know it,his coaches know it and I believe even he knows it.thats why he is getting to be so defensive.

unfortuantly, the only one who doesnt know it is Lamar Hunt

Mile High Mania
04-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Over the last year or two, Peterson has said things and definitely has done things that has really stirred up the masses at ChiefsPlanet.

I've been waiting for that moment when something happens and this place freaking erupts in an emotional response towards Peterson that truly illustrates the power of not only the Internet... but ChiefsPlanet.

I think this is a great opportunity for you guys to rise up and show him you're pissed. He obviously thinks he's received an A+ from the fans...

...well, the real fans that is.

Big Chief Homer
04-21-2005, 02:35 PM
The only thing i have to say to Carl Peterson is

Your ass doesnt need to be in the seat for your Heart to be with the team.

I was a Chiefs fan before Carl Peterson and I'll be a real fan long after hes gone!!!!!

patteeu
04-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Over the last year or two, Peterson has said things and definitely has done things that has really stirred up the masses at ChiefsPlanet.

I've been waiting for that moment when something happens and this place freaking erupts in an emotional response towards Peterson that truly illustrates the power of not only the Internet... but ChiefsPlanet.

I think this is a great opportunity for you guys to rise up and show him you're pissed. He obviously thinks he's received an A+ from the fans...

...well, the real fans that is.

ROFL

Logical
04-21-2005, 02:53 PM

My measure of whether a GM is pleasing the fans is whether they show up with money in hand or not. If the GM fields a cellar dwelling team but has nude dancers at halftime and an open bar through the 3rd quarter, he might still be pleasing the crowd (although the character of the crowd might be slightly different than the current season ticket base).

I know quite a few Bosox fans that prior to last year would absolutely tell you they were not pleased with their management, same for the Cubs. I cannot help it if you and Lamar have low standards. If I wanted to cheer for a successful business I would root for Microsoft.

Mark M
04-21-2005, 03:46 PM
I suppose success can be measured in many ways (although what we were specifically talking about was success at pleasing regular people). Certainly, if the desired end is to please the fans (or the ownership), one of the best means would be to field a winning football team. But that's not necessary. Just like it's useful to have championship rings on your resume when the Hall of Fame reviews your career, but most people would agree that Barry Sanders belongs in the Hall of Fame despite his failure in that regard.

My measure of success is an objective external measurement based on fan response. Your measure is objective (e.g. hoisting the Lombardi trophy), but it only is only tied to fan pleasure implicitly.

My measure of whether a GM is pleasing ownership is whether he is terminated or given a raise/extension. Jimmy Johnson won a couple of Superbowls for the Cowboys, but this obviously wasnt enough to keep Jerry Jones happy enough to maintain the relationship and they parted ways.

My measure of whether a GM is pleasing pundits is whether they are writing complementary or critical articles. Carl Peterson could find a way to mold 22 undrafted free agents into a championship team and Kevin Keitzman would still find a way to attack him (e.g. he doesn't have enough K-State wildcat alums on the team).

My measure of whether a GM is successful is if he has won a Super Bowl. That's why they keep score. That's why the keep records of wins and losses. If he doesn't do that, then he has failed.

The only other people who have been wrong in KC more than Peterson, and are still employed, are those that do the weather.

And even some of those goons got shitcanned.

The fact is, Peterson has as many Super Bowl rings as I do. And that's not good.

MM
~~:shake:

crossbow
04-21-2005, 05:43 PM

If your email had negative comments or suggestions that were directed at him then, no. It never happened. He has spam software that strips it from their mail servers.

Which reminds me. Didn't he pilot the Exon Valdeze or was that Greg Robinson? I get those two mixed up.

mcan
04-21-2005, 06:42 PM
The general manager's job is two fold:

1. Hire the best coaches he can find at the price that he is allowed to pay, and likewise get the best player's possible in order to give every opportunity for the team to be successfula.

2. Fill the seats.

---Suppose there was a team REALLY SUCKED for a VERY long time, but they still sold out games and tried like hell all the time to turn it around. I would say THAT general manager is doing a great job.

---Suppose there is a team that is amazing, and wins lots of ballgames, but for some reason, people just don't like the sport or whatever and the team hardly makes any money. I would say THAT general manager is doing a lousy job.

Logical
04-21-2005, 06:52 PM
The general manager's job is two fold:

1. Hire the best coaches he can find at the price that he is allowed to pay, and likewise get the best player's possible in order to give every opportunity for the team to be successfula.

2. Fill the seats.

---Suppose there was a team REALLY SUCKED for a VERY long time, but they still sold out games and tried like hell all the time to turn it around. I would say THAT general manager is doing a great job.

---Suppose there is a team that is amazing, and wins lots of ballgames, but for some reason, people just don't like the sport or whatever and the team hardly makes any money. I would say THAT general manager is doing a lousy job.

Like I said earlier, based on those priorties, root for Microsoft.

Ultra Peanut
04-21-2005, 06:55 PM
To be fair to the dildo, he only said he considered the people who are season ticket holders real fans. He didn't say they were the only true fans.

patteeu
04-21-2005, 07:27 PM
I know quite a few Bosox fans that prior to last year would absolutely tell you they were not pleased with their management, same for the Cubs. I cannot help it if you and Lamar have low standards. If I wanted to cheer for a successful business I would root for Microsoft.

Season ticket holders are pleased enough to part with their money no matter how much they grumble. Chiefs season ticket holders prefer watching Carl Peterson's team over the vacation they decided not to take instead or the hookers they decided not to buy or the swimming pool they decided not to have built. No one holds a gun to their heads when they decide how to spend their entertainment dollar.

Logical
04-21-2005, 07:38 PM
Season ticket holders are pleased enough to part with their money no matter how much they grumble. Chiefs season ticket holders prefer watching Carl Peterson's team over the vacation they decided not to take instead or the hookers they decided not to buy or the swimming pool they decided not to have built. No one holds a gun to their heads when they decide how to spend their entertainment dollar.

You know I would have season tickets if I still lived in KC not because I am the slight bit pleased with KC but because of how entertaining it is to get together on those weekends in the Arrowhead parking lot and tailgate. Good friends and good times. I know of other people that still go for only that reason. So are you really sure they are all pleased with the Chiefs or is it the other things that the Arrowhead experience brings to the table?

Logical
04-21-2005, 07:43 PM
To be fair to the dildo, he only said he considered the people who are season ticket holders real fans. He didn't say they were the only true fans.

Well you are trying to be nice but I don't agree. After first talking about the 72,000 he closes with:

if you want to say, sphere of what I consider real Kansas City Chiefs fans, because they step up each year and put their money down and say, I'm here to see the Chiefs.

You have to be incredibly generous not to believe he was only talking about the season ticket holders.

Mr. Laz
04-21-2005, 07:46 PM
and that says a ton about the loyalty of the people of kanas city to the football team. It doesn't however say anything to the quality of job carl peterson is doing as a General Manager.

philfree
04-21-2005, 08:19 PM
Maybe he was just saying "Whitlock you've never even purchased a ticket so STFD and STFU!" :hmmm: Yes I believe that was it :)

StcChief
04-21-2005, 08:44 PM
Carl has kept the stadium full.
For those who suffered thru the 70-80s the teams he has had look alot better. Despite some draft problems.

If Carl can get a CB signed and build this teams D, draft well this year with an eye to the future and have these draft picks pan out. We might have shot.

He keeps it full at 72,000 with plenty of folks waiting in line for season tickets.

Lamar sees $ there.

Semi competitive exciting to watch football.

A SB would be great now, Carl you could call it a successful job in KC. Anything else and you fell short.

mcan
04-21-2005, 09:47 PM
You have to be incredibly generous not to believe he was only talking about the season ticket holders.

I disagree entirely... His point was directed entirely in a different direction. He was talking about how the media guys are not the true fans. Of course, if you already dislike Peterson, then you aren't going to see the obvious... You will see what your predisposition WANTS you to see. Because then, you get to be right. All I can say is this, I've watched the entire press conference and I feel pretty confident that Carl Peterson didn't intend to call me (a 'watch at home' fan) some kind of "false" fan. I'm reasonably certain what he meant to do was call some media guy a fu*cker without having to upset the censors.

bigbucks24
04-21-2005, 10:35 PM
If the GM fields a cellar dwelling team but has nude dancers at halftime and an open bar through the 3rd quarter, he might still be pleasing the crowd (although the character of the crowd might be slightly different than the current season ticket base).

Then I'd become a Chief's fan!

Logical
04-21-2005, 10:58 PM
Maybe he was just saying "Whitlock you've never even purchased a ticket so STFD and STFU!" :hmmm: Yes I believe that was it :)

PhilFree:arrow:No matter what I actually believe that was funny. :clap:

philfree
04-21-2005, 11:14 PM
No matter what I actually believe that was funny. :clap:

True things are usually funny. I can see why Carl would balk when Jason plays the "Chiefs Fans" card. He fell for the bait this time though giving Whitlock and 'Carl Haters' else where plenty of ammo to blow up with. I think Jason should do a Jime Rome type of interview with Simms and Siavii and call them busts over and over again to their faces till they go Jim Everett on him. That would be beautiful :)

Logical
04-22-2005, 12:03 AM
True things are usually funny. I can see why Carl would balk when Jason plays the "Chiefs Fans" card. He fell for the bait this time though giving Whitlock and 'Carl Haters' else where plenty of ammo to blow up with. I think Jason should do a Jime Rome type of interview with Simms and Siavii and call them busts over and over again to their faces till they go Jim Everett on him. That would be beautiful :)

I don't recall Jason saying Siavii was a bust, just someone that did not help the Chiefs last season. I may have missed it.

BigRedChief
04-22-2005, 07:17 AM

As the ring leader of the He-Man King Carl Hater club I would like to say....Wait a mintue...Are you defending King Carls comments?

Ultra Peanut
04-22-2005, 08:06 AM
Well you are trying to be nice but I don't agree. After first talking about the 72,000 he closes with:

You have to be incredibly generous not to believe he was only talking about the season ticket holders.He says, basically, in that circle of people, which he considers to be a group of real fans, blah blah blah.

The season ticket holders are included on his "real fan" list, but he's not excluding others from being on that list, as well.

BigRedChief
04-22-2005, 08:19 AM
Maybe he deided to quit being a hard nosed SOB and swallow his ego and give up the #2 after the public fallout from his comments?

philfree
04-22-2005, 08:54 AM
As the ring leader of the He-Man King Carl Hater club I would like to say....Wait a mintue...Are you defending King Carls comments?

I guess I am but more then that it's just no big deal to me. It's Whitlock picking on Carl and Carl not taking it :shrug: Of course I'm a real fan with season tickets and all so :)

whoman69
04-22-2005, 09:02 AM
He says, basically, in that circle of people, which he considers to be a group of real fans, blah blah blah.

The season ticket holders are included on his "real fan" list, but he's not excluding others from being on that list, as well.
I haven't had any letters from outside of that, if you want to say, sphere of what I consider real Kansas City Chiefs fans, because they step up each year and put their money down and say, I'm here to see the Chiefs.'
I think from the statement, you are only guessing when you state that there are real fans that are not season ticket holders. He doesn't mention anyone outside of season ticket holders that are within that sphere. I disagree because even if I lived in KC there would be no way I could afford season tickets. Guess I'm not a real fan.

BigRedChief
04-22-2005, 09:02 AM
I guess I am but more then that it's just no big deal to me. It's Whitlock picking on Carl and Carl not taking it :shrug: Of course I'm a real fan with season tickets and all so :)

Elitist snob:p BTW, I'm in the lower bowl now. So :hail: to King Carl!

Ultra Peanut
04-22-2005, 09:11 AM
I think from the statement, you are only guessing when you state that there are real fans that are not season ticket holders. And you're not guessing that he's implying that the only real fans are the ones who have season tickets? The context would seem to indicate that he was just saying he considered those people real fans and was trying to get across that he thought their opinions mattered a lot.

It is true, however, that the only definitive statement that can be said one way or the other about it is that he neither excludes others nor includes others in that "sphere." I think even a pompous ass like him realizes how foolish it would be to say something like, "There are only 70,000 'real' fans of this franchise," though.

patteeu
04-22-2005, 09:36 AM
You know I would have season tickets if I still lived in KC not because I am the slight bit pleased with KC but because of how entertaining it is to get together on those weekends in the Arrowhead parking lot and tailgate. Good friends and good times. I know of other people that still go for only that reason. So are you really sure they are all pleased with the Chiefs or is it the other things that the Arrowhead experience brings to the table?

My position is that they are pleased with the package as a whole (not that they are pleased with all aspects of the package). It looks like we can agree on that much.

patteeu
04-22-2005, 09:42 AM
Maybe he deided to quit being a hard nosed SOB and swallow his ego and give up the #2 after the public fallout from his comments?

He didn't quit being a hard nosed SOB or swallow his ego. His hard nosed posturing got Surtain for less than the straight-up 2nd round pick that many on this board were advocating for the past few weeks. I don't think Carl Peterson is influenced much by the critical chatter from the radio talk shows or the internet.

BigRedChief
04-22-2005, 09:59 AM
He didn't quit being a hard nosed SOB or swallow his ego. His hard nosed posturing got Surtain for less than the straight-up 2nd round pick that many on this board were advocating for the past few weeks. I don't think Carl Peterson is influenced much by the critical chatter from the radio talk shows or the internet.

You are wrong ole wise one. The Chiefs are defintely influnced by public opinion. Now they may not pay attention to the Planet or Whitlock but they do pay attention to what their fans are saying. They might not act on that opinion but they are listening.