PDA

View Full Version : Some Derrick Johnson video

bricks
04-21-2005, 12:18 PM
http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/...00 johnson.html (http://mackbrown-texasfootball.com/...00 johnson.html)

KChiefs1
04-21-2005, 12:50 PM
Man, he'd sure look good in a Chiefs uni! :clap:

KCJake
04-21-2005, 01:39 PM
Doesn't work :shrug:

Demonpenz
04-21-2005, 01:49 PM
holy shit that one hit was awesome

Redcoats58
04-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Video link doesn't work.

Pennywise
04-21-2005, 01:51 PM
I saw one yesterday with a bunch of highlights of ankle tackling.

No thanks...

jspchief
04-21-2005, 01:53 PM
The link doesn't work. If you go to mackbrown-texasfootball.com (http://mackbrown-texasfootball.com)and click on "complete video library" theres a DJ highlight video about 15 listings down.

Honestly, after watching that, I know I don't want him as a Chief. He's an excellent athlete but he's about as poor a tackler as I've ever seen. If he makes 75 tackles in that highlight video, I bet he only wraps up on 5 of them. I'm impressed with his ability to get to the ball, but very unimpressed with what he does when he gets there.

If you thought Donnie Edwards couldn't bring anybody down, wait until DJ gets in the NFL. Those shoulder tackles at the knee will make him look like a fool at this level. Reminded me of Shawn Barber and his inability to use his arms when tackling.

Pennywise
04-21-2005, 01:56 PM
http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/pages/videoclips/2004_05/111104_johnson.html

Try this one.

Demonpenz
04-21-2005, 02:01 PM
I saw one yesterday with a bunch of highlights of ankle tackling.

No thanks...

I don't remember DT ever standing a ball carrier up or taking on a block. Johnson will be a playmaker

Redcoats58
04-21-2005, 02:04 PM
The only thing it looks like he would have to work on is wrapping up. I noticed alot of low tackles(which is good) where it looked like he just threw his body into them instead of completely grabbing hold. Reminded me alot of the Chiefs players not wrapping up. You can't get away with that in the NFL. JMO

jspchief
04-21-2005, 02:06 PM
I don't remember DT ever standing a ball carrier up or taking on a block. Johnson will be a playmaker
Derrick Thomas used his arms when tackled. Did you watch the video? Tackling like that in the NFL will make him a laughing stock.

Demonpenz
04-21-2005, 02:07 PM
Johnsons strong suit will be stripping balls, creating INT's and big hits.

Demonpenz
04-21-2005, 02:08 PM
Derrick Thomas used his arms when tackled. Did you watch the video? Tackling like that in the NFL will make him a laughing stock.

of course Dt used his arms... To bring QB's down. The video shows him tackling ball carriers. Thomas was bad against the run.

jarjar
04-21-2005, 02:09 PM
Maybe this link will work.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?H6E821FEA

Redcoats58
04-21-2005, 02:12 PM
Maybe this link will work.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?H6E821FEA
Thanks, Pennywise's link worked above.

jspchief
04-21-2005, 02:15 PM
of course Dt used his arms... To bring QB's down. The video shows him tackling ball carriers. Thomas was bad against the run.
Uhhh...?

So when tackling the QB you should use your arms, but when tackling the ball carrier you should shoulder tackle with you arms at your side, and not wrap up?

If you ask me, DJ's strong suit will be spearing and bouncing off NFL running backs. There was one big hit in that entire video, and it was a high/low where someone else made initial contact. The "strips" were all because his shoulder happened to hit the ball when he dove at the guy's ankles.

The guy can get to the ball, no doubt about it. I just don't like what he does when he gets there.

elvomito
04-21-2005, 02:22 PM
its obvious this guy is playing against inferior talent.
and
he looks like Larry Johnson dammit

Demonpenz
04-21-2005, 02:26 PM
Uhhh...?

So when tackling the QB you should use your arms, but when tackling the ball carrier you should shoulder tackle with you arms at your side, and not wrap up?

If you ask me, DJ's strong suit will be spearing and bouncing off NFL running backs. There was one big hit in that entire video, and it was a high/low where someone else made initial contact. The "strips" were all because his shoulder happened to hit the ball when he dove at the guy's ankles.

The guy can get to the ball, no doubt about it. I just don't like what he does when he gets there.

I am saying you guys are looking at it wrong. If you want him to come up and stuff at the line or take on ball carriers thats not what he is ment to do. He is ment to go sideline to sideline and use his speed. barring him being a complete ****ing idiot he will learn how to use his arms.

Demonpenz
04-21-2005, 02:28 PM
it does really matter anyway we are going to get that ware kid who is another tweener

jspchief
04-21-2005, 02:53 PM
I am saying you guys are looking at it wrong. If you want him to come up and stuff at the line or take on ball carriers thats not what he is ment to do. He is ment to go sideline to sideline and use his speed. barring him being a complete ****ing idiot he will learn how to use his arms.

I'm not sure what stuffing the line or taking on ball carriers has to do with anything that's been said in this thread.

As far as his tackling skills, I'd think starting four years in the Big 12 would be enough time to learn the fundamentals of good tackling. The NFL is full of guys that are poor tacklers and none of them have learned to use their arms yet. Sooner or later a trend becomes a habit.

Demonpenz
04-21-2005, 02:57 PM
I'm not sure what stuffing the line or taking on ball carriers has to do with anything that's been said in this thread.

As far as his tackling skills, I'd think starting four years in the Big 12 would be enough time to learn the fundamentals of good tackling. The NFL is full of guys that are poor tacklers and none of them have learned to use their arms yet. Sooner or later a trend becomes a habit.

learning fundamentals from greg robinson is like gochiefs teaching me how to **** a girl

jspchief
04-21-2005, 03:01 PM
learning fundamentals from greg robinson is like gochiefs teaching me how to **** a girlNice try. Unfortunately, G-Rob was only his coach for one out of his four years at Texas.

ChiefsCountry
04-21-2005, 03:05 PM
Nice try. Unfortunately, G-Rob was only his coach for one out of his four years at Texas.

Too bad Texas D-Cordinator before G-Rob was just as bad.

Demonpenz
04-21-2005, 03:08 PM
Nice try. Unfortunately, G-Rob was only his coach for one out of his four years at Texas.

I know :) I don't know if i will be around tonight so I thought i would get my gochiefs bash in early. I see your point though. In the video's he doesn't tackle. My point is that the guy makes plays. We haven't had a guy to make that one stop or one turnover since DT. Everyone else in the draft looks look like good pieces to D, but DJ is the only player that I see that can flat out change a Loss into a win. This is of course moot because we are going to draft a hybrid Centerfielder/DT/kicker/

whoman69
04-21-2005, 03:29 PM
Nothing in that video that changes my mind, he would not make a great addition to the Chiefs.

jarjar
04-21-2005, 03:33 PM
I gotta admit, that isn't a flattering video. Most (all?) of those tackles wouldn't have done much in the NFL.

LiL stumppy
04-21-2005, 04:15 PM
What do you expect,he plays for texas.

KC Margarita Man
04-21-2005, 06:32 PM
Wow! A linebacker who explodes through the hole and hits people!

KC Margarita Man
04-21-2005, 06:40 PM
If we draft him does that stupid "that's my D.J." rap come with him?

DaKCMan AP
04-21-2005, 06:57 PM
Great instincts, speed, awareness, explosion. Pitiful tackling.

jspchief
04-22-2005, 06:18 AM
I should clarify my statements. I probably wouldn't be pissed if we took him. He's clearly a gifted athlete. I just think he's a long way from being a star in the NFL.

After watching this team's horrible tackling for 3+ years straight, I'm anxious to get a guy that takes down everything in his path. Shoulder tackles and diving at players' knees won't get it done in the NFL.

Even if he's on the board, I hope we take another direction.

bricks
04-22-2005, 07:25 AM
Sorry, about that link guys...Thank you Pennywise and jspchief for helping me out...anyway, I'm sure you all know where i was trying to get at.

*Now, to derrick Johnson, I think he needs to work on his tackling ability. Gawd if he doesn't wrap up, like jspchief said he'll be a joke in the NFL.
That i agree with. The other aspects of his game look real good, his sideline to sideline speed is amazing. He has the ability to blow up plays, notice how he has a real knack for the ball? Something, a lot of our defensive players don't have? :shrug: I also noticed DJ has a bit of trouble shedding off his blockers.
All the man has to do is work on his tackling ability, and have better ability to fight off his blockers. If he can work on those 2 things, he'll be a player. But, it doesn't surprise me to see he has those problems coming from a Greg Robinson coached linebacker.

Kyle401
04-22-2005, 08:33 AM
If you want to see a reason why he may fall to us if we stay at #15, look no further than this video. As others have pointed out his tackling technique needs work. A perfect example is towards the beginning of the video against North Texas. Johnson shoots the gap with his arms down at his hips and completely whiffs on NT QB Scott Hall (#11). If he had been utilizing proper technique, (arms out to wrap up) this would have been a big hit and he would have buried Hall behind the LOS. For some reason this clip made this highlight video because Hall is then stripped by his RB James Mitchell (#37). Johnson was so far out of the play, he didn't even recover the fumble (which bounces backward).

I still think that Johnson will be a player at the next level. If he should fall to #15, we shouldn't hesitate to take him.