PDA

View Full Version : CB Dyson signs with Seattle

ZootedGranny
04-21-2005, 03:20 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2042832

Working to fill another area of need before the draft, the Seattle Seahawks on Thursday reached a contract agreement with unrestricted free agent cornerback Andre Dyson, ESPN.com has learned.

The fourth-year veteran, who had played his entire career with the Tennessee Titans, was one of the last few quality players remaining in the free agent pool. He will sign a five-year, $17.5 million deal that includes a signing bonus of $3 million and a total of about $6 million in guarantees.

Dyson is the second veteran cornerback acquired by the Seahawks in the last month; former Denver cornerback Kelly Herndon, a third-year veteran and restricted free agent, started all 16 games for the Broncos in 2004. The Seahawks lost standout cornerback Ken Lucas to Carolina in free agency. Seattle also has former first-round cornerback Marcus Trufant.

Dyson, 25, chose Seattle's proposal over offers from the New York Jets and the Titans. He had visited with Jets officials over the weekend and New York made a formal offer a few days ago. Talks with the Titans, for whom Dyson started all four seasons, had been on-and-off through much of the offseason.

The Seahawks met with Dyson several weeks ago but, after securing Herndon, seemed to cool on him. When it became obvious in the last few days that Dyson would strike a deal elsewhere before the draft, the Seahawks resumed negotiations.

Given his consistent productivity, it is surprising that Dyson did not generate even more interest in free agency, particularly in the early stages of the signing period, when the cornerback position was in demand.

Tennessee has now lost both of its starting cornerbacks, Dyson and Samari Rolle, from last season. The Titans will almost certainly be forced to address their cornerback issues in the draft, possibly in the first round. They have the sixth pick overall.

A former Utah standout, Dyson was selected by the Titans in the second round of the 2001 draft. He appeared in 62 games, and started in 59 of them, including starting all 16 games in each of the past three seasons.

For his career, Dyson has 225 tackles, 16 interceptions and 59 passes defensed. He has at least three interceptions in every season and posted a career-best six pickoffs in 2004.

Count Alex's Losses
04-21-2005, 03:20 PM
Good. He sucks.

eazyb81
04-21-2005, 03:24 PM
Well it looks like the Jets are still in the market for a CB.....

I don't like our chances of getting Law if we whiff on the Surtain trade.

Mr. Laz
04-21-2005, 03:26 PM
Good. He sucks.
no bartee sucks ...

Brock
04-21-2005, 03:28 PM
Eh, I've gotten comfortable with the idea that we'll be adding a third-tier FA after the draft. Again.

AirForceChief
04-21-2005, 03:33 PM
I don't get why Dyson did attract more attention then he did? He's been a solid CB for several years, would've been an upgrade to our roster. At least competed for #1 CB w/ Warfield...hmmm.

TRR
04-21-2005, 03:46 PM
Doesn't sound like KC was even in the running. Makes me think that KC is confident they can (1) land Surtain, (2) sign Law, or (3) draft Rolle, Rogers, or Jones with the 15th pick.

We won't talk about the 4th option.

shaneo69
04-21-2005, 04:06 PM
Eh, I've gotten comfortable with the idea that we'll be adding a third-tier FA after the draft. Again.

Chad Scott, here we come!!

Joe Seahawk
04-21-2005, 04:08 PM
I like the signing of Dyson and Jerome Pathon.. Both guys should be able to contribute right away, and they were pretty cheap...

It's been a good day so far.

TEX
04-21-2005, 04:37 PM
Doesn't sound like KC was even in the running. Makes me think that KC is confident they can (1) land Surtain, (2) sign Law, or (3) draft Rolle, Rogers, or Jones with the 15th pick.

We won't talk about the 4th option.

We're soooo FKN STUPID if we sign Law. :shake:

beavis
04-21-2005, 04:49 PM
Chad Scott, here we come!!
I was actually wondering if Carlton Gray needed a job.

Wile_E_Coyote
04-21-2005, 04:57 PM
KFFL says the Hawks released Chad Brown

Baby Lee
04-21-2005, 05:02 PM
I like the signing of Dyson and Jerome Pathon.. Both guys should be able to contribute right away, and they were pretty cheap...

It's been a good day so far.
How do you feel about Dr. Z. projecting Dan Cody falling to you?

I am quickly becoming envious of your D. What are the prospects of you developing WRs with the ability to refrain from choking like hell?

Joe Seahawk
04-21-2005, 05:03 PM
Mike Sando; The News Tribune
Last updated: April 21st, 2005 02:11 PM

The Seattle Seahawks signed receiver Jerome Pathon and linebacker Jamie Sharper today after releasing linebacker Chad Brown and reportedly agreeing to terms with cornerback Andre Dyson.
The whirlwind of activity altered the team's makeup two days before the NFL draft.

The Seahawks announced the signings of Pathon and Sharper, the latter of which had been expected since last week. The team also confirmed the long-expected release of Brown, the former Pro Bowl linebacker who had refused their demands for a steep pay cut.

Seattle had yet to confirm an agreement with Dyson, whose agent also did not immediately return a call.

But ESPN.com is reporting that the 25-year-old cornerback accepted a five-year, $17.5 million contract that included a $3 million signing bonus and additional guarantees.

Those numbers are in line with what Seattle was thought to be offering. Dyson, who spent his first four NFL seasons with the Tennessee Titans, visited Seahawks headquarters last month. He also visited the New York Jets this week.

Dyson would presumably compete with newly signed cornerback Kelly Herndon for the starting job vacated by Ken Lucas, who signed with Carolina in free agency last month.

Dyson has started 58 consecutive games.

Pathon, 29, owns 259 receptions for 3,332 yards and 15 touchdowns in seven seasons with Indianapolis and New Orleans.

The Colts made him a second-round draft choice in 1998. He caught 34 passes for 581 yards and a touchdown for New Orleans last season, his third with the Saints.

Pathon joins a group of Seattle receivers that also includes Darrell Jackson, Koren Robinson, Bobby Engram, Jason Willis, Jerheme Urban, Taco Wallace, Joe Jurevicius, D.J. Hackett, Alex Bannister and Marque Davis.

The team usually keeps no more than six receivers on its regular-season roster.

Pathon, 29, has started 62 of 91 career games, including seven last season.

Sharper, 30, joins a depleted cast of linebackers. He is an obvious candidate to start now that Brown and former starter Anthony Simmons have been released.

Sharper played middle linebacker for the Houston Texans most recently. He previously played outside linebacker for the Baltimore Ravens.

Mike Sando: 425-822-9504

mike.sando@thenewstribune.co

Joe Seahawk
04-21-2005, 05:09 PM

I am quickly becoming envious of your D. What are the prospects of you developing WRs with the ability to refrain from choking like hell?

Pathon and Jereviscous are 4 pretty good hands added to our receiving core, plus we have a young guy Jeremy Urban who looked really good in pre-season and in his limited playing time in the reg. season.(eg TD against the Cowboys on MNF )

Apparently Koren has not been following his off season workout plan that he said he would, so he'll probably be cut.. what a waste of talent.. :shake:

As far as Cody, I honestly don't know that much about him, I am kind of hoping we can get pollack. But I'll trust the draft gurus to pick the best guy available..

Baby Lee
04-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Pathon and Jereviscous are 4 pretty good hands added to our receiving core, plus we have a young guy Jeremy Urban who looked really good in pre-season and in his limited playing time in the reg. season.(eg TD against the Cowboys on MNF )

Apparently Koren has not been following his off season workout plan that he said he would, so he'll probably be cut.. what a waste of talent.. :shake:

As far as Cody, I honestly don't know that much about him, I am kind of hoping we can get pollack. But I'll trust the draft gurus to pick the best guy available..
I'm pulling for you guys. As the Chiefs continue xx-treem suckage, I'm finding myself motivated more by Rams hate in my rooting patterns. Here's hoping you guys manage to have an actual race this year, instead of trying to outchoke each other down the stretch. And here's to you guys actually having a bona fide rival down there in the desert.

:thumb:

TRR
04-21-2005, 05:25 PM
KFFL says the Hawks released Chad Brown

Chad Brown is now 35 years old, and has had injury problems to boot.

I think I would rather give the opportunity to Key Fox.

TRR
04-21-2005, 05:28 PM

You guys are in need of a top notch WR to put you over the hump in the NFC (among other things). I view Seattle like I viewed Philly before they broke down and signed Terrell Owens. All the Thrash's, Mitchell's, Pinkston's, Jackson's, Pathon's, and Jurevicious' of the world aren't going to help.

Joe Seahawk
04-21-2005, 05:41 PM
You guys are in need of a top notch WR to put you over the hump in the NFC (among other things). I view Seattle like I viewed Philly before they broke down and signed Terrell Owens. All the Thrash's, Mitchell's, Pinkston's, Jackson's, Pathon's, and Jurevicious' of the world aren't going to help.

Koren has the talent to be that guy, but he went and messed himself up with drugs..Ecstasy to be specific.. It really bothers me to see a guy throw away all that god given ability..

Woodrow Call
04-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Any chance the Seahawks release/trade Bobby Taylor? :grovel:

I don't know how he played last year or how his contract is but I wanted him last offseason.

Joe Seahawk
04-21-2005, 06:03 PM
A pretty good chance actually.. unless his knee gets better..

Woodrow Call
04-21-2005, 06:04 PM
A pretty good chance actually.. unless his knee gets better..

How bad is it? I didn't follow the Seahawks very close last year.

htismaqe
04-21-2005, 07:05 PM

Falling?

Every major draft service I read has had him rated between 22 and 30 for the last FOUR months.