PDA

View Full Version : Merrill: ESPN will include Green in roundtable draft talk

keg in kc
04-22-2005, 02:09 AM
ESPN will include Green in roundtable draft talk (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/11457253.htm)

By ELIZABETH MERRILL

The Kansas City Star
Posted on Fri, Apr. 22, 2005

He's photogenic, he's a quarterback, and he's smooth enough to know his way around a camera cord.

Wouldn't you put Chiefs quarterback Trent Green on TV?

Green says he's pondered a job on the other end of the microphone when football is over, and he will get some practice this weekend. He's one of four NFL players featured in a roundtable discussion group during ESPN's coverage of the draft.

“They contacted us,” said Green, who will hash out draft picks with Washington's Jon Jansen and New England's Rodney Harrison and Mike Vrabel. “I don't have that much of a background in it. My only public speaking was in college as a business major, but I'm comfortable with it.”

Green was a guest analyst on CBS' “The NFL Today” during the Chiefs' bye week in 2002 and 2003. He said Fox contacted him about doing some NFL Europe games this spring, but Green decided it must wait.

“My main focus is on football and trying to win a championship here in Kansas City,” Green said Thursday before he entered the Chiefs' workout facility.

Green, who turns 35 this summer, said he wants to play at least three more years. His body is cooperating, and he's done more offseason conditioning than last year.

Green agreed to the ESPN gig under one condition — he wouldn't do it if it required criticizing his teammates or the Chiefs' draft moves.

“I'm not necessarily a Keyshawn Johnson or a Warren Sapp who might come out and say something critical about my teammates,” he said. “Number one, I don't think anything positive comes from that. And they're looking at it from the same standpoint.

“They don't want us coming on and being the general managers or the head coaches of our teams. They're looking more for our perspective on the league in general and not necessarily for us to break down our own team.”

Green declined to break down the Chiefs' offseason moves but said he thinks a deal with either Patrick Surtain or Ty Law will happen. He then was asked to put on his TV analyst hat and describe what the Chiefs needed most in their first pick Saturday.

The TV guy didn't know what to say. “Definitely not a quarterback,'' Green said.

• BROWN JOINS CHIEFS: Running back Dee Brown has agreed to a one-year contract with the Chiefs, president/general manager Carl Peterson said Thursday. Brown, who played last season with the Cleveland Browns, has played in 21 career games, rushing for 360 yards in 102 carries. Brown, who played collegiately at Syracuse, will be 27 next month.

Saulbadguy
04-22-2005, 11:46 AM
Green agreed to the ESPN gig under one condition — he wouldn't do it if it required criticizing his teammates or the Chiefs' draft moves.

Gotta love this guy.

Chief Henry
04-22-2005, 01:08 PM
Wasn't it Rodney Harrison that gave Trent Green his injury? If so, I woudl think they're would be just atad bit of tention in the studio with both of them togeather... :shrug: