PDA

View Full Version : Mel Kiper

Skip Towne
04-22-2005, 07:33 AM
What do you think of this guy? I've heard a lot of negative about him but ESPN has kept him around for years.

jspchief
04-22-2005, 07:36 AM
Despite what people say, he's good at what he does. His only fault IMO is he tends to fall in love with one or two guys each year that don't always warrant it.

SCTrojan
04-22-2005, 07:39 AM
I'm leery of any "draft expert," but, for some reason, I tend to lend credibility to his views.

Not sure why ESPN has kept him around all these years. As they say in the business, "He's good television."

Skip Towne
04-22-2005, 07:40 AM
Despite what people say, he's good at what he does. His only fault IMO is he tends to fall in love with one or two guys each year that don't always warrant it.
Who is he pimping this year?

jspchief
04-22-2005, 07:43 AM
Who is he pimping this year?

Mike Williams.

He seems to ignore some of the downside of Williams, like his lack of speed, even though NFL teams are keenly aware of it. I'm not saying Williams sucks, but Kiper claims he's the best player in the draft, when he clearly isn't. he's not even the best WR in the draft (Braylon Edwards).

dtebbe
04-22-2005, 08:17 AM
What do you think of this guy? I've heard a lot of negative about him but ESPN has kept him around for years.

I liked Parcells quote a few years back:
Parcells: "Who the hell is Mel Kiper? Did he play football? Has he coached football?" Reporter: "No" Parcells: "Then why the hell should I care what he thinks of my draft picks?".

That pretty much summed it up for me. Kiper was probably a geek who got beat up by football players his entire school life, so he decided to study them. IMHO Kiper is nothing more than a self proclaimed draft expert, who somehow gets ESPN and millions of people to buy into his dream.

DT

HemiEd
04-22-2005, 08:17 AM
His Hair keeps him on TV just like Jimmy Johnson :)

ct
04-22-2005, 08:19 AM
Kiper knows everybody in the draft, that's why he gets paid. I don't agree with many of his evaluations, especially Mike Williams, but he knows every single guy.

Cormac
04-22-2005, 08:20 AM
I think he's pretty good. Nobody is going to get the draft right, and his is only 1 opinion.

He's kind of like Dick Vitale for the draft. It's not that he does his job better than everybody else. It's just that somehow, his schtick is popular. Like a train wreck, you can't look away.

Mr. Kotter
04-22-2005, 08:22 AM

I'm not a big fan of his, but the dude probably "knows" as much as anyone about college players as anyone else in the business....sure he's wrong sometimes, but we need look no further than 1 Arrowhead Dr. to realize the entire draft is really a crap-shoot to a large degree.

You gotta give it up for someone who, without notes, can rattle off the upside and downside of some obscure kicker or center that no one else seems to have heard of, that played at some division III school.

Drafting is anything but a precise science, and Kiper does seem oblivious to faults of the players he really likes....but, hell, he gives us something to talk about. He's the Dickie V. of the draft.

Hell, he's one of us.....how many of us would LOVE to have his gig? I would.

jspchief
04-22-2005, 08:23 AM
Predicting the draft isn't an exact science. Kiper has a pretty proven track record.

To see how he measures up: THR Top 100 (http://www.thehuddlereport.com/top100/index.shtml)

Mr. Kotter
04-22-2005, 08:25 AM
I think he's pretty good. Nobody is going to get the draft right, and his is only 1 opinion.

He's kind of like Dick Vitale for the draft. It's not that he does his job better than everybody else. It's just that somehow, his schtick is popular. Like a train wreck, you can't look away.

Hey, sucka....you stole my Dickey V. line.... :cuss:

Oh, eh....er, you did come up with it first I guess... :p

ct
04-22-2005, 08:27 AM
Predicting the draft isn't an exact science. Kiper has a pretty proven track record.

To see how he measures up: THR Top 100 (http://www.thehuddlereport.com/top100/index.shtml)

Interesting, never seen that before. Thanks! :thumb:

Chiefnj
04-22-2005, 08:29 AM
Mel is a genius. He was one of the first big NFL draft guys to really market the draft and mock drafts. It's a big empire now.

Saulbadguy
04-22-2005, 08:35 AM
According to you, he must be stupid. He has Darren Sproles getting drafted in the 3rd round. :D

JakeT
04-22-2005, 08:36 AM
Someone on the planet with some extra time should go back and look at who Kiper had on board and compare who Kiper would have taken to King Carl's picks -- that would be interesting

Mr. Kotter
04-22-2005, 08:43 AM
Someone on the planet with some extra time should go back and look at who Kiper had on board and compare who Kiper would have taken to King Carl's picks -- that would be interesting

My money is that Kiper kicked CPs ass.....

jspchief
04-22-2005, 08:45 AM

Point me to a source of Kiper's past mocks and I'll try and do it.

whoman69
04-22-2005, 09:07 AM
the thing about Kiper is that he gets mad when teams don't go with the top guy on his board. he also places too much reliance on combine numbers.

JakeT
04-22-2005, 09:34 AM
Point me to a source of Kiper's past mocks and I'll try and do it.

I've googled it and I can't find any history of his boards - it may be possible to get the top 25 from the past few years - you can see it posted on several teams boards but the whole draft would be really interesting -- I'll keep looking any one else know where this info could be found??

whoman69
04-22-2005, 10:37 AM
It should be very easy for Kiper to predict the Chiefs picks for the last few years. Just go for the most likely reach at position of need.