PDA

View Full Version : Clayton: Chiefs will offer Dolphins their 2nd in next hour

siberian khatru
04-22-2005, 07:32 AM
Heard John Clayton on ESPN's Mike and Mike radio show this morning talking about the draft. Said the Chiefs will offer the Dolphins their second-round pick "within the next hour or two" because 1) they know the Buchanon deal upped the ante; they can't get away with offering just a 4; and 2) their draft hinges on acquiring Surtain.

ct
04-22-2005, 07:33 AM
Would have been great to get a better deal, but this is still a solid deal. Hope it's true, but will believe it when I see it.

ExtremeChief
I won't believe it until I hear it from Athan.

siberian khatru
Couple of other tidbits:

* The Eagles were players for Travis Henry, along with Arizona and Tampa Bay.

* Tampa is looking to trade Simeon Rice to San Diego for the Chargers' 1st pick (I believe No. 28).

bloomer88
04-22-2005, 07:34 AM
I heard it too. I sure hope it happens.

the Talking Can
PLEASE LORD MAKE IT SO!

siberian khatru
Oh, to add to what Clayton said about the Chiefs: He said the Chiefs DO have a deal in place with Surtain, and that today IS the last day they can pull off this deal, if it's going to get done.

jspchief
04-22-2005, 07:35 AM
I'm not sure the Buchanon deal changed anything. I think we knew all along that we'd eventually have to give up the 2. It just makes us look silly now for trying to offer a 4.

Hopefully the fish don't get any bright ideas and think he's worth more now...

KChiefs1
04-22-2005, 07:35 AM
That pretty much cinches that DJ won't be a Chief... :shake:

keg in kc
04-22-2005, 07:36 AM
Someone on 810 right now is talking about it as a done deal, too. Clark Judge.

the Talking Can
04-22-2005, 07:37 AM
Surtain is the key to everything.

If we acquire a 3 time probowl CB to replace McCleon, on top of Bell, Knight, and either Davis/Rogers/Pollack then it has been a good offseason.

petegz28
04-22-2005, 07:37 AM
God I hope you are right!

Mr. Kotter
04-22-2005, 07:40 AM
PLEASE, Football Gods.....let Saban snap it up too.

OmahaChief
04-22-2005, 07:40 AM

Good. DJ is overrated anyway. He is not the answer to our needs as he will miss far too many tackles or get blown up by pulling guards. The NFL is not the BIg 12 he is neither big enough nor fast enough to just blow by the Guards in this league. He will have to learn to fight through blocks. He is a lot like Boss Baily in that aspect.

Mr. Kotter
04-22-2005, 07:41 AM

If we acquire a 3 time probowl CB to replace McCleon, on top of Bell, Knight, and either Davis/Rogers/Pollack then it has been a good offseason.

Shit, Can....are you runnin' a fever? Next thing you know, Jim will be here....saying the Chiefs may win 10 games next year. Unbelievable. :p

bricks
04-22-2005, 07:42 AM
Someone on 810 right now is talking about it as a done deal, too. Clark Judge.

He didn't mention in this article that it was done but, take it fwiw:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8409027 (www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8409027)

ct

If this finally does get done for the 2nd rounder at last, I expect KC to trade down unless for some crazy reason DJ slides to 15. We are in the cat-bird seat @15, with both the Aints and Bungles really covet SS/OLB Thomas Davis, and rumor has it so does Minnesota @18.

If somebody wants to get him, they'll have to hop in front of the Saints to do it. Then we can recoup some of the cost of that 2nd, probably only a 3rd, but that's not so bad is it? We move down say 3 spots in the 1st, aquire Surtain, and move down from the 2nd to 3rd. That is a very good deal IMO.

siberian khatru

Agreed. I just wish we had signed Rolle and kept that No. 2. We'd be sitting really pretty now. But, water under the bridge. The above would still be tasty lemonade made from the lemon of the Rolle situation.

C-Mac
04-22-2005, 07:43 AM
Ban him! Lies....all them lies!!

But someday one of these liers will nail one....I hope this is the one.
:p

siberian khatru
04-22-2005, 07:43 AM
Good. DJ is overrated anyway. He is not the answer to our needs as he will miss far too many tackles or get blown up by pulling guards. The NFL is not the BIg 12 he is neither big enough nor fast enough to just blow by the Guards in this league. He will have to learn to fight through blocks. He is a lot like Boss Baily in that aspect.

Somebody the other day on the radio said DJ "had a Tarzan body but played like Jane."

KCFalcon59
04-22-2005, 07:44 AM
If true, we'd better make sure we nail our 1st round selection.

KCTitus
Shit, Can....are you runnin' a fever? Next thing you know, Jim will be here....saying the Chiefs may win 10 games next year. Unbelievable. :p

LOL...

the Talking Can

nah...I've said for awhile that Surtain was the difference between another Carl Peterson joke offseason and a real attempt to win...I will be FREAKIN ECSTATIC IF THIS HAPPENS!! :clap:

now go get Davis or Pollack and we're rolling...

tomahawk kid
Sweet Jesus let this happen.....

chiefmachine
GET IT DONE! GET IT DONE! CARL HAVE MERCY ON THE RED AND GOLD!!

Taco John
04-22-2005, 07:45 AM
Dammit... The local station has Colin Cowherd for morning sports radio... He's worthless when it comes to the NFL.

bricks
04-22-2005, 07:46 AM

he's not really overrated. I agree with everything you said, The kid just has to work on his tackling ability, and be better at fighting off his blockers, he works on those 2 things and he'll be amazing. the other aspects of his game are awesome. I think DJ will be a player.

htismaqe
04-22-2005, 07:46 AM
Please let this be true.

tomahawk kid
04-22-2005, 07:47 AM
If this finally does get done for the 2nd rounder at last, I expect KC to trade down unless for some crazy reason DJ slides to 15. We are in the cat-bird seat @15, with both the Aints and Bungles really covet SS/OLB Thomas Davis, and rumor has it so does Minnesota @18.

If somebody wants to get him, they'll have to hop in front of the Saints to do it. Then we can recoup some of the cost of that 2nd, probably only a 3rd, but that's not so bad is it? We move down say 3 spots in the 1st, aquire Surtain, and move down from the 2nd to 3rd. That is a very good deal IMO.

I couldn't agree more. Look for KC to move down tommorow and pick up another 2 or 3 if they get Surtain.

HemiEd
04-22-2005, 07:47 AM
Go gettem Carl, nobody really ever doubted you! ;)

the Talking Can
04-22-2005, 07:48 AM
Agreed. I just wish we had signed Rolle and kept that No. 2.

so do I, but CP isn't that good...so we have to live with the fact that his incompetance cost us a 2nd....bottom line: we have a #1 CB

nmt1
04-22-2005, 07:48 AM
nah...I've said for awhile that Surtain was the difference between another Carl Peterson joke offseason and a real attempt to win...

You seriously think this way?
What were Bell, Hall, and Knight?

keg in kc
04-22-2005, 07:49 AM
What were Bell, Hall, and Knight?A nice beginning.

This offseason cannot be considered a success without a starting veteran corner.

Just my opinion, of course.

the Talking Can
04-22-2005, 07:49 AM

screw trading down, draft the best player...passaing on Davis/Pollack/Rogers for a 3rd pick would be shortsighted....

ct
04-22-2005, 07:50 AM
Go gettem Carl, nobody really ever doubted you! ;)
ROFL ROFL ROFL

Dude you slay me with that!

tomahawk kid
04-22-2005, 07:51 AM
screw trading down, draft the best player...passaing on Davis/Pollack/Rogers for a 3rd pick would be shortsighted....

I think they want a pick in the Second round for a pass rusher (ie Daryl Blackstock).

TEX
04-22-2005, 07:51 AM
I couldn't agree more. Look for KC to move down tommorow and pick up another 2 or 3 if they get Surtain.

Not me, I want them to take the bset DEFENSIVE player at 15. If Rogers is there, I don't want them to trade down and lose out. They need 2 CB's, not 1. Just my take.

Chiefnj
04-22-2005, 07:52 AM
Al Davis just purchased every seat on every flight from Miami to KC today. Surtain won't be able to get a physical in time.

the Talking Can

a back up DE, a 31 year old safety, and a stud LB....but our #1 priority was a CB...not acquiring Surtain would leave us with Holliday/McCleon/Barber redux.....

tomahawk kid
If Johnson is gone but Carlos Rogers is still there, I want them to take him at 15. I don't want them to trade down and loose out. They need 2 CB's, not 1. Just my take.

Agreed. I'm sure its heavily contingent on who's there @ 15.

Tuckdaddy
Surtain would make this one fabulous off season. Hope would be restored.

nmt1
A nice beginning.

This offseason cannot be considered a success without a starting veteran corner.

Just my opinion, of course.

Are you in agreement that if for some reason we don't get Surtain that we are not truly trying to win games next season?

keg in kc
04-22-2005, 07:53 AM
Are you in agreement that if for some reason we don't get Surtain that we are not truly trying to win games next season?Have I ever said anything that would ever lead anyone to believe I think that?

the Talking Can
04-22-2005, 07:53 AM
610 just said Surtain is coming in for a physical today...Rhonda Moss just said the deal is done and that it was a "2nd round pick and more"

nmt1
04-22-2005, 07:54 AM
a back up DE, a 31 year old safety, and a stud LB....but our #1 priority was a CB...not acquiring Surtain would leave us with Holliday/McCleon/Barber redux.....

So you really think that if we don't get Surtain, the Chiefs aren't trying to win games or improve the defense?

ct
04-22-2005, 07:55 AM

I'm not saying that's what I would do, just what I expect to do. Personally, I would still take Rogers if he's there.

keg in kc
Rhonda Moss on 610 just said that her "sources" say that although Surtain is not in town today, the deal is finished for a second round pick...and more.

KCTitus
LOL...acquiring Surtain magically transforms Bell, Knight and Hall from suck to great.

Only on the planet...

keg in kc
04-22-2005, 07:56 AM
The most important question now...

how long until the server crashes.

KChiefs1
04-22-2005, 07:57 AM
2nd rounder + 5th rounder for Surtain. :hmmm:

nmt1
Have I ever said anything that would ever lead anyone to believe I think that?

I've not seen you say that but my question was addressed to someone else and you answered. Sounds to me like you don't agree with that assertion then.

TEX

Hall's not in the same class as the others. He's a rotational player.

the Talking Can
So you really think that if we don't get Surtain, the Chiefs aren't trying to win games or improve the defense?

yes, but I'm no mood to have have this boring dicussion with you...too much good news...I suggest Warpaint if want to have that discussion...

Edubs
04-22-2005, 07:59 AM

I really would like to get that 15th pick. Fudge moving down. What the F do we do in the 2nd round anyway. I think we have a better chance of getting an impact player at 15.

KCTitus
04-22-2005, 07:59 AM
yes, but I'm no mood to have have this boring dicussion with you...too much good news...I suggest Warpaint if want to have that discussion...

Good news? Did Carl resign?

the Talking Can
04-22-2005, 08:00 AM
LOL...acquiring Surtain magically transforms Bell, Knight and Hall from suck to great.

Only on the planet...

um, what about this difference can you not understand?

the Chiefs D with McCleon starting
the Chiefs D with a 3 time probowl CB starting

funny, only you and nmt.01 seem upset about the good news....

keg in kc
04-22-2005, 08:01 AM
I've not seen you say that but my question was addressed to someone else and you answered. Sounds to me like you don't agree with that assertion then.While I think Lamar is cheap and our front office has been all but incompetent for my seven years in town, I don't believe there's any grand conspiracy in place to make the team just good enough to keep the stands filled. They're not evil, they just haven't been very good at their job.

But why worry about that this morning. The trade is maybe done.

BigRedChief
04-22-2005, 08:01 AM

That was a pipe dream anyway.:(

ct
04-22-2005, 08:02 AM
Rhonda Moss on 610 just said that her "sources" say that although Surtain is not in town today, the deal is finished for a second round pick...and more.

My wife just called and told me the same, Surtain for a 2nd plus. What the hell? did we give up MORE than a 2nd, or did we get something back?

KCTitus
04-22-2005, 08:02 AM
um, what about this difference can you not understand?

the Chiefs D with McCleon starting
the Chiefs D with a 3 time probowl CB starting

funny, only you and nmt.01 seem upset about the good news....

LOL...yeah, so upset I cant stop laughing at your posts. This is great comedy. It's a great signing and Im glad they got it done. Your 180/aboutface after the signing of one player is also great. Should make for great entertainment when you revert after KC's first loss.

DaKCMan AP
04-22-2005, 08:03 AM
KFFL reported its for the 2nd and we swap picks in the 5th...which means we move up :)

patteeu
04-22-2005, 08:05 AM

I tend to agree with you, but if you are willing to take Davis, Pollack or Rogers and all three of those guys are still on the board at 15, it wouldn't hurt to trade down a few spots with someone who covets Davis to pick up an extra pick and still get one of the other guys you like.

nmt1

Thanks for answering my question. I just wanted to make sure you actually believe the ridiculous tripe you spew.
I suggest you should be the one to go to Warpaint or even the Star's board as they seem to places where absurdity and hyperbole rule the day.

HemiEd
Al Davis just purchased every seat on every flight from Miami to KC today. Surtain won't be able to get a physical in time.

ROFL But, But he is such a solid citizen ROFL

ct
KFFL reported its for the 2nd and we swap picks in the 5th...which means we move up :)

I'm all good w/ dat!! Miami saves face, Carl gets a mini throw in.

siberian khatru
04-22-2005, 08:06 AM

Wonder which 5th we swapped. We owned Nos. 147 and 162; Dolphins have the 138 (No. 2 in the 5th).

KCTitus
04-22-2005, 08:06 AM

That's good, a move up in the 5th.

keg in kc
04-22-2005, 08:07 AM
And now Doug Franz is on the air bitching about the trade being done today instead of earlier. I'm sure we'll see some of that on here, too.

patteeu
04-22-2005, 08:07 AM
610 just said Surtain is coming in for a physical today...Rhonda Moss just said the deal is done and that it was a "2nd round pick and more"

There was a report (here on ChiefsPlanet) that the "and more" was a swap of 5th rounders. I don't know which picks those were, but if that's the case, "and more" might actually be "and less."

edit: oops, I guess I was a little slow

the Talking Can
04-22-2005, 08:08 AM
Thanks for answering my question. I just wanted to make sure you actually believe the ridiculous tripe you spew.
I suggest you should be the one to go to Warpaint or even the Star's board as they seem to places where absurdity and hyperbole rule the day.

how about you go give CP a big deep soul kiss...we've got a real CB and you've just got sand in your vagina

do you always start bleeding when you hear good news?

KCTitus
04-22-2005, 08:08 AM
And now Doug Franz is on the air bitching about the trade being done today instead of earlier. I'm sure we'll see some of that on here, too.

Just classic...

the Talking Can
04-22-2005, 08:09 AM
I tend to agree with you, but if you are willing to take Davis, Pollack or Rogers and all three of those guys are still on the board at 15, it wouldn't hurt to trade down a few spots with someone who covets Davis to pick up an extra pick and still get one of the other guys you like.

ideally, yeah...if they were sure, say, Pollack would be there at 19/20, then yeah trade down...

penguinz
04-22-2005, 08:10 AM
Why th F%$ did it not happen sooner! :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

keg in kc
610's latest rumor:

The additional pick is a 6th next year *if* Surtain makes the pro bowl. They attribute the rumor to the Miami media.

Coogs
Give it up for CP...

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Coach
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3560710

Chiefs, Dolphins finally agree to Surtain trade

Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com
Posted: 3 minutes ago

Dolphins cornerback Patrick Surtain finally has a new zip code

FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer has learned that the Chiefs and Dolphins have agreed to a trade for the Pro Bowl cornerback that includes the Chiefs sending Miami their second-round pick as well as the two teams swapping fifth-round selections. In addition, the Chiefs has agreed to terms on a new seven-year deal for Surtain.

Such a deal has been long-awaited but the Chiefs had previously been unwilling to budge from the Dolphins' asking price of a second-round pick. However, with the three top cornerbacks in the draft slated to be long gone by their selection in the first round Kansas City stepped up to the plate.

The two teams have agreed to the deal but it is contingent upon Surtain passing a physical. In addition, Miami and the Chiefs still need to finalize the paperwork but the deal has been agreed upon from all sides.

Miami has been seeking a second-rounder since the process began and the Chiefs have entertained several cornerback options for quite some time. Despite adding Surtain to the defense, Kansas City is not done adding to its defense and should seek even more help in the draft.

KCTitus
04-22-2005, 08:11 AM
Why th F%$ did it not happen sooner! :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Cmon, put some heart into it...

tomahawk kid
04-22-2005, 08:14 AM

Franz is a swashbuckling assmonkey of epic proportions.

The guy doesn't know his head from his a$$ when it comes to the Chiefs, or just about anything else. He makes his living ranting about insignificant minutia that makes no real difference in the grand scheme of things.

He should be drug out of the studios and beaten with reeds.

KCTitus
04-22-2005, 08:15 AM
...ranting about insignificant minutia that makes no real difference in the grand scheme of things.

I know this website.... ;)

keg in kc
04-22-2005, 08:16 AM
The funniest thing about all of this:

Adam Teicher was on 610 an hour ago. He had no f*cking idea this trade was going to happen. He said there'd been no talks between Miami and KC last evening and that it didn't look like anything was going to happen today, although he did cover himself a little by saying that could change quickly.

HemiEd
04-22-2005, 08:16 AM
Give it up for CP...

tomahawk kid
04-22-2005, 08:17 AM
I know this website.... ;)

Sometimes you say something, without really meaning to "say something".....

ROFL

C-Mac
Does anyone have a internet link to listen to 610?

Rausch

FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer has learned that the Chiefs and Dolphins have agreed to a trade for the Pro Bowl cornerback that includes the Chiefs sending Miami their second-round pick as well as the two teams swapping fifth-round selections. In addition, the Chiefs has agreed to terms on a new seven-year deal for Surtain.

YES! :holdman:

tomahawk kid

Adam Teicher was on 610 an hour ago. He had no f*cking idea this trade was going to happen. He said there'd been no talks between Miami and KC last evening and that it didn't look like anything was going to happen today, although he did cover himself a little by saying that could change quickly.

Please see my previous post regarding Doug "Spaz" Franz....

morphius
04-22-2005, 08:18 AM

Such a deal has been long-awaited but the Chiefs had previously been unwilling to budge from the Dolphins' asking price of a second-round pick. However, with the three top cornerbacks in the draft slated to be long gone by their selection in the first round Kansas City stepped up to the plate.

The two teams have agreed to the deal but it is contingent upon Surtain passing a physical. In addition, Miami and the Chiefs still need to finalize the paperwork but the deal has been agreed upon from all sides.

Miami has been seeking a second-rounder since the process began and the Chiefs have entertained several cornerback options for quite some time. Despite adding Surtain to the defense, Kansas City is not done adding to its defense and should seek even more help in the draft.
Excellent...

I just hope its true.

chiefmachine
04-22-2005, 08:19 AM
There is a God! And the home of the CHIEFS!!!!!

the Talking Can
04-22-2005, 08:19 AM

imagine how Nick Athan feels..he runs a premium site and he got scooped by Rhonda Moss....people at warpaint are screaming for confirmation and Athan is AWOL....

Rausch
04-22-2005, 08:21 AM
Well, after this trade I can see Peterson trading down, getting his 2nd back, and taking the best player who falls to us...

nmt1
04-22-2005, 08:21 AM
how about you go give CP a big deep soul kiss...we've got a real CB and you've just got sand in your vagina

do you always start bleeding when you hear good news?

I accomplished my goal. Thanks for playing.

siberian khatru
04-22-2005, 08:22 AM

:shake:

No wonder he's losing his job to a girl.

the Talking Can
04-22-2005, 08:23 AM
I accomplished my goal. Thanks for playing.

your goal was to act like a douche bag while everyone else is celebrating our new CB?

I was wrong about warpaint, you belong at NEPA....

ct
04-22-2005, 08:23 AM
I guess on 610 they mentioned there is a conditional 6th rounder to Miami if Surtain makes the Pro Bowl? Anyone listening to that with any info?

keg in kc
04-22-2005, 08:26 AM
imagine how Nick Athan feels..he runs a premium site and he got scooped by Rhonda Moss....people at warpaint are screaming for confirmation and Athan is AWOL....He's probably have breakfast with his "source". Lenny the limo driver.

Bowser
04-22-2005, 08:26 AM

How can you ask that, knowing we had the 32nd ranked pass defense last year? Yeah, we got Bell, Hall, and Knight, but to not add a corner of AT LEAST Surtain's ability, you could make an arguement that the Chiefs did not try to improve the defense.

Getting those three guys and not adding a corner would have been akin to us signing a wide receiver to improve our running game because he is a good downfield blocker.

Bowser
04-22-2005, 08:28 AM
:shake:

No wonder he's losing his job to a girl.

Really? Elaborate?

the Talking Can
04-22-2005, 08:29 AM
How can you ask that, knowing we had the 32nd ranked pass defense last year? Yeah, we got Bell, Hall, and Knight, but ti not add a corner of AT LEAST Surtain's ability, you could make an arguement that the Chiefs did not try to improve the defense.

Getting those three guys and not adding a corner would have been akin to us signing a wide receiver to improve our running game because he is a good downfield blocker.

don't worry, it's just that time of the month for nmt1...she's pissed that Titus already does her "schtick"...

siberian khatru
04-22-2005, 08:30 AM
Really? Elaborate?

Nah, it was just a little joke. Some woman has been writing Chief stories this week, I assume she's Ivan Carter's replacement on the beat. I think she's working WITH Teicher as part of the beat team, not replaceing him.

nmt1
04-22-2005, 08:31 AM
your goal was to act like a douche bag while everyone else is celebrating our new CB?

I was wrong about warpaint, you belong at NEPA....

My goal was to show that you don't consider anything the Chiefs do right unless you want them to do it. Congratulations, you have achieved a perfect state of Geniousness.

On to football stuff.
I'll admit that I'd rather have the 2nd rounder than Surtain but if this is true and we do get Surtain, I'm happy with it. The Chiefs determined they needed the guy and got him. Good for them.

Mark M
04-22-2005, 08:34 AM
On to football stuff.
I'll admit that I'd rather have the 2nd rounder than Surtain but if this is true and we do get Surtain, I'm happy with it. The Chiefs determined they needed the guy and got him. Good for them.

Out of curiosity, why would you rather KC keep the 2nd and get an unknown, rather than use it to get a proven commodity? Seriously ...

Wouldn't KC's history of 2nd round pick failures lead one to believe that trading it isn't that big of a loss? Add in the potential to trade down a few spots and pick up a new 2nd, and it seems to make sense to me.

Of course, there's a reason I'm not an NFL GM ...

MM
~~:hmmm:

nmt1
04-22-2005, 08:35 AM
How can you ask that, knowing we had the 32nd ranked pass defense last year? Yeah, we got Bell, Hall, and Knight, but to not add a corner of AT LEAST Surtain's ability, you could make an arguement that the Chiefs did not try to improve the defense.

You can't, with a straight face, make an arguement that the Chiefs didn't try to improve their defense regardless of whether or not they land Surtain or any other CB for that matter. It's obsurd.
They not only had the worst pass defense but one of the worst rushing defenses as well as very little pass rush outside of Jarod Allen. Seems to me like they're trying to shore up the entire defense, which is something they should do.

KCTitus
04-22-2005, 08:37 AM
Out of curiosity, why would you rather KC keep the 2nd and get an unknown, rather than use it to get a proven commodity? Seriously ...

Wouldn't KC's history of 2nd round pick failures lead one to believe that trading it isn't that big of a loss? Add in the potential to trade down a few spots and pick up a new 2nd, and it seems to make sense to me.

I agree...I'd rather have Surtain than Eddie Freeman, Mike Cloud, et al...

BigRedChief
04-22-2005, 08:38 AM
I'll admit that I'd rather have the 2nd rounder than Surtain but if this is true and we do get Surtain, I'm happy with it. .

With King Carls drafting history in the second round (16 years, 14 wiffs and 2 hits) why would you place that pick in King Carls hands instead of taking a pro bowl corner?

patteeu
04-22-2005, 08:39 AM
610 is reporting that the swap of 5th rounders is a move down for the Chiefs from something like 137 to 162. (I may be off by a few spots on each of those numbers).

keg in kc
04-22-2005, 08:40 AM
I wish we still had the second, but if my choices are one or the other, I'm taking Surtain over a draft pick. Proven value over potential is more important in the situation we're in this year.

keg in kc
04-22-2005, 08:42 AM
610 is reporting that the swap of 5th rounders is a move down for the Chiefs from something like 137 to 162. (I may be off by a few spots on each of those numbers).They got the picks reversed. Miami has 138, we have 147 and 162.

siberian khatru
04-22-2005, 08:42 AM
610 is reporting that the swap of 5th rounders is a move down for the Chiefs from something like 137 to 162. (I may be off by a few spots on each of those numbers).

According to NFL.com, the Dolphins own only the No. 2 pick in the 5th round (138). If we swapped picks, we can only go UP, either from 147 to 138 or 162 to 138.

Chief Henry
04-22-2005, 08:43 AM
I'm really PLEASED this is getting done. HOWEVER,
CP still waisted last years team by not addressing
the players albeit he did bring in gunther.

I hope these defensive additions are not TOO late...
We'll find out with in the next TEN months.

patteeu
04-22-2005, 08:44 AM

If Miami had demanded the entire Chiefs draft for Surtain and Carl balked would that have meant he didn't try? Of course not. You could say he failed to improve the defense adequately, but IMO it wouldn't have been fair to say he didn't try (unless you have some inside info that his "efforts" were all for show and that he never had any intention of signing a CB).

In general, I think nmt1 is reacting to the overwhelming (and irrational in my view) negativity that people have toward Carl Peterson. The average ChiefsPlanet member whiffed as bad on their assessment of Carl Peterson's offseason efforts this year as Carl Peterson has ever whiffed on a draft.

the Talking Can
I wish we still had the second, but if my choices are one or the other, I'm taking Surtain over a draft pick. Proven value over potential is more important in the situation we're in this year.

absolutely, and with the threat of Warfield missing 4 games Surtain's value to us is much greater than to other teams....this is the best 2nd round pick in many, many years for KC

we have a top 5-6 CB in our backfield now instead of McCleon...!!!!!

bricks
I know this may be a bit off topic, not knocking anybody here, but, all I gotta say is WOW have the attitudes, minds changed on the planet. Yesterday everybody was raved, pissed...Now, we just did a complete 360. I'll admit I was one of those people.

Wilson8
04-22-2005, 08:45 AM
Miami has the 138th in the 5th. KC has the 147th (Detroit's) and 162 (Green Bay's). If it is in the 5th, we can only move up.

patteeu
They got the picks reversed. Miami has 138, we have 147 and 162.

Excellent. Sorry about passing along the 610 disinformation.

nmt1

Of course, there's a reason I'm not an NFL GM ...

MM
~~:hmmm:

Not exactly sure why but I've not been real excited about Surtain from the beginning. I'm starting to warm up to the idea though. I've seen lots of guys change teams and not live up to their expectations and not even come close to their past performance. In this particular case, assuming this is all true, we're getting a guy who's played well for his former team but we're also getting a huge contract. The 2nd rounder wouldn't cost as much but he's not guaranteed to contribute any time soon if at all. I don't see Surtain as the proven commodity many others do. The Chiefs apparently do as well. Oh well, life goes on.
The Chiefs have a poor history in the 2nd round for sure but I don't believe in jinxes so I think they could very well pick someone who will eventually be a good player with that pick.
I'm no GM either so my opinion is pretty much worthless.

Rausch
I wonder how much we shelled out for this 7 year deal...

siberian khatru
04-22-2005, 08:46 AM
this is the best 2nd round pick in many, many years for KC

Better than the one for Vermeil? ;)

keg in kc
04-22-2005, 08:47 AM
I wonder how much we shelled out for this 7 year deal...I haven't heard any specifics other than 'double digit signing bonus'.

SCTrojan

I would have preferred Rolle and the 2nd over Surtain and no 2nd.

But, given the chain of events that led to today, I'd rather have Surtain than the 2nd.

the Talking Can
the overwhelming (and irrational in my view) negativity that people have toward Carl Peterson.

when you haven't won a playoff game in over a decade there is no such thing as irrational negativity towards the GM..CP is a failure, that's not debatable....we just have to hope, against all reason, that year 16 is the lucky year....

keg in kc
04-22-2005, 08:48 AM
I would have preferred Rolle and the 2nd over Surtain and no 2nd.I don't think there's any possible way, if the trade didn't happen, that we could get Rolle and still have the 2nd.

Rausch
04-22-2005, 08:48 AM
absolutely, and with the threat of Warfield missing 4 games Surtain's value to us is much greater than to other teams....this is the best 2nd round pick in many, many years for KC

we have a top 5-6 CB in our backfield now instead of McCleon...!!!!!

And no Ty Law news. None.

His price is going to drop and he's going to end up taking a deal for a lot less than he was planning on.

It'd be sweet to give him a lowball offer after drafting another CB (Round 2,3,4) and seeing if it worked...

the Talking Can
04-22-2005, 08:49 AM
Better than the one for Vermeil? ;)

ROFL

tough call....

patteeu
04-22-2005, 08:50 AM
Excellent. Sorry about passing along the 610 disinformation.

LOL, they did it again. Franz just said the Chiefs moved back "about 30 spots" in the 5th. Someone should call them and set them straight.

Mark M
04-22-2005, 08:51 AM
Not exactly sure why but I've not been real excited about Surtain from the beginning. I'm starting to warm up to the idea though. I've seen lots of guys change teams and not live up to their expectations and not even come close to their past performance. In this particular case, assuming this is all true, we're getting a guy who's played well for his former team but we're also getting a huge contract. The 2nd rounder wouldn't cost as much but he's not guaranteed to contribute any time soon if at all. I don't see Surtain as the proven commodity many others do. The Chiefs apparently do as well. Oh well, life goes on.
That is definitely something to be wary of -- there are countless examples of FAs being great for one team, getting a big contract with another, then laying a giant turd.

But considering KC's secondary, I can't for the life of me see how Surtain can be worse than what they've got. You could cut off one leg and half his right arm and he'd be better than Bartee or McCleon. :) Add in Warfield's impending suspension, and it makes sense.

The Chiefs have a poor history in the 2nd round for sure but I don't believe in jinxes so I think they could very well pick someone who will eventually be a good player with that pick.
You obviously have a lot more faith in Carl and Co. then I do. :) I may not be the most vocal critic of the Chiefs front office on this board, but I really don't expect them to ever draft well. When they do, it's a bonus.

MM
~~:arrow:

the Talking Can
04-22-2005, 08:52 AM
LOL, they did it again. Franz just said the Chiefs moved back "about 30 spots" in the 5th. Someone should call them and set them straight.

yeah, he also said we have 2 third rounders....

patteeu
04-22-2005, 08:54 AM
when you haven't won a playoff game in over a decade there is no such thing as irrational negativity towards the GM..CP is a failure, that's not debatable....we just have to hope, against all reason, that year 16 is the lucky year....

The Chiefs have had several opportunities to win playoff games during Carl Peterson's tenure. I can think of a bunch of people to blame for their failures in that regard before I get to the GM.

keg in kc
I instant messaged 610. Don't know if they'll catch it or not.

Frosty
Yesterday everybody was raved, pissed...Now, we just did a complete 360. I'll admit I was one of those people.

So, does this mean you're still pissed and raving? :hmmm:

:)

SCTrojan
04-22-2005, 08:55 AM
I don't think there's any possible way, if the trade didn't happen, that we could get Rolle and still have the 2nd.

Oops, I can see how that would confuse people. My bad.

I meant I preferred that we would have signed Samari Rolle and keep the 2nd over having Surtain without the 2nd.

keg in kc
04-22-2005, 08:56 AM
The Chiefs have had several opportunities to win playoff games during Carl Peterson's tenure. I can think of a bunch of people to blame for their failures in that regard before I get to the GM.I don't really get that logic. He's responsible for hiring the coaches and signing the players, so he's ultimately responsible for the outcome. Plus, we've only had one opportunity to win a playoff game since 1997, which is inexcusable in and of itself.

the Talking Can
04-22-2005, 08:58 AM
The Chiefs have had several opportunities to win playoff games during Carl Peterson's tenure. I can think of a bunch of people to blame for their failures in that regard before I get to the GM.

the one constant over the decade is CP...everyone else gets fired, he gets rehired....I'm not really interested in the discussion

CP is a failure...unless losing is your definiton of success....

Rausch
04-22-2005, 08:58 AM

Makes me laugh my ass off thinking about all the pissy-baby season ticket holders who wrote nasty emails and decided not to renew their seats... ROFL

Chiefnj
04-22-2005, 08:59 AM
It's a fair deal for both sides. Carl did what was necessary to pull his colon out of the fire after screwing up the Rolle signing.

Gaz
...Plus, we've only had one opportunity to win a playoff game since 1997, which is inexcusable in and of itself.

Yah, that stinkin’ Priest Holmes and his fumble.

We should fire that guy.

xoxo~
Gaz
Foaming at the mouth.

keg in kc
I meant I preferred that we would have signed Samari Rolle and keep the 2nd over having Surtain without the 2nd.I don't think there are many of us who would argue that. I didn't want this trade a month ago, but once the market cleared...

siberian khatru
I can't for the life of me see how Surtain can be worse than what they've got.

Hey, we're talking the Chiefs here ... :p

the Talking Can
04-22-2005, 09:00 AM
It's a fair deal for both sides. Carl did what was necessary to pull his colon out of the fire after screwing up the Rolle signing.

bingo

keg in kc
04-22-2005, 09:00 AM
Yah, that stinkin’ Priest Holmes and his fumble.

We should fire that guy.

xoxo~
Gaz
Foaming at the mouth.
Good lord, don't get me started on that game.

Rausch
04-22-2005, 09:01 AM
the one constant over the decade is CP...everyone else gets fired, he gets rehired....I'm not really interested in the discussion

CP is a failure...unless losing is your definiton of success....

I wouldn't say losing, I'd say mediocre.

He's like Marty - good, but never good enough to get you to the big game...

The only exception to the rule would be 93. If Montana doesn't get knocked retarded I still think we find a way to win that one, just like we did against Pitt and the Oilers...

nmt1
04-22-2005, 09:02 AM
That is definitely something to be wary of -- there are countless examples of FAs being great for one team, getting a big contract with another, then laying a giant turd.

But considering KC's secondary, I can't for the life of me see how Surtain can be worse than what they've got. You could cut off one leg and half his right arm and he'd be better than Bartee or McCleon. :) Add in Warfield's impending suspension, and it makes sense.

You obviously have a lot more faith in Carl and Co. then I do. :) I may not be the most vocal critic of the Chiefs front office on this board, but I really don't expect them to ever draft well. When they do, it's a bonus.

MM
~~:arrow:

You make a good point about him being better than our other corners. It looks that way on paper but whether or not he keeps his probowl form remains to be seen. I've seen it over and over...a guy gets a fat contract and sits on it. I don't want that to happen in this situation, assuming this comes to fruition. God forbid he get hurt. There are no guarantees in my mind.

The Chiefs have made many bad picks in the 2nd round but, in my mind, it doesn't make sense in my mind to automatically write off that pick. There's merit in having low or no expectations. It helps one's sanity.

Chiefnj
04-22-2005, 09:03 AM
My source tells me that in addition to giving up the 2nd round pick and swapping 5th round picks, Carl Peterson must wear a t-shirt to the Miami game this year that says "Saban's Bitch" on the front and "I'm not going to give up a 2nd" on the back.

SCTrojan
04-22-2005, 09:03 AM
I don't think there are many of us who would argue that. I didn't want this trade a month ago, but once the market cleared...

Yep. I'd be interested to compare Samari Rolle's contract with Surtain's.

AirForceChief
04-22-2005, 09:04 AM
Just more confirmation from CBS Sportsline:

Chiefs on verge of landing Miami cornerback Surtain
April 22, 2005
By Clark Judge
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer
Tell Clark your opinion!

The Kansas City Chiefs were supposed to look to the draft for help at cornerback -- and they still might. They just don't have to do it in the first round.

Advertisement

That's because the club is on the verge of making a trade with Miami that would send cornerback Patrick Surtain to the Chiefs for a second-round pick, the 46th overall, in Saturday's draft, NFL sources said early Friday.

The deal, which could be announced Friday, is contingent upon Surtain passing a team physical.

According to sources, this week the Chiefs reached a contractual settlement with Surtain on an extension -- clearing the way for the completion of negotiations with Miami. Surtain was entering the last year of his contract with the Dolphins and was given permission to seek a trade, with the Chiefs the most interested club.

Terms of the trade were not complete, but league sources indicated the Chiefs surrendered the second-round choice they insisted they would not trade during talks the past month. Instead, they tried offering a fourth-rounder and combination of picks, but Miami was not interested.

Until now.

Making the deal not only clears over $6 million in cap space for the Dolphins, but it puts them into the second round of Saturday's NFL Draft. The Dolphins sacrificed their second-round choice to Philadelphia a year ago when they traded for quarterback A.J. Feeley.

The Chiefs completed trade talks two days after it appeared they were slowing down. It is unclear what produced movement, but one NFL source said the Raiders' trade of cornerback Phillip Buchanon to Houston had an impact. The Texans surrendered second and third-round draft choices for the disgruntled Buchanon, who is younger but not as highly regarded as Surtain.

Surtain fills an immediate need in Kansas City, where the Chiefs were last in pass defense and 31st overall. Surtain, 28, was named to the Pro Bowl twice and missed only four games in a seven-year career.

He also joins former Miami teammate Sammy Knight in Kansas City. Knight, a safety, was acquired as a free-agent.

Surtain becomes the fourth significant addition to a defense that crippled Kansas City last year. The club also added linebacker Kendrell Bell and defensive end Carlos Hall.

His addition does not mean the Chiefs will not draft defense with the 15th choice Saturday. They almost surely will. But they don't necessarily have to draft a cornerback, with Georgia safety Thomas Davis -- who projects as an outside linebacker -- or a pass rusher now a possibility.

bricks
04-22-2005, 09:04 AM

well, too be honest. Yesterday, I was so negative. I thought Carl screwed up. I felt like giving him a kick in the balls. Today, after hearing we got Surtain, still hoping it's true, I feel like giving Peterson a hug. :toast:

the Talking Can
04-22-2005, 09:05 AM
I wouldn't say losing, I'd say mediocre.

He's like Marty - good, but never good enough to get you to the big game...

The only exception to the rule would be 93. If Montana doesn't get knocked retarded I still think we find a way to win that one, just like we did against Pitt and the Oilers...

not winning a playoff game in 12 years is the only stat that matters...he's not even mediocre

siberian khatru
04-22-2005, 09:07 AM
The deal, which could be announced Friday, is contingent upon Surtain passing a team physical.

This place is going to be fun to watch if at 7 p.m. tonight we find out the deal is voided because Surtain failed his physical.

Frosty
04-22-2005, 09:10 AM
well, too be honest. Yesterday, I was so negative. I thought Carl screwed up. I felt like giving him a kick in the balls. Today, after hearing we got Surtain, still hoping it's true, I feel like giving Peterson a hug. :toast:

Sorry, I was being a smartass and giving you a bad time about your math. Personally, I think most people on here have done a complete 1260.

Gaz
04-22-2005, 09:13 AM
This place is going to be fun to watch if at 7 p.m. tonight we find out the deal is voided because Surtain failed his physical.

I was just wondering what would happen if Miami refused the offer.

xoxo~
Gaz
Battening down his hatches.

patteeu
04-22-2005, 09:24 AM
My source tells me that in addition to giving up the 2nd round pick and swapping 5th round picks, Carl Peterson must wear a t-shirt to the Miami game this year that says "Saban's Bitch" on the front and "I'm not going to give up a 2nd" on the back.

Just FYI, if the reports are right (other than 610 of course), the Chiefs gave up less than a 2nd round pick for Surtain since they get to move up in the 5th. Carl's negotiating position and his willingness to wait it out leaves the Chiefs in a better position than those who wanted to just give up the 2nd round pick weeks ago would have (and let's not forget those who wanted to offer even more than Miami was asking for... Mr. Kotter... LOL).

patteeu
04-22-2005, 09:25 AM
Franz (of 610 sports) finally got the 5th round swap right.

AirForceChief
04-22-2005, 09:26 AM
ESPN confirming 5th round swap as well:

After two months of staring longingly at Patrick Surtain, the Chiefs finally blinked.

Surtain

Kansas City acquired Surtain, a three-time Pro Bowl cornerback, in a trade Friday after acquiescing to the Dolphins' demands for a second-round draft choice.

Surtain must pass a physical exam and the pertinent paperwork must be filed with the NFL for the deal to be official. All parameters of the trade, including a new contract for Surtain, have been agreed upon in principle.

The teams have been talking on and off for several weeks, ever since the Dolphins granted Surtain and his representatives permission to seek trade scenarios. The one constant in the negotiations: Miami was steadfast in maintaining that it would not trade Surtain for less than a second-round pick. The Chiefs had been offering a fourth-rounder, but finally reconciled that it would take a second-round choice to complete a deal.

The teams also swap fifth-round choices in this weekend's draft.

In securing Surtain, one of the NFL's premier cover cornerbacks, the Chiefs fill one of their most pressing needs. Team president and general manager Carl Peterson has done a nice job this offseason addressing a defense that statistically ranked next-to-last in the league in 2004. Acquiring Surtain, however, clearly is the most significant defensive upgrade the Chiefs have made since the conclusion of last season.

Only two days ago, Peterson acknowledged that time was running out for the possibility of the trade. Dolphins coach Nick Saban countered by noting that Miami would simply retain Surtain for this season rather than deal him for less-than-market value. The trade earlier this week of Raiders cornerback Phillip Buchanon, in which Houston sent second- and third-round picks to Oakland, helped validate Saban's asking price.

Buchanon is younger than Surtain but hardly as accomplished.

Surtain, 28, was scheduled to earn a base salary of $5.85 million with the Dolphins for the coming season and carried a hefty salary cap charge of about $8.3 million. The details of the new contract he will sign were not immediately available; it had been reported two weeks ago, although refuted in some quarters, that Surtain and the Chiefs had already agreed on parameters of a contract.

The seventh-year veteran, a second-round pick of the Dolphins in 1998, has appeared in 108 games and started 82. For years, the former Southern Mississippi player teamed with Sam Madison to give Miami one of the top cornerback tandems in the league.

For his career, Surtain has 29 interceptions and 86 passes defensed, along with 340 tackles, 6˝ sacks, four forced fumbles and four recoveries. He has recorded at least two interceptions every season of his career and had five or more pickoffs three times. Last season Surtain played in 15 games and had four interceptions and 11 passes defensed.

siberian khatru
04-22-2005, 09:28 AM
WHICH 5th rounders? We own 2.

whoman69
04-22-2005, 09:30 AM
No it won't. We had almost 100 lurkers on here now just with the signing coming up.

mlyonsd
04-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Now if we can only pressure the opposing QB in 7-9 seconds we may have a decent D.

Mark M
04-22-2005, 09:48 AM

Holy crap ... I can just imagine.

MM
~~:eek: ROFL

KCFalcon59
04-22-2005, 09:48 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2043410

keg in kc
04-22-2005, 09:50 AM
Holy shit. That'd be the largest deal in team history, would it not, both in terms of total and guaranteed?

the Talking Can
04-22-2005, 09:52 AM
WHICH 5th rounders? We own 2.

our #168 which we got from Green Bay for their #132..i think...I heard it was the 2nd pick in the 5th round, which is actually a nice little trade up

the Talking Can
04-22-2005, 09:54 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2043410

wow...$14 mill in garuntees...I never thought they'd pay that much...I'd love to see how much is on the back end

siberian khatru
04-22-2005, 09:57 AM
our #168 which we got from Green Bay for their #132..i think...I heard it was the 2nd pick in the 5th round, which is actually a nice little trade up

Absolutely. Nice face-saving move by Carl.

KCFalcon59
04-22-2005, 10:02 AM
wow...$14 mill in garuntees...I never thought they'd pay that much...I'd love to see how much is on the back end

Hopefully a lot. That way we have him 4 or more years.

Uncle_Ted
04-22-2005, 10:05 AM
DAMMIT CARL :cuss: :banghead:

I mean... WAIT...WHAT? ...

Good job Carl :clap: