PDA

View Full Version : Support the site.

Pages : [1] 2

Phobia
04-24-2005, 01:13 AM
It's been over 2 years since ChiefsPlanet has asked for any donations to assist in the operation costs of running a site this size.

As many of you know, I acquired half ownership in ChiefsPlanet recently. Kyle and I share expenses and income now. Unfortunately, the expenses are much larger than the income. We have developed a plan to make this site self sufficient within 6 months. That plan is in progress currently. We promised a trimmed database and improved performance for draft weekend. We delivered. We're going to continue to deliver on these promises.

We're going to purchase the upgrade to vBulletin and cease with this beta version. We're going to upgrade the front page. We're going to offer value added incentives to subscribe to this site while continuing to keep it free for those who are unable or unwilling to pay. We're going to become more active in ChiefsPlanet sponsored activities in the area including tailgating. We're going to take on advertisers/sponsors in a way that will not intrude upon your browsing pleasure. We're going to collaborate with other Chiefs related sites for even more entertainment value. We're going to open a merchandise store - a real store, not a cafepress hack. We're going to continue listening to you in order to keep this your site as much as it is Kyle's or mine.

This site provides a lot of entertainment value, IMO. You pay $50 a month to brick and mortar establishments in which you spend less time relaxing and enjoying yourself. You easily drop $100 on a couple hours at dinner and beverages. I'm not going to tell you what to give, but I am going to ask you to really think about what this site is worth to you. I'm going to ask for your maximum contribution because this is the last time I'll ask. After this, ChiefsPlanet is on her own (meaning that the site will be financially viable without donations). If you have to spread out your contribution over the next several months, that's perfectly fine. We're going to leave the gift doors open until Red Friday.

If you use paypal, please click here. (https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=pay-pal%40ChiefsPlanet%2ecom&item_name=Phil%20Kloster&item_number=ChiefsPlanet%20gift&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD) or click the button graphic below (same destination).
<form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
<input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_xclick">
<input type="hidden" name="business" value="pay-pal@ChiefsPlanet.com">
<input type="hidden" name="item_name" value="Phil Kloster">
<input type="hidden" name="item_number" value="ChiefsPlanet gift">
<input type="hidden" name="no_note" value="1">
<input type="hidden" name="currency_code" value="USD">
<input type="hidden" name="tax" value="0">
<input type="image" src="https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/btn/x-click-butcc-donate.gif" border="0" name="submit" alt="Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!">
</form>
If you're more comfortable sending a check:
Phil Kloster
7410 Larson Ave
KC, MO 64133

It has been a pleasure hanging out with you guys out here for the past 5 years. We look forward to knocking back some beverages with each of you at a future event.

Regards,

Kyle and Phil

p.s. When I organized a our donations drives several years ago, it was always the same, dependable people opening their wallets. We appreciate those people very much, but if more of you would contribute it would lessen the load on those guys. I hate to see a minority carrying the weight of a website that supposedly has 5,000 subscribers (and quadruple that in lurkers). FWIW, Lurkers and guests are eligible to support the site as well. Bandwidth is bandwidth. Students, we accept Pell grants, foodstamps, and keggar wrist bands.

the Talking Can
04-24-2005, 01:22 AM
a clarification:

"I'm going to ask for your maximum contribution because this is the last time I'll ask. After this, ChiefsPlanet is on her own."

Do you mean:

that after this round of donations the Planet will attempt to become self-sufficient with revenues

or

If you don't give enough to run things then the gig is up

or something else...it's late, my brain ain't working

Phobia
04-24-2005, 01:24 AM
a clarification:

that after this round of donations the Planet will attempt to become self-sufficient with revenues

Sorry I wasn't more clear.

the Talking Can
04-24-2005, 01:26 AM
cool...I think it all sounds great

go bowe
04-24-2005, 01:30 AM
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Frazod
04-24-2005, 01:31 AM
Check will be forthcoming, as always. Thanks for the time and effort you both put into this place. :wayne:

Michael Michigan
04-24-2005, 01:42 AM
The check's in the mail.

Wait, that never sounds good.

I'll just use PayPal.

|Zach|
04-24-2005, 01:44 AM
I will def take some time to donate when I am in a position to do so. For as much as I get out of this place it wouldn't kill me to give back.

These future plans sound very exciting.

Sure-Oz
04-24-2005, 01:49 AM
I will do my part with what I got, im a broke ass but I love CP, so i'll have to get a few bucks towards it when i get payed and sent via paypal.

Pants
04-24-2005, 01:56 AM
I'll definatelly donate once I get a job. It won't be much, but I'm a broke ass student.

Phobia
04-24-2005, 02:01 AM
I'll definatelly donate once I get a job. It won't be much, but I'm a broke ass student.

It's okay, your school will pass a percentage of your tuition to us based upon your post count. Looks like we're due about 80% this year. Please keep posting.

Pants
04-24-2005, 02:03 AM
It's okay, your school will pass a percentage of your tuition to us based upon your post count. Looks like we're due about 80% this year. Please keep posting.

It's not about learning, it's about getting the little piece of paper that gives you a job. **** learning. Cheap whiskey sucks.

chappy
04-24-2005, 02:43 AM
I know i am kinda new but i can throw some money down i will send a money order or two or three when i get a chance. i love this site and the day i found it.

WebGem
04-24-2005, 03:08 AM
I will donate once PayPal works.

We are sorry that we are experiencing temporary difficulties. Please try again later.

Message 5302

Over-Head
04-24-2005, 07:03 AM
Soon as I fence the cig's and beer from last nights break in, I'll launder the cash through you by way of a donation. :)

mikey23545
04-24-2005, 07:25 AM
Hey, I donated before, I'll donate again!

Right now, I'm afraid money is a little tight (paying my own way through school and all that) so I will probably have to send a little at a time. But there is no doubt about the value of this site to me, and to many other Chief fans.

Thanks for all your hard work, guys!

crossbow
04-24-2005, 07:38 AM
I will send a check this Friday when I get paid.

Question: Can the board members that send money call themselves "Real" fans? Sorry, couldn't resist a dig at the king.

jeffrho68
04-24-2005, 08:04 AM
Donation sent. Thanks for providing one of the best forums on the 'net!

mlyonsd
04-24-2005, 08:06 AM
I'm in once Paypal gets it's act together.

Edubs
04-24-2005, 09:10 AM
Will send some moeny as soon as I can. Love the site.

I have a bag of clothes I was going to give to Goodwill. If you guys are struggling I can send you that as well. I am sure you will enjoy the stylish gear/outdated fashion. I sware I only wore the undies a few times. I recently switched from boxers to boxer briefs.

Chan93lx50
04-24-2005, 09:20 AM
I will definatly do what I can, wont be much but something!

Mr. Kotter
04-24-2005, 09:32 AM
Donation sent via PayPal. I've been freeloading long enough. Hope it helps.

Keep up the good work. :clap:

DTLB58
04-24-2005, 09:36 AM
I will send a check this Friday when I get paid.

Question: Can the board members that send money call themselves "Real" fans? Sorry, couldn't resist a dig at the king.

Excellent :clap:

BigRedChief
04-24-2005, 09:38 AM
Since I'm a "Real" Chiefs fan I my as well be a "Real" Planeteer. One more newbie contributor on board.

dirk digler
04-24-2005, 09:39 AM
I paid and I will pay more after the first of the month. Thanks Phil and Kyle for all that you do and have done. I can't live without ChiefsPlanet.

DTLB58
04-24-2005, 09:41 AM
I WILL send a check (I've had my paypal account stolen twice, no more)

Thanks for all you do guys. I don't know what I would do without all the info and entertainment the site provides to me. Keep up the great work :thumb:

Here's to the Chiefs Planet :toast:

ChiefGator
04-24-2005, 09:47 AM
This is a great site, and I certainly don't mind DONATING some money to assist with costs.

However, can you please explain what REVENUES you will have in 6 months? Is this going to turn into a paid site?

Mark, wants to know what he'll be supporting.

1adam1238
04-24-2005, 09:50 AM
I used to be one of those lurkers for the first year or so, but now things have changed. Its a great place to get my chiefs news when I don't live in KC. You have my support.

Phobia
04-24-2005, 09:54 AM
Sure - sorry I wasn't more clear in the starter.

Our plans are to solicite advertisers and sponsors for the site. This will become the bulk of the revenue. We're also opening a Chiefs store in which we'll carry our own ChiefsPlanet merchandise alongside officially licensed NFL gear. Finally, we're planning to offer premium content/features for a nominal subscription to our members. The subscription will be entirely optional and non-subscribers will be able to access the board just as they do now. It will be a more professional way of taking donations. I don't think that's a "pay site" where you're forced to pay or no access, but your definition may vary.

Jenson71
04-24-2005, 10:06 AM
Finally, we're planning to offer premium content/features for a nominal subscription to our members. The subscription will be entirely optional and non-subscribers will be able to access the board just as they do now.

Hmm. When will we know the benefits of being a subscriber?

BigRedChief

Our plans are to solicite advertisers and sponsors for the site. This will become the bulk of the revenue. We're also opening a Chiefs store in which we'll carry our own ChiefsPlanet merchandise alongside officially licensed NFL gear. Finally, we're planning to offer premium content/features for a nominal subscription to our members. The subscription will be entirely optional and non-subscribers will be able to access the board just as they do now. It will be a more professional way of taking donations. I don't think that's a "pay site" where you're forced to pay or no access, but your definition may vary.

Thats very reasonable if you want access to the premium content you have to pay.

I'll buy my gear through your site instead of kcchiefs.com. You'll get a cut that way too.

I think some got the impression that they would have to pay to access this BB. Glad to hear thats not the case.:clap:

Phobia
I will donate once PayPal works.

We are sorry that we are experiencing temporary difficulties. Please try again later.

Message 5302

I don't know what was wrong with that button, but it works now.

Thanks to everybody who has given thus far.

Phobia
04-24-2005, 10:14 AM
Hmm. When will we know the benefits of being a subscriber?

Closer to the start of the season. Naturally, we're going to try to encourage people to subscribe by making it sexy. Part of it is something Kyle has talked about for a long time, gaining media access to the Chiefs. We're planning some really unique interviews with players, nothing you'd ever get from traditional media outlets. Should the media credentials work out, we'll also have players on live chats. Some of the advanced features for the board will also be available to subscriptions also - like ignore thread. Like I said, you're going to WANT to be a subscriber, but we're not going to price it out of the range of most people. Additionally, we'll offer student and military discounts.

alanm
04-24-2005, 10:52 AM
Closer to the start of the season. Naturally, we're going to try to encourage people to subscribe by making it sexy. Part of it is something Kyle has talked about for a long time, gaining media access to the Chiefs. We're planning some really unique interviews with players, nothing you'd ever get from traditional media outlets. Should the media credentials work out, we'll also have players on live chats. Some of the advanced features for the board will also be available to subscriptions also - like ignore thread. Like I said, you're going to WANT to be a subscriber, but we're not going to price it out of the range of most people. Additionally, we'll offer student and military discounts.
How bout retired folk(At 46) discounts for guys who are students again living on a fixed income ROFL and relying on their GF's to feed them? I'll send something via paypal shortly. :p

Fat Elvis
04-24-2005, 11:06 AM

Heh, Nick Athon is going to start writing for the Planet.
STFU ROFL

KCWolfman
04-24-2005, 11:09 AM
Done

KCWolfman
04-24-2005, 11:10 AM
I don't know what was wrong with that button, but it works now.

Thanks to everybody who has given thus far.
Worked fine for me.

ChiefGator
04-24-2005, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the clarification.

I will donate with my very next paycheck.

Mark

Rausch
04-24-2005, 12:04 PM

How about a chiefsplanet cool cup? A six pack of Bob Dole Amber Bock? "Kiss my Gaz" T-shirt? :)

Chiefs_Fan_n_64081
04-24-2005, 12:11 PM
I gave a little even though my attendance is spotty.

SCTrojan
04-24-2005, 12:16 PM
Done.

Count Alex's Losses
04-24-2005, 12:46 PM
Very cool. I'd love to help from the media side if I can do anything from my remote location.

VonneMarie
04-24-2005, 01:21 PM
I can donate on Friday. :)

StcChief
04-24-2005, 02:41 PM
Paypal sent ok. Thanks for work on site.

old_geezer
04-24-2005, 03:09 PM
Hopfully you've received mine by now. It's been so long since I've used PayPal that I had to update my email and credit card info. :)

HemiEd
04-24-2005, 03:36 PM
PayPal done for now, Thanks for the site and what you guys do. :thumb:

kccrazzi
04-24-2005, 05:17 PM
We will send money on pay pal today (We meaning wife and I). Don't post much, but am on here 4-5 times a day. Most reliable up to date news on the CHIEFS.We will send more next month.Thanks for everything you do!

Bill Lundberg
04-24-2005, 05:43 PM
Paypal is sent. Keep up the good work!

ENDelt260
04-24-2005, 06:04 PM
The check's in the mail (You're beautiful)
Don't ever change (You know what I mean)

DaneMcCloud
04-24-2005, 06:49 PM
Done. Don't go changin'.

Jenson71
04-24-2005, 07:22 PM
Let's see. I could pay someone cash if I ever meet up with them at a game. Got no checks, got no PayPal.

Boozer
04-24-2005, 07:27 PM
Let's see. I could pay someone cash if I ever meet up with them at a game. Got no checks, got no PayPal.

See if Phil will accept wampum.

Phobia
04-24-2005, 07:28 PM

Money order/cashiers check is free or nearly free at your bank.

Jenson71
04-24-2005, 07:29 PM
See if Phil will accept wampum.

Got no wampum either. :(

Saulbadguy
04-24-2005, 07:53 PM
Thanks!

J Diddy
04-24-2005, 08:22 PM
Does this mean we're investors?

If so can I ban people?

Phobia
04-24-2005, 08:27 PM
Does this mean we're investors?

If so can I ban people?

I think banning will be for sale. You can ban whomever you wish for an escalating price per day.

Count Alex's Losses
04-24-2005, 08:34 PM
I think banning will be for sale. You can ban whomever you wish for an escalating price per day.

I'm toast.

alanm
04-24-2005, 08:39 PM
Ponied up a small pittance earlier.

Bowser
04-24-2005, 08:46 PM
I'm toast.

ROFL

Nice "knowin'" you.......

Bowser
04-24-2005, 08:51 PM
Yeah, this is better than having stuck up bastiges turn you down trying to do them a favor by fixing up old, decrepid basements, eh? The nerve of some people!

I will admit that I can be classed as an "abuser" of ChiefsPlanet thus far in my time here, but that is a standing I plan to change. This site is a wonderful place for info on everything, and you and Kyle deserve to get it the way you want it.

Thanks to you both for all you do.

BIG_DADDY
04-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Checks in the mail tomorrow, keep up the good work guys I love this place.

ENDelt260
04-24-2005, 09:25 PM
You realize Rausch is going to rob a liquor store now, right?

ENDelt260
04-24-2005, 09:26 PM
I'm toast.
Like banning you does any good.

Skip Towne
04-24-2005, 09:50 PM
Like banning you does any good.
I wish you'd find an effective method. That dipshit needs banned.

Merril Hoge
04-24-2005, 09:51 PM
Send my bill to ESPN.

Skip Towne
04-24-2005, 09:53 PM
I wish you'd find an effective method. That dipshit needs banned.
Why not just ban him to force him back underground? He's less annoying when he has to use an alias.

Woodrow Call
04-24-2005, 11:12 PM
Just sent my Paypal. I will send more next week.

kc rush
04-24-2005, 11:17 PM
done - sent a little. Can try again down the road.

badgirl
04-24-2005, 11:40 PM

When stumppy comes in I'll see how much we can send, we'll be glad to help, I really like being on here and glad I signed up, I noticed you're gonnna be getting ChiefsPlanet merchandise, that is great, I will wear it out every time I go out and see if someone says "Hey you on CP? Me too!!! maby I'll meet some other posters that way. :)

big nasty kcnut
04-24-2005, 11:40 PM
i'll try to get some cash and sent it to you. i don't have much but this site been good to me.

ENDelt260
04-25-2005, 03:33 AM
I like seeing folks say they don't have much, but will give a little. It doesn't take a genius to do the math and realize that if every registered member gave one dollar, this place would be flush with cash.

Don't think that just because you don't have $100 to throw at the board that your donation wouldn't be appreciated. Those small donations add up.

the Talking Can
04-25-2005, 07:36 AM
I'd like to see this site with more hookers and less Rich Scanlon comments.

KCWolfman
04-25-2005, 08:12 AM
When stumppy comes in I'll see how much we can send, we'll be glad to help, I really like being on here and glad I signed up, I noticed you're gonnna be getting ChiefsPlanet merchandise, that is great, I will wear it out every time I go out and see if someone says "Hey you on CP? Me too!!! maby I'll meet some other posters that way. :)
Just do like you do when you go shopping for shoes. Wait until he is asleep and empty his wallet, then send the cash to Chiefsplanet.

Phobia
04-25-2005, 08:13 AM
Just do like you do when you go shopping for shoes. Wait until he is asleep and empty his wallet, then send the cash to Chiefsplanet.

Wallet?

badgirl, we accept Tax return checks here at ChiefsPlanet. It's just one other way we're here to serve you.

ptlyon
04-25-2005, 09:16 AM
50 your way guys.

Thanks for CP and all of your support!

Now get that "word hide" function working! ;)

Fire Me Boy!
04-25-2005, 10:17 AM
Sent via PayPal... wish I could send more, but I don't work three jobs because I enjoy it.

Fire Me Boy!
04-25-2005, 10:18 AM
How about a little donation thermometer saying how much the site has put up?

ChiTown
04-25-2005, 10:21 AM
Sending some of my good fortune your way (via paypal). Thanks to all the folks that help make this such a great place to hang out.

:clap:

Nzoner
04-25-2005, 11:12 AM
I'll be sending some.

In regards to advertising are we going to be doing any to increase membership?I could donate some ad space as well if so.

Thanks for all you guys do.

Katie
04-25-2005, 11:15 AM
O.K....I'm in. No one appreciates more than us out-of-towners the value of this place. There's no place like the Planet! Phil, if you guys need any admin support, let me know. I'm moving in June, but would be happy to pitch in secretarial type support or whatever...

htismaqe
04-25-2005, 11:37 AM
I sent mine yesterday via PayPal.

ChiTown
04-25-2005, 11:38 AM

That would be pretty cool. What say you, site admins?

bogie
04-25-2005, 11:58 AM
Money well spent. Thanks!

Mr. Kotter
04-25-2005, 12:09 PM

Nothing like a little competitive incentive to motivate testosterone crazed fanatics. Heh.

Bearcat
04-25-2005, 12:10 PM
I know it's not vB, but minus the ads, I like how these guys (http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/) do it... and the contributions (http://www.letsgowings.com/cs.html) start at $5.

Not that I'd ever support such a vile site :p

chiefs4me
04-25-2005, 12:43 PM
Damn.....maybe I should of used snail mail...just took me almost 30 min to send money to you. Must be lots of people sending money or the weather...hope you got it. And thanks for my new home away form home.

chiefs4me
04-25-2005, 12:53 PM
I know it's not vB, but minus the ads, I like how these guys (http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/) do it... and the contributions (http://www.letsgowings.com/cs.html) start at $5.

Not that I'd ever support such a vile site :p

I popped on your link to check it out......and you burnt my freaking eyes.....:deevee: please don't ever post vile crap like that again.;)

Love those Stars....

badgirl
04-25-2005, 02:19 PM
Wallet?

badgirl, we accept Tax return checks here at ChiefsPlanet. It's just one other way we're here to serve you.
still waiting on my tax return, it may take longer. :p

ENDelt260
04-25-2005, 07:09 PM
I'd like to see this site with more hookers and less Rich Scanlon comments.
Can't argue with that one.

What donation level is required for this one, Phil?

ENDelt260
04-25-2005, 07:11 PM
still waiting on my tax return, it may take longer. :p

That sucks for you. Local exotic dancers have been reaping the benefits of my return for a couple weeks now.

Phobia
04-25-2005, 07:39 PM
Can't argue with that one.

What donation level is required for this one, Phil?

One would need to match Herzig's donation level of $50,000 to get hookers and a customized filter for Scanlon.

Fairplay
04-25-2005, 07:50 PM
I will give money but only if im assured it goes directly to Endelt. For whatever purposes he deems necessary.

Phobia
04-25-2005, 07:53 PM

I would do something like that and have in the past. Based on several dynamics, I don't think we're going to do that this time. What it boiled down to is the more money raised, the more money, time, and effort we can pour back into it.

If we raise $25k, we'll have ChiefsPlanet organized tailgates every Sunday at Arrowhead. The week before the game, you'll be able to order your Ribs, Brisket, and brews right here on the planet and pay. You'll be able to come in the gates an hour before everybody else and park in a designated ChiefsPlanet parking section. When checks start rolling in at the end of the week, I expect we'll only have about $24,000 to reach that kind of goal.

Nzoner
04-25-2005, 08:04 PM
I would do something like that and have in the past. Based on several dynamics, I don't think we're going to do that this time. What it boiled down to is the more money raised, the more money, time, and effort we can pour back into it.

If we raise $25k, we'll have ChiefsPlanet organized tailgates every Sunday at Arrowhead. The week before the game, you'll be able to order your Ribs, Brisket, and brews right here on the planet and pay. You'll be able to come in the gates an hour before everybody else and park in a designated ChiefsPlanet parking section. When checks start rolling in at the end of the week, I expect we'll only have about $24,000 to reach that kind of goal.

I see a helluva lot of work in your future but then again that comes with being an owner.Sounds like you've got some great ideas,good luck and keep it up.

ENDelt260
04-25-2005, 08:11 PM
One would need to match Herzig's donation level of $50,000 to get hookers and a customized filter for Scanlon.
I could get one and a half decks built for that much.

ENDelt260
04-25-2005, 08:12 PM
I will give money but only if im assured it goes directly to Endelt. For whatever purposes he deems necessary.
Thanks for your support. Would you like me to note the names of the ladies I buy lapdances from with your money and report back to you?

|Zach|
04-25-2005, 08:12 PM
I may consider donating when I become a regular member.

ENDelt260
04-25-2005, 08:14 PM
I'm less generous when I'm constipated, too.

Nzoner
04-25-2005, 08:14 PM

Is that anything like a "real fan?"

|Zach|
04-25-2005, 08:21 PM
Is that anything like a "real fan?"
Something of that nature. :)

Phobia
04-25-2005, 08:22 PM

How about you consider growing a member?

|Zach|
04-25-2005, 08:23 PM
They don't just grow on trees Phil.

Maybe if I find a good deal on Ebay or something.

ENDelt260
04-25-2005, 08:24 PM
If only one of us could've worked a play on both regular and member in the same joke.

|Zach|
04-25-2005, 08:33 PM
If only one of us could've worked a play on both regular and member in the same joke.
amatuer

Mr. Kotter
04-25-2005, 08:47 PM
.....If we raise $25k, we'll have ChiefsPlanet organized tailgates every Sunday at Arrowhead. The week before the game, you'll be able to order your Ribs, Brisket, and brews right here on the planet and pay. You'll be able to come in the gates an hour before everybody else and park in a designated ChiefsPlanet parking section.....

Holy crap, that would be sweet. :drool: Tippin' brews and nawin' on ribs, 8 am on a Sunday morning, awaiting a kickoff for a Chief's home game. THAT, my friends would be heaven on earth....Phil, you think we could get the Chief's cheerleaders......eh, scratch that.....how about the Solid Gold girls (does KC have a Solid Gold?) for private showings? :hmmm:

Seriously though, if Phil could pull this off....I'll personally double my donation. :D

Phobia
04-25-2005, 09:09 PM
Holy crap, that would be sweet. :drool: Tippin' brews and nawin' on ribs, 8 am on a Sunday morning, awaiting a kickoff for a Chief's home game. THAT, my friends would be heaven on earth....Phil, you think we could get the Chief's cheerleaders......eh, scratch that.....how about the Solid Gold girls (does KC have a Solid Gold?) for private showings? :hmmm:

Seriously though, if Phil could pull this off....I'll personally double my donation. :D

I know I could pull it off, but it takes some grease to get the wheels turning. I don't realistically see it happening, but if a lottery winner chooses to spread ChiefsPlanet some goodwill, we'll have a tent, bus, smoker, and keg out there every Sunday. Hell, I'd go out and sit in the parking lot, watching the game on a TV with TiVo. When everybody came out of the game, I'd have your highlights all queued up ready for review.

ENDelt260
04-25-2005, 09:31 PM
You really could do all that for only $25K? Sheesh, that's only $5 per registered member.

Phobia
04-25-2005, 09:32 PM
You really could do all that for only $25K? Sheesh, that's only $5 per registered member.

I'm still waiting for the armored car delivery from Tom Cash.

Mr. Kotter
04-25-2005, 10:14 PM

Eh...does that include aliases and additional user names? :hmmm:

|Zach|
04-25-2005, 10:15 PM
ha

ENDelt260
04-25-2005, 10:19 PM
It's only gonna cost you $30.... right?

Mr. Kotter
04-25-2005, 10:21 PM
It's only gonna cost you $30.... right?

Nah....$5 per username would put me at $45-50....so I'm covered, at the moment...heh :p

Pants
04-25-2005, 10:23 PM

Someone didn't get Phobia's joke about Tom Cash and the armored car.

Inspector
04-25-2005, 10:24 PM
Made a note to pass this expenditure to the minister of finance (a.k.a. my wife)

She usually sends out the $$ at the first of the month - next week.

Thanks for this place - keeps me almost sane at work. And thanks for the referrals.

Mr. Kotter
04-25-2005, 10:24 PM
Someone didn't get Phobia's joke about Tom Cash and the armored car.

I got it; I think he'll be waiting for a long time for TC's armored car...I'm not anywhere NEAR that rarified air. :shake:

Phobia
04-25-2005, 10:26 PM
Thanks for this place - keeps me almost sane at work. And thanks for the referrals.

No prob. I wanted to use you on that Westport job last year.... but that's the crazy bitch that didn't pay.

Inspector
04-25-2005, 10:32 PM
No prob. I wanted to use you on that Westport job last year.... but that's the crazy bitch that didn't pay.

Yikes.

Glad I missed that one....

BTW, I'll be using snail mail. We're not into using credit cards.

Damn, we're almost neighbors. I moved a couple of years ago (after the kids finally moved out) into a smaller house. Before I moved I lived in Oak Hill Lake - right off Woodson at 72nd. I think that's right in your neighborhood.

Phobia
04-25-2005, 10:33 PM
It's pretty darn close. I live on the other side of that railroad bridge.

philfree
04-26-2005, 12:02 AM
So without naming names what's the biggest single donation? Who know's if it ain't to large I might just match it. I donated some already but if you're serious about a tent and bar-b-q every home game I could be persuaded to give more.

PhilFree:arrow:

Phobia
04-26-2005, 12:15 AM
So without naming names what's the biggest single donation? Who know's if it ain't to large I might just match it. I donated some already but if you're serious about a tent and bar-b-q every home game I could be persuaded to give more.

I am serious about a ChiefsPlanet tailgate, but that's a best case scenario. ChiefsPlanet would need to generate enough cash to buy some necessities to pull that off. I have a lot of things we could use for that (such as my new smoker), but that takes a LOT of time and effort to do right.

Naturally, I don't have any checks yet, so I'll wait a while to disclose the largest gift.

Aren't you a business owner? How about a tax deductable sponsorship package to ChiefsPlanet?

philfree
04-26-2005, 01:20 AM
I am serious about a ChiefsPlanet tailgate, but that's a best case scenario. ChiefsPlanet would need to generate enough cash to buy some necessities to pull that off. I have a lot of things we could use for that (such as my new smoker), but that takes a LOT of time and effort to do right.

Naturally, I don't have any checks yet, so I'll wait a while to disclose the largest gift.

Aren't you a business owner? How about a tax deductable sponsorship package to ChiefsPlanet?

I don't have sole decision making on stuff like that so anything I do will be on my own. I see an opportunity for something pretty cool to enhance my Arrowhead Experience and don't mind helping out with a few bucks though. I've crashed one of those tent parties once and it was pretty fun.

Count Alex's Losses
04-26-2005, 03:05 PM

Holy shit. You're becoming the Jerry Jones of Chiefsplanet.

BigRedChief
04-26-2005, 05:44 PM
Holy shit. You're becoming the Jerry Jones of Chiefsplanet.

Where's the pre and post facelift pictures?

milkman
04-26-2005, 09:11 PM
When's Red Friday?

I'll send some jack the Planets way in a few days.

Phobia
04-26-2005, 09:18 PM
When's Red Friday?

I'll send some jack the Planets way in a few days.

The Friday before the home opener.

KCWolfman
04-26-2005, 09:46 PM
The Friday before the home opener.
What a cool idea. They should do that every year.

headsnap
04-27-2005, 05:44 AM
damnit!!!

consider my arm twisted...

I'm in! :thumb:

Scaga
04-27-2005, 08:46 AM
Done deal...

in my best Bill Murry voice:

"Sent you a little something, you know...for the effort."

Calcountry
04-28-2005, 12:26 PM
I am a little tight right now, but when it becomes a pay for enhanced content, I will definitely sign up.

HemiEd
04-29-2005, 06:11 AM
So Phil, how is going so far? Is the money coming in as promised?

Phobia
04-29-2005, 08:40 AM
So Phil, how is going so far? Is the money coming in as promised?

Yeah, it's going well. I've had 3 checks and several paypal gifts. The only problem is that I didn't include a special field for online handle, so I don't know who at least half the people are. Which, is good if y'all were going for anonymous. Heh heh.

Thanks to everyone who has sent a gift thus far. Kyle and I have big plans for site improvements so you'll be happy you did.

chiefs4me
04-29-2005, 08:50 AM
That sucks......now you think my husband paid and I didn't.........:deevee: Oh wait a minute....I forgot how sneaky you are...you know where I live, what my house looks like and my real last name...:hmmm:

Phobia
04-29-2005, 08:52 AM
That sucks......now you think my husband paid and I didn't.........:deevee: Oh wait a minute....I forgot how sneaky you are...you know where I live, what my house looks like and my real last name...:hmmm:

Which has nothing to do with my sneakiness and everything to do with your carelessness. Heh. You're bad at internet anonymity.

chiefs4me
04-29-2005, 08:58 AM
Which has nothing to do with my sneakiness and everything to do with your carelessness. Heh. You're bad at internet anonymity.

I didn't think I had to use my anonymity from the mods.....and after you posted my house. I realized what I had done and fixed it.:)

Phobia
04-29-2005, 09:08 AM
I didn't think I had to use my anonymity from the mods.....and after you posted my house. I realized what I had done and fixed it.:)

Now you're making me look like a stalker. For the record:

Our friend Chiefs4me has 2 accounts, kcchiefs4me and the one she uses. The other account had an email address which contained her last name. Since she's shared her town and state, I thought it might be fun to mess with her one day. On a random thread she had created, I posted the mapquest image of her neighborhood. Heh. Then she got a little freaked out about it. It was funny. Now she's getting me back.... which is funny, too.

chiefs4me
04-29-2005, 09:27 AM
Now you're making me look like a stalker. For the record:

Our friend Chiefs4me has 2 accounts, kcchiefs4me and the one she uses. The other account had an email address which contained her last name. Since she's shared her town and state, I thought it might be fun to mess with her one day. On a random thread she had created, I posted the mapquest image of her neighborhood. Heh. Then she got a little freaked out about it. It was funny. Now she's getting me back.... which is funny, too.

That's not fair posting my other user name.......and how am I getting you back? I was funning with you and making conservation....isin't that what I am supposed to do.....:hmmm: Just forget it..I can tell you are not in a playing mood.

Phobia
04-29-2005, 09:33 AM
That's not fair posting my other user name.......and how am I getting you back? I was funning with you and making conservation....isin't that what I am supposed to do.....:hmmm: Just forget it..I can tell you are not in a playing mood.

I'm pretty sure people could have figured it out on their own.

I can take it, but I wanted to clarify that I'm not actually a stalker on a fundraising thread, ya know? Heh.

go bowe
04-29-2005, 11:40 AM
I'm pretty sure people could have figured it out on their own.

I can take it, but I wanted to clarify that I'm not actually a stalker on a fundraising thread, ya know? Heh.you're not a stalker?

whew, now i can relax... :p :p :p

Phobia
04-29-2005, 05:47 PM
you're not a stalker?

whew, now i can relax... :p :p :p

Well, I am but I leave the old, fat guys alone. Heh.

|Zach|
04-29-2005, 07:21 PM
Well, I am but I leave the old, fat guys alone. Heh.
What about young ones? :hmmm:

Fire Me Boy!
04-29-2005, 11:55 PM
So will all this be set up BEFORE the home opener? I'm going to join, but I've got tickets to the 9/11 game and was REALLY intrigued by the idea of even earlier entry... plus being able to hang out and tailgate with you guys. Unfortunately, I'm not a real Chiefs fan since I don't have season tickets, but I'll at least be making the opener this year.

Fire Me Boy!
04-29-2005, 11:58 PM
And how will paid members be able to identify themselves as CP members at the gate to get in early? Will it be like a parking tag or something?

go bowe
04-30-2005, 12:02 AM
Well, I am but I leave the old, fat guys alone. Heh.thank gawd...

i'm saving myself for denver chief, you know... :p :p :p

go bowe
04-30-2005, 12:02 AM
What about young ones? :hmmm:be wary, young one...

very, very wary...

Phobia
04-30-2005, 12:04 AM
So will all this be set up BEFORE the home opener? I'm going to join, but I've got tickets to the 9/11 game and was REALLY intrigued by the idea of even earlier entry... plus being able to hang out and tailgate with you guys. Unfortunately, I'm not a real Chiefs fan since I don't have season tickets, but I'll at least be making the opener this year.

I'm unsure of the question, but I'll try to answer as best I can.

We intend to complete a total rehaul of the site by the home opener. We'll add as many features, updates, hacks, and functionality as we are able by than.

Regarding tailgating: the concept mentioned earlier in the thread is just that - a concept. I'm not setup to provide that service. I'd be interested in doing something like that under the ChiefsPlanet.com umbrella, but we don't have room in our budget for the expense at this time. I don't realistically expect to see that happen this year unless we have some unexpected windfall through the gifts solicited in this thread.

However, there are several groups of Planeteers whom tailgate and most would gladly extend an invite. B5 has an open invitation to stop by and that's where most Planeteers meet one another. But, that's not an actual ChiefsPlanet tailgate for a few complicated reasons. Which is why I'd kinda like to create our own thing.

Fire Me Boy!
04-30-2005, 12:06 AM
OK... the games I've been to I parked in B5 and probably met quite a few of you, but didn't know it (I didn't become a regular here till November last year). The organized tailgate would be cool, but I'd say it would actually be better just for the reserved parking and the ability to get in the gates earlier... I for one probably wouldn't buy anything, but rather set up my own grill.

Sure-Oz
04-30-2005, 11:58 AM
I just sent $10 towards the planet, got payed yesterday! Thanks for the great site.

headsnap
04-30-2005, 06:36 PM
I just did $20 through pay-pal... :)

philfree
04-30-2005, 09:39 PM
So KlostaPhobia, How much is the biggest donation so far? I gave some but if ain't to much I might match the biggest donation just cause that's the way I am. Maybe other's will follow my lead? ....Well maybe not....

Phobia
04-30-2005, 10:19 PM
$125 is the largest thus far. You should probably go with that. There's a regular who generally opens up his wallet pretty deeply when we do these things and I'm not sure you wanna match several hundy. ;)

ChiTown
05-01-2005, 11:23 AM
$125 is the largest thus far. You should probably go with that. There's a regular who generally opens up his wallet pretty deeply when we do these things and I'm not sure you wanna match several hundy. ;)

I don't care about who gave what, but it would be interesting to know what you need, and how much we've got so far. Thanks

philfree
05-01-2005, 12:27 PM

That depends wether you're gonna throw me a tailgate party or not.

|Zach|
05-01-2005, 12:34 PM
:hmmm:

Phobia
05-01-2005, 03:18 PM
I don't care about who gave what, but it would be interesting to know what you need, and how much we've got so far. Thanks

We don't have an established goal this year. We're planning a software updates, design upgrades, performance balancing, and layout changes. The more money we raise, the better and more quickly those changes take place. The stuff Kyle and I can do cost nothing, but everything else is quite expensive. There are also some startup costs for the opening of our Planet store to consider. Soon, the store will be a profit center and help to support the Planet, but right now it's overhead.

So, my pipedream goal is $25k. We don't quite have $2k. I think a more realistic goal would be $6k by Sept 9th. We could probably do that.

Phobia
05-01-2005, 03:19 PM
That depends wether you're gonna throw me a tailgate party or not.

We're gonna throw a pretty cool tailgate Oct 15th.

Kclee
05-01-2005, 04:37 PM
That sucks......now you think my husband paid and I didn't

Heh, yeah, I used my wifes account. I didn't feel like opening an account for myself. Then I accidently hit the 'done' button twice. So if you get two payments from me just put the extra payment towards this:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2342978#post2342978

Phobia
05-01-2005, 04:39 PM
Heh, yeah, I used my wifes account. I didn't feel like opening an account for myself. Then I accidently hit the 'done' button twice. So if you get two payments from me just put the extra payment towards this:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2342978#post2342978

We didn't. You're gonna have to send 2 more. ;)

Xtrahot
05-02-2005, 10:46 PM
Xtrahot aka Lucker Supremo just dropped off 20.

Thanks for the site.

Nzoner
05-02-2005, 10:49 PM
We're gonna throw a pretty cool tailgate Oct 15th.

So we're going for an all-nighter this time?

Phobia
05-03-2005, 09:39 AM
So we're going for an all-nighter this time?

Good point, I forgot about all the old people. I guess we'll have the tailgate on the 16th.

Brock
05-03-2005, 02:50 PM
Pay up, cheap bastards.

ChiTown
05-03-2005, 03:17 PM
So, my pipedream goal is $25k. We don't quite have $2k. I think a more realistic goal would be $6k by Sept 9th. We could probably do that.

Geez

Thats disappointing. I thought we'd be doing better than that.

We need to outline what you need to make your goal. Like this:

5 Donations @ $200

40 @ $100

100 @ $50

250 @ $20

500 @ $10

That gets you $20,000. The 1st 2 categories are the most difficult to find, but you only need 45 total donations at those levels. The $50 level should be met for, at a min., by the top 150 posters on this bb. The next 250 @ $20 should be met by anyone that posts a min of once week. The last 500 @$10 should be met by those that visit to get information, but rarely, if ever post. Just a thought.........

We do a $ drive like this every 3 years, right? This is excessively cheap entertainment for 36 months.

Mr. Kotter
05-03-2005, 03:23 PM

5 Donations @ $200

40 @ $100

100 @ $50

250 @ $20

500 @ $10

That gets you $20,000. The 1st 2 categories are the most difficult to find, but you only need 45 total donations at those levels. The $50 level should be met for, at a min., by the top 150 posters on this bb. The next 250 @ $20 should be met by anyone that posts a min of once week. The last 500 @$10 should be met by those that visit to get information, but rarely, if ever post. Just a thought.........

:clap: :clap: :clap:

PastorMikH
05-03-2005, 06:07 PM
I'll bet the Planet would bring in a lot of dough if the girlie thread were switched to Pay-Per-View.

:)

BIG_DADDY
05-03-2005, 09:25 PM
I'll bet the Planet would bring in a lot of dough if the girlie thread were switched to Pay-Per-View.

REP

Phobia
05-03-2005, 10:11 PM
Geez

Thats disappointing. I thought we'd be doing better than that.

5 Donations @ $200

40 @ $100

100 @ $50

250 @ $20

500 @ $10

We do a $ drive like this every 3 years, right? This is excessively cheap entertainment for 36 months.

Very cool idea. I'd love to do something like this, but I really don't like "begging" for contributions - which is why I'd rather do a subscriber model. Subscribers get more features and benefits and freeloaders get vanillaPlanet. The thing I hate most about asking for contributions is it's always the same people opening their wallets deeply and carrying the ones who can't spare $10 while they blow through 2 packs a day. I think the coolest donation this time around was from a college student who took the time to send $2. I got the feeling that $2 hurt. Now I'm rambling, but I did want to acknowledge your response, ChiTown. Do you think it's too late to try that with this fundraiser?

Mr. Kotter
05-03-2005, 10:21 PM
... Do you think it's too late to try that with this fundraiser?

Not at all. It would give us something to shoot for! Football fans are competitive by nature...

And it may prevent "good intentions" from slipping away into apathy--or the ole "I'll get around to it sometime"--but-never-do-syndrome. For example, I've said I'll send more; if somethin' like this were hangin' out there, I'll definitely be more likely to actually do it.

:thumb:

go bowe
05-03-2005, 10:43 PM
Very cool idea. I'd love to do something like this, but I really don't like "begging" for contributions - which is why I'd rather do a subscriber model. Subscribers get more features and benefits and freeloaders get vanillaPlanet. The thing I hate most about asking for contributions is it's always the same people opening their wallets deeply and carrying the ones who can't spare $10 while they blow through 2 packs a day. I think the coolest donation this time around was from a college student who took the time to send $2. I got the feeling that $2 hurt. Now I'm rambling, but I did want to acknowledge your response, ChiTown. Do you think it's too late to try that with this fundraiser?hey, some of us can't afford luxuries anymore...

that doesn't make us "freeloaders"... :shake: :shake: :shake:

well, yes it does...

Phobia
05-03-2005, 10:50 PM
hey, some of us can't afford luxuries anymore...

that doesn't make us "freeloaders"... :shake: :shake: :shake:

well, yes it does...

Heh heh. You're not a freeloader. You always kick in despite your limited disposable income these days.

Logical
05-03-2005, 11:05 PM
Why does this thread try to automatically open paypal, that is annoying. By the way I will likely be mailing my contribution in the next couple of days.

Stinger
05-03-2005, 11:22 PM
The thing I hate most about asking for contributions is it's always the same people opening their wallets deeply and carrying the ones who can't spare $10 while they blow through 2 packs a day.

Actually you find that in fundraising of any kind that this holds true. That in a community of a town large or small, or bulletin board in this case, that it more than likely the same people who give to the causes and the masses don't.

I think ChiTown's outline is very doable, in fact I would think that if you would raise the top dollar levels some, even a little, and package it as also a donation to the 37 foundation you might open more avenues. Especially if you are going to go after corporate or businesses.

With the top donators throw in some extra perks to the sight, possibility of a discount in the store (just throwing out ideas), Entry into the 37 Forever banquet or being recognized if they wish, etc.

Rausch
05-04-2005, 12:36 AM
I absolutely hate paypall, but I owe Kyle n' Co. about 12,492 hours worth of enjoyment.

I need a debt card option...

ENDelt260
05-04-2005, 01:15 AM
Why does this thread try to automatically open paypal

???

I'm mostly quoting this to increase the chance Phil notices your post. I'm not sure what you're describing, but it sounds like an unintentional side effect.... one which I, personally, am not experiencing... and, therefore, Phil may not be aware of as well.

Logical
05-04-2005, 02:15 AM
???

I'm mostly quoting this to increase the chance Phil notices your post. I'm not sure what you're describing, but it sounds like an unintentional side effect.... one which I, personally, am not experiencing... and, therefore, Phil may not be aware of as well.

I am using the Firefox Mozilla browser perhaps it is related. I just tried IE and it did not happen. Happens everytime with Mozilla.

Phobia
05-04-2005, 09:15 AM
I am using the Firefox Mozilla browser perhaps it is related. I just tried IE and it did not happen. Happens everytime with Mozilla.

I'm using Firefox, too. It's not happening for me. No idea. There's just a little html button sitting there. It shouldn't be opening paypal at all.

I'm baffled.

Is anybody else experiencing that?

ChiTown
05-04-2005, 10:01 AM
Very cool idea. I'd love to do something like this, but I really don't like "begging" for contributions - which is why I'd rather do a subscriber model. Subscribers get more features and benefits and freeloaders get vanillaPlanet. The thing I hate most about asking for contributions is it's always the same people opening their wallets deeply and carrying the ones who can't spare $10 while they blow through 2 packs a day. I think the coolest donation this time around was from a college student who took the time to send $2. I got the feeling that $2 hurt. Now I'm rambling, but I did want to acknowledge your response, ChiTown. Do you think it's too late to try that with this fundraiser?

I don't think it's too late at all. But, it does take a helluvalot of babysitting.

The deal is that you have to either know a little something about the people you are dealing with (financially speaking), and/or you need people on this bb to just fn pony up and make it happen. Most likely, you won't get the majority to pony up. People have tons of excuses why not to give, but they'll sit on here night and day with little problem. So we might have to use a little pressure on the people we know to open their wallets and donate.

I'm sorry if I'm pissing people off, but I love this site. If we have a chance to make it better, then let's get it done. Cut back on a couple of weekends (dinner/drinks), use a month's worth of entertainment dollars to go towards CP, donate over 3 months vs. lump sum, etc, etc.

I suggest making this drive a 4 month deal. May-August. People can then donate a little every month if that helps. I still like the donor format though. It really helps define what you need, and then we can tell people what we have to have in order to reach our goal. I don't want to chase people away from this site by asking for money, but this is by far the best NFL site I"ve ever participated in. I'd like to keep that way.

PHOG
05-04-2005, 11:52 AM
$25.00 coming your way thru Paypal. :thumb:

Keep up the good work.. :)

chiefs4me
05-04-2005, 12:17 PM
I don't think it's too late at all. But, it does take a helluvalot of babysitting.

The deal is that you have to either know a little something about the people you are dealing with (financially speaking), and/or you need people on this bb to just fn pony up and make it happen. Most likely, you won't get the majority to pony up. People have tons of excuses why not to give, but they'll sit on here night and day with little problem. So we might have to use a little pressure on the people we know to open their wallets and donate.

I'm sorry if I'm pissing people off, but I love this site. If we have a chance to make it better, then let's get it done. Cut back on a couple of weekends (dinner/drinks), use a month's worth of entertainment dollars to go towards CP, donate over 3 months vs. lump sum, etc, etc.

I suggest making this drive a 4 month deal. May-August. People can then donate a little every month if that helps. I still like the donor format though. It really helps define what you need, and then we can tell people what we have to have in order to reach our goal. I don't want to chase people away from this site by asking for money, but this is by far the best NFL site I"ve ever participated in. I'd like to keep that way.

Really good idea.....but you have to be careful asking people for money. It is a very touchy subject with some. I know of a board last year that had lots of members, and they started to ask for money alot and make you pay to belong. Needless to say it is no longer on the net. People just kept leaving for a free site.....I love this site and don't want to see it go away, or lose members. I sent some last week and will send more when I can......:) Keep up the great work Phobs.

Kclee
05-04-2005, 12:20 PM

It's just a hint to hurry up and donate. :)

Phobia
05-04-2005, 01:19 PM
Really good idea.....but you have to be careful asking people for money. It is a very touchy subject with some.

Yeah, I'm very cognizant of that. I grew up in a family that was VERY touchy about money. I spread it around, myself. But, I understand many people are pretty tight with it.

Which, is why I'm trying to demonstrate the value of this place. Let's say you spent $50 a month here. Sounds expensive, huh? Not when you consider a 2 hour theater visit, a dinner for 2, a night at the local go-cart track, a ballgame, or any other form of entertainment you freqent. Each of them will set you back $50+ each VISIT. We haven't asked for a nickel in over 2 years. How much per hour does that equal for most of us? I know I'd be dropping major coin if it cost $1 an hour to play on the Planet. I'm sure glad to be holding the keys. ;)

Boozer
05-04-2005, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I'm very cognizant of that. I grew up in a family that was VERY touchy about money. I spread it around, myself. But, I understand many people are pretty tight with it.

Which, is why I'm trying to demonstrate the value of this place. Let's say you spent $50 a month here. Sounds expensive, huh? Not when you consider a 2 hour theater visit, a dinner for 2, a night at the local go-cart track, a ballgame, or any other form of entertainment you freqent. Each of them will set you back $50+ each VISIT. We haven't asked for a nickel in over 2 years. How much per hour does that equal for most of us? I know I'd be dropping major coin if it cost $1 an hour to play on the Planet. I'm sure glad to be holding the keys. ;)

At the risk of stirring up shit, I think that some people might be more generous if they know what the long term plans for the site are. If the current setup is going to remain for the foreseeable future, you (and the "core" posters) shouldn't feel bad about pressuring others to donate. Conversely, if you plan on making this place a profitable asset for yourself in the near future (and I don't think anyone that matters would begrudge you that), you shouldn't expect extremely generous donations to your business venture.

Phobia
05-04-2005, 05:35 PM
At the risk of stirring up shit, I think that some people might be more generous if they know what the long term plans for the site are. If the current setup is going to remain for the foreseeable future, you (and the "core" posters) shouldn't feel bad about pressuring others to donate. Conversely, if you plan on making this place a profitable asset for yourself in the near future (and I don't think anyone that matters would begrudge you that), you shouldn't expect extremely generous donations to your business venture.

That's a fair question. I've tried to explain my vision within this thread. My first goal is to make the site self supporting. It would be nice to have a profitable fan site, but how many of those are there? Seriously? I know almost all the Chiefs site owners and several other team site owners and they're all augmenting their sites out of their own wallet. A site in our own AFC West Coalition folded due to expenses just a couple months ago. This was the site belonging to the division winning Chargers, goldenbolt.

I'm part owner of ChiefsPlanet because I pestered AustinChief about it. I felt like we needed changes or we were going to lose people to other Chiefs sites. I'm passionate about ChiefsPlanet and that has nothing to do with money flowing in or out of my wallet. I operate the front end and Kyle runs the backend.

The money collected during this donation drive will go towards improving the site. That means paying for software, hosting, and for individuals to make coding improvements. For the past 2 years, we've had no money and you see what happened to the site. It became a poorly maintained juggernaut. I'm sure we lost people due to performance problems. I'm not going to allow that to happen again. The money you're sending now is earmarked for correction of past neglect as much as it is for future growth.

When the improvements are made to ChiefsPlanet, we're going to ask our users to voluntarily subscribe through a nominal monthly fee. The site will continue to be free for non-subscribers, lurkers, and 'bots. The only change to the process will be the elimination of these periodic, humiliating donation drives. A subscription based Planet will be more professional and more fair to the generous people who have supported this place for the past 5 years.

Thanks for asking that question. I imagine you weren't the only one thinking it. I hope I've answered it frankly enough. I'm not eating caviar and lobster with the money you guys are sending. I think when you consider my track record with money the past 5 years, you'll know that I put the welfare of this site and 37 Forever over my own financial gain always.

Boozer
05-04-2005, 05:58 PM
That's a fair question. I've tried to explain my vision within this thread. My first goal is to make the site self supporting. It would be nice to have a profitable fan site, but how many of those are there? Seriously? I know almost all the Chiefs site owners and several other team site owners and they're all augmenting their sites out of their own wallet. A site in our own AFC West Coalition folded due to expenses just a couple months ago. This was the site belonging to the division winning Chargers, goldenbolt.

I'm part owner of ChiefsPlanet because I pestered AustinChief about it. I felt like we needed changes or we were going to lose people to other Chiefs sites. I'm passionate about ChiefsPlanet and that has nothing to do with money flowing in or out of my wallet. I operate the front end and Kyle runs the backend.

The money collected during this donation drive will go towards improving the site. That means paying for software, hosting, and for individuals to make coding improvements. For the past 2 years, we've had no money and you see what happened to the site. It became a poorly maintained juggernaut. I'm sure we lost people due to performance problems. I'm not going to allow that to happen again. The money you're sending now is earmarked for correction of past neglect as much as it is for future growth.

When the improvements are made to ChiefsPlanet, we're going to ask our users to voluntarily subscribe through a nominal monthly fee. The site will continue to be free for non-subscribers, lurkers, and 'bots. The only change to the process will be the elimination of these periodic, humiliating donation drives. A subscription based Planet will be more professional and more fair to the generous people who have supported this place for the past 5 years.

Thanks for asking that question. I imagine you weren't the only one thinking it. I hope I've answered it frankly enough. I'm not eating caviar and lobster with the money you guys are sending. I think when you consider my track record with money the past 5 years, you'll know that I put the welfare of this site and 37 Forever over my own financial gain always.

Sounds great. I wasn't asking so much for myself (I thought I knew the answer), but for others who might be more suspicious.

Phobia
05-04-2005, 06:02 PM
Sounds great. I wasn't asking so much for myself (I thought I knew the answer), but for others who might be more suspicious.

It's no problem. I'm glad you asked. I wish we had started ChiefsPlanet before the great .com flairout - I probably would be eating caviar and lobster from the proceeds. Heh.

Nzoner
05-04-2005, 07:00 PM
The thing I hate most about asking for contributions is it's always the same people opening their wallets deeply and carrying the ones who can't spare $10 while they blow through 2 packs a day

Sure isolate the smokers,it's always us :)

Seriously,I'll be getting you some soon,however,my personal disposable finances have most recently went to One Arrowhead Drive.

Phobia
05-04-2005, 07:37 PM
Sure isolate the smokers,it's always us :)

Seriously,I'll be getting you some soon,however,my personal disposable finances have most recently went to One Arrowhead Drive.

Heh - that's just an example. Are you telling me we should have ran this drive in February before the season tix bills came?

stevieray
05-04-2005, 08:59 PM
Heh - that's just an example. Are you telling me we should have ran this drive in February before the season tix bills came?

smoker guilt trip?

ROFL

Phobia
05-04-2005, 09:01 PM
smoker guilt trip?

ROFL

It doesn't seem to be working. Next, I'm going to play the sequins and conchos card. :)

stevieray
05-04-2005, 09:02 PM
It doesn't seem to be working. Next, I'm going to play the sequins and conchos card. :)

Or expensive vehickles... :)

Nzoner
05-04-2005, 09:30 PM

I don't know if that could have made a difference,I just know that 4 season tickets this year put a bit more of a strain on the finances than usual and personally as much time as I spend here I'd like to send more than $10.

Of course if I could just go cold turkey for a week.

philfree
05-04-2005, 11:13 PM
I'm in for a little more.

memyselfI
05-05-2005, 11:50 AM

Your reasoning is sound. But I think rather than making $50.00 sound like a reasonable amount to donate you would be better off asking for a $15.00 'membership fee' which would entail you posting privileges. I gladly paid this amount on a Raiders site (and gladly sent you the same). Many on the Raiders site bitched and moaned when they implemented the cost but it did two things, it was a small price to ask for from people who usually post daily and kept the spammers and trouble makers away because they could not post unless they paid to do so.

So while your reasoning is sound, you would be hard pressed to get that much money from me when trying to 'reason' even though you are right. It's just the $50.00 at the dinner, ballgame, theater is spent living life with family or friends. No way could I justify donating that amount of money to a website that enables me to do less of the ballgames, dinners, theaters and interacting with people that I love. :hmmm: Sorry.

I think once you get over the $20.00 range in asking for 'donations' you are placing a value and priority judgement on this place that others may or may not share. My suggestion to you (this coming from a friend who works in the not for profit sector) is to NOT make those judgements for people. It turns them off. Guilt does not work. Instead, appeal to their generosity in ANY amount and if that does not work you are within your right to charge a membership fee and if people don't want to pay then they don't post. Most good things in life are not free...

Mr. Kotter
05-05-2005, 11:57 AM
... you would be hard pressed to get that much money from me when trying to 'reason' even though you are right. It's just the $50.00 at the dinner, ballgame, theater is spent living life with family or friends. No way could I justify donating that amount of money to a website that enables me to do less of the ballgames, dinners, theaters and interacting with people that I love. :hmmm: Sorry ...

Heh.

Heh-heh.

I think we are onto something. :)

memyselfI
05-05-2005, 11:59 AM
Heh.

Heh-heh.

I think we are onto something. :)

Yeah, but I could fork over $49.99... :p :p :p

Mr. Kotter
05-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Yeah, but I could fork over $49.99... :p :p :p

Phil, I'd consider that her pledge if I were you. :)

memyselfI
05-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Phil, I'd consider that her pledge if I were you. :)

I already pledged. Nice try. :p

Phobia
05-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Den-ise, I think you've misunderstood me again. I threw out a $50 number not suggesting that's what people should send, but imploring them to consider the cost of entertainment. I know that ChiefsPlanet is a different animal than an event you attend in person with your family. But, I want people to realize that ChiefsPlanet is probably more important to them than they've ever considered. I wouldn't want to tell anybody what they should send because every situation is different. I think there's another post on this thread where I praised the $2 donation of a college kid. I thought it was really neat.

I'm sorry I couldn't capture the essense of this support drive in the thread header. I'm trying to answer each question as it arises and trying to refrain from repeating myself.

memyselfI
05-05-2005, 12:12 PM
Den-ise, I think you've misunderstood me again. I threw out a $50 number not suggesting that's what people should send, but imploring them to consider the cost of entertainment. I know that ChiefsPlanet is a different animal than an event you attend in person with your family. But, I want people to realize that ChiefsPlanet is probably more important to them than they've ever considered. I wouldn't want to tell anybody what they should send because every situation is different. I think there's another post on this thread where I praised the $2 donation of a college kid. I thought it was really neat.

I'm sorry I couldn't capture the essense of this support drive in the thread header. I'm trying to answer each question as it arises and trying to refrain from repeating myself.

No, I understood you were throwing out a suggestion and you were equating the 'entertainment value' of CP with the types of entertainments you mentioned. I'm saying that that comparison is not shared by all. For instance, fees for activities like this or my gym membership or time with my girlfriends come from a different priority level than does the family ballgame, theater trip, dinner. Thus, while I might be perfectly happy breaking the family budget for the ballgame doing so for something that impacts, effects, entertains *ME* only takes more consideration and justification. I suspect I'm not alone here.

I understand what you are saying because I've read your posts for years....my concern was that your message was getting muddied by the making of unnecessary value judgements that defeat the legitimate purpose of what you are trying to do. Asking for money and pointing out the value of the site without placing a judgement (even by suggestion) on how people should view it is likely the best way to go.

PastorMikH
05-05-2005, 12:36 PM
Your reasoning is sound. But I think rather than making $50.00 sound like a reasonable amount to donate you would be better off asking for a $15.00 'membership fee' which would entail you posting privileges.

I make a motion that we let Denise post all she wants provided she comes up with her membership fee of $500.00.

Phobia
05-05-2005, 12:37 PM
I understand what you are saying because I've read your posts for years....my concern was that your message was getting muddied by the making of unnecessary value judgements that defeat the legitimate purpose of what you are trying to do. Asking for money and pointing out the value of the site without placing a judgement (even by suggestion) on how people should view it is likely the best way to go.

I'm trying to tread very lightly with all this. It's kinda difficult for me because I'm used to being very frank. It's also embarrassing for me because I feel like a frick'n vagrant with his hand out.

If I failed to cover all the angles for the sensitive ones, I'm sorry. I'm not trying to get over or hoodwink you out of your money. I'm not trying to play the guilt card. But I am asking that individuals really consider the entertainment value of ChiefsPlanet before routinely sending $10. If you spend more than a couple hours per week here and you've gained valuable information, then send some more. This place is a valuable resource for stuff other than just Chiefs information. I'm getting ready to save myself hundreds of dollars on the purchase of a truck through relationships I've built on ChiefsPlanet and advice derived from here. I know people who get tickets at face value or even sometimes free due to this site. I know a guy who is living rent free because of ChiefsPlanet. I know a guy who had his home cleaned and put meals on the table while his terminally ill wife is unable to do those things. I know people who have found employment on or because of ChiefsPlanet. I know dozens of children who know how to swim because of ChiefsPlanet. I know deployed soldiers who have gotten comfort from ChiefsPlanet. I know there are a thousand other things I've forgotten or never knew which have been positively influenced by this community.

How do you put a pricetag on that?

Rain Man
05-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Man, all these people are getting good stuff? I haven't been given squat. What's up with that?

Just checking in with you on our discussion, phobia. I figured you were checking with austinchief, but I haven't heard back. Do we have a deal, or would you like me to just send a normal donation and bug off?

Phobia
05-05-2005, 01:10 PM
Man, all these people are getting good stuff? I haven't been given squat. What's up with that?

Just checking in with you on our discussion, phobia. I figured you were checking with austinchief, but I haven't heard back. Do we have a deal, or would you like me to just send a normal donation and bug off?

Really? I surely responded to you. I said it's a go. We're on. I don't have to check with him on that kind of thing any longer. Heh.

Mr. Kotter
05-05-2005, 01:25 PM
I make a motion that we let Denise post all she wants provided she comes up with her membership fee of $500.00.

As long as she and her posts are confined to the DC forum, I'd second that motion.

Rain Man
05-05-2005, 01:25 PM
Really? I surely responded to you. I said it's a go. We're on. I don't have to check with him on that kind of thing any longer. Heh.

Cool. End run. I'll send along my check shortly.

memyselfI
05-05-2005, 02:35 PM
I'm trying to tread very lightly with all this. It's kinda difficult for me because I'm used to being very frank. It's also embarrassing for me because I feel like a frick'n vagrant with his hand out.

If I failed to cover all the angles for the sensitive ones, I'm sorry. I'm not trying to get over or hoodwink you out of your money. I'm not trying to play the guilt card. But I am asking that individuals really consider the entertainment value of ChiefsPlanet before routinely sending $10. If you spend more than a couple hours per week here and you've gained valuable information, then send some more. This place is a valuable resource for stuff other than just Chiefs information. I'm getting ready to save myself hundreds of dollars on the purchase of a truck through relationships I've built on ChiefsPlanet and advice derived from here. I know people who get tickets at face value or even sometimes free due to this site. I know a guy who is living rent free because of ChiefsPlanet. I know a guy who had his home cleaned and put meals on the table while his terminally ill wife is unable to do those things. I know people who have found employment on or because of ChiefsPlanet. I know dozens of children who know how to swim because of ChiefsPlanet. I know deployed soldiers who have gotten comfort from ChiefsPlanet. I know there are a thousand other things I've forgotten or never knew which have been positively influenced by this community.

How do you put a pricetag on that?

Agreed. I know you cannot put a pricetag on what you describe which is why I suggested not doing it. If some people are not smart enough to figure out the worth of the Planet to themselves and then act on it to the best of their ability then throwing figures around isn't going to inspire or motivate them.

Frankly, if you had put the sell you just pitched in your initial post, and saved the comparison of 'entertainment value', I think your outcome would have been through the roof...

Logical
05-05-2005, 08:44 PM
As long as she and her posts are confined to the DC forum, I'd second that motion.

Hell I might just pay it for her to piss you all off.ROFL

ENDelt260
05-05-2005, 08:48 PM
Good Lord. No thread is safe.

Boozer
05-05-2005, 09:01 PM

http://www.eonline.com/On/Snl/VideoGallery/Images/snl_landshark.jpg ?

Phobia
05-05-2005, 09:06 PM

The real reason we need your money is to protect future planeteers from the vile trolls.

the Talking Can
05-05-2005, 09:40 PM
Agreed. I know you cannot put a pricetag on what you describe which is why I suggested not doing it. If some people are not smart enough to figure out the worth of the Planet to themselves and then act on it to the best of their ability then throwing figures around isn't going to inspire or motivate them.

Frankly, if you had put the sell you just pitched in your initial post, and saved the comparison of 'entertainment value', I think your outcome would have been through the roof...

you are a ****ing piece of work....

Iowanian
05-05-2005, 11:07 PM
I've got a fund raiser.........Exactly how much would it cost to remove Dense from Chiefsplanet?

Phobia
05-05-2005, 11:11 PM
I think $20k would probably get it done.

I have a feeling she's not going approve of my fundraising methods in the morning.

Iowanian
05-05-2005, 11:12 PM
I can't do that, but if it would drop a house on that witch, I'd make sure to help pull those rubby Raiderfan shoes off.

Btw....the banner thing we discussed is a go.

Mr. Kotter
05-05-2005, 11:13 PM

I have a feeling she's not going approve of my fundraising methods in the morning.

THAT'S throwin' down the gaunlet....hell, Jamie may write the check himself. ROFL

Michael Michigan
05-05-2005, 11:19 PM

No sh!t.

:shake:

Frazod
05-05-2005, 11:21 PM

Will my donation count towards that?

Phobia
05-05-2005, 11:24 PM
Will my donation count towards that?

Only if we find the other $19,998 elsewhere, cheapskate. ;)

Frazod
05-05-2005, 11:27 PM
Only if we find the other $19,998 elsewhere, cheapskate. ;)

nlm

Logical
05-06-2005, 02:34 AM
THAT'S throwin' down the gaunlet....hell, Jamie may write the check himself. ROFL

Actually it is probably Rausch who is selling his bodily organs as we speak.

Mile High Mania
05-06-2005, 10:34 AM
I've got a fund raiser.........Exactly how much would it cost to remove Dense from Chiefsplanet?

Interesting thought... there's roughly 7 pages of what I would term "active members" (30 per page). That gives us 210 potential members that frequent this board a few times every 24-48 hours, so they might be willing to pony up for the "Give Denise the Boot Challenge".

Now, she falls into that group... so we have 209 for this experiment, not including any stragglers that contribute. Ask for $10 from each and you're staring at a "pot" of $2,090.

Split the pot 50/50 towards the 37Forever foundation and the support for the site. It's a good cause.

Maybe state "if the pot reaches $2,000 - then Densie will stay away until Week 1 of the 2005 season". But, "if the pot reaches $5,000 she stays away forever".

I think this has fantabulous potential!

Mr. Kotter
05-06-2005, 11:01 AM

If they got together, that would only be $10K each.....heh. ROFL

memyselfI
05-06-2005, 01:47 PM

Nah, he misplaced his man-gina years ago. ;) :p

Frazod
05-06-2005, 03:21 PM

Too bad his liver's shot. :D

ENDelt260
05-06-2005, 03:24 PM
Too bad his liver's shot. :D
Might still be an upgrade from mine.

Hey Rausch, how much for your "gently used" liver?

Frazod
05-06-2005, 03:26 PM
Might still be an upgrade from mine.

A bullet-riddled spaghetti strainer would be an upgrade over yours. ROFL

ENDelt260
05-06-2005, 03:30 PM
A bullet-riddled spaghetti strainer would be an upgrade over yours. ROFL
Heck, that's probably even cheaper than Rausch's liver.

chiefz
05-06-2005, 10:06 PM
Changing the ad at the top to a leaderboard might help Phobia.

Phobia
05-06-2005, 10:24 PM
Changing the ad at the top to a leaderboard might help Phobia.

I've had multiple beers at this juncture (truthfully only one Chimay Grande Reserve) so you you may need to draw me a map.... with crayons.

Fire Me Boy!
05-07-2005, 01:34 AM
How much are you thinking about membership fees? I'm not looking for a hard and fast quote, just wanting a vague idea...

Phobia
05-07-2005, 08:45 AM
How much are you thinking about membership fees? I'm not looking for a hard and fast quote, just wanting a vague idea...

$5-8 per month depending on the value we're able to add. Less for students, Seniors, military, and clergy.

go bowe
05-07-2005, 11:59 AM
$5-8 per month depending on the value we're able to add. Less for students, Seniors, military, and clergy.how old do you have to be to be a "senior"?

is there anybody older than skip?

(yes, i know there are a few...)

Phobia
05-07-2005, 12:16 PM
how old do you have to be to be a "senior"?

is there anybody older than skip?

(yes, i know there are a few...)

I dunno. What's the generally accepted age in society - 65?

go bowe
05-08-2005, 01:17 PM
I dunno. What's the generally accepted age in society - 65?at ihop, it's 55...

for aarp, it's 50...

for 4th and long, it's 40...

4th and Long
05-08-2005, 02:49 PM
at ihop, it's 55...

for aarp, it's 50...

for 4th and long, it's 40...
Sounds good to me!

go bowe
05-08-2005, 06:17 PM
tee hee...

how much are you selling those sr. discount cards for? :D :D :D

4th and Long
05-08-2005, 06:24 PM
tee hee...

how much are you selling those sr. discount cards for? :D :D :D
For the low, low cost of my yearly membership, this can be yours!
:D :D :D

chiefz
05-09-2005, 12:29 PM
I've had multiple beers at this juncture (truthfully only one Chimay Grande Reserve) so you you may need to draw me a map.... with crayons.

The google ad up at the top right.

Its a 468 X 60 banner, you could change it to a 728 X 90 leaderboard.

Generally they pay more per click, google also recently added a pay per impression option to their customers so some ads can pay when they appear.

A 728 X 90 will display 4 targeted text ads while a 468 X 60 will only display 2.

You can change it pretty easy.

Find the google ad code in your header and change these lines.

google_ad_width = 468;
google_ad_height = 60;
google_ad_format = "468x60_as";

To this:

google_ad_width = 728;
google_ad_height = 90;
google_ad_format = "728x90_as";

None of the colors or anything will be changed, just the size of the ad.

Iowanian
05-11-2005, 01:07 PM
If we throw in a decent amount now....will be still be asked to pay a membership this year?

Phobia
05-11-2005, 03:23 PM
If we throw in a decent amount now....will be still be asked to pay a membership this year?

Good question. Yes. $100+ contributors will have their membership automatically extended through the end of the year. If your membership isn't already setup (when that time comes), please contact me. You slipped through the cracks because your board name wasn't included with payment.

Iowanian
05-11-2005, 03:43 PM
Now you tell me.

Step right up...3 balls for a dollah....sink the heckler. Oh sorry...the leeever is too rusty to drop him.

Buy one get one free on the Tilta whirl...you must be this tall to ride...sorry kid...No refunds.

Watch the card, watch the card, pick the Q, pick the Q, only $10...pick the queen, find the bean....

I've seen this game before.

Rausch
05-12-2005, 01:31 AM

So, you know my lawyer...

philfree
05-12-2005, 11:52 PM
Good question. Yes. $100+ contributors will have their membership automatically extended through the end of the year. If your membership isn't already setup (when that time comes), please contact me. You slipped through the cracks because your board name wasn't included with payment.

Cool :clap: I want a tailgate party thrown in my honor though. Yeah I know if I posted an " I'm Leaving The Board" thread I prolly wouldn't even get a "don't let the screen door in you in the ass" but hey the party would be for me so........

grandllama
05-13-2005, 03:25 AM
...the ones who can't spare $10 while they blow through 2 packs a day.

It's three packs a day bitch...:cuss:

BTW, now that I'm not homeless anymore and actually booked a $3500 gig today, something will be coming in the mail shortly...

~~LLama

ENDelt260
05-13-2005, 03:39 AM
Sheezus, you don't really smoke three packs a day, do you? I don't think I could breathe if I smoked that much.

Course... on second thought... I used to smoke a lot of pot every day... maybe my lungs can withstand more than I realize.

grandllama
05-13-2005, 03:47 AM
Sheezus, you don't really smoke three packs a day, do you? I don't think I could breathe if I smoked that much.

Course... on second thought... I used to smoke a lot of pot every day... maybe my lungs can withstand more than I realize.

Actually I'm down to two and have it planned to be smoke free by my 36th birthday...(15 days and counting)

I figure I started smoking to rebel... ****, I've turned into what I was rebelling against... no reason to keep smoking...

BIG_DADDY
05-13-2005, 09:56 PM
It's three packs a day bitch...:cuss:

~~LLama

That's crazy like a death wish. Good luck with quitting.

HemiEd
05-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Actually I'm down to two and have it planned to be smoke free by my 36th birthday...(15 days and counting)

I figure I started smoking to rebel... ****, I've turned into what I was rebelling against... no reason to keep smoking...

Good luck with it, I am contemplating quitting as well. :hmmm:

BigRedChief
05-16-2005, 09:16 PM
Good luck with it, I am contemplating quitting as well. :hmmm:

As a former Registered Respiratory Therapist and a refomed smoker of 13 years if you need any help, tips, tricks to help you beat the cancer sticks just let me know.

Phobia
05-16-2005, 11:07 PM
As a former Registered Respiratory Therapist and a refomed smoker of 13 years if you need any help, tips, tricks to help you beat the cancer sticks just let me know.

The only trick is just quitting.