Michael Michigan
04-24-2005, 12:02 PM
Position: Middle Linebacker
College: Illinois State
Height: 6-0
Weight: 242
Hometown: Canton, Ill.

OVERVIEW

James "Boomer" Grigsby was an all-area selection as a senior at Canton (Ill.) High, recording 120 tackles (80 solo) with five sacks and 10 stops for loss. He led his team to a 10-2 record and a spot in the Class 4A playoffs. The honor roll student also excelled in gymnastics, winning the USTA trampoline and double mini championship as a member of the AAU national team. He also was a three-time All-American trampoline award champion.

The son of Paula and David Grigsby, he was born James Grigsby but was nicknamed Boomer by his grandmother on the date of his birth (Nov. 15, 1981). Grigsby is an avid weightlifter who takes great pride in his work ethic. He has become a "hometown" hero as the city of Canton, Ill., is supportive and many residents travel to watch him play in his home games.

Grigsby redshirted in 2000 at Illinois State, but set a school freshman record the following year as he posted 93 tackles (52 solo) with three sacks and five stops behind the line of scrimmage. He earned Gateway Conference Defensive Player of the Year honors and was a consensus All-America pick in 2002, registering 179 tackles (108 solo) with four sacks, 16 stops for loss, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries. Only Galen Scott (186 in 1998) recorded more tackles in a season at ISU.

He finished second in the voting for the Buck Buchanan Award (given to the top defensive player in the Division 1-AA ranks), was a unanimous All-America choice and picked up Gateway Defensive Player of the Year honors in 2003. He again totaled 179 tackles (109 solo) with three sacks and 12 stops behind the line of scrimmage, leading the Gateway in tackles for the second straight year.

Grigsby again garnered All-America and Gateway Player of the Year accolades as a senior despite missing the season finale with a knee injury. He finished third in the Buck Buchanan Award voting, finishing his senior year with 129 tackles (56 solo), three sacks, 8 stops behind the line of scrimmage and two forced fumbles.

In 44 games as a Redbird, Grigsby started 40 times. He recorded 580 tackles (325 solo), breaking the conference and school career record of 579 set by Galen Scott (1997-2000). He also had 13 sacks for minus-77 yards and 41 stops for losses of 132 yards. Only Scott (43) and John Kropke (54, 1984-87) had more tackles behind the line of scrimmage in school history. His six fumble recoveries tied the ISU record of six, set by several players (most recently by Jerry Creer, 1993-96). He also caused five fumbles and deflected seven passes.

ANALYSIS

Grigsby is a bit undersized and will have to operate in a 4-3 defense in the pros, or possibly move to weak-side linebacker to take advantage of his foot speed. Grigsby would be best served operating in a system that will cover him up and let him roam free. He is a much better performer making plays on the move, as he does not always use his hands effectively to prevent blockers from getting into his exposed chest and stonewalling him on the play. He lacks natural hands for the interception, and while he will make the effort, his small hands make him fight to secure the ball.

Blessed with exceptional quickness, for some reason this avid weightlifter's strength does not always translate to the football field. He has the speed to string plays wide, but when asked to face up he struggles to shed. He just seems to lack the size with bulk to hold up at the point of attack at times. He has very good lateral agility and reads the full flow of the ball well. He is very instinctive making reads and is alert to blocking schemes.

He has a great closing burst and good range vs. the run. Grigsby also does a good job of avoiding blocks on the move, which allows him to angle and take the shorter route to the ball carrier.

On the run, he is capable of taking proper angles to the ball and using his speed to slip through trash and make tackles in the backfield. He is more of an arm tackler, leading to a lot of missed hits as the bigger runners are able to slip off his shots. Grigsby is a powerful tackler but needs to improve his hand usage in order to gain good leverage. He seems to run around blocks too often, and while he has good lateral agility, looks a little stiff in his hips when having to redirect.

Against the inside run, his weight-room strength does not translate to the field. He has trouble shedding at times and can get pushed around working inside the box. He is a good wrap-up tackler who can generate pop, but sometimes looks soft taking on the lead block and needs to bring his feet and explode into the ball carrier better. He is more of a move-oriented tackler, as he does not make many tackles head-on, but can wrap and drag the opponent down.

His pass-coverage skills, especially in one-on-one situations, are lacking. He seems to be late reacting to the receiver's moves and lacks the size to reroute tight ends. He needs to get better hand placement in pass protection and must do a better hob of getting to the drop point when playing in the zone.

As a pass rusher, he lacks any type of moves to be consistent here. He fails to avoid blockers on the inside blitz, but shows suddenness when coming off the edge and having a clear lane. His strength in the weight room could be better featured if only he'd face up more on tackles. He has marginal pass-drop agility and is prone to reading fakes and biting on play-action in pass coverage. He needs to learn better zone coverage responsibilities, as Grigsby is not always in the right spot in his pass drop.

Grigsby has good athletic ability and can contribute on the next level, but it's doubtful if he will ever come close to matching his collegiate statistics. Some teams might be considering him as a strong safety, as they feel he has reached maximum size growth potential. But with his pass coverage difficulties, it would be tough to make a position change at this time.

INJURY REPORT

2004: Sat out the season finale vs. Florida Atlantic after undergoing surgery on Nov. 17 to repair a torn lateral meniscus in his left knee.

AGILITY

4.55 in the 40-yard dash 400-pound bench press 600-pound squat 335-pound power clean 36-inch vertical jump 30-inch arm length 9-inch hands Right-handed .

HIGH SCHOOL

Attended Canton (Ill.) High, playing football for coach Steve Graves All-area as a senior when Canton was 10-2 with a spot in Class 4A's elite eight Recorded 120 tackles as a senior with 80 solo, 10 stops for lossand five sacks His interception sealed a playoff win over top-seeded Rochelle Honor roll student Was the USTA trampoline and double mini champion and a member of the AAU national team. Three-time AAU All-America trampoline award winner.

PERSONAL

Business administration major Nicknamed Boomer by his grandmother on the date of his birth (real name is James) Son of David and Paula Grigsby Born Nov. 15, 1981, in Canton, Ill.

ChiefsCountry
04-24-2005, 12:03 PM
I saw him play against SMS. He is a stud. Good pick by the Chiefs.

KCChiefsFan88
04-24-2005, 12:04 PM
I like this pick. He is very fast and has strength to match.

The Sporting News projected him as a 4th round pick and compares him to James Farrior in Pittsburgh.

He'll be a good special teams player and provide needed depth at LB

shaneo69
04-24-2005, 12:06 PM
THIS IS AWESOME. Boomer is from my alma mater, ISU baby!! Go Redbirds!!

He is a stud in the middle but unfortunately will knock Scanlon and Kawika off the roster.

Bwana
04-24-2005, 12:06 PM
Gee, what does this mean for Rich Scanlon?

Rudy lost the toss
04-24-2005, 12:07 PM
Good-bye Scanlon :p

RINGLEADER
CNNSI had him as a mid-fifth round so it doesn't look like we reached for the guy or anything. I like that we're still pushing for talent at the LB position.

Rausch
Good, someone to either push Kawika or push him out of the way...

Woodrow Call
Sporting News ranks him "Best in Pursuit"
6-0 252 4.5 40

"Good size and strength. Has good top-end speed. Moves well laterally and forward. Good instincts and makes quick reads. Has excellent closing burst and is a powerfull tackler with good pop at the point of attack. Is a good blitzer."

Gunther will love him. Upgrade at the Biesel role.

eazyb81
04-24-2005, 12:08 PM
I can't believe the Chiefs passed on CJ Mosley or Antaaj Hawthorne to draft a backup MLB named Boomer Grigsby.

CP just ruined the perfect draft, oh well.....it was bound to happen sometime.

Rudy lost the toss
04-24-2005, 12:10 PM
THIS IS AWESOME. Boomer is from my alma mater, ISU baby!! Go Redbirds!!

He is a stud in the middle but unfortunately will knock Scanlon and Kawika off the roster.
No way Kawika will be left off the roster. He provides quality depth and valuable starting experience at MLB which is a need since Bell has injury concerns.

Michael Michigan
04-24-2005, 12:13 PM
Just a blurb...

http://www.pantagraph.com/stories/042305/spo_20050423038.shtml

Don't look for 'Boomer' on television scroll list

By Randy Reinhardt
rreinhardt@pantagraph.com

NORMAL -- Planning on watching ESPN's coverage of the NFL Draft?

Don't waste your time waiting for Boomer Grigsby's name to pop up as the latest player selected.

Preferring a player's given name to a nickname -- no matter how widely used -- the NFL knows the former Illinois State linebacker as James Grigsby and not Boomer.

James "Boomer" Grigsby will be in his hometown of Canton today and Sunday, awaiting word from his new team.

"I probably won't watch it hardly at all. I'll be home and wait till the phone rings," he said. "It would be nerve wracking because as a competitive person there will be a few guys picked before me that I know I will be more productive than."

Grigsby has spoken the most to Kansas City, Carolina and Atlanta, but would not be surprised to be drafted by a team he has heard little or nothing from.

"It's all about one team falling in love with you," he said.

Rausch
04-24-2005, 12:16 PM
I love the pick. Bell has had injury problems, Kawika is by no means "solid" as a starter, and this gives us real depth at the position instead of career special teams/Practice squad guys.

Woodrow Call
04-24-2005, 12:17 PM
580 career tackles. :)

RINGLEADER
04-24-2005, 12:18 PM
I love the pick. Bell has had injury problems, Kawika is by no means "solid" as a starter, and this gives us real depth at the position instead of career special teams/Practice squad guys.

Yep. This pick is all about depth and ST.

Skip Towne
04-24-2005, 12:19 PM
No way Kawika will be left off the roster. He provides quality depth and valuable starting experience at MLB which is a need since Bell has injury concerns.
Yeah, but he isn't worth a f*ck.

royr17
04-24-2005, 12:19 PM
Good-bye Scanlon :p

He will not beat out Rich. The guy lacks what Rich has, and has alot of things that need work, he will be practice squad and will go to NFL Europe. This guy gets picked up on blocks easily, undersized, lacks in pass coverage, and is not very good at rushing the passer.

This is very bad pick when you consider you have a player like DT Antattaj Hawthorne sitll on the board.

keg in kc
04-24-2005, 12:20 PM
:LOL:

shaneo69
04-24-2005, 12:21 PM
This is very bad pick when you consider you have a player like DT Antattaj Hawthorne sitll on the board.

I think Anttaj is getting high right now.

royr17
04-24-2005, 12:22 PM
This was a wasted pick by all means unless they are plannin to move this guy to outside linebacker.

Rausch
04-24-2005, 12:22 PM
He will not beat out Rich. The guy lacks what Rich has, and has alot of things that need work, he will be practice squad and will go to NFL Europe. This guy gets picked up on blocks easily, undersized, lacks in pass coverage, and is not very good at rushing the passer.

What you just wrote is 100% the opposite of the guy we just drafted. He's got good speed and is a good pass rusher...

shaneo69
04-24-2005, 12:24 PM
This was a wasted pick by all means unless they are plannin to move this guy to outside linebacker.

He's not an OLB. He's a MLB tackling machine.

royr17
04-24-2005, 12:26 PM
What you just wrote is 100% the opposite of the guy we just drafted. He's got good speed and is a good pass rusher...

According not to NFL.com.

By the wya we just drafted a corneback named Alfonzo Hodge from Miami, OH.

Sure-Oz
04-24-2005, 12:27 PM
Great for depth, this has been a solid draft atleast on paper so far.

jettio
04-24-2005, 12:32 PM
Boomer went to an agricultural school, Illinois State, where he demonstrated good therapeutic response and tolerance to veterinary products.

Could be the next Larry Izzo, load him up with horse tranquilizers and he can be very effective in kick coverage.

htismaqe
04-24-2005, 12:32 PM
Roy is just upset because this could mean the end for his best friend...

Woodrow Call
04-24-2005, 12:34 PM
"I might not be the best player on the field but I will be the crazy ass country white boy running down the field on kickoff coverage"

This from an interview that kcmightymike had with him. I know the site is shady at best but I loved this line.

Ultra Peanut
04-24-2005, 12:37 PM
Roy is just upset because this could mean the end for his best friend...Yeah. Looks like his dad and his dad's "roommate" are going to have to live within their means now that the NFL teet is clearly slipping away from them.

Just a blurb...

http://www.pantagraph.com/stories/042305/spo_20050423038.shtml

Don't look for 'Boomer' on television scroll list

By Randy Reinhardt
rreinhardt@pantagraph.com

NORMAL -- Planning on watching ESPN's coverage of the NFL Draft?

Don't waste your time waiting for Boomer Grigsby's name to pop up as the latest player selected.

Preferring a player's given name to a nickname -- no matter how widely used -- the NFL knows the former Illinois State linebacker as James Grigsby and not Boomer.

James "Boomer" Grigsby will be in his hometown of Canton today and Sunday, awaiting word from his new team.

"I probably won't watch it hardly at all. I'll be home and wait till the phone rings," he said. "It would be nerve wracking because as a competitive person there will be a few guys picked before me that I know I will be more productive than."

Grigsby has spoken the most to Kansas City, Carolina and Atlanta, but would not be surprised to be drafted by a team he has heard little or nothing from.

"It's all about one team falling in love with you," he said.Heh. Guess this article forced ESPN to throw in "Boomer" after all. ROFL

Ultra Peanut
04-24-2005, 12:37 PM
"I might not be the best player on the field but I will be the crazy ass country white boy running down the field on kickoff coverage"

This from an interview that kcmightymike had with him. I know the site is shady at best but I loved this line.Jared Allen Jr.

royr17
04-24-2005, 12:39 PM
Roy is just upset because this could mean the end for his best friend...

Not that, I want whats best for this team, but this guy was not the guy to pick. He is not as good as alot think. Only reason yall are impressed is cause of his speed.

But seriously, this guy will not make the team. At that pick we should've went offensive line or a quarterback.

Rausch
04-24-2005, 12:39 PM

This from an interview that kcmightymike had with him. I know the site is shady at best but I loved this line.

So he's Maz with speed....nice....I likey....

Tribal Warfare
04-24-2005, 12:42 PM
I'm glad KC picked up this guy because we need as help at LB depth as possible

ROYC75
04-24-2005, 12:46 PM
As for me, IMHO it was a wasted pick with the LB's we have now. CP wants Maz back but IMHO he is done, we'll see. Barber is a question mark. Mitchell is probally moving to the OLB position. Caver and Rich will vie for the 7th spot if they keep 7 LB's

The fact that we have an aging OL makes this pick all the more disturbing.

Ultra Peanut
04-24-2005, 12:59 PM
As for me, IMHO it was a wasted pick with the LB's we have now. That's just dumb.

Bwana
04-24-2005, 01:05 PM
As for me, IMHO it was a wasted pick with the LB's we have now. CP wants Maz back but IMHO he is done, we'll see. Barber is a question mark. Mitchell is probally moving to the OLB position. Caver and Rich will vie for the 7th spot if they keep 7 LB's

The fact that we have an aging OL makes this pick all the more disturbing.

Come on Roy. At least let the kid go through training camp before you stick a fork in him.

From what I have read, I think he has a real shot.

htismaqe
04-24-2005, 01:06 PM
Not that, I want whats best for this team, but this guy was not the guy to pick. He is not as good as alot think. Only reason yall are impressed is cause of his speed.

But seriously, this guy will not make the team. At that pick we should've went offensive line or a quarterback.

You act as if you had heard of this guy prior to the draft. We all know better.

philfree
04-24-2005, 01:20 PM
Looks like we got a replacement to Scanlon to me.

PhilFree:arrow:

philfree
04-24-2005, 01:26 PM

I'd read about him and I don't think it's a bad pick. Same for Hodge.

PhilFree:arrow:

royr17
04-24-2005, 01:26 PM

I have.

But as of reading the report on him from NFL.com im not impresses with him. According to that he has alot to work on.

Woodrow Call
04-24-2005, 01:28 PM
I have.

But as of reading the report on him from NFL.com im not impresses with him. According to that he has alot to work on.

What did Scanlon's report say?

I am guessing "Greatest LB of All-Time, perfect in every way."

keg in kc
04-24-2005, 01:31 PM
What did Scanlon's report say?"I just looked up some old files from last year's draft. Found this:Rich Scanlon prospect profile:

Who?

eazyb81
04-24-2005, 01:32 PM

SHHHH......you'll blow his cover.

:)

htismaqe
04-24-2005, 01:41 PM
What did Scanlon's report say?

I am guessing "Greatest LB of All-Time, perfect in every way."

I'm sure that's EXACTLY what it said.