PDA

View Full Version : Kansas city Chiefs select: 6th round, 25(199)pick, DE Khari Long

Mr. Laz
04-24-2005, 01:53 PM
Khari Long

Official Bio College: Baylor Height: 6-35/8
Position: Defensive End Weight: 257
Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.70
SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: A great athlete with excellent quickness...Has a tall, lanky frame with long arms...Shows good pass rush potential...Would seem to have the tools to move to linebacker if need be
Weaknesses: Lacks the size you look for and need to bulk up to play along the defensive line in the pros...Has to hit the weight room and get stronger...Has some durability concerns...May have to move to outside linebacker.

Notes: Has the type of athletic ability you look for but may be a DE / OLB 'tweener who is limited to a 3-4 defensive scheme...Will likely get a shot due to his physical tools and athleticism.

Mr. Laz
04-24-2005, 01:54 PM
Khari Long Grade: 3.14
Position: DE
Class: Sr
School: Baylor
Conference: Big 12
Ht., Wt.: 6-3.5, 257
40 Time: 4.74
Selected by: Kansas City Chiefs
Round 6, pick 25 (199 overall) Grading System

BIO: Two-year starter who also saw action with the first unit as a sophomore. Posted 58/8/2 as a senior.

POSITIVES: Collegiate defensive end who projects to rush linebacker at the next level. Fluid athlete who makes plays up and down the line of scrimmage, can change direction or immediately alter his angle of attack. Pursues from the backside with speed, breaks down well and rarely off his feet. Immediately locates the ball or action, tenacious, and plays very hard working to make the tackle. Possesses good first-step quickness, displays a large degree of suddenness to his game, as well as lateral speed. Effectively uses hand technique to stay off blocks and wraps up tackling.

NEGATIVES: Undersized coming out of a three-point stance and driven off the line or controlled at the point by a single blocker. Marginally productive on the college level.

ANALYSIS: A prospect with solid size/speed numbers, Long is a high-motor defender who keeps coming. Plagued with nagging injuries in the past, he would be best in a 34 defense where he can stand up over tackle and not take the punishment of a down lineman.

PROJECTION: Undrafted Free Agent

Skip Towne
04-24-2005, 01:56 PM
A draft pick from Baylor. How unique!

eazyb81
04-24-2005, 01:57 PM
Yay, the next Gary Stills.....UGH.

I wish we would have drafted Tyler King instead at DE...

Oh well, we know the bad drafting would come sooner or later.

DaKCMan AP
04-24-2005, 01:58 PM
CHIEFS SELECT DE KHARI LONG WITH 2nd 6th ROUND PICK
Apr 24, 2005, 2:38:35 PM

DEFENSIVE ENDlong
BAYLOR 6-3 257
Wichita Falls, Texas

The fifth-year senior had a breakout season in 2004, establishing himself as a fine edge rusher with the ability to flush the quarterback out of the pocket. While excelling on the field, he also performed well in the classroom, graduating in August 2004 with a degree in Communications. His tall, lanky frame, long arms, large hands and excellent foot speed could see him shift to linebacker at the pro level.

Long was slowed by a nagging ankle sprain his senior year at Rider High School. He collected 122 tackles and seven sacks as a junior while also leading the Raiders in quarterback hurries. He ranked among the state’s top defensive linemen by Texas Football magazine, was named to the school’s honor roll and received a U.S. Achievement Academy National Award. Long also lettered in basketball.

Long redshirted in 2000 at Baylor and played in seven games as a reserve the following year, coming up with 15 tackles and a 4-yard sack. Long played in 11 games, earning four starts at weakside defensive end in 2002. He sat out the Texas clash after suffering a head injury vs. Texas Tech, but still made 41 tackles (24 solos) with 4˝ sacks and seven stops behind the line of scrimmage. A knee injury in the first minute of the 2003 Southern Methodist game would keep Long out of the Colorado and Sam Houston State games. He ended up starting eight games as a junior, finishing with 31 tackles (21 solos) and 1˝ sacks.

Healthy for an entire season, Long produced a career-high 58 tackles (36 solos) with two sacks and eight stops for losses in 2004. He finished his career with 145 tackles (88 solos), nine sacks for minus-50 yards, 19˝ stops for losses of 63 yards and 14 quarterback pressures in 39 games. He started 22 of those contests, adding two forced fumbles and four pass deflections.

siberian khatru
04-24-2005, 01:58 PM
This is the first pick of ours that I don't understand. A 3-4 guy who wasn't productive in college?

DaKCMan AP
04-24-2005, 01:59 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/images/9656511780B74282AAC64446517CA3F2.JPG?0.7010554403635265

Ultra Peanut
04-24-2005, 02:00 PM
This is the first pick of ours that I don't understand. A 3-4 guy who wasn't productive in college?Agreed.

crossbow
04-24-2005, 02:01 PM
special teams.

eazyb81
04-24-2005, 02:02 PM
Did we just reach into a hat and draw out this kid's name? Jesus Carl, now you're just trying to piss us off.

siberian khatru
04-24-2005, 02:02 PM
Agreed.

You want to start the "F*CK YOU CARL! F*CK YOU!" thread or should I?

Michael Michigan
04-24-2005, 02:03 PM
This is the first pick of ours that I don't understand. A 3-4 guy who wasn't productive in college?

Maybe everyone left the room except for Carl?

Tribal Warfare
04-24-2005, 02:05 PM
The new Gary Stills!

DaKCMan AP
04-24-2005, 02:06 PM
at least this year we didn't have a "wtf?" pick until the middle of the 6th round.

Ultra Peanut
04-24-2005, 02:07 PM
You want to start the "F*CK YOU CARL! F*CK YOU!" thread or should I?I'll handle this.

ChiefsCountry
04-24-2005, 02:09 PM
Roy wants to cut Boomer, yet says nothing about this guy who will get cut.

Mr. Laz
04-24-2005, 02:41 PM
at least this year we didn't have a "wtf?" pick until the middle of the 6th round.
since vermeil arrives i believe we draft some guys strictly for special teams.

they have no intention of playing him at a position

i disagree with the practice... but i think this Long guy is just that.

whoman69
04-24-2005, 02:49 PM
Tweener, nuff said.

Ninjaman
04-24-2005, 03:01 PM
TUCK.........BUT HE WENT 4TH ROUND.

Alphaman
04-24-2005, 03:08 PM
OVERVIEW
The fifth-year senior had a breakout season in 2004, establishing himself as a fine edge rusher with the ability to flush the quarterback out of the pocket. While excelling on the field, he also performed well in the classroom, graduating in August 2004 with a degree in Communications. His tall, lanky frame, long arms, large hands and excellent foot speed could see him shift to linebacker at the pro level.

ANALYSIS
Positives: Tall, rangy defender with very long arms, large hands, good bubble, muscular upper body and a frame that can carry additional weight, but might be better served playing linebacker due to his above-average quickness … Shows excellent lateral agility and generates good explosion off the ball with the ability to close the gap and make plays in the backfield … Has the speed and agility to chase from the backside … Strong enough to shed and hold the point … Solid wrap-up tackler who stays low in his pads, extends his arms and drives hard with his legs to hit ball carriers with a thud … Best when given a free lane into the backfield, where he can utilize his speed to flush out the quarterback … Has very good natural power and the ability to break down in space … Shows a smooth stride when dropping back in pass coverage and has the range to make opposite field tackles.

Negatives: Has not developed as a pass rusher, lacking effective swim and rip moves to get over a blockers shoulder when working in-line … Relies more on his quickness and pure speed to penetrate the line of scrimmage … When he slides down to play defensive tackle, he lacks the "sand in his pants" to maintain position and also is susceptible to leg blocks, as he does not use his hands effectively to avoid … Needs to do a better job of using his hands to separate and control … Looks better coming off the edge than when operating near the pille, as he can be sealed and yanked to the ground.

I think he translates to an OLB and could develop into a decent one.