PDA

View Full Version : GOLFERS: What's in your bag?

Herzig
04-24-2005, 06:56 PM
I am an admitted "club slut". I'm always buying, selling, and trading equipment. Naptown is the only one here that I know of that is as bad or worse than I am about this addiction. Just curious what's in your bag...

Ping G5 Driver 9* TFC Stiff shaft
Ping Rapture 5 Wood 17* TFC Stiff shaft
Ping G5 Hybrids 19* & 22* TFC Stiff shaft
Ping i5 Irons 4-PW ZZ65
Cleveland 588 50* Gap
Cleveland 588 56* Sand Wedge
Oydessey 34" Two Ball Putter tour filled and trilined

Ultra Peanut
04-24-2005, 07:01 PM
I have a ferret in my bag.

Ultra Peanut
04-24-2005, 07:02 PM
That's a euphemism.

WilliamTheIrish
04-24-2005, 07:03 PM
JFC!!

16 year old Cleveland Launcher.
Orlimar 3w.
Some pot metal 5w.

Integra irons.

Some old putter.

Pales in comparison, but so does my game (I'm certain)

Skip Towne
04-24-2005, 07:04 PM
That's a euphemism.
Did a squirrel eat your brains?

Phobia
I used to be that bad, but my bag has been stagnent for a couple years.

Whatever I listed last time is what I still have.

Titleist 962 Irons 2-PW
Titleist BeCu SW/AW/LW
Steelhead 3 Wood
Titleist 975J Driver

WhiteHot putter

Ultra Peanut
Did a squirrel eat your brains?ROFL

4th and Long
04-24-2005, 07:05 PM
My balls?

WilliamTheIrish
04-24-2005, 07:05 PM
I used to be that bad, but my bag has been stagnent for a couple years.

Whatever I listed last time is what I still have.

Titleist 962 Irons 2-PW
Titleist BeCu SW/AW/LW
Steelhead 3 Wood
Titleist 975J Driver

WhiteHot putter

He failed to mention the helicopter.

Skip Towne
04-24-2005, 07:06 PM
JFC!!

16 year old Cleveland Launcher.
Orlimar 3w.
Some pot metal 5w.

Integra irons.

Some old putter.

Pales in comparison, but so does my game (I'm certain)
You haven't seen Herzig's game have you? :p

Miles
04-24-2005, 07:07 PM
Ping ISI Tech 8.5* w/ Graffaloy Tour
Titleist 17* 980F
Ping ISI Nickle 2-PW
Cleavland 588 56*
Titleist Vokey 60*
Scotty Cameron Red X Center Shaft

Phobia
04-24-2005, 07:07 PM
He failed to mention the helicopter.

They're ALL helicopters.

Herzig
04-24-2005, 07:10 PM
You haven't seen Herzig's game have you? :p

Yep..it's pretty rusty right now..on my good days I'm shooting in the high 80's...mostly low 90's...wait til summer you bastage!! My personal best is 79 which I've shot 4 times(Lost Springs). That's all relative though considering the course.

Skip has an old bent wedge he needs to retire...

Philfree claims to be about a scratch golfer to 3-4 handicap...as far as I know, he's about the best player here. I'm more of about a 9 or 10 in the summer when I play more.

WilliamTheIrish
04-24-2005, 07:11 PM
Yep..it's pretty rusty right now..on my good days I'm shooting in the high 80's...mostly low 90's...wait til summer you bastage!!

That thing was retired till the invention of drugs for erectile dysfunction.

J Diddy
04-24-2005, 07:12 PM
I got the same old set of clubs I got at a garage sale 3 years ago for 10 bucks. Old as hell, however they still hit well.

Bootlegged
04-24-2005, 07:15 PM
Intergra Sooo Long 9 degree Driver
Callaway Big Bertha 3 WD
Nike CPR 18 degree
4-SW Callaway Big Bertha Oversize
Cleveland 56 degree SW
Taylor Made 60 degree
White Hot #5 putter

stevieray
04-24-2005, 07:17 PM
TaylorMade 380 driver
Ping Woods 3,4,5
Ping Eye2 1/W
PingZing putter(37 foreverauction)

Miles
04-24-2005, 07:19 PM
I am an admitted "club slut". I'm always buying, selling, and trading equipment.

I used to be pretty bad about it but now i only get a new club every few years or so. Its mostly from not playing as often as i used to but i also really like what i have now. Though i have my eye on the Titlist 503.H 19* utility iron. Its pretty damn nice.

The nice thing about trading clubs nowadays is how useful ebay is. If you dont buy equiptmnet right when its released you dont lose too much on it.

Herzig
04-24-2005, 07:19 PM
TaylorMade 380 driver
Ping Woods 3,4,5
Ping Eye2 1/W
PingZing putter(37 foreverauction)

Love the Eye 2's...classic sticks...over 20 years old and a used set still goes for about 250-300 bucks...talk about holding your value...

I hit a hole in one with an Eye 2 SW back in Oct. 99'...lucky shot.

stevieray
04-24-2005, 07:21 PM
Love the Eye 2's...classic sticks...over 20 years old and a used set still goes for about 250-300 bucks...talk about holding your value...

I here ya, first cavity back club I hit. They are great irons.

I REALLY need to play this year.

Phobia
04-24-2005, 07:22 PM
I here ya, first cavity back club I hit. They are great irons.

I REALLY need to play this year.

I thought we were playing Tiffany last fall. What happened?

stevieray
04-24-2005, 07:23 PM
I thought we were playing Tiffany last fall. What happened?

we were stupid.

JimNasium
04-24-2005, 07:23 PM
My bag is not only stagnant, it is also inactive.

Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha Ruger Titanium 9.5*
3 Wood: Callaway S2H2 13*
4 Wood: Cleveland Quadpro 17*
7 Wood: Some piece of shit Callaway 22* clone
3-PW: Cleveland TA5
GW: Cleveland BeCu 53*
LW: Ping Eye2
P: Wilson 8802

SCTrojan
04-24-2005, 07:24 PM
I've caved to the inevitable and started putting hybrids in my golf bag. Have never been able to hit long irons consistently, but for some reason I have confidence in the hybrids.

Callaway 10.5 degree driver
Callaway 3W
Mizuno steel 5W
Taylormade 7W
Tayormade hybrid #4
Adams tight lies hybrid #5
Callaway SW, PW, 7 iron & 9 iron
Odyssey putter

Herzig
04-24-2005, 07:25 PM
My bag is not only stagnant, it is also inactive.

Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha Ruger Titanium 9.5*
3 Wood: Callaway S2H2 13*
4 Wood: Cleveland Quadpro 17*
7 Wood: Some piece of shit Callaway 22* clone
3-PW: Cleveland TA5
GW: Cleveland BeCu 53*
LW: Ping Eye2
P: Wilson 8802

That's just a damn shame. Don't be a quitter like Skip!

JimNasium
04-24-2005, 07:26 PM
That's just a damn shame. Don't be a quitter like Skip!
My motto has always been "Don't be a quitter, stick it in her shitter."

Herzig
04-24-2005, 07:26 PM
I've caved to the inevitable and started putting hybrids in my golf bag. Have never been able to hit long irons consistently, but for some reason I have confidence in the hybrids.

I've demoed the Cally Heavenwood, TaylorMade Mid, Adams Idea, and the Cobra SZ baffler. The Cobra Baffler was by far the easiest to hit long and straight.

SCTrojan
04-24-2005, 07:32 PM
I've demoed the Cally Heavenwood, TaylorMade Mid, Adams Idea, and the Cobra SZ baffler. The Cobra Baffler was by far the easiest to hit long and straight.

Hit all those at a Golf Galaxy last month and the Adams felt best. I picked up the TaylorMade used at a Golf Galaxy in Minneapolis last summer.

I'd always struggled with the 165-190 yard distance (esp. par 3s) until I got these clubs. Now I have a hard time whenever I'm inside 140.

HemiEd
04-24-2005, 07:33 PM
Nike Blades, 2-W, Cleveland 52,56sw and 60 wedges, Ping Zing putter, Titleist 983K, King Cobra 3W. Yeah I know, that is 15 but nobody ever checks! ROFL
At least forty back up clubs. Must have a half dozen five woods but prefer long irons. :p

Herzig
04-27-2005, 10:46 AM
bumpity bump

whoman69
04-27-2005, 10:54 AM
I think equipment is ruining the game. How far would Tiger hit them if he still had metal shafts with actual wood woods, and the same golf balls they built in Jack Nicholas' era? Want to Tigerproof a course, take away his clubs.

Scaga
04-27-2005, 10:56 AM
Great Big Birtha 8 degree w/ graffaloy shaft
Great Big 3-wood
Ping Eye 2 (green dot) 1-SW (extended for the 6'4" owner...bought new in 1987).
Taylor Made Putter

HemiEd
04-27-2005, 11:01 AM
I think equipment is ruining the game. How far would Tiger hit them if he still had metal shafts with actual wood woods, and the same golf balls they built in Jack Nicholas' era? Want to Tigerproof a course, take away his clubs.

Last I watched Tiger he was using metal shafts, except for his driver. It could have changed but I believe they are still metal. Typically composite shafts are not good for swing speeds like his.

jspchief
04-27-2005, 11:02 AM
I'm not a big club guy. I'm a firm believer that it's the indian, not the arrow. My only weakness may be putters.

Driver: Ping ISI Titanium 8.5
Woods: Echelon 3 & 5 (came with irons)
Irons: Echelon 3-PW (an off-brand set that was the first new set I purchased)
SW: Ping Eye 2
Lob Wedge: Cleveland Rusty 60 degree
Putter: Ping Craz-E G2i

I'll probably upgrade my irons to the Ping G2 later this year. I've been putting off getting irons because I haven't been playing as much lately. I use my fairway so little, I'm in no hurry to upgrade. It's rare that I play a course that requires me to use a 3 or 5 wood, so what I have gets me by.

King_Chief_Fan
04-27-2005, 11:05 AM
I am an admitted "club slut". I'm always buying, selling, and trading equipment. Naptown is the only one here that I know of that is as bad or worse than I am about this addiction. Just curious what's in your bag...

Cobra 400 SZ Aldila HM Tour 60 9*
Cobra SZ 3 Wood
Cobra SZ 5 Wood
Ping I/3 Blades black dot 4-PW
Cleveland Gunmetal 49* and 56* Wedges
Cleveland CG 52* Gap
Odyssey 2 Ball White Steel heel shaft 34 inch putter

Backup

Cleveland Launcher 460 10.5 Aldila NV
Adams GT 3 and 5 woods
Ping S59's Black dot 3-PW
Several other Cleveland Wedges of various lofts
About 5 other putters

I have the same Cobra woods as yours. (aren't those great woods!?)
I have King Cobra ssi irons
ping 56* wedge
Ping G2i putter

KCTitus
04-27-2005, 11:06 AM
Man, I havent bought new clubs in almost a decade...MOF, Im getting them regripped this week.

The last club I bought was a King Cobra SW, 55 degrees...Im very lethal with that club at 100yds.

I just wish I could afford a whole set of Cobra's...I'd like to think that it would improve my game.

I definately need new fairway woods...Im still playing a 3W & 5W that I bought 20 years ago. I still like my Top Flite Intimidator driver, even though it's not a frozen turkey on a toothpick like most new drivers today.

King_Chief_Fan
04-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Man, I havent bought new clubs in almost a decade...MOF, Im getting them regripped this week.

The last club I bought was a King Cobra SW, 55 degrees...Im very lethal with that club at 100yds.

I just wish I could afford a whole set of Cobra's...I'd like to think that it would improve my game.

I definately need new fairway woods...Im still playing a 3W & 5W that I bought 20 years ago. I still like my Top Flite Intimidator driver, even though it's not a frozen turkey on a toothpick like most new drivers today.

you should at least spring for the 3 and 5 wood Cobras. You will love em.

KCTitus
04-27-2005, 11:11 AM
you should at least spring for the 3 and 5 wood Cobras. You will love em.

Was checking them HARD last week at Golf Galaxy...Im trying to work up the story that will get me the Mrs' blessing.

HemiEd
04-27-2005, 11:18 AM
Was checking them HARD last week at Golf Galaxy...Im trying to work up the story that will get me the Mrs' blessing.

ROFL I never let my wife have any say when it comes to toys of any kind, but I guess that is just me. :D

King_Chief_Fan
04-27-2005, 11:22 AM
I bought mine in Feb last year...... I used birthday and fathers day presents as my excuse.

ROYC75
04-27-2005, 11:25 AM
A bunch of clubs, I have to go get them to tell ya what each is.

Otter
04-27-2005, 11:30 AM
A $300 dollar box set of Wilsons that I'm glad I didn't go higher upon purchase. After two summers of trying, golf just never clacked my clackers and was replaced by fly fishing.

To me, golfing is about as relaxing as replacing the brake pads on my truck.

Boozer
04-27-2005, 11:30 AM

For guys like Tiger, going back to hickory shafts like they had in Skip's day wouldn't make that much of a difference. For everyday duffers, even a time warp back to 1980 would be a world of difference.

Shag
04-27-2005, 11:54 AM
Callaway VFT 9*
Taylor Made Burner Bubble (original) 3W
Titleist 975F 5W

Tommy Armour 845 Titanium 3-PW, LW
Old hand-me-down SW blade
Odyssey White Hot Rossie putter

I've really been eyeing used Taylor Made R7's on ebay lately, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I want to pick up a set of Mizuno MP33's someday, as well...

donkhater
04-27-2005, 12:24 PM
D-Nike 10.5*
3W-Olimar 16*
4IW-Nikent 21*
Irons(5-SW)-Nicklaus steel shaft
gap wedge (52*)-Adams blade
lob wedge(60*)-no clue
Putter-Cleveland Robusto

Got the putter, irons and ironwood just last fall.

The Nicklaus irons are awesome and loved getting back to a steel shaft after playing with graphite the last 10 years. Got them in a deal last fall for $179. Took the 3 and 4 out of the bag and replaced it with the ironwood.

If I wanted anything else it may be a 3-wood I can tee off with. The one I have is more of a thin faced fairway wood and can be hard to hit consistently off the tee.

Bill Lundberg
04-27-2005, 12:44 PM
Great Big Bertha II 9.5 - Firm Flex Driver
Mizuno 3 and 5 Woods
King Cobra SSi 3-SW
Cheap belly putter

Stinger
04-27-2005, 01:04 PM

If you want to bring everyone to the same level quick use a standardized ball.

KCTitus
04-27-2005, 01:48 PM
If you want to bring everyone to the same level quick use a standardized ball.

Speaking of this...I heard a little something about the Masters wanting to force players to use a ball they developed in their tourney.

If there's a group that can do it, it would be those guys.

SCTrojan
04-27-2005, 01:57 PM
Actually, IMO if you want to level the playing field in pro golf, course design is the way to go. The object is to take the driver out of the bombers' hands, not make the hole distances so long that you simply magnify their advantage.

350-yard holes that don't allow the use of a driver through their design bedevil Tiger and the boys more than a 650-yard par 5s.

Stinger
04-27-2005, 02:04 PM
Actually, IMO if you want to level the playing field in pro golf, course design is the way to go. The object is to take the driver out of the bombers' hands, not make the hole distances so long that you simply magnify their advantage.

350-yard holes that don't allow the use of a driver through their design bedevil Tiger and the boys more than a 650-yard par 5s.

You sound like Davis love. I believe it was him that said recently that if you have to design a course at 7600 yard to make it playable you should not be in the design business.

So many course could be better by not tricking up a course but using it's natural factors ( i.e. wind, rolling terrain, rolling greens, tighter fairways, etc.) to make it better and more difficult.

Phobia
04-27-2005, 02:14 PM
I may not have upgraded my sticks in a few years, but I just found out today that one of my friends from the USMC is employed in the golf industry in Myrtle Beach. She doesn't golf, so she offered free greens fees if I came down on vacation.

KCTitus
04-27-2005, 02:17 PM

Speaking specifically of Tiger, if you had an 18 hole course of nothing but par 3's ranging from 180-250 yards, it would definately put him at a disadvantage. He makes up most his strokes on the par 5's and long par 4's.

You're right...going long only increases his advantage.

SCTrojan
04-27-2005, 02:21 PM
So many course could be better by not tricking up a course but using it's natural factors ( i.e. wind, rolling terrain, rolling greens, tighter fairways, etc.) to make it better and more difficult.

Yep, that's the kind of thing I'm talking about. British Open courses, especially Royal St. George's in 2003, are exactly what I'm talking about. I think the winning score was -1 or something like that.

Miles
04-27-2005, 02:23 PM

He would still be able to lauch bombs with old school clubs that would fly past guys of that era. When Tiger won his first Masters he was still knocking the shit out of the ball with an origional King Cobra deep face driver with a steel shaft and Mizzuno MP-29 Irons. When your swinging 140 you will get some distance with anything.

Ball technology has just recently made fairly drastic improvements. When Tiger first showed up on tour the balls were pretty much the same as what Jack was using back in the day.

Stinger
04-27-2005, 02:34 PM
Ball technology has just recently made fairly drastic improvements. When Tiger first showed up on tour the balls were pretty much the same as what Jack was using back in the day.

:hmmm:

I think the people at Titlest, Callaway, Top "Rock"-Flight, et. all might disagree with you on that.

How long has the multicompression ball been around? Awhile I would assume. I maybe wrong though. Where as I don't believe Jack's era had that luxury?

Miles
04-27-2005, 03:00 PM
:hmmm:

I think the people at Titlest, Callaway, Top "Rock"-Flight, et. all might disagree with you on that.

How long has the multicompression ball been around? Awhile I would assume. I maybe wrong though. Where as I don't believe Jack's era had that luxury?

Im not too sure on the multicompression thing either. I know they have been around for at least 20years.

The ball technology did progress quite a lot from the 70's to 90's but not as much with the high spin balls.

Up untill the mids 90's or so they were still using 3 piece wound balata cover balls on tour. From what i understand that basic setup had been used for a long ass time. About roughly that time the first titleist high spin ball with a synthetic cover came out, the titleist professional.

Probably wasnt till the Pro VI that a dramatic improvement in ball technology was made. For ones they use at the tour level at least.

Edit: forgot about the Top Flite Strata. That was probably the first modern one and came out in 96/97ish.

bogie
04-27-2005, 03:50 PM
I'm a walking Orlimar add. Orlimar driver, fairway wood and irons. I asked the sales guy what the most forgiving clubs were and he said Orlimar. Now they're out of business. He saw me coming. I do like them though. I also have a Perfect Club and I love it! Cleveland 56 and 60. Ping putter.

jspchief
04-27-2005, 04:28 PM
I asked the sales guy what the most forgiving clubs were and he said Orlimar. Now they're out of business. He saw me coming.
I learned the hard way that if you ask the salesman for his advice, he's going to try and sell you the club thay have the most mark up on, not the best club.

Boozer
04-27-2005, 04:38 PM
Anyway, to answer the OP question...
TaylorMade r580 9.5 degree
(Extremely old school, but metal) Tommy Armour 835 Silver Scot 3 Wood
3-PW Ping I3+
Titleist DCI 56 degree SW
Cheap-ass insert Slotline putter.

bogie
04-27-2005, 04:51 PM
I learned the hard way that if you ask the salesman for his advice, he's going to try and sell you the club thay have the most mark up on, not the best club.

Yep. And he probably new they were going out of business and the price would drop. Live and learn. The good news is, I didn't spend a ton on them compared to other clubs, and I like them.

Skip Towne
04-27-2005, 05:07 PM
Yep..it's pretty rusty right now..on my good days I'm shooting in the high 80's...mostly low 90's...wait til summer you bastage!! My personal best is 79 which I've shot 4 times(Lost Springs). That's all relative though considering the course.

Philfree claims to be about a scratch golfer to 3-4 handicap...as far as I know, he's about the best player here. I'm more of about a 9 or 10 in the summer when I play more.
You know better than to badmouth my "Magic Wedge". Even though it does have a bent shaft it is very effective you have to admit. It is a Jack Nicklaus "Golden Bear" model. I paid $5 for it out of the used clubs tub.

Skip Towne
04-27-2005, 05:12 PM
This may sound stupid but Herzig actually plays better than his scores would indicate. He always manages to step on his dick on one hole every round and get an 8 or 9. Don't know why. I've seen him right near par at the turn more than once and end up with an 86. He's a hell of a match play guy.

Skip Towne
04-27-2005, 05:19 PM

Let me guess...it was on the green that is shaped like Arkansas and your name is on the plaque in the clubhouse.

Skip Towne
04-27-2005, 05:28 PM
Agreed.

Skip Towne
04-27-2005, 05:41 PM

You just described Southern Hills in Tulsa.

Over-Head
04-27-2005, 05:42 PM

I'll second that!
Just imagine this guy with "Graphite shafts"

http://www.infoplease.com/ipsa/A0109280.html

Ben Hogan
Born: Aug. 13, 1912
-4 time PGA Player of Year
- one of only five players to win all four Grand Slam titles (others are Nicklaus, Player, Sarazen and Woods);
-won 4 U.S. Opens
- 2 Masters
- 2 PGA'ss
-and 1 British Open between 1946-53.
- one of only two players (Woods) to win three of the four current majors in one year when he won Masters, U.S. Open and British Open in 1953
- nearly killed in Feb. 2, 1949 car accident, but came back to win U.S. Open in '50
- third on all-time list with 63 career wins.

Died: July 25, 1997

IMO possibly the best player the game has ever seen.

Miles
04-27-2005, 05:53 PM
I'll second that!
Just imagine this guy with "Graphite shafts"

Ben Hogan

IMO possibly the best player the game has ever seen.

Hell yea. He did a lot in the way of teaching the modern swing as well.

With all the sports movies over the years it would be cool if someone made one about his accident and that US Open he won after comming back.

http://cheap-posters.net/posters/S2804.jpg

Skip Towne
04-27-2005, 06:01 PM
Yes, Boozer, I actually did start with hickory shafted clubs in about 1957. I couldn't afford a set so I borrowed them from a guy who didn't play much. For about 30 years, someone in the golf industry came out with a new gimmick every year. One year it was a reverse twist in the shaft to counteract torque and was sure to improve your accuracy. It didn't. So I've always said "It ain't the arrow, It's the Indian". But it's not that way anymore, it's the arrow. I hadn't played in about 10 years when I played a few times with Herzig. I was amazed at how much distance those oversized drivers created. I could hit Greg's driver 30 yards farther than my Big Bertha Warbird.

whoman69
04-27-2005, 06:02 PM

Making courses longer plays right into the longer hitters advantage. Now you have the shorter hitters needing longer clubs just to make the hole on par. The only thing you can do to Tiger is to put rough and sand where he wants to hit his drives.

Skip Towne
04-27-2005, 06:27 PM
Making courses longer plays right into the longer hitters advantage. Now you have the shorter hitters needing longer clubs just to make the hole on par. The only thing you can do to Tiger is to put rough and sand where he wants to hit his drives.
Several years ago, one of the British courses "Tigerized" the course. They moved several fairway traps out to 265 yards. When asked how he would handle that Tiger replied "fly it". I've never seen ANYONE take such a vicious cut at a golf ball as Tiger Woods.

Stinger
04-27-2005, 07:15 PM
I've never seen ANYONE take such a vicious cut at a golf ball as Tiger Woods.

hehe ... oh I have seen people take vicious cuts at a golf ball like Tiger but I have yet to see anyone get the results like him :D

Herzig
04-27-2005, 07:16 PM
This may sound stupid but Herzig actually plays better than his scores would indicate. He always manages to step on his dick on one hole every round and get an 8 or 9. Don't know why. I've seen him right near par at the turn more than once and end up with an 86. He's a hell of a match play guy.

I hate it when I step on my dick. Ouch.

Hey Mike....Guess who was playing behind me today at Paradise Valley?.... Nolan Richardson. I got him to autograph my golf glove just for you since you're such a big fan of his.

Boozer
04-27-2005, 07:45 PM
Yes, Boozer, I actually did start with hickory shafted clubs in about 1957. I couldn't afford a set so I borrowed them from a guy who didn't play much. For about 30 years, someone in the golf industry came out with a new gimmick every year. One year it was a reverse twist in the shaft to counteract torque and was sure to improve your accuracy. It didn't. So I've always said "It ain't the arrow, It's the Indian". But it's not that way anymore, it's the arrow. I hadn't played in about 10 years when I played a few times with Herzig. I was amazed at how much distance those oversized drivers created. I could hit Greg's driver 30 yards farther than my Big Bertha Warbird.

Jeez, I was joking about the hickory shafts. ROFL

As I said earlier, though, the Indian/arrow effect is much greater for the duffer than it is for the touring pro. I've got almost a thousand dollars in my bag, but I don't think I could get within 25 strokes of Tiger/Phil/Vijay/Ernie/etc. even if you were to outfit them with a $99 K-Mart set. That might be a bit of an exaggeration, but does anyone doubt that one of those guys could break 75 on an average publinks with WallyWorld clubs, having never swung them before?

Archie F. Swin
04-28-2005, 07:15 AM
When it comes to golf, the more important question would be: "What's in your sack?"

Herzig
04-28-2005, 08:33 PM
When it comes to golf, the more important question would be: "What's in your sack?"

Nuts. (padding the ol' post count)

Herzig
05-06-2005, 05:34 AM
Golfers...here's a couple of great golf message boards. Naptown...check out the Golf Aficionados(GEA) "Swap Shop". It's a great place to get bargains on great equipment.

Golf Aficionados here: http://forums.prospero.com/golfequip/messages

The Golf Channel here: http://forums.prospero.com/gc-golf/messages

PastorMikH
05-06-2005, 07:10 AM
I missed this thread.

Driver is a Callaway Hawkeye 9 degree
King Snake 5 wood
Some of the best Ping Zing clones around 1 iron through LW. - though I usually leave the 1 & 2 at home to make the 14 limit.
some cheap putter I picked up for $15 but is the best putting putter I've used

WilliamTheIrish
05-06-2005, 04:31 PM
I am sad to report that my 16 year old Cleveland Launcher is dead.

I was hitting at the range today and on one swing it made a weird sound. When I looked up to see the flight of the ball, all I saw was the club head flying gracefully through the air.

Never saw the ball.....

stevieray
05-06-2005, 05:02 PM

I was hitting at the range today and on one swing it made a weird sound. When I looked up to see the flight of the ball, all I saw was the club head flying gracefully through the air.

Never saw the ball.....

prolly a threehundredyarder. figures, huh?

Phobia
05-06-2005, 05:04 PM

Never saw the ball.....

It's probably for the best. Hopefully your next driver will be kinder to you.

Boozer
05-06-2005, 05:05 PM

Never saw the ball.....

I had a similar occurence years ago, but with a sand wedge out on the course. Recovered the club head, never did find the ball.

Phobia
05-06-2005, 05:12 PM
FWIW, we had a noob sign up from Springfield today. Claims his occupation as "professional golfer".

Cool, huh?

NJ Chief Fan
05-06-2005, 05:17 PM
whats in my bag is some pot

Skip Towne
05-06-2005, 05:24 PM

Never saw the ball.....
Take it to the golf store. They can stick the head back on.

Stinger
05-06-2005, 06:36 PM

Never saw the ball.....

Yep, they can although they will probably have to reshaft it so plan on paying for that since it is 16 years old.

I know how you feel Will my PW snap at the hossle 2 weeks ago in a tournament. Had a side hill lie and took too steep of swing and SNAP ball goes along with the head of the club good thing for me my playing partner was behind me and not where his is ball was.

WilliamTheIrish
05-06-2005, 08:29 PM

There go my dreams of a new driver.

Oh, well. I'm such a shiot player anyway. Should prolly just tee off with the 3 wood.

philfree
05-06-2005, 09:18 PM
GOLFERS: What's in your bag?

I got some Jack stashed in mine!

PhilFree:arrow:

Boozer
05-06-2005, 09:28 PM
I got some Jack stashed in mine!

In honor of the dearly departed Hunter S. Thompson, I have a Rem 870 in mine!

[just kidding]

Herzig
05-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Mr. Magoo

WilliamTheIrish
05-08-2005, 12:08 PM
I've had it with this sport.

I just started playing last year. Really, I was never really any good. I wasn't a complete mess out there. On occasion I could hit a decent tee shot. Plus, my 7 iron on down was pretty trustworthy.

For the past 2 months though, I can't hit shit. Nothing. I'm a lefty aall of a sudden every tee shot I hit goes directly right. Today, I almost hit some guys on a green that was directly to my right. The ball went over their heads (thank god, they never saw it. I never would have had time to warn them.) EVERY f'n iron I hit sprays off to the left. EVERY SINGLE F'N ONE !!! No matter what iron I hit.

I've played high school basketball, and Amercan Legion baseball. I was a pretty decent athlete. But JFC this game gets in your f'n head.

I came home from today from our usual Sunday round and threw my clubs in the front yard.

F' it.

Phobia
05-08-2005, 12:13 PM
I take it your wife isn't getting a new driver for mother's day?

WilliamTheIrish
05-08-2005, 12:21 PM
I take it your wife isn't getting a new driver for mother's day?

The thought went through my mind. But I thought "Hold off, your playing crummy. Work on your swing. Then, after you correct some flaws, spend money on a driver."

Not now.

Today.... it wasn't fun anymore. It was like f'n work. I like leaving the golf course happy. I haven't done that in two months. PLus my brothers are just killin' me. And those bastards are just ribbin me no end. (OK, that part is fun.)

You'd have been proud of me today. I threw my 3 iron about 40 yards. Longest drive I had all month. Seriously.

Phobia
05-08-2005, 12:29 PM
The thought went through my mind. But I thought "Hold off, your playing crummy. Work on your swing. Then, after you correct some flaws, spend money on a driver."

Not now.

Today.... it wasn't fun anymore. It was like f'n work. I like leaving the golf course happy. I haven't done that in two months. PLus my brothers are just killin' me. And those bastards are just ribbin me no end. (OK, that part is fun.)

You'd have been proud of me today. I threw my 3 iron about 40 yards. Longest drive I had all month. Seriously.

Maybe it's the company. You and I should go out and hack up a local course someday. No expectations whatsoever. I don't think I've played since the last time you and I played.

stevieray
05-08-2005, 12:33 PM

Not now.

you're trying too hard. you need to slow down your swing...you're turning your wrists and either opening or closing the club face upom impact.

go to the range and just practice, or do a nine hole par three with aseven iron and a putter.

stevieray
05-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Maybe it's the company. You and I should go out and hack up a local course someday. No expectations whatsoever. I don't think I've played since the last time you and I played.

you just want to beat the forty yard throw.

PastorMikH
05-08-2005, 12:36 PM
I'm kinda anxious to play again - as soon as I get the time. I've had lots of problems this spring. Couldn't put my finger on any one thing I was doing wrong. While on vacation, I read a bit out of Tiger Wood's book "How I play Golf". In it I realized that there isn't anything major that I'm doing wrong, but there are lots of little things. For instance, my chin is too low causing me to not be able to keep my head straight. My stance is a little off, and so on. I've been working on these things and am hitting the little plastic balls and my pitching wedge much better in the back yard and lot between the house and church.

WilliamTheIrish
05-08-2005, 12:54 PM
you're trying too hard. you need to slow down your swing...you're turning your wrists and either opening or closing the club face upom impact.

go to the range and just practice, or do a nine hole par three with aseven iron and a putter.

There's no doubt I'm pressing.

I've been to the range and I'm doing it there. I hit a 100 balls on Friday and out of that 100, maybe a dozen or so didn't spray left.

And when I teed it up, they went waaaaaaaaaaay right. Or they skipped along the ground and died about 30 yards out.

it's just frustrating.

PastorMikH
05-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Or they skipped along the ground and died about 30 yards out.

Sounds to me like you're standing too close to the ball after you hit it.

WilliamTheIrish
05-08-2005, 01:04 PM

We'd prolly have to play a new scramble format.

You hit em into the woods, and I'll go find em.

WilliamTheIrish
05-08-2005, 01:05 PM
you just want to beat the forty yard throw.

ROFL

WilliamTheIrish
05-08-2005, 01:21 PM
One last thing:

The funny thing is this. On a par 3 135 yd hole, I took my 8 iron, hit it right on the button and dropped the ball within 1.5 feet of the cup. Walked up, measure the putt... and.... gently pushed it right. But it caught the lip and rolled all the way around the cup before falling in.

Walked right over to the next tee and hit a 3 iron into the woods on the left about 50 yards in front of the tee.

F'n game.

Phobia
05-08-2005, 01:35 PM
We'd prolly have to play a new scramble format.

You hit em into the woods, and I'll go find em.

Still, 350 in the woods is better than 35 in the woods. ;)

redbrian
05-08-2005, 02:10 PM
Right now I have a bag full of mish mash junk.

Changed over to Natural Golf last year and am saving my money to buy a custom set of Natural Clubs.

I used to have one hell of a slice till I changed to the Natural swing, now I can drop the ball where I want it about 90% of the time.

WilliamTheIrish
05-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Right now I have a bag full of mish mash junk.

Changed over to Natural Golf last year and am saving my money to buy a custom set of Natural Clubs.

I used to have one hell of a slice till I changed to the Natural swing, now I can drop the ball where I want it about 90% of the time.

Well... how about a great big f you to redbrian?

Just kidding. :)

Phobia
05-08-2005, 02:13 PM
Natural golf? WTF is that - eat a bunch of cabbage and fart the ball off the tee?

redbrian
05-08-2005, 02:18 PM
Natural golf? WTF is that - eat a bunch of cabbage and fart the ball off the tee?

www.naturalgolf.com

It's a simplified swing, uses a baseball grip and is all upper body. The grip is a lot fatter with no tapper.

Phobia
05-08-2005, 02:54 PM
www.naturalgolf.com

It's a simplified swing, uses a baseball grip and is all upper body. The grip is a lot fatter with no tapper.

Yeah - I read a little of it. I'm guessing Penick is rolling over in his grave. Everything about it seems to go against everything I've learned about golf. Heh.

Stinger
05-08-2005, 09:53 PM
I've had it with this sport.

I just started playing last year. Really, I was never really any good. I wasn't a complete mess out there. On occasion I could hit a decent tee shot. Plus, my 7 iron on down was pretty trustworthy.

For the past 2 months though, I can't hit shit. Nothing. I'm a lefty aall of a sudden every tee shot I hit goes directly right. Today, I almost hit some guys on a green that was directly to my right. The ball went over their heads (thank god, they never saw it. I never would have had time to warn them.) EVERY f'n iron I hit sprays off to the left. EVERY SINGLE F'N ONE !!! No matter what iron I hit.

I've played high school basketball, and Amercan Legion baseball. I was a pretty decent athlete. But JFC this game gets in your f'n head.

I came home from today from our usual Sunday round and threw my clubs in the front yard.

F' it.

This was nowhere near as good as your last golf rant :shake:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=98808

ROFL ROFL

But Will what it sounds like is what is said before. You are trying to hard. Heck those of us who have played awhile even goes through sperts like this. Don't press go out and not keep score just tee it up and enjoy the good shots. When those happen try to remember how you did it and try to repeat it.

Think of it this way if you hit everyball straight you don't get to practice those shots that legends are made of. Those 125 yard PW sliced under the tree, glancing off the bridge, over the pond onto the greem 10 feet from the hole.

Also if you hit in the fairway all the time you only see a minimum of the course being in the woods, traps, wading in the stream usally has better views of the surrounding areas. And atleast you feel you get your moneys worth.

:D

Boozer
05-08-2005, 10:24 PM
On a par 3 135 yd hole, I took my 8 iron, hit it right on the button and dropped the ball within 1.5 feet of the cup. Walked up, measure the putt... and.... gently pushed it right. But it caught the lip and rolled all the way around the cup before falling in.

...and that's all it takes to keep you coming back.
:banghead: :cuss:

Yesterday, I played an uneven 18 without really keeping score, mainly just knocking the ball around with my family (probably shot around a 97 or so on a course I really should be getting sub-90s on). I did knock the shit out of a few drives. None were pretty draws or anything, but I'll take a 310 low controlled fade/slice ending up just right of the green on a short par 4 anyday. :) (Just about fell out of my shoes on that one!)

PastorMikH
05-08-2005, 10:24 PM
Think of it this way if you hit everyball straight you don't get to practice those shots that legends are made of. Those 125 yard PW sliced under the tree, glancing off the bridge, over the pond onto the greem 10 feet from the hole.

I get plenty of practice like that. I'd love to hit out of the fairway for a change.

Boozer
05-08-2005, 10:25 PM
I get plenty of practice like that. I'd love to hit out of the fairway for a change.

Heck, I've grown to prefer the rough. I don't know how to hit the ball off the fairway anymore.

PastorMikH
05-08-2005, 10:27 PM
Heck, I've grown to prefer the rough. I don't know how to hit the ball off the fairway anymore.

Yeah, but wouldn't it be nice to try once in a while?

Boozer
05-08-2005, 10:44 PM
Yeah, but wouldn't it be nice to try once in a while?

I'll let you know if that ever happens to me.

WilliamTheIrish
05-08-2005, 11:18 PM
This was nowhere near as good as your last golf rant :shake:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=98808

ROFL ROFL

But Will what it sounds like is what is said before. You are trying to hard. Heck those of us who have played awhile even goes through sperts like this. Don't press go out and not keep score just tee it up and enjoy the good shots. When those happen try to remember how you did it and try to repeat it.

Also if you hit in the fairway all the time you only see a minimum of the course being in the woods, traps, wading in the stream usally has better views of the surrounding areas. And atleast you feel you get your moneys worth.

:D

I'll be back out there. But it's a much better game when you have a little confidence. Mine is shot.

WilliamTheIrish
05-08-2005, 11:23 PM
Also if you hit in the fairway all the time you only see a minimum of the course being in the woods, traps, wading in the stream usally has better views of the surrounding areas. And atleast you feel you get your moneys worth.:D

As much time as I've spent off the fairway this season I could write articles for the Audubon Society.

I'm becoming quite the naturalist.

J Diddy
05-09-2005, 12:38 AM
As much time as I've spent off the fairway this season I could write articles for the Audubon Society.

I'm becoming quite the naturalist.

ROFL

Like Jack Lemmons in the end of "Legend of Bagger Vance"

"The trees, great, spend more time in there than the squirrels"

KCTitus
05-09-2005, 07:08 AM
Yesterday, I played an uneven 18 without really keeping score...

I do this regularly. Some of the most fun rounds are when I didnt keep score. Then there are times I start out fully intent on keeping score and after the 3rd hole, the scorecard is in the trash.

One thing I'd like to do this year is consistently break 90. I was on a streak of low-mid 80's a couple of years ago, but Ive gone back to 91-94 each time out. It's typically one blow up hole on each 9 that gets me.

WilliamTheIrish
05-13-2005, 10:10 PM

SR,

Thanks for the advice. I've done exactly that over the last week. Slowed down the swing. Used just the SW, PW and 9 iron.
Concentrated on just making contact. Then moved to the longer irons. In a week I'm making better contact.

Today, I used that swing and brought out the 3 Wood and gave it some full swings. Drove the shiot out of the ball off the deck. Hit about 20 that went right down the pipe at about 180 - 200 with a touch of a fade. (Just like before.)

Confidence is coming back.

Thanks for the tip.

Skip Towne
05-13-2005, 10:37 PM
SR,

Thanks for the advice. I've done exactly that over the last week. Slowed down the swing. Used just the SW, PW and 9 iron.
Concentrated on just making contact. Then moved to the longer irons. In a week I'm making better contact.

Today, I used that swing and brought out the 3 Wood and gave it some full swings. Drove the shiot out of the ball off the deck. Hit about 20 that went right down the pipe at about 180 - 200 with a touch of a fade. (Just like before.)

Thanks for the tip.
Well, William, don't go getting all encouraged. That's the way golf is. It lets you hit just enough good shots to keep you coming back. Then it all goes to hell again.

WilliamTheIrish
05-13-2005, 10:46 PM
Well, William, don't go getting all encouraged. That's the way golf is. It lets you hit just enough good shots to keep you coming back. Then it all goes to hell again.

That has to be the truest statement ever.

I will not forget it.

stevieray
05-13-2005, 10:51 PM
SR,

Thanks for the tip.

Right on, man... :clap:

WilliamTheIrish
05-15-2005, 02:44 PM
OK, continuing my swing re-hab today.

Hammered the 3 wood off the tee. This is amazing because I've got a very thin faced Orlimar trimetal that I could never hit straight. Today for the first 4 holes, I was hitting on the sweet spot and dropping it in the fairway.
Wedges were very good. Putting was ok. Front 9 was 46.

Then it happened.... (just like Skip said) I got a little tired I think and began rushing at the top of the backswing. On two consecutive par 3's on the back nine, (154 yds and 175 yds) I mangled tee shots and tripled bogeyed them both.
BUT, instead of giving up, I just played through it with a smile. Never lost confidence.

Finished at 96. (UGH) Should have been better. But I hit a ton of good shots and ton fewer of the crummy ones.

Re-hab is good.

SCTrojan
05-15-2005, 02:48 PM
Finished at 96. (UGH) Should have been better. But I hit a ton of good shots and ton fewer of the crummy ones.

Re-hab is good.

96 sounds like a great score if you are working out things with your swing. A break here or there, a little more concentration on a few swings and you're under 90. Don't know what you're used to shooting, but that's a solid round in my book.

Herzig
05-15-2005, 03:34 PM
Hang in there William! Golf is fun...don't take it so seriously. I've got some serious swing problems at the moment too. Glad to hear that you're sticking with it.

WilliamTheIrish
05-15-2005, 06:48 PM
96 sounds like a great score if you are working out things with your swing. A break here or there, a little more concentration on a few swings and you're under 90. Don't know what you're used to shooting, but that's a solid round in my book.

I'm not really changing my swing or anything like that. Don't really know enough about the technical aspect of the game to do that. It was just really frustrating over the last month that I couldn't hit anything.

Then today .... I just mashed the ball off the tee for half a round.

I was overjoyed at the 96. My brother kept score but we didn't tally anything till the end. So I never really knew what I scored till the end.

Then I thought about those back to back triples and thought....UGH!

WilliamTheIrish
05-15-2005, 06:50 PM
Hang in there William! Golf is fun...don't take it so seriously. I've got some serious swing problems at the moment too. Glad to hear that you're sticking with it.

So true Greg. It's the funnest time I've ever had. being with my brothers every Sunday makes it even better.

Side note: I see that Orlimar has a new line of drivers out.

Have you demo'd one yet?

Herzig
05-15-2005, 07:09 PM
So true Greg. It's the funnest time I've ever had. being with my brothers every Sunday makes it even better.

Side note: I see that Orlimar has a new line of drivers out.

Have you demo'd one yet?

Outstanding...No I haven't checked them out yet...but I'll have to..

yunghungwell
05-17-2005, 10:16 AM
WARNING

My next post is a joke and might offend some small portion of the population.

yunghungwell
05-17-2005, 10:16 AM
You were warned....

A recent college graduate and golf enthusiast is required to move to an unfamiliar city for his first job. During the first weekend that the young man has free after unpacking he decides to head to the local golf course that is near his house. When he arrives at the course he notices how full the parking lot is and is a little disheartened about his chances of securing a tee time.

The young man inquires about available tee times once in the clubhouse. The attendant tells the man that it is very hard to get a tee time at this particular public course, but today must be his lucky day because a young woman is golfing by herself and is about to tee off on the front nine.

The young man heads to the first tee, clears his throat and sheepishly ask the stunningly beautiful woman if she would mind have a golfing partner for the afternoon. The woman says that it is not a problem and that she would be happy if he were to join her.

When they have finished their round, the woman says, “Well, I certainly had a nice time golfing with you this afternoon.” The man replies in kind.

Then the woman says, “I would be happy to golf with you any time. In fact I would very much enjoy going out with you sometime.”

WELL, this certainly has become a nice welcome to a new town for the young man. He is quite excited and asks her to go out with him that very evening.

She says, “Meet me at my place at 7:00.” and renders her address.

When the man arrives at the woman’s apartment, she quickly pulls him inside and says, “I don’t want to go out in public tonight. How about I just give you a blowjob and then you can be on your way. Then I won’t tie you down this evening. Finally, if you are free, we can golf together next Saturday.” Well that didn’t seem to crate a problem for the young man so he complied.

For the next six weeks, the same events transpire. The couple golfs, the man goes to the woman’s apartment, receives a blowjob, and leaves the apartment immediately afterwards.

Finally, the young man is dumbfounded. “Why don’t we ever go out together? I would love to buy you supper. You never let me have sex with you. Heck you never even kiss me, and you are so hot. I would love to kiss you all over.”

The young woman replies, “Well, I have been keeping a secret. I am not actually a woman. I have a penis, and I am simply a man dressed in woman’s clothing.”

The young man is extremely pissed off and shouts at her, “Why, you son of a bitch! You’ve been hitting from the red tees all this time!”

philfree
05-19-2005, 07:41 PM
I need to re-tool badly so I'm looking at getting a set of these.

MP-32™ Irons

Recent Awards & Accolades:

The new MP-32™ iron with Cut Muscle™ design technology is the player's club for the modern game of golf. Through intensive research, the Mizuno Design team evaluated the evolution of the game of golf and, in turn, created the new MP-32™ iron to maximize performance for today’s more aggressive game. Utilizing our patented Grain Flow Forging™ technology and the breakthrough Cut Muscle™ design, Mizuno engineers were able to strategically re-distribute weight to create a consistent sweet spot location, with a deeper center of gravity, while maintaining the maximum amount of solid feel throughout the set. These features deliver an extremely controllable and predictable ball flight, producing a mid-high trajectory in long irons and a mid trajectory in the scoring irons.

Breakthrough Cut Muscle™ design delivers an extremely controllable and predictable ball flight.

FEATURES
Innovative Cut Muscle™ design provides ideal COG location, perfect trajectory, and enhanced solid feel.
Grain Flow Forged™, 1025 select mild carbon steel provides the ultimate soft, solid, consistent feel.
Durable Double nickel chrome plated finish.
Modified U-grooves produces the ideal spin rate for maximum playability in all conditions.
Rolled leading edge, cambered mid-sole, and rolled trailing edge deliver consistent striking ability from all types of lies.

SHAFT AVAILABILITY
True Temper® Dynamic Gold® - R300, S300
Other shafts available in custom

GRIP AVAILABILITY
Golf Pride® Tour Velvet 58 Round.
Other grips available in custom

An upcharge may apply for some custom options.
Specifications
Style Number: 210304
Available: 08/2004

Limited Left Handed Availability

9 Iron | 3 Iron

CLUB# LH LOFT LIE OFFSET LENGTH BOUNCE
2 N/A 19° 59.0° 0.120" 39.25" 2°
3 Y 21° 59.5° 0.120" 38.75" 2°
4 Y 24° 60.0° 0.120" 38.25" 2°
5 Y 27° 60.5° 0.120" 37.75" 2°
6 Y 31° 61.0° 0.120" 37.25" 3°
7 Y 35° 61.5° 0.110" 36.75" 3°
8 Y 39° 62.0° 0.110" 36.25" 4°
9 Y 43° 62.5° 0.110" 35.75" 5°
PW Y 47° 63.0° 0.110" 35.50" 6°

WilliamTheIrish
05-25-2005, 09:57 AM
Alright. Well I'm into week 3 of total swing re-hab. Starting to hit a little better. My once famous slice is becoming a memory. Teeing off the deck with a 3W has seen me decrease the height, increase the distance and even show a bit of a draw on the ball.
So, I'm headed with my 6 brothers, 5 Brothers-in law and 10 other assorted maniacs to Bella Vista, Ark to play 7 rounds of golf and eat and be general hooligans on those fine courses built for really bad golfers(like me).
I'm taking only 7 total clubs. SW, PW, 9,8,7i's, and 3W. And my putter.

The other clubs have not been behaving well and after threatening them with being replaced by other clubs have still not shaped up. Therefore, they are being punished. NO TRIP FOR THEM!!!

That'll teach the little bastards....

Also I checked with Homeland Security. For you people in the Bella Vista area, they have upped the condition to to yellow. Be on the lookout for cells from Kansas, Colorado, and Texas moving your way. There are reports that they have several launching devices...Some of them left handed!!!!'They are considers dangerous. Do not try to stop them. Call the local authorities.

That is all....

Herzig
05-25-2005, 10:26 AM
Also I checked with Homeland Security. For you people in the Bella Vista area, they have upped the condition to to yellow. Be on the lookout for cells from Kansas, Colorado, and Texas moving your way. There are reports that they have several launching devices...Some of them left handed!!!!'They are considers dangerous. Do not try to stop them. Call the local authorities.

That is all....

Glad to hear that you are sticking with it. When are coming down this way?

WilliamTheIrish
06-05-2005, 04:35 PM
Herzig...

HTH did you get 1/2 million posts? LOL

Herzig
06-05-2005, 04:40 PM
Herzig...

HTH did you get 1/2 million posts? LOL

It's funny actually. I suggested to Phobia that people should donate a penny per post to the site and all of sudden, I had over half a million posts. Bad idea! Really, I only have 2300+ posts. Eat your heart out Endelt!

Bowser
06-05-2005, 04:41 PM
It's funny actually. I suggested to Phobia that people should donate a penny per post to the site and all of sudden, I had over half a million posts. Bad idea!

ROFL

yeti
06-05-2005, 04:53 PM
King Cobra SS 290 Driver
Macgregor 3 and 5 woods
Set of older Macgregor irons.
Spaulding SW (a real piece of crap)
Ping Anser Nickel metal putter (love the old thing)

I have been at the golf course since 6:30 AM. It has been awesome. I worked in the morning (at the course) and played in the afternoon mixed in with some time at the range. PBJ Perfect weather about 75 and sunny. Summer rocks!

WilliamTheIrish
06-05-2005, 05:50 PM
I had forgotten about this thread. Got back from the 5 day golf vacation last week and forgot to give the details.

Day 1) Thursday PM. We always do a scramble on the first day so I was put in a group with 2 other lefties and my 17 y/o nephew who has never played, save for hitting the PW in his back yard.

We were.... well.... awful. Awful individually and awful as a team. We shot +12. AS A TEAM IN A SCRAMBLE FORMAT. ROFL When that round was over we all said "Thank you Lord."

Nobody else was more than +1.

DAY 2) Stroke play in AM at Dogwwod.

Before we go any further let me give you an example of how stupid I am when it comes to golf. My driver snapped off at the base. Now being the .... frugal.... SOB that I am, I figure I'll just tee off with the 3w until such time as I find a suitable replacement.

OK, as we're leaving KC for the trip, my oldest brothers' son wants me to take his Steehead Big Bertha. "You gotta try it!!!! It's awesome!!!" All that BS.

So, after 2 months of grueling work trying to to hit the 3 and having it finally pay off in the last two weeks before the vacation, I abandon the 3w and tee off with the unfamiliar driver.

It pays off with slices, pulls and popups for the 1st 2 rounds.

OK, back to day 2 AM: Play like dogcrap again at Berksdale course, mainly because I can't hit this frappin driver. I'm scrambling from the rough on every hole. Hitting the irons well enough that if I could hit a putt I'd have played near double bogey golf. However I was worse. Wore the pencil out with a 116. But I hit a ton of good iron shots so I was encouraged.

Day 2 PM. Scramble format. The borrowed driver goes not only out of the bag, but out of the car, the condo, and out of my mind.

Immediately I'm hitting 180-200 yds off the tee and more importantly into the fairway. Plus, my irons are tearing it up. On 4 consecutive holes I drop my ball within 6 feet of the pin anywhere from 110 to 150 yds. Just killin'. We fiish in 2nd place at even par.

More later....

Stinger
06-05-2005, 07:22 PM
Day 1) Thursday PM, We shot +12.

OK, back to day 2 AM: Play like dogcrap again at Berksdale course, mainly because I can't hit this frappin driver. Wore the pencil out with a 116. But I hit a ton of good iron shots so I was encouraged.

Day 2 PM. On 4 consecutive holes I drop my ball within 6 feet of the pin anywhere from 110 to 150 yds. Just killin'. We fiish in 2nd place at even par.

More later....

Hehe .... Sandbagger :p

ROFL

Glad you had a good time, golf trips are a blast.

Skip Towne
06-05-2005, 07:38 PM
It was not an accident that they put you leftys in the same foursome. You are like lepers. Lefthanders are shitty golfers they just forgot to tell Mickelson. But I'd just forget the whole thing if I were you. You have no chance of improving. Try soccer or something.

HemiEd
06-05-2005, 09:18 PM
Glad you had fun, best game there is for us average folks.
Hey, wish me luck on Wednesday night. Qualified in the top four of our three week stapleford system match. Lots of bragging rights and some money on the line. For those of you that do not know about the stapleford system it works like this for us:
Eagle 5 points
Birdie 3
Par 1
Bogie -1/2
Worse -1

Skip Towne
06-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Glad you had fun, best game there is for us average folks.
Hey, wish me luck on Wednesday night. Qualified in the top four of our three week stapleford system match. Lots of bragging rights and some money on the line. For those of you that do not know about the stapleford system it works like this for us:
Eagle 5 points
Birdie 3
Par 1
Bogie -1/2
Worse -1

HemiEd
06-05-2005, 09:29 PM
That is the absolute dumbest way of scoring golf I have ever seen. And, By the way, it is Stableford, not Stapleford.

You are absolutely right old man, I just checked the email from the league. I learn so much hanging around my elders. ROFL

WilliamTheIrish
06-06-2005, 11:31 AM
It was not an accident that they put you leftys in the same foursome. You are like lepers. Lefthanders are shitty golfers they just forgot to tell Mickelson. But I'd just forget the whole thing if I were you. You have no chance of improving. Try soccer or something.

Lepers..heh heh...

It was kinda fun to golf with other lefties. All the RH'ers get to borrow clubs from each other. One of the lefties had a brand new Ping G2 driver and irons and Craz-E putter.

I got swing the that driver a few times. It didn't help. So you're right. I'm quitting today.

HemiEd
06-06-2005, 11:53 AM
So you're right. I'm quitting today.

When is the next T Time?

philfree
06-08-2005, 12:12 AM
I had the pleasure of playing golf in KC the past two days and it was a heater out! Played Winter Stone on Mon. and then played Shoal Creek in a 4 man scramble today. Hell we even won :) Winter Stone was nice but the back 9 is a little short and the greens were slow. I really liked Shoal Creek, it's a great facility and especially since it's owned by the city. The GPS system is "State Of The Art" too! The whole thing cost me $00.00 and I picked up a $100.00 gift certificate from the pro shop :clap: got a nice room at the Hampton Inn :clap: got fed including a nice evening of burgers and bratts on the patio last night along with all the beer and Crown one could handle :clap: and then today a box lunch before tee off and then more burgers, bratts and bbq chicken. Beens and tater salad as well :clap: :) It was a very good two days of golf :)

wildcat09
06-08-2005, 12:18 AM
I had the pleasure of playing golf in KC the past two days and it was a heater out! Played Winter Stone on Mon. and then played Shoal Creek in a 4 man scramble today. Hell we even won :) Winter Stone was nice but the back 9 is a little short and the greens were slow. I really liked Shoal Creek, it's a great facility and especially since it's owned by the city. The GPS system is "State Of The Art" too! The whole thing cost me $00.00 and I picked up a $100.00 gift certificate from the pro shop :clap: got a nice room at the Hampton Inn :clap: got fed including a nice evening of burgers and bratts on the patio last night along with all the beer and Crown one could handle :clap: and then today a box lunch before tee off and then more burgers, bratts and bbq chicken. Beens and tater salad as well :clap: :) It was a very good two days of golf :)

you must have some good hook ups. how did you pull that one off? i want to be your friend.

Herzig
08-13-2005, 09:22 PM
Say hello to my new little shiny friends...I've wanted a set of these for a loooong time...well they are now in the bag.

:)

Herzig
08-13-2005, 09:28 PM
Latest Herzig Bag update

Cobra 400 SZ Driver 9* Alidila HM Tour Stiff shaft
Cobra SZ 3 wood 15.5 *Alidila HM Tour Stiff shaft
Cobra Baffler SZ Hybrid Utility 18* Aldila HL Stiff
Cobra Baffler SZ Hybrid Utility 20* Aldila HL Stiff
Mizuno MX-23 4-PW Irons S300 Dynalite Golf Stiff shafts
Cleveland CG 52* Gap Wedge
Cleveland Gunmetal 56* Sand Wedge
Odyssey 2 Ball Center shaft Putter Tour Filled and Trilined 35"

Miles
08-13-2005, 09:47 PM
How do you like your MX-23's? Mizuno makes some really nice irons.

Herzig
08-13-2005, 09:52 PM

Just got them. They are still "virgins"....brand spankin new...I don't usually buy "New" clubs, but I got a good deal on these. I will deflower them tomorrow. I have hit some with the same specs a buddy of mine owns at the range and they were like butter.

Herzig
08-13-2005, 09:58 PM

Go to this page and scroll down to the "9 iron 360 degree" view and click on it. They also have one for a 3 iron. Pretty cool.

http://www.mizunousa.com/equipment.nsf/AllProduct/AEB21A3B3497409B85256EC300677DAB?opendocument#

kcjayhawks5
08-13-2005, 10:01 PM
i just bought a 40$ golden bear driver :-)

Miles
08-13-2005, 10:15 PM
Go to this page and scroll down to the "9 iron 360 degree" view and click on it. They also have one for a 3 iron. Pretty cool.

http://www.mizunousa.com/equipment.nsf/AllProduct/AEB21A3B3497409B85256EC300677DAB?opendocument#

Those are some great looking irons. I imagine the ball action/spin is much better than your I3's. Id love to hear a follow-up when you get some rounds on them.

I was really close to picking up some MP-30's about a year ago but decided to stick with my more forgiving ISI's since I dont get to play all that often. I definity regret that decesion whenever im striking the ball well.

Herzig
08-13-2005, 10:30 PM
Those are some great looking irons. I imagine the ball action/spin is much better than your I3's. Id love to hear a follow-up when you get some rounds on them.

I was really close to picking up some MP-30's about a year ago but decided to stick with my more forgiving ISI's since I dont get to play all that often. I definity regret that decesion whenever im striking the ball well.

Will do. Those MP 30's are sweet too. I wonder if Philfree ever got those Mizuno MP 32's he was talking about..

They are coming out with the MP 60 cut muscle irons soon.

luv
08-13-2005, 10:41 PM
Sorry, but that subject line reminds me of a story. I'm a female, but I'll TRY to keep it short. I volunteer at our company's Relay For Life team's annual golf tourney each year. This past year, one of our VP's was stuffing a bunch of balls into his golf bag before we got started. He said, "Man, I'll be carrying like 20 lbs worth of balls today." I replied, "Dream on." We both laughed. Another employee that was there said, "I can't believe you just said that to him!" He said, "I can." Outside of work, this particular VP is only 29 or 30 years old and a likable guy. Different story at work usually, but he knows when to have a sense of humor. Okay, end of story. It would be funnier if you had been there.

tommykat
08-13-2005, 11:27 PM

Cobra 400 SZ Aldila HM Tour 60 9*
Cobra SZ 3 Wood
Cobra SZ 5 Wood
Ping I/3 Blades black dot 4-PW
Cleveland Gunmetal 588 49* and 56* Wedges
Cleveland CG 52* Gap
Odyssey 2 Ball White Steel heel shaft 34 inch putter

Backup

Cleveland Launcher 460 10.5 Aldila NV
Adams GT 3 and 5 woods
Ping S59's Black dot 3-PW*(SOLD)
Several other Cleveland Wedges of various lofts
About 5 other putters

Dang Herzig can I crawl in your bag? You have everything!!! And I mean golf all.....

Herzig
08-14-2005, 06:54 AM
Sorry, but that subject line reminds me of a story. I'm a female, but I'll TRY to keep it short. I volunteer at our company's Relay For Life team's annual golf tourney each year. This past year, one of our VP's was stuffing a bunch of balls into his golf bag before we got started. He said, "Man, I'll be carrying like 20 lbs worth of balls today." I replied, "Dream on." We both laughed. Another employee that was there said, "I can't believe you just said that to him!" He said, "I can." Outside of work, this particular VP is only 29 or 30 years old and a likable guy. Different story at work usually, but he knows when to have a sense of humor. Okay, end of story. It would be funnier if you had been there.

I can see where that would be funny. The game of golf is full of sexual inuendos(shafts, grips, pulled it, balls, etc) Reminds me of golfing with my cousin and 87 year old Grandfather this summer. A neighbor of his that had taken up golf in 80's then quit playing, unfortunately had passed away. His widow gave my Grandpa all of his old equipment including these 25 year old Maxfli DDH balls. So, he keeps telling us how old these balls are...and my cousin nicknamed him "Old Balls" for the entire round. Couldn't help but laugh.. Kind of fit dontcha think?

Herzig
08-14-2005, 06:58 AM
Dang Herzig can I crawl in your bag? You have everything!!! And I mean golf all.....

There's a joke here teed up for me but I'll leave it alone. I have more than the average/most golfers for sure, but I try to sell my "older" clubs while they still have value. Most of time, I get good deals, so the drop off when I sell them is very little if anything at all. At times I make money, but most of the time I lose a little.

yeti
08-14-2005, 08:07 AM
I can see where that would be funny. The game of golf is full of sexual inuendos(shafts, grips, pulled it, balls, etc) Reminds me of golfing with my cousin and 87 year old Grandfather this summer. A neighbor of his that had taken up golf in 80's then quit playing, unfortunately had passed away. His widow gave my Grandpa all of his old equipment including these 25 year old Maxfli DDH balls. So, he keeps telling us how old these balls are...and my cousin nicknamed him "Old Balls" for the entire round. Couldn't help but laugh.. Kind of fit dontcha think?

ROFL I play golf just for the jokes. That's great.

arrowheadnation
08-14-2005, 11:36 AM
I'm a club ho....but I've only purchased one new club in the past year...I bought my putter last week. I played an Oddyssey White Hot 2ball before it and could never get the distance down pat.

Titleist 983K 9.5 deg. w/ stiff 652 Speeder shaft
Cleveland Launcher 3 wood w/ dynamic gold s300 shaft (steel)
Acer 2001 5 wood graphite head and graphite shaft (I keep it cuz I like the big head)
Nike Blades 3-PW
Nike Forged SW 53 deg.
Titleist Vokey LW 60 deg.
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2
ProV1x balls.

paulgkc
08-14-2005, 02:09 PM
Ping ISI 10* Driver.
Adams Tight Lies 16* Wood.
Precept Tour Premium CB Irons 3-PW.
Vokey Chrome Finish 60*
Vokey Oil Can Finish 54*
Old Odyssey Putter Dual Force 990.
Pro V1 X's.

Herzig
08-16-2005, 11:58 PM

Here's those new Mizuno MP-60 Cut Muscle irons...they are sweet looking..

Miles
08-17-2005, 06:00 AM
Here's those new Mizuno MP-60 Cut Muscle irons...they are sweet looking..

Those are some good looking clubs. Wonder how hard they are to handle on an off day?

After checking some prices on ebay I think I am going to finally change my irons after having them for over 8 years. Right now I am leaning towards the Titleist 704.cb and geting a 19* 503h to replace my 2-iron.

I am still considering the Titleist 690cb and Mizuno MP-30 but I think they may not be forgiving enough since I dont really get to play consistantly.

Herzig
08-17-2005, 06:16 AM
Those are some good looking clubs. Wonder how hard they are to handle on an off day?

After checking some prices on ebay I think I am going to finally change my irons after having them for over 8 years. Right now I am leaning towards the Titleist 704.cb and geting a 19* 503h to replace my 2-iron.

I am still considering the Titleist 690cb and Mizuno MP-30 but I think they may not be forgiving enough since I dont really get to play consistantly.

I have 2 friends that have the 704's and love them. Those Mizuno's I have are sweet.

Here's a good place for user reviews of clubs..
http://www.golfreview.com/cat/irons/Titleist/PRD_321859_2940crx.aspx

http://www.golfreview.com/cat/irons/Mizuno/PRD_299073_2940crx.aspx

Herzig
08-17-2005, 10:25 AM
bump for Miles

Miles
08-17-2005, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the review links. I was looking for something just like that.

For some reason Mizuno's are not at all popular around here so I cant find any demo's for the MX-23 or MP-30. About the only place that I have found them for sale is golfsmith.

I hit the 704s on Monday and was really impressed. They were a great balance of feel and forgivingness.

StcChief
08-17-2005, 11:13 AM
Dusty old clubs (Burke)

Herzig
08-17-2005, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the review links. I was looking for something just like that.

For some reason Mizuno's are not at all popular around here so I cant find any demo's for the MX-23 or MP-30. About the only place that I have found them for sale is golfsmith.

I hit the 704s on Monday and was really impressed. They were a great balance of feel and forgivingness.

It's a good site...the reviews are from real people...so they are somewhat objective. Mizuno's aren't real popular here either. The 704's should come down in price with the 735's coming out soon. You should be able to get a set on ebay for about 300 or so.

Miles
08-17-2005, 08:59 PM
It's a good site...the reviews are from real people...so they are somewhat objective. Mizuno's aren't real popular here either. The 704's should come down in price with the 735's coming out soon. You should be able to get a set on ebay for about 300 or so.

I ended buying some 704's on ebay earlier today. I got a new set of 3-PW w/ S300 dynamic gold shafts for $400 shipped and they should get here by the weekend. Hopefully i will get enough out of my ISI's to come close to breaking even.

Im really looking foward to these. I have wanted a set of forged irons since I was in highschool. Now I just need to hunt down a deal on a 503H and im set for a while...at least until the titleist 904 fairway woods get cheaper;)

WilliamTheIrish
08-17-2005, 11:52 PM
Boyce remove your post from this thread...

You asshat.

WilliamTheIrish
08-18-2005, 07:04 PM
Yesterday I was cruising to work with some time to spare and happened upon the local Golf Galaxy in Olathe.

The Wilson Staff demo van was there and I stopped in to see what they were promoting these days.

After a few minutes gabbing with their pro (Larry) discussing the many problems of my golf game, he put one of their new hybrid 3 irons in my hands.

Amazing is all I can say. I have spent lots of money at the range trying to figure out how to hit the 3 and 4 iron. I have my days where I can drill the occasional shot low and hard but most of the time I struggle to hit the sweet spot.
Lately though, I have discovered how to hit a low bending shot that comes in handy when punching out from under trees and whatnot. My biggest problem at this point is hitting a good shot from the short rough. I don't have a high swing speed, (87-92 on the launch monitor) so when I'm in the rough and I have to blast out, I can't seem to hit down hard enough to blast the ball out. I get the ball out but if it goes 60 yards I'm ecstatic.

Enter the Wilson hybrid 3I. I hit on the launch monitor with a nice easy swing almost 180 yards. Low trajectory and lotsa roll. The weight is in the back so it helps get through the grass and into the ball to launch it.
So thye took my specs and built it and I take it to the range in Lenexa and immediately go to the high grass to see if I duplicate what I had been doing on the launch monitor.
I did. Wasn't hitting it as far, (165-175) but it was straight and low.

I can't wait to hit this thing on Sunday when my brothers are with me.

joesomebody
08-18-2005, 07:07 PM
I use circa 1970s or early 80s Spalding tour edition... I'm sure they were nice in their prime, but they are crap... i golf maybe on average twice a month and am horrible... so they suit me... the best part is my golf bag is this old ratty leather one.

I'm quite confident my clubs and bag are older than I am...

I still enjoy them though, and at least my driver isn't as big as a bowling ball...

Skip Towne
08-18-2005, 07:15 PM
Yesterday I was cruising to work with some time to spare and happened upon the local Golf Galaxy in Olathe.

The Wilson Staff demo van was there and I stopped in to see what they were promoting these days.

After a few minutes gabbing with their pro (Larry) discussing the many problems of my golf game, he put one of their new hybrid 3 irons in my hands.

Amazing is all I can say. I have spent lots of money at the range trying to figure out how to hit the 3 and 4 iron. I have my days where I can drill the occasional shot low and hard but most of the time I struggle to hit the sweet spot.
Lately though, I have discovered how to hit a low bending shot that comes in handy when punching out from under trees and whatnot. My biggest problem at this point is hitting a good shot from the short rough. I don't have a high swing speed, (87-92 on the launch monitor) so when I'm in the rough and I have to blast out, I can't seem to hit down hard enough to blast the ball out. I get the ball out but if it goes 60 yards I'm ecstatic.

Enter the Wilson hybrid 3I. I hit on the launch monitor with a nice easy swing almost 180 yards. Low trajectory and lotsa roll. The weight is in the back so it helps get through the grass and into the ball to launch it.
So thye took my specs and built it and I take it to the range in Lenexa and immediately go to the high grass to see if I duplicate what I had been doing on the launch monitor.

Don't worry, it will be gone by then. You'll be f*cking it up just like the rest of your clubs.

Stinger
08-18-2005, 07:25 PM

Sweet. :thumb: Hybrids are the best, I am probably going to break down and get the titlest hybrid next week. For me it was between the Callaway and the Titlest The only real difference was I was able to keep the Titlest on a little lower trajectory, that and I like it around the greens alot more. Yes I said around the greens. :D A shot that more pros and amateurs are using with their hybrids, that is actually a easy one. If you have a front pin say 4 to 15 paces on and you are 2 - 10 yards off the green, and you dont feel comfortable with your chip or your putter, try bring out your hybrid and using it like a putter. It may take a little practice to get the feel and speed, but once you get the feel you will love it. And that is another shot or weapon in you arsenal. :)

Herzig
08-18-2005, 07:43 PM
Sweet. :thumb: Hybrids are the best, I am probably going to break down and get the titlest hybrid next week. For me it was between the Callaway and the Titlest The only real difference was I was able to keep the Titlest on a little lower trajectory, that and I like it around the greens alot more. Yes I said around the greens. :D A shot that more pros and amateurs are using with their hybrids, that is actually a easy one. If you have a front pin say 4 to 15 paces on and you are 2 - 10 yards off the green, and you dont feel comfortable with your chip or your putter, try bring out your hybrid and using it like a putter. It may take a little practice to get the feel and speed, but once you get the feel you will love it. And that is another shot or weapon in you arsenal. :)

Agreed. Hybrids are so versatile. Before you get the Titleist, you might try the Sonartec MD hybrid....more expensive...but a nice club. I have 2 Cobra Baffler SZ hybrids and I love them. Cobra is owned by Titleist...just FYI...

Stinger
08-18-2005, 07:46 PM
Agreed. Hybrids are so versatile. Before you get the Titleist, you might try the Sonartec MD hybrid....more expensive...but a nice club. I have 2 Cobra Baffler SZ hybrids and I love them. Cobra is owned by Titleist...just FYI...

Thanks for the heads up will try see about demoing one this weekend.

Phobia
08-18-2005, 07:48 PM
If you have a front pin say 4 to 15 paces on and you are 2 - 10 yards off the green, and you dont feel comfortable with your chip or your putter, try bring out your hybrid and using it like a putter. It may take a little practice to get the feel and speed, but once you get the feel you will love it. And that is another shot or weapon in you arsenal. :)

You've just described the bulk of my 5 iron's work.

WilliamTheIrish
08-18-2005, 09:07 PM

Sounds sweet. I usually use a 7i, but I can't get the feel of that shot. I practice that shot a lot but when it comes time to use it, I blast by the hole most of the time.

Miles
08-18-2005, 09:46 PM

If you are looking for the titleist they are geting pretty cheap on ebay. If you are patient enough to wait for a deal they can be had for around $60 for the dynamic gold and 80 for the Aldila NV.

The reason i prefer the 503h to the other hybrids is that it plays more like a 2 iron than a fairway wood. It may not be quite as easy to hit but it has a lower trajectory and is a bit straighter on mishits.

philfree
08-18-2005, 10:20 PM
I was gonna re-tool this summer but I never got around to it. The MP-14s and the TZoids are still in the bag. I did change putters though. I was putting awful and I kept saying I was gonna change putters but I kept procrastinating. One day though I had multiple 3-putts and missed several other putts I should have made. As I walked off the 18th I saw some hardpan and thrashed the putter to the ground with the intent of breaking it. It broke and as I picked it up I said to the guys in my group "now I have to change". I've putted much better since. :shrug:

That pro platinum was and expensive putter but the ping zing 2 has been bombing them in.

WilliamTheIrish
08-19-2005, 06:06 PM
So I'm hanging around The Golf Stop today.....

killin' time before work when I tumble into the Ben Hogan 1i hybrid. Anybody hit this? Why a 1i hybrid? It looks great. Feels real good and all but what club is it supposed to repalce.

BTW, I took mine out today and two long par 3's (178 and 165) I hit my new 3i hybrid.
On the 165 yarder I was pin high but 20 feet left.

On the 178 yards I killed it and landed about 6 feet shy and just left of the pin.

I love this club.

Miles
08-19-2005, 08:25 PM
So I'm hanging around The Golf Stop today.....

killin' time before work when I tumble into the Ben Hogan 1i hybrid. Anybody hit this? Why a 1i hybrid? It looks great. Feels real good and all but what club is it supposed to repalce.

I think a traditional 1-iron is about 16* of loft. So I guess that hybrid is roughly about the same a 4 wood or weak 3 wood.

Herzig
03-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Seeing the topic brought up...I figured I'd update my bag

Ping G5 Driver 9* TFC Stiff shaft
Ping Rapture 5 Wood 17* TFC Stiff shaft
Ping G5 Hybrids 19* & 22* TFC Stiff shaft
Ping i5 Irons 4-PW ZZ65
Cleveland 588 50* Gap
Cleveland 588 56* Sand Wedge
Oydessey 34" Two Ball Putter tour filled and trilined