PDA

View Full Version : 3rd round: Wanna second-guess?

Rain Man
04-24-2005, 10:02 PM
Last one. You're an intern, and just for grins Carl decides to let you make our third-round draft pick. Who do you take?

Manila-Chief
04-24-2005, 11:40 PM
I like this pick, coz as DV said, "You have to get your kicker one round ahead of where you think they will go" (or something like that) ... Remember we lost a K from Iowa last year coz he went a round early? We certainly need a punter. As DV said ... most likely he will be a starter this year. I said I wouldn't bash C.P. but normally it takes a while for a 3rd. round choice to get on the field ... if he ever gets there.

When I read about him and the fact someone else beat him out of the kicking award in 2004, I was wondering why not wait and get the guy who got the award ... the one who had a better average. We want the best!!!

Then, it hit me that it is about the team ... about net yards ... about pining the other team back near the goal line .... about directional kicking ... about hang time ... all those things doesn't give a kicker a great average but it helps win games.

Last night I talked with one of our business managers who watched him punt in Knoxville last year while he was on Stateside assignment. He talked about the high hanging kicks. And one game the opposition called a time out near the half coz they though they would get excellent field position ... he kicked about a 60 yard kick and the team just took a knee.

Been different if there was a sleeper with great potential on the board.

I hear some of you saying ... with our O we only kick 2 or 3 times a year.... go back and check your stats. Even the best O have drives that stall.

Also, if this guy can do a coffin corner kick, it will give DV more choices when a drive stalls and it would be a long field goal try ... pin the team near the goal and get the ball back in great field position.

I like the pick ... and I'm certainly not a homer!!!

Count Alex's Losses
04-24-2005, 11:41 PM
I still have hope for Nick Murphy, so I'd have rather seen Kyle Orton get drafted.

ChiefsCountry
04-24-2005, 11:42 PM
I would have took Colquitt. I have been pimping him as our 3rd round pick for a long time. And I called it yesterday! :)