PDA

View Full Version : Prayer Request.

WebGem
04-24-2005, 10:01 PM
My brother is 17, his name is Daniel..goes by Danny. He recently had a very bad virus attack him. He was throwing up non-stop for about 4-5 days. Then, he seemed fine..just like somebody after they have the flu. This was a couple weeks ago, then a few days ago he started feeling numbness so my parents took him to the doctor, and they said that he may have some "syndrome" that could eventually leave him paralyzed. I found this out after class when I called my dad..who was crying. I had never heard my dad cry in my life..he's always seemed really close to my brother for some reason though. That night he was admitted to the hospital and started to get weaker and weaker. The last time I saw him was yesterday, as I left he was walking to go take a piss. Now, he can't stand up nor can he make any movement with his arms. All he can do is "clap" his legs/knees together very slowly while laying down. This morning or afternoon they diagnosed him with Guillain-Barre Syndrome. The link below is a short description of the disease. The pain was getting better today after my mom forced the doctor to give him morphine. He recently started feeling pain his chest though, which scares me that it may interfere with him breathing. I'm going there right now, I'm gonna try to see if I can pick him some stand up comedy by Chris Rock on the way..figured that might help. I figured the most important thing is that he believes that he can beat the disease, and that his friends/family do as well. I hope to God he's alright.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/gbs/gbs.htm

Goodnight and Go Chiefs.

Bwana
04-24-2005, 10:08 PM
Sorry to hear that. The best of luck to him and your family.

Coach
04-24-2005, 10:10 PM
Damn man, that sucks. My prayers are with you and the family.

Rain Man
04-24-2005, 10:12 PM
Wow. I hope he has a quick recovery.

Claynus
04-24-2005, 10:15 PM
I just read the description and that is horrible. Best wishes.

KCJake
04-24-2005, 10:20 PM
That's terrible. :(

big nasty kcnut
04-24-2005, 10:32 PM
I'm praying for your brother. Just believe in who you believe in and have faith that he'll feel better.

Earthling
04-24-2005, 10:40 PM
Deepest heatfelt sympathys to you and yours...Hope conditions improve.

jAZ
04-24-2005, 10:44 PM
Hey man, I wish your brother (and your family) all the best in dealing with this.

Frazod
04-24-2005, 10:47 PM
I wish you and your family the best. I hope your brother beats this thing.

Pants
04-24-2005, 10:48 PM
Wow man, you got my thoughts and prayers. I really wish with all my heart your bro starts feeling better soon.

KC Jones
04-24-2005, 10:53 PM
May god bless and watch over your brother and your family. From reading about the disease on the link you posted it sounds like there should be great hope for your brother to recover. Take care.

Phobia
04-24-2005, 10:56 PM
At least there is a diagnosis. That's a start. Best wishes to you and your family.

TheChiefofSoCal
04-24-2005, 10:58 PM
My husband just shared your post with me. We had never heard of the syndrome your brother, Danny, is facing either until a friend battled with it last year (2004). Over the course of one month, our friend (Jill) became completely paralyzed. Because this syndrome is a virus, there are no medications to fight it. However, Jill did recover! It took eight long months for the virus to work its way through her body. Although fully recovered from the syndrome, it has taken extensive physical therapy and leg braces for Jill to assume her normal life again. With time and work, she will make a full recovery! Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family! We will be praying for Danny, too! Besides our prayers, may we offer this simple advice. While Jill was hospitalized for those eight months, daily physical therapy was VERY important...someone will need to massage, move, manipulate and excercise your brother's limbs EVERY day! Monitor the hospital to assure that this is getting done...as we experienced the opposite. God Bless!

Mr. Kotter
04-24-2005, 10:59 PM
I'm so sorry for you and your family. Hang in there.

God Bless.

Pants
04-24-2005, 11:00 PM
My husband just shared your post with me. We had never heard of the syndrome your brother, Danny, is facing either until a friend battled with it last year (2004). Over the course of one month, our friend (Jill) became completely paralyzed. Because this syndrome is a virus, there are no medications to fight it. However, Jill did recover! It took eight long months for the virus to work its way through her body. Although fully recovered from the syndrome, it has taken extensive physical therapy and leg braces for Jill to assume her normal life again. With time and work, she will make a full recovery! Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family! We will be praying for Danny, too! Besides our prayers, may we offer this simple advice. While Jill was hospitalized for those eight months, daily physical therapy was VERY important...someone will need to massage, move, manipulate and excercise your brother's limbs EVERY day! Monitor the hospital to assure that this is getting done...as we experienced the opposite. God Bless!

Very nice post. IMO, hope is the best medicine in this situation.

Phobia
04-24-2005, 11:53 PM

Nice post. Thanks for sharing.

There's somebody on this board who knows something about every conceivable topic. It never ceases to amaze me.

WebGem
04-25-2005, 12:24 AM
Thanks a ton for this post. I'll be sure to share it with my parents who will be there most of the time. It's good to hear that your friend Jill fully recovered from the syndrome. I have one question for you: How long was it before Jill left the hospital and actually lived at home? Right now they are saying he should be able to go home in a couple days, which seems good..and a little scary. I don't know if that's even possible or not either, I figured they might just be saying that. I really have no clue about the whole situation when I think about it, one week ago I had no idea you could practically just wake up one day and be paralyzed..which is what it seems like. I just got back from the hospital. They have given him morphine four times already now, he was asleep when I got there and my dad didn't want to wake him so I didn't actually go in the room. I took him some Adam Sandler CD's, hopefully that will cheer him up.

TheChiefofSoCal
04-25-2005, 12:46 AM
I'm glad my wife's reply was helpful.I don't know as much as her about Jill's situation,but I do know her condition was contributed to by the flu shot she recieved.It seems she had the virus in her system when she got her shot witch made the situation worse.I belive she was in the hospital fully paralyzed for months.I'm glad to hear that Dannys outlook is much better.Best Wishes to you and yours!I will keep a look out for for any info I can pass on.

Logical
04-25-2005, 12:47 AM
My deepest sympathy, I pray he gets well with a full recovery.

go bowe
04-25-2005, 01:41 AM
here's to a speedy recovery for your brother... :toast:

ENDelt260
04-25-2005, 02:22 AM
That sounds terrible, man. Best wishes to your brother and the rest of your family.

ENDelt260
04-25-2005, 02:27 AM
Once again the wealth of knowledge in the Planet amazes me. A relative of a poster gets a rare disease, and there's someone else here that knows about it already. This place is truly amazing.

While the prayers and well wishes are important, advice like this is equally invaluable, IMO.

FloridaChief
04-25-2005, 02:56 AM
Sad to hear. I read a book about 10 years ago called "No Laughing Matter". It was written by Joseph Heller and details his ordeal after being diagnosed with G-B syndrome in the 1980's. Your brother has a long road to recovery ahead of him. My thoughts go out to your entire family.

Herzig
04-25-2005, 05:18 AM
Prayers sent to your brother, family, and friends. Hang in there.

Skip Towne
04-25-2005, 05:29 AM
Best wishes to your brother.

cdcox
04-25-2005, 05:43 AM
I pray for a rapid recovery for your brother and strength for your family in dealing with this disease. God bless.

JOhn
04-25-2005, 05:56 AM
DOne, It's especially tough when it's someone so young.

ExtremeChief
04-25-2005, 06:06 AM
done and good luck

petegz28
04-25-2005, 06:23 AM
My prayers are with you and your family. Be strong for your bro!

Gaz
04-25-2005, 06:39 AM
A friend of mine had the same syndrome and made a full recovery. It was a long recovery, but he is back to full health.

I hope the same for your brother.

xoxo~
Gaz
Sending good thoughts.

Dartgod
04-25-2005, 07:07 AM
Most patients, however, recover from even the most severe cases of Guillain-Barré
This is the most important part that I read. Best of luck to your brother in his recovery.

Allow me to add a bit of light-hearted humor. If I offend you, my apologies in advance. Having met you this past year, I'm assuming you'll get a chuckle out of it.
I had never heard my dad cry in my life..he's always seemed really close to my brother for some reason though.
It's probably because you've always been such a disappointment to him.

ROYC75
04-25-2005, 07:39 AM
Give him our best and we wish him a speedy recovery.

Loki
04-25-2005, 08:00 AM
best of luck to danny.

i hope they can figure out a way to help him beat this disease.

CrazyHorse
04-25-2005, 08:14 AM
Hoping for the best. Hope your bro pulls through.

BIG_DADDY
04-25-2005, 10:02 AM
MAn that really sucks, we will definately keep him in our prayers.

Nzoner
04-25-2005, 10:16 AM
Thoughts are with you and yours,hang in there.

RedNFeisty
04-25-2005, 10:18 AM
Will do.

tommykat
04-25-2005, 10:27 AM
I am so sorry.....your brother is in my prayers as well as you and your family. I pray God will help your brother recover quickly.

Manila-Chief
04-25-2005, 10:45 AM
Encouraging news! Makes praying more hopeful. Just prayed for Danny, you, and especially for your parents. Tough times ahead and you need God's presence.

Frankie
04-25-2005, 11:10 AM
Hopefully our collective thoughts and prayers can help. You, Danny and your parents certainly have mine. He is young and hopefully a fighter. Here's to Danny and his ability to beat this. :toast:

bogie
04-25-2005, 11:37 AM
This is tough, tough news. Sending out positives thoughts for your brother.

chiefs4me
04-25-2005, 12:09 PM
I am so sorry for the pain and heartache you and your family are going thru right now. My prayers are going out to you and may God Bless your family.

Lzen
04-25-2005, 01:27 PM
Our prayers are with you. Sounds like you're a great brother and are doing what you can to help keep his spirits up.

badgirl
04-25-2005, 01:30 PM
I will keep your brother and your family in prayer, I hope he makes a full recovery, hes young, encourage him daily and if hes a fighter he may be able to come out of it. I beleive being in a positive state of mind and truely helps with recoveries. I've saw too many people give up and not try to get better, so encourage and stay positive for your brother and he will do the same.

Calcountry
04-25-2005, 01:33 PM
Done, may all be well with you are your family.

LiL stumppy
04-25-2005, 02:37 PM
I knew someone that had a rare virus hit him like that.

Jenny Gump
04-25-2005, 02:57 PM
My prayers are with you and your brother. FWIW, my cousin (strapping young healthy man of 28) developed Guillian Barre. He was on a ventilator for almost a week, but he recovered fully. Many people do. I hope all turns out well for you and your family.

ChiefRick
04-25-2005, 03:10 PM
I'm a Baptist deacon (not to mention a big Chiefs fan), and I will pray for your brother. The fact that I'm a Baptist deacon doesn't give me any special status, but I know God gives me strength through His Holy Spirit that I can really feel(not because I'm a deacon but because I have accepted his offer of forgiveness through Christ). It's not guesswork. I would just like to say... May your entire family trust in the one true way, Jesus Christ. God bless you for having the courage to ask for prayer for your brother!!!

Inspector
04-25-2005, 08:56 PM
Prayers....check.

Best wishes.....check.

Take care of your brother and your family. Hope his recovery is quick and full.

Dallas Chief
04-25-2005, 09:15 PM
God Bless your brother, you and your family. I'll keep you all in my prayers...

Best wishes.

WebGem
04-25-2005, 09:17 PM
If I offend you, my apologies in advance. Having met you this past year, I'm assuming you'll get a chuckle out of it.

It's probably because you've always been such a disappointment to him.
:LOL:

Offend me? Nah, not at all. Just please try your best not to put any money on Denver to win the Super Bowl this year.

I just got back from the hospital. His friends showed up today and brought him some stuff. He's still about the same. He's really weak, but I guess that's normal. I'm sure his friends coming cheered him up as much as possible.

Phobia
04-25-2005, 10:31 PM
Keep us abreast of your brother's progress, 5840.

WebGem
04-25-2005, 11:00 PM
Keep us abreast of your brother's progress, 5840.
I will.

WebGem
01-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Well this is a random bump, but I was looking at old threads for some reason and I realized I never did an update here. My brother did in fact make it out of this okay. He was in the hospital for about 40 days total. It got worse and worse and eventually he was completely paralyzed from the neck down for about a week of it (a week in until two weeks in) and then slowly progressed from there. After he got out of the hospital he had to do some sort of therapy where someone taught him how to walk again.

About a year or so afterwards he began to have the same feeling as the beginning of the first time and spent a night in the hospital but it went away. He has been fine ever since. He's turning 23 next month and living in Chicago now and just had his first child 8 days ago. It's a boy.

Buck
01-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Well this is a random bump, but I was looking at old threads for some reason and I realized I never did an update here. My brother did in fact make it out of this okay. He was in the hospital for about 40 days total. It got worse and worse and eventually he was completely paralyzed from the neck down for about a week of it (a week in until two weeks in) and then slowly progressed from there. After he got out of the hospital he had to do some sort of therapy where someone taught him how to walk again.

About a year or so afterwards he began to have the same feeling as the beginning of the first time and spent a night in the hospital but it went away. He has been fine ever since. He's turning 23 next month and living in Chicago now and just had his first child 8 days ago. It's a boy.

Awesome.

Frankie
01-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Awesomer.

kysirsoze
01-04-2011, 09:16 PM

Dude! This thing took me on an emotional rollercoaster! I didn't realize it was a bump until I saw Logical post so you got some extra prayers "just cuz.":thumb:

Glad to hear everything has turned out so well!

threebag02
01-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Great good to hear

Mr. Flopnuts
01-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Right on man. Hopefully he won the Mega Millions tonight and will buy you a Mercedes.

kysirsoze
01-04-2011, 09:57 PM
Dude! This thing took me on an emotional rollercoaster! I didn't realize it was a bump until I saw Logical post so you got some extra prayers "just cuz.":thumb:

Glad to hear everything has turned out so well!

On second thought, I should have known something was up when you referenced Chris Rock stand-up. No way this thread could have been made later than 2006.

Rain Man
01-04-2011, 11:03 PM
What the - I've been sending you books on tape for him for six years. What have you been doing with them?

jAZ
01-04-2011, 11:17 PM

That is the most amazing medical story I've heard of. Great news!

KILLER_CLOWN
01-04-2011, 11:22 PM
Wow the Lord does work incredible miracles, I am happy to hear everything is ok Chiefsfan5840. This post was deemed better late than never. :)