PDA

View Full Version : Dan Pompei gives the Chiefs an A

htismaqe
04-25-2005, 06:51 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3566742?GT1=6335

Kansas City Chiefs: A

Linebacker Derrick Johnson was a tremendous value. The Chiefs did a nice job filling needs, and they got a Pro Bowl corner, Patrick Surtain, for their second-round pick.

keg in kc
04-25-2005, 06:54 AM
I'm wondering this morning if some of the negative grades we've gotten have more to do with the antagonstic attitude of the FO towards the media than the actual picks. I mean, seriously, we've had drafts which looked much, much worse the day of that didn't get graded as roughly as this one. Hell, a lot of the guys critical of the Johnson pick had him rated in their top 10 going in.

KevB
04-25-2005, 06:56 AM
I'm wondering this morning if some of the negative grades we've gotten have more to do with the antagonstic attitude of the FO towards the media than the actual picks. I mean, seriously, we've had drafts which looked much, much worse the day of that didn't get graded as roughly as this one.

It's something other than the picks. There is no more harsh critic of the Chiefs than this board, and all in all, I think most of us are quite pleased at this point.

jeffrho68
04-25-2005, 07:02 AM
I'm suprised at these C and D grades we've been getting from the "experts". I think this is one of the best drafts we've had in a long, long time.

jspchief
04-25-2005, 07:10 AM
Beyond Johnson, our draft was pretty mediocre.

Colquitt was the best punter available in the draft, but it's still using a 3rd round pick on a punter.

Thorpe was good value in the 4th, with a ton of upside. But he's also a question mark. If he doesn't return to his '03 form, he won't be worth much in the end.

Grigsby sounds like he could give us ST help right away, but I think a lot of Chiefs fans have put this guy on a bit of a pedestal due to his personality in post draft interviews. I'm sure there are pundits that believe he would have been available with our later 5th, or maybe beyond.

Hodge is a fast guy, but beyond that there doesn't appear to be much more to him.

After that, the only pick with any potential IMO is Parquett. Svitek may develop into a good run blocker in our scheme since he appears to be pretty mobile. Kahri Long is a bigtime WTF (I'm sure she'll be good camp fodder). Kilian was taken ahead of guys that had more production in college.

Overall it was an A+++ for the first two rounds (I'm counting Surtain), and about a C+ for the rest.

Chiefnj
04-25-2005, 07:43 AM

Colquitt was the best punter available in the draft, but it's still using a 3rd round pick on a punter.

Thorpe was good value in the 4th, with a ton of upside. But he's also a question mark. If he doesn't return to his '03 form, he won't be worth much in the end.

Grigsby sounds like he could give us ST help right away, but I think a lot of Chiefs fans have put this guy on a bit of a pedestal due to his personality in post draft interviews. I'm sure there are pundits that believe he would have been available with our later 5th, or maybe beyond.

Hodge is a fast guy, but beyond that there doesn't appear to be much more to him.

After that, the only pick with any potential IMO is Parquett. Svitek may develop into a good run blocker in our scheme since he appears to be pretty mobile. Kahri Long is a bigtime WTF (I'm sure she'll be good camp fodder). Kilian was taken ahead of guys that had more production in college.

Overall it was an A+++ for the first two rounds (I'm counting Surtain), and about a C+ for the rest.

I'm in 100% agreement.

whoman69
04-25-2005, 08:01 AM
If it were just for the 6th and 7th rounds, I'd have to give an F. They went for some big time projects there for guys who don't even show up on most boards. I'll give an overall grade of B, but that's because I'm a hardass. None of this grading on a curve for me.

Hoover
04-25-2005, 08:08 AM
I think the grade would have been totaly different if we would have kept our 2nd round pick.

They loook at day one, then day 2. DJ, and a punter and they say its so so. As fans we say DJ, Surtain and a Punter and we say its Wonderful.

I'm sure if we didn't swing the Surtain deal and drafted DJ, Matt Roth and a Punter they would have given us a B.

As for the 2nd day picks the 4th and 5th round picks were as good as they could have been. Does Mel effin Kieper have a scouting department?

I guess the Chiefs should have reached on a troublem spoiled brat running back to get some good press this weekend....

KCChiefsFan88
04-25-2005, 08:52 AM
The so called "experts" who are grading the Chiefs draft low aren't taking into consideration the fact that the Chiefs used their 2nd round pick to get a Pro Bowl, shutdown CB.

Sure the bottom of the Chiefs draft was unimpressive, but when you consider the Chiefs top 3 picks went towards player who should all be impact starters next season, and the first 2 players selected on Day 2 should be able to contribute to special teams and add depth to positions the Chiefs need depth, I'd say it was a very successful draft.

ILWarpaint
04-25-2005, 09:01 AM
Carlos Hall and John Welbourne should be included in this draft as well.

1punkyQB
04-25-2005, 09:07 AM
One of my old Lindy's football annuals gave the Eagles '98 draft a C. They picked 4 future Pro Bowlers - Tra Thomas, Jeremiah Trotter, Allen Rossum, and Ike Reese (the latter two as STers). Must be nice to make predictions no one will remember, unless they need bathroom reading.

ck_IN
04-25-2005, 09:08 AM
I'd give it a B personally. Getting Johnson looks great but then they go and draft a punter in the 3rd. *shaking head*

They did at least address WR and some other problem areas so outside of the 3rd round choice it wasn't a typical DV magical mystery draft.

Ultra Peanut
04-25-2005, 09:18 AM
I'm sure there are pundits that believe he would have been available with our later 5th, or maybe beyond.I'm sure most pundits had no idea who the **** he was, just like most of us.

Ultra Peanut
04-25-2005, 09:22 AM
They went for some big time projects there for guys who don't even show up on most boards.

After that, the only pick with any potential IMO is Parquett. Svitek may develop into a good run blocker in our scheme since he appears to be pretty mobile. Kahri Long is a bigtime WTF (I'm sure she'll be good camp fodder). Kilian was taken ahead of guys that had more production in college.Long was definitely a WTF, but I like Svitek's potential and think Parquet has a pretty decent chance to become, at worst, a player who can contribute a little bit to the team. As for Kilian, well, throw a lot of the guys who had more production than him in college on that Tulsa team and see what they do. One Tulsa fan claimed he willed that 2003 team to a bowl.

keg in kc
04-25-2005, 09:29 AM
I like the punter pick. We've tried free agents, we've tried trading, why not try the best punter in the draft since Lechler with the pick third from the end of round 3.

As for the sixth and seventh round, I couldn't care less. You can shuffle all the players taken in those rounds like a deck of cards, 'cause everyone drafted in that range is a project.

Skip Towne
04-25-2005, 09:29 AM
I'd give it a B till I can see them play.

1punkyQB
04-25-2005, 09:41 AM
Khari Long was USA Today's sleeper pick at DE, FWIW. Not bad at that point. Bottom of page. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2005draft/2005-04-13-profile-defensive-linemen_x.htm

BigChiefFan
04-25-2005, 09:47 AM

Not to disagree, but I believe our draft was very good. We both agree on our first two picks (DJ and trade for Surtain) so I'll move on to the others drafted by us.

Colquitt- the BEST Prospect in the years draft for punter. Most had him slated as high 4th rounder. We saw a major need and addressed it with one of the best prospects since Lechler and gave up a pick that was untradeable to upgrade a STARTER. He makes the team, IMO.

Thorpe-If he hadn't gotten hurt in the past he was a first rounder in any other draft. He also has gone up against some of the same talent that was recently drafted high in this year's draft. We got him in the 4th. That's a Hell of value in my book. Plus he's got the speed and heigth. He makes the team, IMO.

Hodge-Another value pick. One of the really quick players with heigth, that also has skills. Alot of the players drafted before him are just as big of projects. He's got limitations, but he's got some upside, too. He makes the team, IMO.

Grigsby-we took a hard-nosed, blue-collar type, who is a FOOTBALL player. He looks like the epitome of a Gunther LBer and we needed depth there. I'd be real surprised if he doesn't contribute on special teams from day one. He makes the team, IMO.

Khari Long- has the size to play DE. Looks like a a project and the player that I see least likely of making the team.

Will Svitek-We can always use depth at guard, especially with this likely Will Shields final year. Not sure if he makes the team or not, he could at least make the practce squad.

Kilian-Looks like an athletic QB, who actually showed some leadership skills at the University of Tulsa. Also, very athletic. A project, but our offensive staff has an eye for talent. I''ll defer to them on this pick. Plus our QBs aren't getting any younger, we need a QB in the system, that we can develop. PS guy.

Parquet looks like another project guy, but that's what the 7th round is for. He has lots of upside and a huge build. Some had him slated as the 12th overall OT in this year's draft.

I can't find much fault in our draft. They addressed immediate needs and took a few projects that could pay big divedends if it works out.

Mr. Laz
04-25-2005, 09:51 AM
I'm wondering this morning if some of the negative grades we've gotten have more to do with the antagonstic attitude of the FO towards the media than the actual picks
you sound like carl now

keg in kc
04-25-2005, 09:56 AM
you sound like carl nowThat's just dumb. I'll chalk it up to it being Monday.

htismaqe
04-25-2005, 09:57 AM

I kinda agree. I really like the Colquitt pick. That's really good value for the 99th overall pick because it's an almost guaranteed contribution. Would you rather have a punter who we know is going to see the field at least some or another Key Fox that hardly suits up?

The one reason I'm high on the Grigsby pick is because of how closely he parallels Jared Allen. I just think we've found something there.

I watched Hodge quite a bit in college and I like the pick. He's sound and solid, but not spectacular. I think he could play nickel by mid-season and at the very least push Bartee or Battle right off the roster.

I agree pretty much on the next 3 picks but I love the Parquet pick. Very little risk for what could be big reward - most of the draft services had him as high as the start of the 3rd but really no later than the 4th round.

jspchief
04-25-2005, 10:04 AM
Lee me clarify my Colquitt comments. 3rd round is high for a punter, period. Even Vermeil admitted that you have to reach a round to guarantee you get the STer you want (kind of sounds like they may have been burnt on waiting a round for Kaeding). I'm okay with the pick.

As far as Parquett, I really like the pick. He's the perfect candidate for a late pick. His weaknesses are technique and upper body strength. Both of those can be improved. He's a big SOB, and with the right coaching, could develop. The only question is whether KC has the staff to develop him. We don't seem to accomplish much with D-linemen.

Mr. Laz
04-25-2005, 10:09 AM
That's just dumb. I'll chalk it up to it being Monday.
cool ... then i'll just chalk that dumb post of yours us to monday as well.

lame conspiracy theories work much better on mondays anyway

BigChiefFan
04-25-2005, 10:09 AM
Lee me clarify my Colquitt comments. 3rd round is high for a punter, period. Even Vermeil admitted that you have to reach a round to guarantee you get the STer you want (kind of sounds like they may have been burnt on waiting a round for Kaeding). I'm okay with the pick.

As far as Parquett, I really like the pick. He's the perfect candidate for a late pick. His weaknesses are technique and upper body strength. Both of those can be improved. He's a big SOB, and with the right coaching, could develop. The only question is whether KC has the staff to develop him. We don't seem to accomplish much with D-linemen.
Parquet is an OFFENSIVE lineman. Your comment about defensive line coaches has nothing to do with Parquet. We already know Mike Solari kicks ass with the O-lineman.

RINGLEADER
04-25-2005, 10:10 AM
If it were just for the 6th and 7th rounds, I'd have to give an F. They went for some big time projects there for guys who don't even show up on most boards. I'll give an overall grade of B, but that's because I'm a hardass. None of this grading on a curve for me.

I agree with you completely.

I think the bad grades are also coming from people who aren't counting Surtain - obviously the best CB available - as a pick, per se. We're also dealing with others like Prisco who think we took a punter with the second-round pick.

jspchief
04-25-2005, 10:12 AM
Parquet is an OFFENSIVE lineman. Your comment about defensive line coaches has nothing to do with Parquet. We already know Mike Solari kicks ass with the O-lineman.Yep. My bad. I was thinking Parquet was a DT.

keg in kc
04-25-2005, 10:16 AM
lame conspiracy theories work much better on mondays anywayMight want some more coffee. Your brain's even slower than usual. And that's saying something.

The media in general doesn't treat this franchise well. At least not in my experience and/or opinion. I believe that's because the front office, most specifically Bob Moore and Carl himself, treats them like shit.

Something tells me Carl wouldn't say something like that. But, hey, if you think I sound like Carl, more power to ya.

Hey, call it a conspiracy theory if you want. Because I do find it strange that they'd give our draft below average grades and point at Johnson, a player many of them had highly-rated pre-draft, as a reason why.

jspchief
04-25-2005, 10:22 AM
Might want some more coffee. Your brain's even slower than usual. And that's saying something.

The media in general doesn't treat this franchise well. At least not in my experience and/or opinion. I believe that's because the front office, most specifically Bob Moore and Carl himself, treats them like shit.

Something tells me Carl wouldn't say something like that. But, hey, if you think I sound like Carl, more power to ya.

Hey, call it a conspiracy theory if you want. Because I do find it strange that they'd give our draft below average grades and point at Johnson, a player many of them had highly-rated pre-draft, as a reason why.Compound that with the fact that every time the Chiefs go out and have a good season and convince the media to jump on the bandwagon, the team dumps a steaming load of diarrhea on their predictions the following season. I honestly think KC's choke jobs after 13-3 seasons have burned so many "experts" that they are reluctant to expect anything decent from the Chiefs, or are afraid to predict success.

Chiefnj
04-25-2005, 10:33 AM
I was getting really excited about the third round pick. There were a string of what I would consider good players available until about 10 picks before us; next thing you know Beck, Hill and Blackstock got snatched up.

In the 4th round I can live with Craphonso, although I probably would have went with Chris Canty.

In the 5th I probably would have went with McPherson and Seward.

In the 6th I would have went with Goddard and Browner.

In the 7th the only change I would have gone with Shazor instead of the QB having taken McPherson earlier.

Chief Faithful
04-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Carlos Hall and John Welbourne should be included in this draft as well.

Excellent point. If Johnson, Surtain, Welbourne, Colquitt, and Hall all contribute big this year then I have to say this years draft was outstanding no matter what happens to the rest of the picks.

I do want to better understand the thinking behind the Khari Long pick. My only guess is they see him as high potential for special teams.

jspchief
04-25-2005, 10:40 AM
I was getting really excited about the third round pick. There were a string of what I would consider good players available until about 10 picks before us; next thing you know Beck, Hill and Blackstock got snatched up.

In the 4th round I can live with Craphonso, although I probably would have went with Chris Canty.

In the 5th I probably would have went with McPherson and Seward.

In the 6th I would have went with Goddard and Browner.

In the 7th the only change I would have gone with Shazor instead of the QB having taken McPherson earlier.I was hoping Blackstock would still be there too. Although Rufusmaqe makes a good point about Colquitt having the possibility to be an immediate starter, something you don't get from the 3rd round that often, and something that Blackstock likely would not have been.

I think the detractions from Craphonso are similar to the detractions from Canty. They both need to regain their form after injuries. Besides Canty's football injury, he got jacked in the head with a beer bottle this winter and has a detached retina. There's concern he won't recover well from that.

Broncos got Browner as un undrafted FA Sunday night, and Shazor is still out there as far as I know.

siberian khatru
04-25-2005, 10:44 AM
Compound that with the fact that every time the Chiefs go out and have a good season and convince the media to jump on the bandwagon, the team dumps a steaming load of diarrhea on their predictions the following season. I honestly think KC's choke jobs after 13-3 seasons have burned so many "experts" that they are reluctant to expect anything decent from the Chiefs, or are afraid to predict success.

That's exactly my impression too. Our postseason flops, combined in recent years with a joke of a defense, have cost us a ton of respect. And really, who can blame? I've always said, if we just go out and take care of business, the rest will follow. But when you can't even win one freaking home playoff game, don't expect folks to be singing your praises as a league power or model franchise.

Mr. Laz
04-25-2005, 10:45 AM
Hey, call it a conspiracy theory if you want. Because I do find it strange that they'd give our draft below average grades
you can count surtain/welbourn as a free agency thing or a draft thing

if you don't count surtain and welbourn AS PART of the draft, then our draft was kinda weak.

the reason they all point to derrick johnson is because he's just about our entire draft worth(on paper).

1st - Derrick Johnson
2nd - nothing (if you count surtain as free agency)
3rd - nothing (welbourn)
3rd(comp) - a punter, enuff said

day 1 really sucks, unless you count surtain

nobody on day 2 looks good on paper ... that's just reality

4 15(116) Craphonso Thorpe WR Florida St.
5 2(138) Boomer Grigsby ILB Illinois St.
5 11(147) Alphonso Hodge CB Miami (OH)
6 13(187) Will Svitek OT Stanford
6 25(199) Khari Long DE Baylor
7 15(229) James Kilian QB Tulsa
7 24(238) Jeremy Parquet OT Southern Miss

Hodge might be are best pick on paper

now ... the chiefs have a way of grabbing a few sleeper gems on day 2.

Those gems have been really saving our @ss lately.

so the overall reality is ... we got a pro bowl cornerback, the best linebacker of the draft, the best punter in the draft AND MAYBE the chiefs 1 or 2 hidden gems they have a tendency to find.

so in the end, our draft could be very good

but the way these football guys judge the draft ... on paper .... it really doesn't look so good. Especially if Derrick Johnson does turn out to have trouble with engaging blockers.

regardless ... i find it funny that people can't just take the grade for what it's worth.

Chief Faithful
04-25-2005, 10:49 AM
Chalk me up as another fan pleased with the Colquitt pick. After so many years of bad punting I was ready for a solution.

If Colquitt makes a habit of trapping teams deep on their own end of the field and prevents other teams from having big returns then I say good pick at number 99.

htismaqe
04-25-2005, 10:51 AM

I look at it this way. He has a great chance to be our starting punter next year.

Compare that to our last few 3rd-round picks. I like the pick because I think we're GETTING SOMETHING for our effort. Yes, it's probably a reach, but I'd rather reach for someone who is going to contribute.

jspchief
04-25-2005, 10:53 AM
I look at it this way. He has a great chance to be our starting punter next year.

Compare that to our last few 3rd-round picks. I like the pick because I think we're GETTING SOMETHING for our effort. Yes, it's probably a reach, but I'd rather reach for someone who is going to contribute.It's a good perspective. That's actually the same argument I used for drafting Kaeding last year.

crossbow
04-25-2005, 11:21 AM
Isn't "The Sporting News" based out of Saint Louis? They wouldn't have the snobby attitude against the midwest teams like the big coastal cities would. Just a thought. Besides, Dan Pompei actualy knows what he is talking about most of the time.

All we have to do is prove them wrong by winning. Couldn't be easier.

Logical
04-25-2005, 11:31 AM
LOL well obviously Pompei is a genious ;)

Herzig
04-25-2005, 11:37 AM
Loved what Pompei had to say about Carolina's draft:

Carolina Panthers: B

Passing up linebacker Derrick Johnson for Thomas Davis was somewhat questionable, but this is a good overall group. Quarterback Stefan LeFors in the fourth round was a great pick.

Claynus
04-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Loved what Pompei had to say about Carolina's draft:

Carolina Panthers: B

Passing up linebacker Derrick Johnson for Thomas Davis was somewhat questionable, but this is a good overall group. Quarterback Stefan LeFors in the fourth round was a great pick.

I was really jealous when I saw the leFors pick and highlight videos...the kid has moxy.

ChiefsCountry
04-25-2005, 12:39 PM
I wouldn't say Pompei is smart all the time, he picked Plummer and the Broncos to win the Super Bowl last year and Plummer was the MVP.

I like Lefors alot Panthers got a football player, he may not have the size and that bs but he is a player.

crossbow
04-25-2005, 02:13 PM
LOL well obviously Pompei is a genious ;)

Yes he fits the requirements of a genius...he likes the Chiefs draft this year. :)

I like the punter pick. The Chiefs followed conventional thinking last year by waiting until the 4th to get a kicker but Sandy Eggo beat them out. This year they tried to think out of the box and just went for what they needed, screw the norm. I realy like the receiver pick. Let Al Saunders coach him and you got a young stud for years if his leg holds up. If not well, at least they gave it a shot. I think they will go real slow with this guy. Rebuild his confidence.

Ralphy Boy
04-25-2005, 03:07 PM
I like the punter pick. We've tried free agents, we've tried trading, why not try the best punter in the draft since Lechler with the pick third from the end of round 3.

As for the sixth and seventh round, I couldn't care less. You can shuffle all the players taken in those rounds like a deck of cards, 'cause everyone drafted in that range is a project.

I agree on this completely.

At least this year it wasn't our second round pick that was a project.

Ralphy Boy
04-25-2005, 03:11 PM
I like Lefors alot Panthers got a football player, he may not have the size and that bs but he is a player.

Not you in particular, but I've never been so sick of a statement in my life than after this weekend and hearing everyone say over and over "he's a football player".

I can't help but think "no shit dipstick, this isn't the WNBA draft here, they're all football players".

tk13
04-25-2005, 03:27 PM
I think it's a good sign when people are trying to be picky over 6th or 7th round picks. I don't know, I just don't get very up in arms over picks that late. They might not have been the best picks in the world, but if you're going to pick some guys with great physical potential who are projects, I'd imagine these late picks are where you'd do it. None of those guys will probably even make the roster this year. The 6th rounders I don't really have much hope for, I like the 7th round picks though. That QB Kilian appears to have pretty much carried his college team by himself, and I think we have a good coaching staff to work with a project like Parquet. I like the first four picks though, we got a starting LB who is going to be very, very good, a punter, a WR with 1st round talent in the 4th round, and a guy who should be able to be a solid special teams guy and depth.