PDA

View Full Version : Attn Anaheim/San Diego Planeteers - Help wanted

ptlyon
04-25-2005, 08:44 AM
I, the g/f, and her kids (13 & 8) are going to go to Disneyland and San Diego this weekend.

Just wondering from those who know what there is in Anaheim and San Diego for fun for a family type of atmosphere.

Any help appreciated! Hotels, things to do, etc..

ptlyon
04-25-2005, 10:06 AM
Shameless bump

Dartgod
04-25-2005, 10:09 AM
I, the g/f, and her kids (13 & 8) are going to go to Disneyland and San Diego this weekend.

Just wondering from those who know what there is in Anaheim and San Diego for fun for a family type of atmosphere.

Any help appreciated! Hotels, things to do, etc..
Not from San Diego, but I was there recently. My guess is that the Zoo and Sea World would be good spots for the family. As far as hotels go, we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Old Town. Nice, clean hotel with plenty of restaurants within walking distance.

ptlyon
04-25-2005, 10:29 AM
Not from San Diego, but I was there recently. My guess is that the Zoo and Sea World would be good spots for the family. As far as hotels go, we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Old Town. Nice, clean hotel with plenty of restaurants within walking distance.

Thanks Bob - I know you were there for the last debacle of the season.

"Old Town" - is that the Gaslamp district?

Son of Logical
04-25-2005, 10:34 AM
As a San Diego native, I would say there is Sea World, the Zoo, and Balboa Park. Balboa Park has a science museum with lots of interactive stuff to play with, and there is an IMAX theater that has tons of different movie things. Also, the park has art museums, and other stuff like that. Plus, there is a train for the 8 year old to ride. Hotel wise I really don't know, never had to spend the night in a hotel. Well, except for Prom night, but I don't think you want a room at the Hilton La Jolla. If you do though it is really nice.

Nzoner
04-25-2005, 10:35 AM
It's been awhile since I lived in that area but there's a Movieland Wax Museum (http://arestravel.com/419/-/attraction/14) just down from Knott's Berry Farm(Anaheim area) if you're into that kind of thing.

skky man
04-25-2005, 10:40 AM
was there this summer and seaworld is a must and get there early and grab one of the tours

Dartgod
04-25-2005, 10:51 AM
"Old Town" - is that the Gaslamp district?
No. Gas Lamp is downtown. Old Town is northwest of that, closer to Sea World.

ptlyon
04-25-2005, 10:55 AM
No. Gas Lamp is downtown. Old Town is northwest of that, closer to Sea World.

Thanks Bob!

mlyonsd
04-25-2005, 11:12 AM
If the weather is nice the Point Loma lighthouse/Cabrillo National monument is a great way to get a view of the ocean.

ptlyon
04-25-2005, 12:27 PM
Thx Bro.

Yet another shameless bump.

patteeu
04-25-2005, 01:34 PM
Universal Studios was an awesome place to visit about 25 years ago. I don't know how it has changed since then, but at the time it was cool to see some of the sets that were recognizeable from TV/movies. I remember seeing the "house" that was featured in the intro to "Leave It To Beaver," the separation of the Red Sea from the Ten Commandments, and the mansion from Psycho. There were others, but I forget.

Anyway, I don't know what it's like now, but someone else may be able to fill you in.

RickObie
04-25-2005, 01:53 PM
Sea World-SD
LegoLand-Carlsbad (North County SD)
SD Zoo (SD)
Universal Studios (Hollywood)
The Beach (It's free)

ptlyon
04-25-2005, 02:50 PM
Thanks to all of you who responded - rep to all of you.

Shameless bump before leaving work and for the night crew.

Hey night crew - want rep - come and get yer rep!!!

TheChiefofSoCal
04-25-2005, 02:54 PM
When the kids have gotten on your last nerve you can drop them off in Tijauna :)

SCTrojan
04-25-2005, 04:05 PM
Beaches, bro, beaches. In SD, especially. Coronado, Mission, Del Mar and La Jolla. All great places to soak in some sun, and it doesn't really cost you anything to be out there.

Laguna is kind of an artsy place right up the coast, typical SoCal beach town. Also good shopping there if you're group is into that type of thing. South Coast plaza is huge for shopping as well. Some sports bars there, if you just want to sit down and drink a cold one while the others wander.

For Disneyland, the Candy Cane Inn is a good place to stay, within walking distance and also has a shuttle every 30 min. About $100 per night, with breakfast.

ptlyon
04-26-2005, 06:42 AM
When the kids have gotten on your last nerve you can drop them off in Tijauna :)

Them off in Tijuana? Heck no, I'll go to Tijuana!!! :D

Thanks SCTrojandude!

Any other ideas?

skky man
04-26-2005, 07:02 AM
If you go to universal studio's which is really fun take the extra money to upgrade to the front of the line pass! It's worth it and made the day so much more enjoyable not haveing to wait for anything! Also don't go to the LA zoo it was a drag and not worth it!

patteeu
04-26-2005, 07:14 AM
Don't forget to give us a recap after your trip and let us know what you did and how it went.

ptlyon
04-26-2005, 07:15 AM
Will do patteeu!

Dartgod
04-26-2005, 07:28 AM
Will do patteeu!
Why did I just hear this in my mind in a French accent?

Kclee
04-26-2005, 07:29 AM
As far as the beach goes, the kids would probably like La Jolla. There is this little area down there that the sea lions like to hang out at. It's roped off a little but you can get within a few feet of them. Plus a lot of shops down in that area too. And if your into it, a Hard Rock Cafe.

ptlyon
04-26-2005, 07:33 AM
Why did I just hear this in my mind in a French accent?

I ain't no fricken French! ;)

Just looked at the weather for out there - highs in the 60's - doubt the girls would be up for any beach activity when it's that cool.

Dartgod
04-26-2005, 07:39 AM
I ain't no fricken French! ;)

Just looked at the weather for out there - highs in the 60's - doubt the girls would be up for any beach activity when it's that cool.

DAM.
I hear ya. I really enjoyed visiting San Diego, but the weather was kind of shitty while we were there. Mostly in the low 60s and dodging rain the whole time. I want to go back when it's warmer sometime. There's so much we did not get to see.

ptlyon
04-26-2005, 10:23 AM
Shameless mid-day-just-before-I-leave-tomorrow bump.