PDA

View Full Version : A draft question regarding the Surtain trade:

Frankie
04-25-2005, 11:05 AM
We swapped 5s. With theirs we got Boomer Grigsby. Who did they get with ours and do you think we benefitted from the swap (comparing both picks)?

jspchief
04-25-2005, 11:07 AM
Anthony Alabi, OT, Texas Christian

Frankie
04-25-2005, 11:13 AM
Who got the better deal, IYO?

ct
04-25-2005, 11:16 AM
We got Surtain and Boomer, they got Matt Roth and Alabi. Looks like an even deal to me, we're over initially, they win over the long term.

Frankie
04-25-2005, 11:32 AM
We got Surtain and Boomer, they got Matt Roth and Alabi. Looks like an even deal to me, we're over initially, they win over the long term.

Thanks. But I like to get a feel on who got a better deal from the swap alone. I mean in the 5th rd. Does anyone think that Alabi will be better and more benefitial in his position than Boomer in his? This is even more significant when you think about the fact that our OLine will soon age and replacements are needed soon. I didn't know much about either player. So I'm just curious which team got better value in the 5th rounder swap.

Skip Towne
04-25-2005, 11:37 AM
Thanks. But I like to get a feel on who got a better deal from the swap alone. I mean in the 5th rd. Does anyone think that Alabi will be better and more benefitial in his position than Boomer in his? This is even more significant when you think about the fact that our OLine will soon age and replacements are needed soon. I didn't know much about either player. So I'm just curious which team got better value in the 5th rounder swap.
We won't know who got the better value for awhile yet.

jspchief
04-25-2005, 11:41 AM
It's a tough comparison since they play different positions. I'm just going off what's written since I haven't seen much of either of these guys on the field. Alabi sounds like an interesting prospect.

I like the Grigsby pick because a LB can have a notable effect on STs, where a DE is less likely to.

Asking who got the better value at this point requires pure speculation. The only thing that can be said for sure is that we got the guy we wanted at the 138th pick. He may not have been there at 162. If we end up on the short end of the deal, the blame lies on our scouting department, not the trade.

We got to pick 24 spots sooner. That puts us on the top end of that part of the trade at this moment.

Frankie
04-25-2005, 11:44 AM
We won't know who got the better value for awhile yet.
I realize that. Just want opinions and reasoning why.

patteeu
04-25-2005, 12:33 PM
It doesn't really make any sense to compare the player we got with the player they got. If we hadn't swapped, Miami could have gotten the same guy at 138. Would they have picked someone different? If so, that's the player they should compare their pick at 162 with.

Similarly, we obviously picked the guy we thought was the best choice at 138. If the swap hadn't happened and Boomer was still there at 162, we, no doubt, would have taken him (actually, we probably would have taken him at 147). Would he have lasted? If not, who would we have taken and how does that player compare to Boomer? That's the real question.

Either way, it's too early to tell about any of these players. There's a strong presumption that we got a significant benefit by moving up 24 spots in the draft, but who knows if it will end up playing out that way.

ct
04-25-2005, 01:29 PM
Agree you're trying to compare apples to oranges, plus 2 unknown draft boards as to who would each have taken in the opposite spot.

But anyway, just a player to player comparison, I like KC with the better end of this deal. OLinemen that late are definite projects, and will take 2-3 years to develop. LineBackers at that draft level can contribute immediately on STs, not many OTs play on kick coverage.

Frankie
04-25-2005, 01:33 PM
Agree you're trying to compare apples to oranges, plus 2 unknown draft boards as to who would each have taken in the opposite spot.

But anyway, just a player to player comparison, I like KC with the better end of this deal. OLinemen that late are definite projects, and will take 2-3 years to develop. LineBackers at that draft level can contribute immediately on STs, not many OTs play on kick coverage.
Good. The first post to answer my question. Thanks.

ct
04-25-2005, 01:34 PM
Good. The first post to answer my question. Thanks.

Impossible question to answer. I prefer oranges, btw.