PDA

View Full Version : DFW paper: Johnson 'blessed' to play for Chiefs

wutamess
04-25-2005, 12:15 PM
Not worth really posting but, What the Hell.
In case someone finds value in it.

Johnson 'blessed' to play for Chiefs

By Charles Polansky

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

WACO - After the Cowboys and the Houston Texans passed up the opportunity to draft Texas linebacker Derrick Johnson in the first round of the NFL Draft, there likely were some upset Texas Exes all around the state.

Johnson went to the Kansas City Chiefs with the 15th overall pick after the Cowboys passed on him at No. 11 in favor of Demarcus Ware of Troy and the Texans, who had the No. 13 pick, swapped first-round spots with New Orleans.

"It's always good to experience new things," Johnson said. "Anything can happen in the draft. I went 15th to a great team that's looking to rebuild the defense."

Johnson, thought to be heading to Detroit with the 10th pick to join former Longhorns teammates Roy Williams, Shaun Rogers and Cory Redding, said he wasn't upset to be bypassed by both Texas teams.

"I'm just blessed to be in a situation where I can go at the 15th overall pick," Johnson said. "I'm going to do the best I can with it."

While the Cowboys never expressed much interest in Johnson -- the 2004 Bronko Nagurski Award winner given to the nation's top college defensive player -- the Texans did. But instead of taking him at No. 13, the Texans traded down three spots to No. 16 and picked up New Orleans' third-round selection in 2006. With Johnson gone, Houston drafted Florida State defensive tackle Travis Johnson at No. 16.

Johnson watched the draft with more than 100 friends and family members at his mother's house in Waco. He's scheduled to leave for Kansas City on Monday. The Chiefs' first mini-camp begins Thursday.

"What I do best is make plays," Johnson said. "I'm the type of player that's going to make the tackle and give you what you need to put you in the game, help you win the game. But I'm a player who's still learning."

MOhillbilly
04-25-2005, 12:19 PM
"What I do best is make plays," Johnson said. "I'm the type of player that's going to make the tackle and give you what you need to put you in the game, help you win the game. But I'm a player who's still learning."

nuff said.

Simplex3
04-25-2005, 12:24 PM
But I'm a player who's still learning."
Keep that attitude and listen to Goonther, you'll do just fine young man.

Duck Dog
04-25-2005, 01:05 PM
"I'm just blessed to be in a situation where I can go at the 15th overall pick," Johnson said. "I'm going to do the best I can with it."

Seems like a great character player. I like his attitude. We'll see how well contract negotiations go. I hope he is in camp ON TIME!

siberian khatru
04-25-2005, 01:08 PM

nuff said.

But can he first pick up a blocker and toss him aside like a Hefty bag of trash? That's what REAL linebackers do!

Chan93lx50
04-25-2005, 01:37 PM
I just think of what Gun did with the Titans LB and polishing the turds they had into fine LB's

Just think what Gun is going to do with a kid that is already a Diamond.

Here is to Gun molding this kid into a pro bowler :toast:

BigChiefFan
04-25-2005, 02:06 PM
I just think of what Gun did with the Titans LB and polishing the turds they had into fine LB's

I second that. I really think he is a great player and has Pro Bowl potential. If anybody can get that out of a LBer, it's Gunther. Great pick.

MOhillbilly
04-25-2005, 02:07 PM

yeah cause Tenn. has had so many crap coaches on D.:rolleyes:

Reaper16
04-25-2005, 02:17 PM
Pro Bowl potential? Nah, Pro Bowls are almost an expectation down the line with his talent. He has the potential to be one of the most dominant defensive players of this decade. We finally got a good one, guys.

Wallcrawler
04-25-2005, 02:24 PM
But can he first pick up a blocker and toss him aside like a Hefty bag of trash? That's what REAL linebackers do!

Yeah, just like the mighty Ray Lewis did against us in the monday nighter right? Yeah boy, he was sure throwing guys left and right wasnt he? Arguably the best linebacker in the league, and what did he end up with? 2 tackles? Maybe?

Heh.

I dont know what it is about people who think that Linebackers should attack blockers, instead of going for the guy with the ball, and then thinking that because your strength isnt going through blockers, youre not a good linebacker. How ridiculous.

If youre a slowass with no chance of getting around a blocker, yeah, you probably better be able to take on a blocker and get through him. But when you have the speed that Derrick Johnson has to just go by them, why the hell would you want him attacking the blocker? Why? Please explain this, as Im dying to know why you would want him to slow down and F around with the blocker, instead of using his speed to get to the ball carrier.

Asinine.

Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, these are just a couple linebackers who are incredible talents, but they also have to have some protection from the blockers, or their impact is drasticly reduced. But you dont hear people shitting on these guys.

MOhillbilly
04-25-2005, 02:30 PM
Pro Bowl potential? Nah, Pro Bowls are almost an expectation down the line with his talent. He has the potential to be one of the most dominant defensive players of this decade. We finally got a good one, guys.

whoooo slow down killer. Youll jinx him.:)

Nzoner
04-25-2005, 02:37 PM
Keep that attitude and listen to Goonther, you'll do just fine young man.

Just listening to an interview on 610 with Brian Jones who covers Texas football.Granted,there has to be some bias here but he basically said in a few years DJ will be mentioned in the same sentence with DT and LT.

He also said Gunther has to be licking his lips.

Hoover
04-25-2005, 02:43 PM
If he was a MLB I might be a little concerned, but playing on the outside he will be just fine.

Just think of the speed we just added to the D

BigChiefFan
04-25-2005, 04:17 PM
It's more like the Chiefs are blessed to have Derrick Johnson.

Skip Towne
04-25-2005, 04:40 PM
It's more like the Chiefs are blessed to have Derrick Johnson.
Yep

Edubs
04-25-2005, 05:09 PM
Seems like a great character player. I like his attitude. We'll see how well contract negotiations go. I hope he is in camp ON TIME!

Ohh Lord we don't need another Sims.

Davechief
04-25-2005, 05:44 PM
Johnson, Surtain, Bell, & Knight are something the Chiefs haven't had on Defense in years. "PLAYMAKERS!"

milkman
04-25-2005, 06:22 PM
Yeah, just like the mighty Ray Lewis did against us in the monday nighter right? Yeah boy, he was sure throwing guys left and right wasnt he? Arguably the best linebacker in the league, and what did he end up with? 2 tackles? Maybe?

Heh.

I dont know what it is about people who think that Linebackers should attack blockers, instead of going for the guy with the ball, and then thinking that because your strength isnt going through blockers, youre not a good linebacker. How ridiculous.

If youre a slowass with no chance of getting around a blocker, yeah, you probably better be able to take on a blocker and get through him. But when you have the speed that Derrick Johnson has to just go by them, why the hell would you want him attacking the blocker? Why? Please explain this, as Im dying to know why you would want him to slow down and F around with the blocker, instead of using his speed to get to the ball carrier.

Asinine.

Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, these are just a couple linebackers who are incredible talents, but they also have to have some protection from the blockers, or their impact is drasticly reduced. But you dont hear people shitting on these guys.

Excellent post!
Did I just say that? :hmmm:

We already have a Lb that takes on blockers on every single play, and I don't want another KaWeaka.

Inspector
04-25-2005, 07:52 PM
Lets keep him off icy roads.

Or at least make him wear his seatbelt.

Ari Chi3fs
04-25-2005, 08:27 PM
Lets keep him off icy roads.

Or at least make him wear his seatbelt.

classless and deranged post.

Inspector
04-25-2005, 09:05 PM
classless and deranged post.

Uh...OK.

I've been called classless and I've been called deranged.

This is the first time I've been both at the same time.

Think what you want, but I truly want this guy to stay healthy.

With all of the comparisms to Derrick Thomas the thought of his untimely death comes to mind.

I find it strange that you wouldn't make that connection.