PDA

View Full Version : Steve Deace says the national ESPN guys just "don't get it"

htismaqe
04-25-2005, 03:21 PM
Steve is probably the most notable sports talking head here in this market...has the highest-rated show here on KXNO Fox Sports Radio. He's also a partner in Cyclone Nation magazine and website.

He said he watched almost every game Derrick Johnson played in and the guys that say he's soft or can't tackle simply weren't watching the games...

Merril Hoge
04-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Yes, someone from a radio station named "KXNO" knows more than us.

:rolleyes:

Brock
04-25-2005, 03:25 PM

A third grade 'tard knows more than you. And has an excuse for being stupid to boot.

the Talking Can
04-25-2005, 03:26 PM

How much do you pay for the time share with Bill Self's hair piece?

Sean Salisbury
04-25-2005, 03:27 PM
A third grade 'tard knows more than you. And has an excuse for being stupid to boot.

Hey, Merril has an excuse! He got hit in the head too many times, remember?

Brock
04-25-2005, 03:28 PM

ROFL

Wile_E_Coyote
04-25-2005, 03:28 PM

Hoge still in pads

the Talking Can
04-25-2005, 03:30 PM

Do that thing where you try to talk like a brother...that's the only reason I listen to ESPN radio, to hear you say "Don't be a hater..."

Sean Salisbury
04-25-2005, 03:31 PM
Do that thing where you try to talk like a brother...that's the only reason I listen to ESPN radio, to hear you say "Don't be a hater..."

I'm black inside.

Chan93lx50
04-25-2005, 03:34 PM
OMFG ESPN is taking over the board

tk13
04-25-2005, 03:34 PM
NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

Frankie
04-25-2005, 03:37 PM
I am undecide if this guy's Merril Hoge/Sean Salisbury act is funny or annoying. Stand by.....

Nzoner
04-25-2005, 03:43 PM
I am undecide if this guy's Merril Hoge/Sean Salisbury act is funny or annoying. Stand by.....

at least we haven't had to put with

http://www.washingtonspeakers.com/cropped_speakers/j_theisman2.jpg

yet

Chan93lx50
04-25-2005, 03:43 PM

Annoying

BigChiefFan
04-25-2005, 03:44 PM
http://www.houstonprofootball.com/draft/prospects/johnsond2.html

Inside Linebacker
Derrick Johnson
College: Texas
Year: Senior
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 230
Birthday: November 22, 1982

Derrick Johnson has sideline-to-sideline range, the smarts to make proper use of that speed, and the controlled recklessness to make his presence known when he reaches his target. The Waco native also has a knack for playing big in the big games – Johnson averaged over ten tackles per game against the Longhorn opponents that played in bowls last year.

Most of Johnson’s blitzes have come up the middle, allowing him to explode through the gap with a straight line to the quarterback. Texas’ new defensive staff plans on having him blitz from a wider variety of locations this season. As his four interceptions and nine pass breakups in 2003 show, Johnson is also effective in coverage. Johnson gave Tulane quarterback J.P. Losman, a first-round pick of the Bills, fits last year by picking off a pair of Losman’s passes, getting a hand on another two, and recovering a fumble that Losman coughed up.

Although Johnson has gotten bigger during his tenure in Austin, he is still on the light side for an inside linebacker. He lacks the strength to take on NFL linemen and would need to be protected. He is better suited for the 4-3 weakside position that he plays in college, where he can play in space, than the high-traffic area between the tackles.

Johnson is a potential impact player who may be the first linebacker drafted in 2005. The Texans can always use another player who can run and hit, but a team that runs a 4-3 defense will likely rate Johnson higher than do the Texans because he would better fit that scheme.

(profile written by Warren DeLuca)

Derrick Johnson's 2003 Stats
G TCK TFL SKS FF FR
13 125 20 2.0 1 3

Hoover
04-25-2005, 03:46 PM
Dace does watch every Big 12 game, great fan, and I think always gives a good take.

stevieray
04-25-2005, 03:48 PM
His closing speed is phenomenal. From the videos I saw, he plants people.

htismaqe
04-25-2005, 03:48 PM

He doesn't get paid to know more than you. In fact, I'm guessing that based solely on salary, you should know roughly 10 times what he knows.

Somebody isn't doing their job...

HolmeZz
04-25-2005, 03:49 PM
IT'S LIKE SHOOTIN' FISH IN A BARREL. I'VE NEVER DONE IT, BUT IT SOUNDS EASY.
- Salisburyism

htismaqe
04-25-2005, 03:54 PM
Dace does watch every Big 12 game, great fan, and I think always gives a good take.

I played in one of his PS2 NCAA tourneys one year.

The amount of college football he watches is SCARY.

Frankie
04-25-2005, 04:59 PM
at least we haven't had to put with

http://www.washingtonspeakers.com/cropped_speakers/j_theisman2.jpg

yet
Now ya hadda go and do it. You gave him another idea.
:banghead:

CosmicPal
04-25-2005, 05:55 PM
Well, I'm going to put this "Can't Tackle" shit to rest once and for all.

There is NOT a player coming out of college, or even in the NFL that has not missed a tackle or more. If you want evidence- just watch any NFL game. The Chiefs were so desperate a couple of seasons ago, they actually spent a great deal of teaching the basics of tackling in training camp.

The fact of the matter is- Johnson made over a hundred tackles- if he missed a few, it's not because he sucks at tackling- it's most likely 'cause he over-pursued on a play or was losing his balance after being tackled or he slipped on a banana peel.

Here's something you ought to know: DERRICK JOHNSON CAN TACKLE IN THE NFL. The same shit was said about Derrick Thomas and we all know he missed a few tackles, but nobody was crying, "He can't tackle!"

Lastly- IF, and only IF the coaches see an issue with his techniques- they will work with him to fix the problem. Now, can we give this BS topic a rest and concentrate on more important issues like saving the world from uncured diseases and malnutrition?

ENDelt260
04-25-2005, 06:24 PM
Now, can we give this BS topic a rest and concentrate on more important issues like saving the world from uncured diseases and malnutrition?

Not to worry. Badgirl's got that one under control.