PDA

View Full Version : Forget the Micheal Pittman's and the Antowan Smith's please!!!

redbrian
12-27-2000, 11:40 AM
We know Peterson can't draft RB's, so we know that if he is going to pick one up it will have to be through free agency.

But Pittman?! Antowan Smith?!

They can't hold TRich's jock! If we replace TRich at least find someone better than he is. Like Garner or Dillon. [Watters is too old].

Garner should be the man. If not Garner, they should use TRich for one year to see what he can do. If he rushes for over 1,200 yards, then keep him as the RB, if not, go get another one.

But don't crap all over TRich by replacing him with Mike Pittman or Antowan Smith, what a joke!

morphius
12-27-2000, 11:59 AM
I agree 100%. I'd rather use TRich OR Moreau, rather than waste cap dollars on Pittman or Smith.

Maybe if Carl signs BOTH, they can wash TRich's dirty jock straps after each game.

redbrian
12-27-2000, 12:02 PM
If I were TRich I would consider it a personal insult if they tried to replace with one of these two scrubs. <P>

Warrior5
12-27-2000, 12:03 PM
Glad somebody agrees with me. Pittman/Smith BOTH are a downgrade to TRich. Think it through, we can't afford either one of them anyway. KC in 2001 will be TRich or bust!! Ever heard of Stephen Davis...TRich is better!!! Believe it!

------------------
ct

[b]FINALLY they gave TRich the Ball!!! And whadaya know!
</B>

bishop_74
12-27-2000, 12:06 PM
I agree totally. I still say we don't really know what we have with the exception of possibly TRich.

redhed
12-27-2000, 12:14 PM
There will only be 1 back available this year who is a clear upgrade over TRich...Corey Dillon. I stumped for Dillon last year and will again this year. I know Dillon is a pipe dream considering our cap situation but I will dream all summer long about an offense of Grbac, DA, Gonzo, Cat, the Tackles and Dillon!!! Dillon aside, I agree that TRich can carry the load as well as anyone.

milkman
12-27-2000, 12:22 PM
I will admit that I would like to see the Chiefs get either Dillon or Garner and then move TRich back to FB. The simple fact is that to me this gives us another weapon to use along with TRich.

If Morris can get on his game by going through training camp this year that would give us Gonzo, DA, Morris, TRich and a RB that can get the ball anywhere at any time.

I'm not saying that TRich might not be able to carry the load as a HB, but can we really find a better blocking FB with his kind of speed and ability to catch out in the flat? I really don't think so.

Gracie Dean
12-27-2000, 12:22 PM
I think Garner is an upgrade as well but as long as Gun is the head guy, he'll never be signed in KC because he's a Cloud style back.

I agree regarding these other two "scrubs". Smith & Pitman aren't anything more than committee members....

Dr. Red
12-27-2000, 12:27 PM
Which is it? Is TRich a pretender, or is he the man? Dump on the RBs all day long, but every non-Dillon replacement couldn't hold a candle to our revered corps. My God, the schizophrenia on this board makes Gunther appear sane.

I'd like to think TRich could carry the team, but he hasn't emerged yet [unless you count the Donx game. BTW, I am starting to believe that the Donx are in some sort of a league-wide conspiracy to give us mouth-watering (but false) glimpses of potential in our RBs]. Antowain was good enough to pave the way out of town for Thurman Thomas. I'm talking realistic here. Dillon is not coming, neither is Robert Smith, Barry Sanders, Warrick Dunn, Stephen Davis or Marshall Faulk. So get over it.

Dr. Red
12-27-2000, 12:47 PM
I have to edit my aside from the previous post. I don't so much fear that the Donx are lying down against our RBs [that's TIC]. I fear that the Chiefs are becoming like the Mizzou Tigers of the '90's. Piss poor against most, but able to focus on one big-name foe [usually Colorado or Nebraska, for the Chiefs it'd be the Donx and the Rams] and eek out an upset or near-upset.

Dr. Red
12-27-2000, 01:22 PM
BTW - if any of the others listed in Reply #8 are somehow coaxed into the red'n'gold, I too will be saying "Antowain who?".

Moon§hiner
12-27-2000, 01:29 PM
Watters isn't too old. He still produces like he did 5 or 6 years ago, maybe better. And for a lousy team, I might add.

The_Grand_Illusion
12-27-2000, 01:30 PM
Guys, your forgetting one thing. Lynn Styles is doing the drafting now. :cool:

[This message has been edited by ChiefPriority (edited 12-27-2000).]

Gracie Dean
12-27-2000, 01:30 PM
Brock,

I think the point is that we would like a RBOTF. Not a 1 or 2 year bandaid that Watters would be.

Moon§hiner
12-27-2000, 01:46 PM
KPhobia, so would I, But I don't see any strategy that Carl would employ to get that running back. In the free agent arena, let's be realistic. Dillon is unaffordable, Bettis raises the same questions that Watters does (age), Garner might be willing to come but is a question mark with our style of offense. On the draft side, well, let's just say that the Chiefs history of drafting running backs is questionable at best.

Baby Lee
12-27-2000, 02:53 PM
In response to #8, it was the duo of Johnathan Linton and Sammie Morris that ran Thomas out of Buffalo. Smith had actually been benched, until injuries forced Wade Phillips to put him back in as a starter.

redbrian
12-27-2000, 05:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Helvetica, verdana, ariel">quote:</font><HR>I'd like to think TRich could carry the team, but he hasn't emerged yet<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know he's emerged. He gained 1200 yards from scrimmage, scored 6tds, and averaged 4.7 yards per carry despite sharing carries with a multitude of other RB's. He also had the highest yard per touch average amongst AFC RB's [including Edgerrin James]. He put better numbers than both Pittman and A.Smith, yet you think they deserve the nod?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Helvetica, verdana, ariel">quote:</font><HR>Antowain was good enough to pave the way out of town for Thurman Thomas.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thurman Thomas was a cap casualty and well past his prime. Beating him out of anything is nothing to be proud of. He couldn't secure the job away from Linton and Morris either so he's not that good.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Helvetica, verdana, ariel">quote:</font><HR>I'm talking realistic here. Dillon is not coming, neither is Robert Smith, Barry Sanders, Warrick Dunn, Stephen Davis or Marshall Faulk. So get over it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm being realistic here as well. I know we aren't going to sign any of these premier players. But I also know that we don't need to. We have a back that is quite capable of being ranked in the top 12 [or higher] or so if given the carries. At a much cheaper cap #.

We certainly don't need to be spending valuable cap dollars on downgrades [Pittman/A.Smith] at the position.

Baby Lee
12-27-2000, 06:04 PM
I agree in part, Cannibal. However, I would totally clean house of every back(except Richardson) get a fullback with good hands that's also a devastating blocker, and sign a decent backup for T-rich. You have to admit, Smith or Pittman are far better than Cloud, Moreau, Bennett, And Kimble.

Not saying we should sign either of them, but it beats the alternative.

redbrian
12-27-2000, 06:08 PM
To tell you the truth. I liked what I saw out of Frank Moreau.

But I totally agree with you about signing a FB to block for TRich.

There are two excellent FB prospects in this draft. Moran Norris out of KU, and the 260 lbs. dude out of A&M, [his name escapes me at the moment].

redbrian
12-27-2000, 06:17 PM
Ja'Mar Toombs, Texas A&M - Junior, 6-0, 260

Huge junior is one of the strongest inside runners in college football. He is also developing nicely as a blocker and receiver.
http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/ce/feature/0,1518,2844296_59,00.html

Baby Lee
12-27-2000, 06:17 PM
Not to mention a couple of interior linemen.

So, who would you want to see drafted at #12?

redbrian
12-27-2000, 06:20 PM
The best CB, DT, or OLB available would be my preference.<P>

Baby Lee
12-27-2000, 06:20 PM
Hmmmmmmm. Top 3 FB's from the Big 12, I forgot about Alexander. He'll be a good one too, if he can catch.

Baby Lee
12-27-2000, 06:22 PM
Can't wait until the draft previews start coming oout.

redbrian
12-27-2000, 06:24 PM
Same here, too bad we're reduced to talking about the NFL Draft in December though.

Although, I like talking draft even when the Chiefs are competitive.

Baby Lee
12-27-2000, 06:24 PM
What would you do for a backup to T-Rich?

OOPS! I forgot, Moreau.

[This message has been edited by Mi_chief_fan (edited 12-27-2000).]

redbrian
12-27-2000, 07:33 PM
There are many teams in the NFL that carry as many as 6 RB's on the roster.

If I were the coach, I'd carry 5.

2 FB's and 3 HB's.

I'd draft one of those top FB's and sign a street free agent as his backup.

Then I'd have TRich start at HB and have Moreau back him up, with a street free agent or low round draft choice backing him up.<P>

redbrian
12-27-2000, 07:35 PM
FB is not a difficult position to fill IMO.

Mile High Mania
12-27-2000, 10:13 PM
I doubt any of you have seen as many Cardinals games as I have the past few years and for that you should be congratulated. However, I have seen just about every Cardinal game the last few years and you guys are way off on Pittman.

This kid is a stud. I've never seen a guy work so hard for such a crappy team in my life. He's always positive and up beat, practices hard, finishes his runs/blocks, and runs like a bull behind the worst line the NFL has ever seen. He's fast, strong, and can run over you or around you. Is he Dillon? No. Is he better than anyone the Chiefs have? Without a doubt.

Don't let meager stats deceive you, this kid can play. I'd be surprised if the Cards let him go...He's the only player they've got.

Don't forget he beat out Thomas Jones, a player many of you coveted for our Chiefs...

AZ

[This message has been edited by AZChief (edited 12-27-2000).]

Chief Nathan
12-28-2000, 08:23 AM
AZ,

Thank you...As you can see from the 1st Michael Pittman post that I put up that I was saying the samething. The brain trust in here couldn't get the TRich hometown bias out of their eye long enough to see my point.

morphius
12-28-2000, 10:10 AM
TRich works as hard as anyone, has insane physical attributes, AND put up very impressive numbers in limited time on a crappy team.

Not to mention the fact that he's relatively cheap and knows the Chiefs & the offense inside and out.

As bad as the defense was, I can't see Carl spending any significant money or high draft picks on RBs.

Warrior5
12-28-2000, 10:15 AM
Following Clint's point, we gotta look at the Big Picture here Chief fans. We have many holes to fill, and many salaries to slash. Finding a new RB is NOT a high priority when TRich is already signed long-term, with Moreau to back him up. We've got bigger fish to fry, so to speak.

------------------
ct
[b]Give TRich the Ball!!!</B>

milkman
12-28-2000, 11:13 AM
Dillon rejected first offer from the Bungals, but is looking for $5-$7 Mil a year with $10 Mil signing bonus. Ouch. It also appears that Mike Brown can match any offer if they make an offer of $4 Mil by March 1st.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news/ap/20001228/ap-bengals-dillon.html