PDA

View Full Version : Mel Kiper draft grades

DaKCMan AP
04-25-2005, 04:26 PM
He gave out A, A-, B+, B, C+, C

We received a C along with a bunch of other teams.

on espn blowing mike williams some more..

DaKCMan AP
04-25-2005, 04:26 PM
all his draft grades are on espn insider

Ultra Peanut
04-25-2005, 04:35 PM
Kipper's stupid.

jcroft
04-25-2005, 04:36 PM
Does he have any commentary, or just the grade? If there's more, can someone paste it in here?

Merril Hoge
04-25-2005, 04:38 PM
Kipper's stupid.

Yup.

cdcox
04-25-2005, 04:40 PM
Does he have any commentary, or just the grade? If there's more, can someone paste it in here?

Someone posted it earlier, but it was deleted because of a Planet policy not to cross post for-pay content.

jcroft
04-25-2005, 04:43 PM
Someone posted it earlier, but it was deleted because of a Planet policy not to cross post for-pay content.

Oh, okay.

Skip Towne
04-25-2005, 04:46 PM
I love people who can grade drafts before they even play.

Bob Dole
04-25-2005, 04:46 PM
Mel Kiper is a giant booger.

1adam1238
04-25-2005, 04:47 PM
Kiper should start his own tv show as a tv evangelist......whats with the hair?

Bob Dole
04-25-2005, 04:50 PM
Kiper should start his own tv show as a tv evangelist......whats with the hair?

Nostril hair.

Iowanian
04-25-2005, 06:22 PM
He's probably one of the goobers bashing KC, saying they drafted a punter in the 2nd round....like Prisco.

Skip Towne
04-25-2005, 06:26 PM
Well, he was our second pick. Do you expect them to check this stuff out? They spew out so much crap on draft day they just hope nobody catches their FUBARS.

Saulbadguy
04-25-2005, 06:27 PM
Thats news to me. I've posted ESPN Insider content before. I know its illegal, but its never been enforced on here.

Oregon chief
04-25-2005, 06:28 PM
I dont understand how Johnson can get so much pre draft hype, everyone saying he is the best, then when the chiefs get him and trade the #2 for pat surtain every one says we had a bad draft. WTF?!

ROYC75
04-25-2005, 06:29 PM
I dont understand how Johnson can get so much pre draft hype, everyone saying he is the best, then when the chiefs get him and trade the #2 for pat surtain every one says we had a bad draft. WTF?!

Heh, they are just keeping up with tradition.

eazyb81
04-25-2005, 06:30 PM
Honestly, I could give a f#ck what the analysts give us as draft grade. We had an awesome draft and I have never been so excited about one before. We didn't reach for any players, we filled needs, and we got the best damn player in the draft. F#ck the haters.

Bwana
04-25-2005, 06:32 PM
Mel wears his shorts to tight. Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one.

Dave Lane
04-25-2005, 07:03 PM

What about lawsuits for posing as ESPN analysts and using their name and photo as a fabrication?

Dave

Ultra Peanut
04-25-2005, 07:05 PM
What about lawsuits for posing as ESPN analysts and using their name and photo as a fabrication?

DavePretty sure that's protected under parody. ROFL

Skip Towne
04-25-2005, 07:10 PM
I think you can impersonate a sports analyst all you want. It's open season on them.

Skip Towne
04-25-2005, 07:15 PM
Everybody knows you can't evaluate a draft until two years have transpired. These offerings two days after the draft are because the media needs something to print. And apparently, they have plenty of suckers to lap it up.

AZORChiefFan
04-25-2005, 07:19 PM
I have to say if Surtain signed with say Dallas there would have been 'round the clock Surtain watch as he got to dallas, as he met Jerry Jones, Tuna and so on probably even a live broadcast of his press conference. But since it was the Chiefs ESPN just figured no one outside KC cares.

OTOH if we signed a mouthpiece like Meshawn Johnson there woulda been all the ESPN coverage we could handle. Not so much because of it being KC but because it was MeShawn.

This year if the D performs fairly well early and continue to improve most the comments will be in the "Well I am just not sold on the KC D - Yet" or "They really haven't been tested lets see the KC D win the game then maybe I'll start to believe"

Crush
04-25-2005, 08:39 PM
You think Kiper is bad at evaluating drafts. You should have seen his draft "coverage."

Coogs
04-25-2005, 09:24 PM
Remember a couple of years ago when he gave this draft by the Redskins an A....

Round 2 12 44 Taylor Jacobs WR Florida
Round 3 17 81 Derrick Dockery G Texas
Round 7 18 232 Gibran Hamdan QB Indiana

....yet he gives us a C. :shake:

Wallcrawler
04-25-2005, 09:34 PM
Its probably another screwup like the one Priscoe had.

They didnt factor in the Surtain pickup for the Chiefs, but acknowledged the Raiders pickup of Randy Moss.

They said we took Punter with our second round, when in fact the punter was selected with a compensatory pick, which almost makes him a 4th round selection.

Screw em. This is the best offseason that the Chiefs have had in over 10 years. Any Chiefs fan who has followed the team knows that this year has been the best in a long time, so it really doesnt matter what the rest of the dumbasses think.

We got the best defensive player in the draft, Derrick Johnson

We shored up the corner position with 3 time pro bowler Patrick Surtain

We got arguably the best punter available in the draft to hopefully end the carousel of Punters on the special teams.

We added depth at wide receiver with Craphonso Thorpe, a guy with real top end speed, if he has fully recovered from his injury.

We added depth at linebacker with Boomer Grigsby, who should help immediately with our horrid kickoff/punt coverage units.

Most importantly, no reaches or projects were drafted until nearly the very end.

This draft was SOLID. The Chiefs have definately improved the talent pool in this draft.

Manila-Chief
04-25-2005, 09:38 PM
Remember a couple of years ago when he gave this draft by the Redskins an A....

Round 2 12 44 Taylor Jacobs WR Florida
Round 3 17 81 Derrick Dockery G Texas
Round 7 18 232 Gibran Hamdan QB Indiana

....yet he gives us a C. :shake:

On another thread I asked if there was anyway to grade the graders ... as you have above. As Skip (I believe it was him) said, you can't grade a draft until 2 or 3 years later. Maybe if a sports writer would do this it would stop some of this non-sense.

If our 2 2nd. rounders in last years draft were to step up and make a couple of probowls then our grade for last year will go way up!!!

Another issue with grading is they make a big to do over the 2nd. day picks. Most of those guys will get cut or make the PS only ... so why weight a draft grade based on what a team gets the 2nd. day. Especially, since most of the graders talk about a player coming in and helping this coming year. The first day ought to bear 75% of the grade. JMHO

htismaqe
04-26-2005, 05:55 AM
Go ahead and give us a C.

I KNOW how good of a draft we had just by listening to the comments coming from Raider fans and Bronco fans (and Charger FAN)...

deadbabyseal
04-26-2005, 05:58 AM
Mel wears his shorts to tight. Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one.
Some just smell worse than others.

Ron Jaworski
04-26-2005, 08:14 AM
They should've fired Kiper when they had the chance..........

.......Hey, wait a second.

Merril Hoge
04-26-2005, 08:24 AM
They should've fired Kiper when they had the chance.....

I agree. His football knowledge is amateurish at best.

whoman69
04-26-2005, 08:55 AM
On another thread I asked if there was anyway to grade the graders ... as you have above. As Skip (I believe it was him) said, you can't grade a draft until 2 or 3 years later. Maybe if a sports writer would do this it would stop some of this non-sense.

If our 2 2nd. rounders in last years draft were to step up and make a couple of probowls then our grade for last year will go way up!!!

Another issue with grading is they make a big to do over the 2nd. day picks. Most of those guys will get cut or make the PS only ... so why weight a draft grade based on what a team gets the 2nd. day. Especially, since most of the graders talk about a player coming in and helping this coming year. The first day ought to bear 75% of the grade. JMHO
There's a perfectly reasonable way of grading a draft after its happened. Certainly there's no way to know for sure who will be a bust. The way you grade a draft after its done is by grading teams on where they took players vs where they should have gone. For several years the Chiefs have been taking players ahead of where they should have been picked. If you draft Kawika Mitchell in round 2 and he should have went in round 4 or 5 then you have gotten bad draft value. You could have gotten another player in that slot that is rated higher and gotten the player you took in a later round with a less valuable pick. Its why the Clarett pick is a horrible pick for the Broncos, because most thought he would go in the 6th round. DV showed earlier this year he has no idea what draft value is when he said of Jared Allen, "If we had known he was going to be this good, we'd have drafted him earlier." DV you have no clue. That's what the other teams are supposed to say. If you had taken him earlier, then you would not have gotten Kenyaron Fox, whom you wanted in the third. You would have gotten a 4th round talent. If anything, most agreed at the time, without the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, that you could have gotten Allen even later in the draft.