PDA

View Full Version : Az Hakim just cut from Detroit

chief4life
04-25-2005, 04:55 PM
Do we take a stab at him they just reported it on 610. I wouldn't mind he knows are offense. Thoughts

Tuckdaddy
04-25-2005, 04:56 PM
No

Douche Baggins
04-25-2005, 04:59 PM
Welcome to Kansas City, Az.

nychief
04-25-2005, 05:01 PM
If he wants to come to camp for the Vet. min? sure... but I doubt he would.

Frankie
04-25-2005, 05:01 PM
No on Az. But this subject has been recently covered on at least two threads.

Tribal Warfare
04-25-2005, 05:03 PM
Is Peter Warrick still available? If he is I'd take him cheap

HolmeZz
04-25-2005, 05:06 PM
Warrick may get cut.

jcroft
04-25-2005, 05:06 PM
I don't think Az is really what we need at WR. We really need a solid number one type receiver, rather than another smaller slot guy.

That having been said, if he'd come here for cheap, I'd find a place for him in the roster. He'd probably give us a bit better depth -- but he wouldn't fill that need we have a WR.

Deberg_1990
04-25-2005, 05:07 PM
No, we already have Az Hakim, but we call him Dante Hall

FloridaChief
04-25-2005, 05:09 PM

I've heard this somewhere before...

jcroft
04-25-2005, 05:13 PM

I'd rather have two of Dante Hall than one of Dante Hall and one of Johnnie Morton.

Skip Towne
04-25-2005, 05:21 PM
Ramifization - NEVER

Frankie
04-25-2005, 05:26 PM
I've heard this somewhere before...

Yes. I said it. In one of those OTHER THREADS I mentioned earlier!

Deberg_1990
04-25-2005, 05:28 PM
Its pretty much a Guaruntee that DV will at least have him in KC for a talk. Hes pretty much signed every other Ex-Ram. Im half surprised Kurt Warner isnt here.

Mile High Mania
04-25-2005, 05:32 PM
That's what KC needs ... another speedy receiver that is truly no better than a #3 option on any team. I think Az is incredibly too inconsistent, but if what you're looking for is a less stable Eddie Kennison ... go for it.

I don't say that with any resentment either, I just don't see Az as a guy that KC needs to come in. KC needs a more proven and CONSISTENT performer.

That being said... bring him in.

jcroft
04-25-2005, 05:35 PM
That's what KC needs ... another speedy receiver that is truly no better than a #3 option on any team. I think Az is incredibly too inconsistent, but if what you're looking for is a less stable Eddie Kennison ... go for it.

I don't say that with any resentment either, I just don't see Az as a guy that KC needs to come in. KC needs a more proven and CONSISTENT performer.

I agree with everything you said, but I still think he'd probably improve our depth. He's not what we NEED -- what we NEED is a solid, reliable, stud number-one receiver.

But, a little extra depth never hurt anyone, either. If he's cheap enough, it's be a minor upgrade in depth. Any upgrade is an upgrade, no matter how minor.

Skip Towne
04-25-2005, 05:37 PM

Yeah, you just want us to bring him in so we're not going to.

FloridaChief
04-25-2005, 05:43 PM
Yes. I said it. In one of those OTHER THREADS I mentioned earlier!

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2426043&postcount=9

philfree
04-25-2005, 05:46 PM
We've got a whole slough/slew(sp?) of young WRs that need to get a chance to step up. Parker and Thorpe have as much potential as any WRs in the league and speed to burn. We need to get them involved. Who do we cut if Az is on the roster? Who's our 5 WRs gonna be when the season starts?

PhilFree:arrow:

Davechief
04-25-2005, 05:51 PM
See Perriman, Brett or Morton, Johnnie in your Chiefs glossary.

jcroft
04-25-2005, 05:51 PM
We've got a whole slough/slew(sp?) of young WRs that need to get a chance to step up. Parker and Thorpe have as much potential as any WRs in the league and speed to burn. We need to get them involved. Who do we cut if Az is on the roster? Who's our 5 WRs gonna be when the season starts?

Kennison
Parker
Hall
Thorpe
Hakim

What would be wrong with that? I'd think that Hakim would make the roster over Horn or Smith. Most people expect Morton to be cut, right?

jcroft
04-25-2005, 05:52 PM
See Perriman, Brett or Morton, Johnnie in your Chiefs glossary.

See "veteran minimum" in your league glossary.

philfree
04-25-2005, 05:57 PM
Kennison
Parker
Hall
Thorpe
Hakim

What would be wrong with that? I'd think that Hakim would make the roster over Horn or Smith. Most people expect Morton to be cut, right?

What about Boe? Cut him? If he's healthy he's a big part of our game plan. If not only recieving but blocking as well.

TRR
04-25-2005, 06:00 PM
Yes, I would love to add Az Hakim, and cut Johnnie Morton. Hakim would give us a solid number 2 (That's all Morton is) and Morton would get the axe. It would save KC a lot of money.

Az Hakim has been very successfull in this type of offense, and could double as a return guy if Hall got hurt.

Not sold on Parker yet, and Boe is always hurt.

Dinny Blues
04-25-2005, 06:01 PM
Its pretty much a Guaruntee that DV will at least have him in KC for a talk. Hes pretty much signed every other Ex-Ram. Im half surprised Kurt Warner isnt here.

My first thought when I saw the thread title.

Not that I want the guy. Just sayin'..........

Dinny

jcroft
04-25-2005, 06:03 PM
What about Boe? Cut him? If he's healthy he's a big part of our game plan. If not only recieving but blocking as well.

Sorry, I just flat forgot him. My bad.

I dunno. Maybe we don't have a spot for Az (unless we carry six receivers this year). I guess it depends on how the young guys do in training camp. I still think Az would improve our depth, but I agree it's important to get the young guys in there, too.

jcroft
04-25-2005, 06:04 PM
Yes, I would love to add Az Hakim, and cut Johnnie Morton. Hakim would give us a solid number 2 (That's all Morton is) and Morton would get the axe. It would save KC a lot of money.

That was my basic feeling, too. Hakim should be at least as good as Morton has been, but he'd come a lot cheaper. It's just basically a decision that boils down to how important it is to get the young guys a shot this year.

Skip Towne
04-25-2005, 06:08 PM
I'm all for competition but we have enough guys like him.

Logical
04-25-2005, 06:11 PM
Well there is a guy (Hakim) that Johnny Morton would definitely beat out.

Frazod
04-25-2005, 06:14 PM
Wouldn't hurt to bring him in for a look, I guess, but I certainly don't have any strong feelings on the subject.

Miles
If we can get him cheap i think he would be a nice #3 and possibly even a #2. I could easily see him reviving his career with is much in the way Kennison did.

Hoover
I'd take Az over Boe right now if the Money is right.

We have Morton and Kennison and thats it.

If we are going to Cut Morton we will need to replace him.

jcroft
04-25-2005, 06:16 PM

Maybe, but wouldn't you rather have Hakim (out of the two) for the huge difference in salary they would command?

Logical
04-25-2005, 06:17 PM
Maybe, but wouldn't you rather have Hakim (out of the two) for the huge difference in salary they would command?

Is not having either one an option. I sure hope so.

tommykat
04-25-2005, 06:18 PM
I'd take Az over Boe right now if the Money is right.

We have Morton and Kennison and thats it.

If we are going to Cut Morton we will need to replace him.

WTFreak............FOOOOOOOOOO CHITTTTTTT on you.......BO rocks! I say bring in Az but to boot Bo~:mad:

Logical
04-25-2005, 06:18 PM

He really is not very good as a receiver, so this is a tough one. I guess the answer is yes.

Hoover
04-25-2005, 06:19 PM
WTFreak............FOOOOOOOOOO CHITTTTTTT on you.......BO rocks! I say bring in Az but to boot Bo~:mad:
No, Bo rocked like 2 or three years ago. Just like Maz.

tommykat
04-25-2005, 06:21 PM
No, Bo rocked like 2 or three years ago. Just like Maz.

Hey injuries killed us........give him a chance! Bring in Az I agree, but knock off BO????????????:shake::shake::shake::shake:

Hoover
04-25-2005, 06:23 PM
Hey injuries killed us........give him a chance! Bring in Az I agree, but knock off BO????????????:shake::shake::shake::shake:
I just want 5 WRs we can put out on the Field during a game. Bo needs to win his job just like Morton and the rest of the Crew.

jcroft
04-25-2005, 06:26 PM
Is not having either one an option. I sure hope so.

It probably is, but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with it or not:

Kennison - reliable.
Boe - Two years removed from good play, coming off major injury.
Parker - Looked pretty good in three games, but we have no idea what he can do.
Thorpe - Sounds like a good fourth round pick, but he's a fourth round pick.
Hall - We know what we have in Hall, and it's not a quality starting WR.

Outside of Kennison, do you have someone who you are truly comfortable with starting at WR? I know we all expect big things from Boe and Parker, but are you ready to COUNT on it? I'm not sure I am.

To be fair, Hakim is not a great starting WR either, but at least he's an experienced NFL vet and a known quanity. At least if none of these guys (Boe, Parker, Thorpe) performed to their potential we'd have someone to play in their place.

tommykat
04-25-2005, 06:26 PM
I just want 5 WRs we can put out on the Field during a game. Bo needs to win his job just like Morton and the rest of the Crew.

OK, Morton did it........but here on the Planet most think Morton was sushi....

dtebbe
04-25-2005, 06:51 PM

No, we just think he's gay. :thailor:

DT

tommykat
04-25-2005, 06:52 PM
No, we just think he's gay. :thailor:

DT

ROFL

Warrior5
04-25-2005, 06:55 PM
Texans are about to release Aaron Glenn. If only he were a bit younger, and if the Chiefs had some cap room, and if.......

...never mind.

Skip Towne
04-25-2005, 07:03 PM
No, TK, we didn't say he was sushi, we said he was swishy.

tommykat
04-25-2005, 07:05 PM
No, TK, we didn't say he was sushi, we said he was swishy.

FOOOOOO CHIT on you........you knew that was coming Skip...heehee

unlurking
04-25-2005, 07:19 PM
Just say no!!!!

TRR
04-25-2005, 07:24 PM

I highly doubt it. You've got to remember how solid Hakim looked in the Rams system. Heck, Detroit signed him to be their #1 WR.

Az is cheaper, younger (28 years old), and is a better fit in this system then Morton is.

Crush
04-25-2005, 07:50 PM
Kill the twisted dream,
Just say no to Hakim.

Woodrow Call
04-25-2005, 08:18 PM
patience boys, Isaac Bruce might get cut.

That would be the only WR to get IMO. If he doesn't get cut, lets go with what we have.

jspchief
04-25-2005, 08:40 PM
Hakim sucks. The only reason he did what he did was because the Rams were running an offense that no one had seen before, and he had Isaac Bruce and Tory Holt to open things up for him.

Now everyone runs a pass heavy offense, and we don't have WRs that command anything close to the respect that Bruce and Holt did.

What has Hakim done without Bruce and Holt on the field?

I honestly don't get all the animosity for Morton. He's not a stud, but he's been serviceable. He knows the offense, and has been good enough to allow our O to be one of the best in the league.

The only reason I ever hear for replacing Morton is "he's not Morton" or "he's not gay". Does anyone have anything more intelligent than "not gay"? He needs to restructure his contract, but beyond that I can't see replacing him with someone who's currently sacking groceries.

jcroft
04-25-2005, 08:44 PM
The only reason I ever hear for replacing Morton is "he's not Morton" or "he's not gay". Does anyone have anything more intelligent than "not gay"? He needs to restructure his contract, but beyond that I can't see replacing him with someone who's currently sacking groceries.

I agree about Morton. He's been good enough and I'd be happy to keep him if he's willing to restructure.

Wallcrawler
04-25-2005, 08:58 PM
I honestly don't get all the animosity for Morton. He's not a stud, but he's been serviceable. He knows the offense, and has been good enough to allow our O to be one of the best in the league.

Morton sucks. Before Surtain got here, he was probably the best DB on our team. He knocked down more passes than anyone else on our defense, for sure.

Seriously though, Morton needs to go. He drops passes, quits on plays over the middle, and acts like a total bitch in general (phantom achilles injury during training camp comes to mind here...). He's got no speed, so possession receiving was his thing. But he doesnt even have that anymore with all the drops. I cant see the reasoning for backing Morton at all. I say cut him, and get a replacement in here. It wont be too difficult to replace Johnnie's 55 catch, 3 TD season, even if we dont sign another wideout to take his spot.

The difference between him and Kennison is staggering. Morton had 55 catches for 785 yards and 3 TDs.

Kennison caught SEVEN more passes than Morton did, with 62, and racked up 1,086 yards and 8 TDs. 301 more yards on only 7 more catches. And Kennison is always being called a #2 receiver at best.

Id gladly take Az Hakim as a cheap replacement for Johnnie Morton this year. He's fast, and knows the system already. I dont really see how he could be worse than Johnnie Morton.

jspchief
04-25-2005, 09:04 PM
You think Morton has too many drops, but you want Hakim? :spock:

Morton had a lot of drops in '03, but not many in '04. He didn't have any more drops than anyone else on the team. Gonzo leads the team in drops every year.

I'm not saying he's great, but I certainly don't want to replace him with a turd like Hakim. We need real WRs, not more #3 WRs that we try and convert into #1s. If we're going to get rid of a guy that's been part of the best offense over the last 3 years, it had better be for someone thats clearly better.

Wallcrawler
04-25-2005, 09:07 PM
Sorry, I just fail to see how Morton's 55 catches, 785 yards, and meager 3 Touchdown total is looked at as something that will be hard to replace.

The Chiefs dont have to sign Az Hakim, I already stated that they could replace Morton's production from within pretty easily.

If youre going to be a possession guy, you have to catch the ball. Morton doesnt do that well anymore.

At least the other guys the Chiefs have offer some playmaking speed so that once they get the ball, it could be huge. As you see from Morton's stats, once he gets the ball, the play is pretty much over right there.

Kennison broke 1,000 yards on only 7 more catches than Morton. Morton didnt even hit 800.

Morton is too damn slow to keep around, if he isnt going to be a surehanded receiver, and if he is going to quit on plays over the middle.

crossbow
04-25-2005, 09:10 PM
A Saint Louis Player !!!

Vermiel...fighting urge...must suppress...anger rising...temptation building...

Carl !!! Get on the horn and offer the Lions a draft pick before the Raiders get him !!!

DaKCMan AP
04-25-2005, 09:16 PM
Im tired of Detroits castoff WRs. I have heard rumors about Bruce, and I'd much prefer him if he was released.

NJ Chief Fan
04-25-2005, 10:38 PM
im still waitin for issac bruce to be cut...no need for az, cut johnie

were gonna go into the season with
#1 bruce
#2 kennison
#3 boe
#4 hall
#5 parker

Wallcrawler
04-25-2005, 11:43 PM
I was under the impression that Isaac Bruce wasnt a Vermiel fan.

At least I remember that from when Vermiel was in St Louis. Maybe it changed after they won the SB.

Something about the long practices that Vermiel runs that are kinda like boot camps, Bruce just absolutely hated.

It would be nice to have Isaac Bruce as a Chief, but something tells me it wont happen.

KILLER_CLOWN
04-26-2005, 01:55 AM
I would rather bring back Richard Smith, you can't Dick Richard Smith!

Saggysack
04-26-2005, 03:58 AM
I didn't know the 1999 Rams were the first to use the Gillman/Coryell offensive system. Whowouldathunkit...

StcChief
04-26-2005, 05:11 AM
Az is a Ball dropper

skky man
04-26-2005, 07:11 AM
Hay if he can come in cheap it wouldn't hurt we don't need to limp into the start of the season like we did last year with all or WR haveing no time in the preseason and lookin like shit for 3-4 wks while they get there timeing down

Kyle401
04-26-2005, 07:24 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=114710&highlight=hakim

Planet poll.

Ralphy Boy
04-26-2005, 07:26 AM

Yeah, just like in Detroit.

Kyle401
04-26-2005, 07:39 AM
my chief great:
http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/nfl/2003/0801/photo/a_allen_i.jpg

Joe Valerio was great! :thumb:

Ralphy Boy
04-26-2005, 07:44 AM
I was under the impression that Isaac Bruce wasnt a Vermiel fan.

At least I remember that from when Vermiel was in St Louis. Maybe it changed after they won the SB.

Something about the long practices that Vermiel runs that are kinda like boot camps, Bruce just absolutely hated.

It would be nice to have Isaac Bruce as a Chief, but something tells me it wont happen.

You are right, Vermeil called out Bruce in the media back in 97 or 98, calling him their "supposed superstar who can't stay healthy" and it ticked Bruce off. I have the SI Rams Superbowl magazine at the house and that was just about the only quote of Bruce's in the magazine.

Also, how big of a media field day would it be given what Bruce said about the late DT?

Hakim would improve our depth and that is why we should give him a look. I don't seem to recall his having trouble holding onto the ball being a problem in Detroit, he's been banged up. He missed 6 games last year, 3 in 2003 and 6 in 2002. If there are concerns about him, it should be his penchant for getting injured, not his play on the field.

Its not like Morton is going to play here this season anyway, so it's not a matter of getting rid of him for Hakim because he's already a gonner.

Hakim would be a case of bringing in a vet who knows the system very well and excelled in it.

Injuries always hit our WR corps in camp and this way we'd just be better prepared for it. If we go into the season with a healthy group then we could cut him and keep his number on speed dial for when injury does hit, and it will.

Gaz
04-26-2005, 08:28 AM
I would rather see Parker and Boerigter on the field.

xoxo~
Gaz
Ready for some young blood at WR.

jcroft
04-26-2005, 08:36 AM
I would rather see Parker and Boerigter on the field.

xoxo~
Gaz
Ready for some young blood at WR.

I'd rather see Parker and Boerigter on the field, too -- but I wouldn't mind having a veteran backup in place in case they don't perform to expectations. Outside of Kennison (and Morton, if he's here), our WR lineup is full of question marks. I hope that Parker, Boe, and maybe Thorpe can make the team and one of them can step up and be the number two receiver. But I don't see any reason to <em>expect</em> it. Parker has played about three NFL games (and done fairly well, but still...) and Boe is two years removed from quality play.

If we are going to cut Morton, I think we need to being in another veteran. It doesn't have to be a super stud. I still want to see Parker and Boe get their chance to start. I just want to have a reasonable backup plan in place if they don't live up to our hopes.

ChiefsOne
04-26-2005, 10:13 AM
Parker and Dante are AZ types, so we don't need more of them.

TRR
04-26-2005, 10:23 AM
Parker and Dante are AZ types, so we don't need more of them.

Parker and Hall have never put up almost 800 yards and 3 TD's in this style of offense. (Yes I know, Parker hasn't gotten a chance yet.) Hakim could be a great security blanket, and a homerun hitter at the #2 WR spot.

Hakim has been successfull in this offense, has played for Vermeil, is a great return guy, and is only 28 years old. (He would also come cheap)