PDA

View Full Version : Who the heck is Mel Kiper Jr.??

Deberg_1990
04-25-2005, 05:57 PM
Just what are his credentials and background information?? Has this doofus ever even played football?? Why do people think he is such a draft "God" ????

Skip Towne
04-25-2005, 06:00 PM
Kiper didn't play football but he seems pretty in the know about college and pro football. ESPN has kept him around for something like 17 years.

Spicy McHaggis
04-25-2005, 06:00 PM
He's been doing the draft thing since I was born, about 20 years now.

Tribal Warfare
04-25-2005, 06:01 PM
Has this doofus ever even played football

Kiper hasn't played one down of football in his life.

Deberg_1990
He's been doing the draft thing since I was born, about 20 years now.

I realize this but why??? Who appointed him "Draft Guru" and why do people listen to this ass-clown?

Taco John
He's been doing drafts on ESPN for almost 20 years now. Does that make him qualified?

Taco John
04-25-2005, 06:02 PM
I realize this but why??? Who appointed him "Draft Guru" and why do people listen to this ass-clown?

Because he's on TV.

Merril Hoge
04-25-2005, 06:06 PM
Kiper hasn't played one down of football in his life.

Not only that, he's a moron.

tk13
04-25-2005, 06:07 PM
I'm not sure there's anybody else who wants to take the time to know just as much stuff as he knows. I don't really know about his football smarts, but I think he knows more about the entire draft than probably any other "expert" out there, simply because he knows something about everybody. I mean we're talking hundreds and hundreds of players, and he's watched them all play at least a little bit. That is a lot of work.

jcroft
04-25-2005, 06:08 PM
I think the fact that he hasn't ever played football is totally irrelevant to whether or not he knows what he's talking about. I'm not saying this guy is worth a hill of beans, I'm just saying that you can know a helluva lot about football without ever having played.

Deberg_1990
04-25-2005, 06:09 PM
I'm not sure there's anybody else who wants to take the time to know just as much stuff as he knows. I don't really know about his football smarts, but I think he knows more about the entire draft than probably any other "expert" out there, simply because he knows something about everybody. I mean we're talking hundreds and hundreds of players, and he's watched them all play at least a little bit. That is a lot of work.

I think you make a great point. I dont think anybody else wants to put as much effort into it as he has. I have to admit, the dude has carved a nice little "Niche" out for himself on ESPN.

jcroft
04-25-2005, 06:09 PM

He works on the draft 365 days a year. It's ALL he does for ESPN. There's no question that he is the most knowledgable person in the media about these players.

Deberg_1990
04-25-2005, 06:13 PM
Ill never forget that spat he had with Indy's GM back in 1994. Its where i got my thread line. "Who the heck is Mel Kiper Jr.?" Hilarious! He was all over Indy for NOT drafting Trent Dillweed if i remember right??

Skip Towne
04-25-2005, 06:14 PM
Not only that, he's a moron.
You should know alot about morons.

jcroft
04-25-2005, 06:14 PM
So what makes you think he's such an "ass clown?"

|Zach|
04-25-2005, 06:18 PM
I never understood why people don't like the guy.

Deberg_1990
04-25-2005, 06:25 PM
I never understood why people don't like the guy.

I guess hes not that bad....but sometimes he acts as if guys in the 5th,6th 7th rounds are "need" picks. WHen in reality most are training camp/NFL Europe/practice squad fodder. I guess he has to make it entertaining for TV though.

whoman69
04-25-2005, 06:43 PM
Mel Kiper is famous because he was the first of the so called draft experts. He created it all. Mel studied the draft and made himself an expert, was able to make interest in it and parlay it into success. That doesn't mean he's any more correct than any of the other so called media draft experts, just that he was the first.