PDA

View Full Version : The new Xbox

Pants
04-25-2005, 05:32 PM
Pictures of the Xbox 360 (what a gay name :shake: )

Pants
04-25-2005, 05:33 PM

Count Zarth
04-25-2005, 05:35 PM
Fake!

Pants
04-25-2005, 05:35 PM
2 (detachable 40 Gig HDD)

Pants
04-25-2005, 05:36 PM
Fake!

It's real you dumb f*ck. It came from a Microsoft sponsored website.

Count Zarth
04-25-2005, 05:36 PM
It's real you dumb f*ck. It came from a Microsoft sponsored website.

Dude, these are obvious fakes. The photoshopping in the first one is OBVIOUS.

jcroft
04-25-2005, 05:37 PM
These aren't fake. They've been on Endgadget and Gizmodo a number of times the past few days.

Pants
04-25-2005, 05:37 PM
Dude, these are obvious fakes. The photoshopping in the first one is OBVIOUS.

ROFL

That's funny, seeing how it came from www.ourcolony.net

HolmeZz
04-25-2005, 05:38 PM
It looks fake. The arrow design where you put the game in is different in both pics.

Pants
04-25-2005, 05:40 PM
It looks fake. The arrow design where you put the game in is different in both pics.

:shrug:

The first pic came from ourcolony, IDK about the 2nd one.

Count Zarth
04-25-2005, 05:40 PM
These aren't fake. They've been on Endgadget and Gizmodo a number of times the past few days.

The only source I care about is microsoft.

jcroft
04-25-2005, 05:41 PM
The second pic is from Gizmodo.

HolmeZz
04-25-2005, 05:42 PM
I'm with GoatCheese on this one. I'll wait till Microsoft makes a confirmation.

jcroft
04-25-2005, 05:42 PM
The only source I care about is microsoft.

So what you are saying is that any picture of an XBox not published by Microsoft must be fake?

jcroft
04-25-2005, 05:43 PM
I'm with GoatCheese on this one. I'll wait till Microsoft makes a confirmation.

Fine, but just because they haven't been confirmed doesn't mean they aren't real. I don't blame you for taking them with a grain of salt, but insisting they are fake (as gochiefs did) is a different story.

Pants
04-25-2005, 05:44 PM
Well the lighting of the button on the first one looks off, IDK.

jcroft
04-25-2005, 05:48 PM
There are a number of things to remember here:

1. If these are pictures of the XBox 360, they are of pre-production models. Things change all the time in pre-production, which could explain the differences in the two.

2. Just because these are photos, doesn't mean they are official product shots. That could explain the poor photography of the first one, etc.

3. Product shots are almost ALWAYS photoshoped to some degree. Just because you can pinpoint photoshopping doesn't mean they aren't real.

4. Some product shots from major companies (Apple, Sony come to mind) aren't photos at all, but renderings instead.

The bottom line is that these are unconfirmed photos, but the general consensus of the masses is that they are real. You don't have to take my word for it. REad it on engadget or gizmodo for yourself.

carlos3652
04-25-2005, 05:50 PM
I've heard stories that none of the magazines or websites have pics of the new Xbox... only Microsoft has them and they will not show them until Gates shows off his new toy to everyone...

They say these pics were "leaked" from microsoft people, although they might look pretty close to this, these are not the actual picks...

Goat cheese will probably want to be the first one to post the official xbox picks anyways since he is wierd like that (AKA: Adopt a chief)

i adopted mine, im not waiting until august...

Count Zarth
04-25-2005, 05:50 PM
Goat cheese will probably want to be the first one to post the official xbox picks anyways since he is wierd like that (AKA: Adopt a chief)

Heh. Nah. I'm not a console fanboy. I hate 'em.

Pants
04-25-2005, 05:53 PM
I hope Carlos is right. 360 is the gayest name EVAR! I hope it's Xenon or Xbox 2.

jcroft
04-25-2005, 05:54 PM
I'm pretty sure Microsoft HAS publicized the name "360" (which i agree is stupid). I could be wrong, but I think that name is a certainty.

carlos3652
04-25-2005, 06:04 PM
I just know that the system itself is going to rock... I dont care for the name... but Microsft people thought it was cool... The Xbox has come full circle... Hence 360 (as in degrees...)

Its still gay...

Ultra Peanut
04-25-2005, 07:46 PM
XBox 360 is definitely one hell of a stupid name. No doubt about that.

'Course, "XBox" seemed like a pretty stupid name a few years ago, too.

jcroft
04-25-2005, 07:48 PM

Still does, as far as I'm concerned. :)

Valiant
04-25-2005, 08:00 PM
Yeah i am going to go with the 'That aint it group'... Looks to be what they think it will look like...

jcroft
04-25-2005, 08:10 PM
Yeah i am going to go with the 'That aint it group'... Looks to be what they think it will look like...

You can go with whatever group you want, but if you read up on the rumor sites, you'll find that pretty much everyone is convinced this is the real deal.

Crush
04-25-2005, 08:31 PM
Does it come with its own gun?

http://i19.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/ce/63/1a_1_b.JPG

Valiant
04-25-2005, 08:42 PM
You can go with whatever group you want, but if you read up on the rumor sites, you'll find that pretty much everyone is convinced this is the real deal.

Well we will find out at the end of next month, when they demo it....

Pants
04-25-2005, 08:42 PM
Well we will find out at the end of next month, when they demo it....

May 12.

Reaper16
04-25-2005, 08:46 PM
Microsoft is taking a risk by rushing the new XBox out before PS3. It might become the next Dreamcast as a result, especially because the PS3 is many times more powerful than the next-gen XBox.
And who really knows wtf Nintendo's "Revolution" is going to be. They're off in their own world, as usual.

Pants
04-25-2005, 08:49 PM
Microsoft is taking a risk by rushing the new XBox out before PS3. It might become the next Dreamcast as a result, especially because the PS3 is many times more powerful than the next-gen XBox.
And who really knows wtf Nintendo's "Revolution" is going to be. They're off in their own world, as usual.

Whoa, whoa... "Many times more powerful"? Using a brand new media doesn't make a system "many times more powerful".

jcroft
04-25-2005, 08:53 PM
Whoa, whoa... "Many times more powerful"? Using a brand new media doesn't make a system "many times more powerful".

The PS3 is going to use a new media format (other than DVD)?

Spicy McHaggis
04-25-2005, 08:54 PM

fanboy :p

carlos3652
04-25-2005, 08:55 PM

What... Have you read up before posting this... Microsoft is a step ahead of Sony on this... THey have the same technology, but Microsoft will release it before Sony can...

It will not be a dreamcast result... PS3 is not "much more powerful" and Nintendo has to come up with something to apeal to the older crowd... i see these rankings for the next 3 years:

Microsoft #1
Sony #2
Nintendo #3

I cant wait until Microsoft focuses on Portable like sony did... it will be geni(o)us...

Pants
04-25-2005, 08:56 PM
The PS3 is going to use a new media format (other than DVD)?

I believe so. A completely new format - something similar to the blue laser DVD's.

Reaper16
04-25-2005, 08:56 PM

No, but Cell technology does. Find someone in the industry that doesn't think the PS3 is the most powerful of the next-gen consoles. Now, obviously, the new XBox will be comparable, but the PS3 by all accounts should clearly have the technological edge.

jcroft
04-25-2005, 08:57 PM
I believe so. A completely new format - something similar to the blue laser DVD's.

I read they will use either Blu-Ray or DVD-HD (neither of which are new formats).

Reaper16
04-25-2005, 08:58 PM
fanboy :p

Hardly. 'Dems fightin' words. You might as well call me a rascist, or a republican. :)

jcroft
04-25-2005, 08:59 PM
Engadget says the PS3 will use Blu-Ray.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/6706137503747793/

unlurking
04-25-2005, 08:59 PM
Here's a take from Ars. The Imperator is a pretty straight shooter on things.

Also, regarding the new media, PS3 is supposed to support UMD and backwards compatibility with DVD as well. UMD is only 1.8 GB per disk right now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some blu-ray functionality added in to beef that up.

Behold the Xbox 360?

4/23/2005 11:31:53 AM, by Ken "Caesar" Fisher

Viral marketing site OurColony has been slowly but surely teasing Xbox fans with glimpses of what is assumed to be the new Xbox 360 console, which debuts officially on May 12. The vOurColony "game" sends interested players across the 'net looking for the solutions to clever riddles, and they are rewarded by glimpses of what is assumed to be Xbox 360 hardware, or related items. While many have been anxiously playing hoping to get a full peek at the new device, it looks like the latest rumor candidate stems from a so-called "leak." Of course, until the official launch, we can only say that this is possibly the design of the next Xbox, but we can't be sure. It could just as easily be a prank, but hey, it's Saturday.

Above you see what is presumed to be front face of the unit. It sports two memory unit slots, a power button, and the optical drive. What's up with only one controller slot? Supposedly the new Xbox will use wireless controllers, but there is a rumor that there will be a plug-in slot in the back for legacy hardware such as steering wheels, etc. (Others think that it's not a controller slot, but an IR window.) The small circular button would presumably be a reset button. Note the power button, which has a big green circle around it: 360 degrees, you say?

Some people have raised issues with the font used on the "XBOX 360" logo, but it's the exact same styling that is being used on TV spots for the MTV launch. That said, we do have some issues with this image. It's clearly not a photograph, or if it is, it has been touched up. The shadow placement around the power button looks reverse of what it should be. Also, if you judge by the size of the optical slot, this Xbox 360 would be smaller than the current Xbox. With three 3.0GHz PowerPC CPUs inside, we expect something a tad bit larger, especially since it doesn't appear to be very deep. To wit, check out the following image which was also "leaked."

You'll notice two things immediately. In this picture, the optical drive eject button has an arrow pointing up, whereas in the previous picture, it points left. Also, in this last picture, "memory" is all lower case, but the M is capitalized in the top shot. Also, on the left where the hard drive is attached, there is a notch, or perhaps an LED indicator for drive activity or status. This is missing in the top image, as well. These kind of inconsistencies leave us with a few options. They could both be mock-ups, either created by Microsoft, or by someone with a lot of free time wanting to pull a hoax. The top image just drips of mock-up, so that's where my money it. I'd guess that, if it's not a fake, it's an early stage rendition of what the actual shipping unit might look like. The bottom image may be the real deal; it certainly looks less cheesy and fake.

jcroft
04-25-2005, 09:02 PM
Here's a take from Ars. The Imperator is a pretty straight shooter on things.

Also, regarding the new media, PS3 is supposed to support UMD and backwards compatibility with DVD as well. UMD is only 1.8 GB per disk right now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some blu-ray functionality added in to beef that up.

Blu-ray does not qualify as "new media." Blu-ray has been spec'd for a couple of years and will be the next DVD standard. I don't think anyone can complain that Sony uses Blu-ray -- it's as standard a format as they could have used if they wanted more than 8GB on a disc.

unlurking
04-25-2005, 09:02 PM
No, but Cell technology does. Find someone in the industry that doesn't think the PS3 is the most powerful of the next-gen consoles. Now, obviously, the new XBox will be comparable, but the PS3 by all accounts should clearly have the technological edge.

Which is EXACTLY why M$ needs to release the XBOX 2 ahead of the PS3. Need to get market growth BEFORE the PS3 comes out, and have a heavy board of titles ready by XMas.

Pants
04-25-2005, 09:04 PM
Engadget says the PS3 will use Blu-Ray.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/6706137503747793/

That's a really old article (Aug, 2004).

Here's the new shit:

"According to a report by the Nihon Keizai Shimbun, the next-generation format war may be over before it ever starts. The Japanese newspaper on Thursday published with news that Sony and Toshiba are expected to make an announcement later this month that they have abandoned the Blu-ray and HD-DVD formats respectively and are working on a new medium that will bring together both standards."

Link: http://cube.ign.com/articles/606/606538p1.html

unlurking
04-25-2005, 09:05 PM
Blu-ray does not qualify as "new media." Blu-ray has been spec'd for a couple of years and will be the next DVD standard. I don't think anyone can complain that Sony uses Blu-ray -- it's as standard a format as they could have used if they wanted more than 8GB on a disc.
Yeah, but my understanding was that they would be using UMD, which is 100% proprietary. Now UMD only has 1.8GB capacity, so I can't imagine it uses blu-ray which is supposed to support 50GB on a DVD sized disc (UMD being a bit smaller than mini disc).

However, I can see them combining blu-ray media in the UMD format.

Pants
04-25-2005, 09:06 PM

Cell technology is a pretty name for using 3 processors simultaneoulsy. Guess what? Xbox2 will be using 3 3.0 Ghz processors.

unlurking
04-25-2005, 09:08 PM

Here's the new shit:

"According to a report by the Nihon Keizai Shimbun, the next-generation format war may be over before it ever starts. The Japanese newspaper on Thursday published with news that Sony and Toshiba are expected to make an announcement later this month that they have abandoned the Blu-ray and HD-DVD formats respectively and are working on a new medium that will bring together both standards."

Don't expect that to be ready in time for XMas launch however, and that is also intended for less proprietary uses, such as replacing the DVD player.

UMD, which is solely owned by Sony, will likely be a staple for the PS3 as it is already available, multiple movie studios are releasing movies on it, and you will likely never be able to buy a burner to copy games (hardware manufacturers would have to license the tech from Sony, and I doubt that happens).

jcroft

Here's the new shit:

Okay, but it doesn't matter. As long as it's Blu-ray OR DVD-HD, it's not a new format. Those specs have been existing for quite some time. It remains to be seen which one will become the new standard, but it's basically going to be whichever one Sony throws its support behind.

In other words, the PS3 will probably choose the standard between two existing formats: Blu-Ray and DVD-HD. Sony has not come up with a new, propriatary format here (like the did with the PSP and UMD).

KCWolfman
Not backwards compatible? Not interested for at least a year.

jcroft
04-25-2005, 09:09 PM
Yeah, but my understanding was that they would be using UMD, which is 100% proprietary. Now UMD only has 1.8GB capacity, so I can't imagine it uses blu-ray which is supposed to support 50GB on a DVD sized disc (UMD being a bit smaller than mini disc).

However, I can see them combining blu-ray media in the UMD format.

I would imagine it would be a drive that supports both formats, rather than a combining of the formats.

Pants
04-25-2005, 09:11 PM
Okay, but it doesn't matter. As long as it's Blu-ray OR DVD-HD, it's not a new format. Those specs have been existing for quite some time. It remains to be seen which one will become the new standard, but it's basically going to be whichever one Sony throws its support behind.

In other words, the PS3 will probably choose the standard between two existing formats: Blu-Ray and DVD-HD. Sony has not come up with a new, propriatary format here (like the did with the PSP and UMD).

I said it was similar to the blue ray. If they do it, it'll be considered a new format, regardless of your opinion.

jcroft
04-25-2005, 09:11 PM
Don't expect that to be ready in time for XMas launch however, and that is also intended for less proprietary uses, such as replacing the DVD player.

UMD, which is solely owned by Sony, will likely be a staple for the PS3 as it is already available, multiple movie studios are releasing movies on it, and you will likely never be able to buy a burner to copy games (hardware manufacturers would have to license the tech from Sony, and I doubt that happens).

That's absurd. There's NO WAY Sony would make a PS3 that wasn't compatible with all of the following:

CD
DVD
UMD
And either Blu-Ray or DVD-HD, if not both.

jcroft
04-25-2005, 09:12 PM
I said it was similar to the blue ray. If they do it, it'll be considered a new format, regardless of your opinion.

Actually, you said it would be similar to "blue laser." :D

My opinion? It's not my opinion. There are already DVD-HD and Blu-Ray devices out there on sale today. It's NOT a new format.

Plus, it would be backwards compatible with DVD, so what's the big f'ing deal?

Pants
04-25-2005, 09:13 PM
Actually, you said it would be similar to "blue laser." :D

My opinion? It's not my opinion. There are already DVD-HD and Blu-Ray devices out there on sale today. It's NOT a new format.

Plus, it would be backwards compatible with DVD, so what's the big f'ing deal?

Blue laser = old name for blue ray. You know what I meant. I usually don't give a shit about PS so I'm not as educated. However, the article did say it was going to be a brand new format.

unlurking
04-25-2005, 09:14 PM
That's absurd. There's NO WAY Sony would make a PS3 that wasn't compatible with all of the following:

CD
DVD
UMD
And either Blu-Ray or DVD-HD, if not both.
The comment was in regards to a new combined format to be worked on WITH Toshiba.

I seriously doubt they can accomplish that at this late stage in the PS3 development.

unlurking
04-25-2005, 09:16 PM
Blu-Ray is NOT compatible with DVD, which is why these conversations are taking place. HD-DVD is a less advanced standard, but IS compatible with DVD.

Reaper16
04-25-2005, 09:30 PM
I usually don't give a shit about PS so I'm not as educated.

Well there ya' go.

Pants
04-25-2005, 09:32 PM
Well there ya' go.

Still more educated than you! :)

Reaper16
04-25-2005, 10:05 PM
Still more educated than you! :)
:)

Read up on the Cell btw. It's a multicore design featuring one main 5ghz processor and 8 "synergistic cores." It has a dual core Power5 architecture front end and 8 128 bit (that is four 32 bit operations per clock) and since Cell allows for each operation to be done at equal speed... every operation can be performed at 5 ghz.

It's powerful stuff, certainly more powerful than what Microsoft is putting out. The Cell's power will really show itself when it can devote numerous operations to specific tasks, like texturing, and on-screen animation, etc. The actual on-screen graphics between the two should be more comparable than people think, but PS3 will show its power in the subtle ways.

Either way, I'm obviously getting both. :) Gaming is one of my passions.

htismaqe
04-26-2005, 06:05 AM

They should have called it XBox Longhorn.

htismaqe
04-26-2005, 06:06 AM
:)

Read up on the Cell btw. It's a multicore design featuring one main 5ghz processor and 8 "synergistic cores." It has a dual core Power5 architecture front end and 8 128 bit (that is four 32 bit operations per clock) and since Cell allows for each operation to be done at equal speed... every operation can be performed at 5 ghz.

It's powerful stuff, certainly more powerful than what Microsoft is putting out. The Cell's power will really show itself when it can devote numerous operations to specific tasks, like texturing, and on-screen animation, etc. The actual on-screen graphics between the two should be more comparable than people think, but PS3 will show its power in the subtle ways.

Either way, I'm obviously getting both. :) Gaming is one of my passions.

Sounds like the pre-release hype for the PS2. And it CERTAINLY shows how powerful it is all the time - by stuttering and stammering through any game with more than 10 moving objects on the screen at once.

Ultra Peanut
04-26-2005, 08:27 AM
They should have called it XBox Longhorn.ROFL

Sounds like the pre-release hype for the PS2. And it CERTAINLY shows how powerful it is all the time - by stuttering and stammering through any game with more than 10 moving objects on the screen at once.Indeed.