PDA

View Full Version : Battle for the Starting Linebacker spots ....

royr17
04-25-2005, 06:59 PM
I just read that Derrick Johnson and Scott Fujita will compete for the LOLB spot.

Bell, Maz, Scanlon, and Grigsby will compete for the MLB spot.

and that Fox and and Mitchell will compete for the ROLB spot.

What do you guys think about this ?

jcroft
04-25-2005, 07:01 PM
I think it'd be better if we could find a way to have either:

Johnson, Bell, Barber

or

Johnson, Bell, Fujita

on the field at the same time, but it doesn't sound like it's gonna happen.

Coogs
04-25-2005, 07:02 PM
I like it a lot.

Fox, Bell, Johnson

tk13
04-25-2005, 07:03 PM
Kendrell Bell isn't competing with anybody.

HolmeZz
04-25-2005, 07:07 PM
Kendrell Bell isn't competing with anybody.

And neither is Scanlon. ;)

royr17
04-25-2005, 07:07 PM
Johnson at LOLB, Bell at MLB, and Fox at ROLB would be awesome.

chop
04-25-2005, 07:13 PM
Vermeil said that it was to early to make those decisions. It's still up in the air who's competing with who.

oaklandhater
04-25-2005, 07:15 PM
Johnson Better Start Day one or some cheif fans are going to be pissed!

eazyb81
04-25-2005, 07:19 PM
Vermeil has no idea who the starting LBs will be next year, Gun is going to make that decision. We all know how Vermeil hates to admit that a rookie might play more then a guy already on the team, so he is just trying to let the current LBs relax. I have 100% confidence that Gun will play the 3 best LBs, and I think it will be DJ, Bell, and Barber (if he's healthy).

Anyone else notice how our LBs have gone from a weak point on the team to suddenly a huge strength? We now have Bell, Barber, DJ, Fujita, Fox, Mitchell, and Grigsby....that is sweet.

Hoover
04-25-2005, 07:20 PM
I like it a lot.

Fox, Bell, Johnson
That would be the best thing. If Fox can win the job, we would have a nice young fast LB corp.

Fairplay
04-25-2005, 07:40 PM
Trust me, and i've talked to many Steelers fans who know, Bell will take any of our LB's to school without question.

Skip Towne
04-25-2005, 07:43 PM
Vermeil has no idea who the starting LBs will be next year, Gun is going to make that decision. We all know how Vermeil hates to admit that a rookie might play more then a guy already on the team, so he is just trying to let the current LBs relax. I have 100% confidence that Gun will play the 3 best LBs, and I think it will be DJ, Bell, and Barber (if he's healthy).

Anyone else notice how our LBs have gone from a weak point on the team to suddenly a huge strength? We now have Bell, Barber, DJ, Fujita, Fox, Mitchell, and Grigsby....that is sweet.
Yeah, we're in very good shape at LB. And we're in good shape at CB. A complete reversal from last year.

jcroft
04-25-2005, 07:45 PM
Yeah, we're in very good shape at LB. And we're in good shape at CB. A complete reversal from last year.

We're in okay shape at CB -- starters look good, I'm not sure about nickel and dime, but we'll be good enough. Definitely a huge improvement.

eazyb81
04-25-2005, 07:57 PM
We're in okay shape at CB -- starters look good, I'm not sure about nickel and dime, but we'll be good enough. Definitely a huge improvement.

I think Sapp will be a good nickel, and McCleon will be serviceable as a dimeback. McCleon sucked so bad last year because he was a starter, no way should he have ever been a starting CB in this league.

Rudy lost the toss
04-25-2005, 08:22 PM

I don't know how you could Say LB is a huge strength. Fujita, Barber, and Bell will be coming off of injuries. When healthy, Fujita is only a mediocre starting LB. Mitchell could do well at OLB, but so far he has proven he is backup material. Johnson and Grigsby haven't played a down in the NFL. Fox, while he does have a lot of potential, did absolutely nothing last year. Sure the LBs have potential to be a huge strength, but right now there are too many question marks.

as for nickelback, I think McCleon would make a good one. Sapp as the dimeback.

eazyb81
04-25-2005, 08:28 PM
I don't know how you could Say LB is a huge strength. Fujita, Barber, and Bell will be coming off of injuries. When healthy, Fujita is only a mediocre starting LB. Mitchell could do well at OLB, but so far he has proven he is backup material. Johnson and Grigsby haven't played a down in the NFL. Fox, while he does have a lot of potential, did absolutely nothing last year. Sure the LBs have potential to be a huge strength, but right now there are too many question marks.

as for nickelback, I think McCleon would make a good one. Sapp as the dimeback.

My opinion of the LBs is based on them being healthy. Of course injuries could play a factor, but all three of the players you named should be healthy by the time the season starts (Bell and Fuj for sure). Mitchell and Fox are young and have a ton of potential, Mitchell improved a lot last year at the end of the season.

Every team's LBs have question marks at this time of the year, but I think ours has a ton of potential. Mitchell, Fox, and Fujita will probably be our backups this coming season.....a few months ago those could have been our starters.

petegz28
04-25-2005, 08:29 PM
It's gonna be Fujita, Bell, Johnson

Mr. Laz
04-25-2005, 09:04 PM
pass the coke ... i want some

if things go right and people get healthy we MIGHT be decent at linebacker and MIGHT be decent at cornerback.

Bell needs to stay healthy and he hasn't ever player 4-3 mlb in the nfl

Derrick johnson has tons of potiential but he's still a rook

the rest of our linebackers we all part of our stinky @ss defense before

surtain is proven ... we hope that warfield can hold up now that he's gonna be consider the target.

nickleback?? we don't have a clue right now

we have much better potiential right now ... but we have along way to go.

siberian khatru
04-25-2005, 09:07 PM
Patrick Surtain is competing withi Dexter McCleon and William Bartee for the starting CB job opposite Warfield.

First place gets the job.
Second place gets a set of steak knives.
Third place gets fired.

Woodrow Call
04-25-2005, 09:32 PM
I thought Mitchell was playing better than any of the other LBs at the end of the season. I think he will win the spot and line up with Bell and Johnson. Put Mitchell on the outside and he can use that speed of his and not be clogged up in the middle. I saw a different Kawika toward the end of the season that I liked. He was finally healthy for the 1st time in 2 years and had adjusted to Gun's scheme.

Last 4 games:
Mitchell averaged almost 9 (8.75) tackles a game
Fujita averaged around 7 (7.25) tackles a game

Why does Fujita always get the free pass?

Just the opinion of a Kawika apologist.

rocks
04-25-2005, 09:33 PM
Has anyone seen DJ tackle?? I think if he can do that he is surely going to start.

whoman69
04-25-2005, 09:51 PM
IMO if we want to play our three best linebackers, its Fuji, Bell and DJ. We know nothing about Fox. What, Mitchell can make the transition from the middle but Fuji can't go from strong side to weak side?

Coogs
04-25-2005, 09:54 PM
Patrick Surtain is competing withi Dexter McCleon and William Bartee for the starting CB job...

First place gets the job.

ROFL

Coogs
04-25-2005, 09:59 PM
Why does Fujita always get the free pass?

Damned if I know. I guess 'cause his sucky play was less sucky than the other LB's the past two years.

I wonder if they didn't put Fox out there because we already had one young guy going in Mitchell, AND, mathematicly we were still in the playoff chase right up to the bloody finish last season.

yoswif
04-26-2005, 05:02 AM
Since Bell played in a 3-4 with Pittsburg, I wouldn't assume he'll be the starting MLB. I thought Mitchell's play surpassed Fujita's by the end of '04'. ROLB is a good spot for Bell to blitz from and he's a very good blitzer. Right now, I'm leaning towards Bell on the right, Mitchell in the middle, and DJ at left LB to start the season.

tk13
04-26-2005, 05:20 AM
Since Bell played in a 3-4 with Pittsburg, I wouldn't assume he'll be the starting MLB. I thought Mitchell's play surpassed Fujita's by the end of '04'. ROLB is a good spot for Bell to blitz from and he's a very good blitzer. Right now, I'm leaning towards Bell on the right, Mitchell in the middle, and DJ at left LB to start the season.
I think it's possible. At least if Kawika keeps improving. I think he has has improved quite a bit, I think he has the potential to be a solid MLB. He's still got work to do though. Unlike a lot of our other "projects": Bartee, Battle, etc... he does do some positive things out there. Really though I like Barber more than just about anyone on this board it seems. I hope he comes back healthy like Carl and DV seem to think is possible. I think a healthy Barber-Bell-DJ combo would be our best LB group. I think Kawika has a chance to change my mind though... especially entering his 3rd season healthy.

DaWolf
04-26-2005, 05:25 AM
I like Barber too. I dunno how the injury affects his speed but he came here known as a fast, ballhawking LB and maybe getting some talent around him and a full year in Gun's D will bring that back...

Rukdafaidas
04-26-2005, 05:51 AM
Battle for the Starting Linebacker spots
I don't think Julian Battle is big enough to compete at Linebacker.
:)

Cochise
04-26-2005, 06:18 AM
Is this from the Star BB?

htismaqe
04-26-2005, 07:13 AM
I like it a lot.

Fox, Bell, Johnson

That would be my preference too, unless Barber is healthy. I know it's a big gamble but I prefer the unknown in Fox to the known in the rest of the scrubs we have.